PDA

View Full Version : [Items] Spoils of the Night

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-11, 11:39 AM
I can't ever figure out how to properly apply prices (the guidelines drive me insane), so let me know if they seem a little off.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Net of the Dreamcatcher
This net woven from the threads of a dreamcatcher (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543041 18;start=0#0) functions as a +1 ghost touch net. The net is invisible to all but the wielder, though once the wielder releases it becomes invisible once again. The target loses half their dexterity bonus to AC when attacked by this net.

Entangled creatures can escape with a 30 escape artist check (a full-round action). This net has 15 hit points and can be burst with a DC 35 Strength check (also a full-round action).

Faint Telekinesis; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, control object, eradicate invisibility; Price 24,480 gp; Cost 12,480 gp + 960 XP.

Amulet of Whale Song
This appears as a choker of thick grey whale leather etched with Darfellan runes. Its clasp is made from a living barnacle that grabs ahold of the throat. Those who wear this clasp can use Perform (sing) underwater even though they cannot breathe water. This is more like a forceful humming than singing, and words are not intelligible, but you are able to produce bardic music effects. The maximum distance of such effects (where applicable) is unchanged.

Once per day when you sing while under the surface of an ocean you may use one of your daily uses of Bardic Music to attract a baleen whale. This functions in all ways as the Summon Nature's Ally V spell.

Moderate Conjuration; CL 10th; Craft Wonderous Item, summon nature's ally V; Price 18,000 gp.

Dreamstone
The dreamstone appears as a pitch black opal of perfect symetry with strange roaming lights deep within. This light occassionally flashes, showing strange scenes that disapear so quickly its easy to believe it was merely your imagination. The stone is nearly frictionless, feeling as liquid glass, its shape occassionally contorting and growing slightly larger or smaller. It is said to be a dreamscape captured by its own dreamer and shrunk and crystalized into its purest form.

Creatures with an intelligence score that wields the dreamstone are capable of normal sleep, and are affected by spells and powers dealing with dreams and sleep even if they would normally by immune, such as dragons and elves. Even intelligent undead and other creatures that are normally immune to mind-affecting effects may be affected. The stone subsequently grants a +10 competence bonus on lucid dreaming checks.

Once per day the wielder may also use Dream Travel as the power, manifester level 13th.

Strong telepathy and psychoportation, ML 17th, Craft Universal Item, creator must have 10 ranks in Lucid Dreaming, dream travel, psychic chirurgery; Price 93,300

-=-=-=-=-=-

Bowl of the Golden Waters
This simple looking clay bowl when set down automatically moves itself to the hand of the nearest sleeping creature within 1000 feet. It then fills with a strange-smelling water. When this creature awakes it finds that they have suffered an uncontrolled relaxing of the bladder. Until cleaned, these creatures may be detected at half again the normal range by creatures with the Scent ability for 1d4 hours.

Faint Conjuration and Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wonderous Item, Create Water, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation; Price 100 gp; Weight 1/2 lb.[/center]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-11, 11:45 AM
These look fine to me.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-11, 12:15 PM
That last one would spoil anyone's night.

TruthHidesNothing
2006-09-11, 01:26 PM
All three are nice and all, but you can usually come up with ideas far better then these ones.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-11, 01:33 PM
All three are nice and all, but you can usually come up with ideas far better then these ones.
Well, I don't make many items, but those I have appear to me to be on the same level as these.

Then again I've already noticed my favorite creations are rarely other folks', while some of what I think is crud is wildly popular.

TruthHidesNothing
2006-09-11, 02:48 PM
The syndrome of brilliance, no doubt.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:36 PM
Amulet of Whale Song
This appears as a choker of thick grey whale leather etched with Darfellan runes. Its clasp is made from a living barnacle that grabs ahold of the throat. Those who wear this clasp can use Perform (sing) underwater even though they cannot breathe water. This is more like a forceful humming than singing, and words are not intelligible, but you are able to produce bardic music effects. The maximum distance of such effects (where applicable) is unchanged.

Does this ability grant you the ability to breathe underwater? Because I've personally found it difficult to sing in situations when I can't draw breath.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-11, 07:49 PM
Does this ability grant you the ability to breathe underwater? Because I've personally found it difficult to sing in situations when I can't draw breath.
This is assuming you aren't drowning. Whales can't breathe underwater but they can still sing. This is very much alike to the Sunken Song feat in Frostburn made specifically for non-water breathing species.

Raum
2006-09-11, 07:56 PM
I can't ever figure out how to properly apply prices (the guidelines drive me insane), so let me know if they seem a little off. It's not just you, the item creation rules are one of the more derided rulesets in D&D.

Net of the Dreamcatcher
This net woven from the threads of a dreamcatcher (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543041 18;start=0#0) functions as a +1 ghost touch net. The net is invisible to all but the wielder, though once the wielder releases it becomes invisible once again. The target loses half their dexterity bonus to AC when attacked by this net.

Entangled creatures can escape with a 30 escape artist check (a full-round action). This net has 15 hit points and can be burst with a DC 35 Strength check (also a full-round action).

Faint Telekinesis; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, control object, eradicate invisibility; Price 24,480 gp; Cost 12,480 gp + 960 XP.It should probably detect as either Necromancy (for ghost touch) or Evocation (for force effects) instead of Telekinesis...particularly since Telekinesis isn't a school of magic.

Amulet of Whale Song

Once per day when you sing while under the surface of an ocean you may use one of your daily uses of Bardic Music to attract a baleen whale. This functions in all ways as the Summon Nature's Ally V spell.

Moderate Conjuration; CL 10th; Craft Wonderous Item, summon nature's ally V; Price 18,000 gp.Emphasis added. Does this give bardic ability to non-bards? If so, at what level? If not, you may wish to rephrase...

Bowl of the Golden Waters
This simple looking clay bowl when set down automatically moves itself to the hand of the nearest sleeping creature within 1000 feet. It then fills with a strange-smelling water. When this creature awakes it finds that they have suffered an uncontrolled relaxing of the bladder. Until cleaned, these creatures may be detected at half again the normal range by creatures with the Scent ability for 1d4 hours.

Faint Conjuration and Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wonderous Item, Create Water, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation; Price 100 gp; Weight 1/2 lb.[/center]Hehe! You may want to add a negative Charisma modifier for the same amount of time.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:57 PM
Yes, but whales can stay underwater for periods best measured in increments of half on hour. The average human not trained to hold their breath can be forced to do so for two minutes or so. The average human can hold their breath comfortably for about forty seconds.

Once more, it will be said. Adventurers aren't average humans. Or whatever race they are for that matter. Bah, humbug.

EDIT: simu-post. You know what I'm talking about, VT.

fangthane
2006-09-11, 09:02 PM
Drowning for adventurers isn't that far off - you get double your con score in rounds, then you get into increasing save-or-die rolls every round starting at 10 - so the average person is still going to last about 2 minutes, generally, 3-4 for the fittest specimens.

For the net:
The cost to incorporate the invisibility effects looks like about 12k (invis: sl2*cl3*2000 gp), and the price for the net +1 ghost touch would be 8k (+2 total equivalent) + the price of the net itself, so you can probably reduce it a bit if you prefer; it needn't be more than about 20500 gold or thereabouts.

For the Amulet, it's tough to say what reduction should be applied on the basis of its requiring a use of bardic music to be expended. I'd tend to say that balances out with allowing other bardic music performances though. In any case, the other cost amounts to SL5*CL9*2000/5 (one per day) = 18000 so your price of, hmm, what was it, I know I have it handy somewhere, anyway, I recall it being not too far off anyhow. ;)
I'm not going to bother pricing the Bowl; that's just too juvenile for me. However, it should either cost a lot more or allow a will save (if at a penalty, that also increases its price but not as much) to avoid its effects.

Edit - I'm assuming you meant "becomes visible again" when the net's released, right?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-11, 09:48 PM
It should probably detect as either Necromancy (for ghost touch) or Evocation (for force effects) instead of Telekinesis...particularly since Telekinesis isn't a school of magic.
However, Telekinesis is a psionic Discipline ;)

"Faint Telekinesis; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor"

Emphasis added. Does this give bardic ability to non-bards? If so, at what level? If not, you may wish to rephrase...
*shrugs*

Copied that bit straight from the feat.

Hehe! You may want to add a negative Charisma modifier for the same amount of time.
Naw, just wear a dark suit.

Yes, but whales can stay underwater for periods best measured in increments of half on hour. The average human not trained to hold their breath can be forced to do so for two minutes or so. The average human can hold their breath comfortably for about forty seconds.

Once more, it will be said. Adventurers aren't average humans. Or whatever race they are for that matter. Bah, humbug.
So for those 40 seconds or so you can sing beautifully. Again, that bit is from an already published feat.

I'm not going to bother pricing the Bowl; that's just too juvenile for me. However, it should either cost a lot more or allow a will save (if at a penalty, that also increases its price but not as much) to avoid its effects.
Its in the 'funniest item' category and is the first thing that came to me ;)

When you are asleep I believe you automatically fail saves if I remember correctly.

But considering its only effects is a smell...

Edit - I'm assuming you meant "becomes visible again" when the net's released, right?
No, only the wielder or those with true seeing or the like can see it. Once it leaves his hands he can no longer see it. Thats why its targets don't get part of their dex bonus.

Brickwall
2006-09-11, 10:30 PM
The Bowl functions on dry land. They wet themselves. People will know. The innkeeper may get angry. I love it.

Now introduce it to Dragonlance. With Kender.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-12, 08:05 AM
Now introduce it to Dragonlance. With Kender.

...BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Ahem, oops, sorry, must've triggered my evil laugh reflex. Sorry about that.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-12, 09:57 AM
Net of the Dreamcatcher
(Emphasis added).

Could you clairify? Do you mean Invisible to the Wielder again, or do you mean visible again?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-12, 10:07 AM
(Emphasis added).

Could you clairify? Do you mean Invisible to the Wielder again, or do you mean visible again?

Yes, invisible to the wielder.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-13, 11:01 AM
Added an additional item, the Dreamstone.