PDA

View Full Version : Sorcelator (Twin Wands) [4e Paragon Path]

Alteran
2009-02-27, 12:01 AM
This is an attempt to recreate the Sorcelator (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/5/19/the-song-of-the-sorcelator-part-one/) in convenient paragon path form. Fans of this character will understand, and I advise those who are unaware of Grimm Shado to follow the link back there, as well as this one (http://tsots.pbwiki.com/Sorcelator).

I was unable to use the material given word-for-word, for several reasons. First of all, Grimm Shado is a unique character, and this is about Sorcelators in general. There was also not quite enough material to make a paragon path, so I had to make some stuff up about combining elementials (not elements), which I believe does not exist in Song of the Sorcelator canon. Finally, there are two lines of continuity in the SotS series: one in which Grimm Shado wields twin wands, and another in which he has triple wand-claws. I actually plan to do both of these. I'm sure some of you wondered why I didn't make this a Sorcerer paragon path instead of a Wizard one, and this is one of there reasons. I will be making a Sorcelator paragon path for the Sorcerer after it is released in the PHBII, following the triple wand-claws line of continuity. The fact that Sorcerers get daggers as implements makes this even smoother. Enjoy!

Sorcelator (Twin Wands)

Want an image? Here's (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/5/19/the-song-of-the-sorcelator-part-one/) an image! I didn't post it directly here because of possible copyright issues.

Steadying himself atop the speeding Lamborghini, the Sorcelator drew his twin wands – Hurt, and Burn. He was going to make damn sure the Pirate Assassins and their metal friends rued this day, and rued it hard.

You are no ordinary Wizard. You are a Sorcelator, a master of extreme magic. Elementials are the fundamental forces of the world, and the Sorcelator’s great power comes from their manipulation. Most Sorcelators are born with an affinity for one elemential. In the core of the world lies the Source Well, an entangled mass of different elemential strands. These strands of pure magic twist and mingle, fighting a never-ending battle for balance. Some Sorcelators can learn to use their connection to the elementials to tap into the Source Well itself, allowing them to unleash the power of different elementials upon their foes. You have been given great power, and with great power comes great awesomeness. As a Sorcelator, your life will be intense, and pulse-pounding to the maxx.

Prerequisites: Wizard Class, Wand of Accuracy implement mastery

Sorcelator Path Features

Elemential Ties (11th level): Select an energy type (elemential) from the following list: cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant. That elemential is considered to be your manifested elemential. Many of your Sorcelator powers and abilities relate to your manifested elemential, and when you choose an elemential to manifest, you cannot change your decision. A power with the Elemential keyword deals damage of your manifested elemential, and is considered to have the keyword for that type of damage.

Elemential Control (11th level): When wielding a wand in each hand you ignore resistance to your manifested elemential. If a target is immune to that damage type, you instead treat them as having resistance equal to half their level.

Extreme Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you score critical hits on attack rolls of 17-20 until the end of your turn.

Elemential Mastery (16th level): When wielding a wand in each hand, your arcane attacks that deal damage of your manifested elemential deal extra damage equal to your dexterity modifier. Increase damage to dexterity modifier +2 at level 21.

Sorcelator Powers

Twin Wand Blast
Channeling elemential powers, you let loose two blasts of arcane energy at your foes.
Encounter * Arcane, Elemential, Implement
Standard Action – Ranged 20
Requirement: You must be wielding two wands.
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex, two attacks
Hit: 2d6 + intelligence modifier damage, and ongoing 10 damage (save ends).

Deny the Mondo-Uncool
With a twist and a scoff, you easily dodge an adversary’s attack.
Encounter * Arcane
Immediate Interrupt – Personal
Trigger: An enemy you have hit with an attack in the current encounter hits you with an attack.
Effect: The attack misses.

Source Well Vortex
You tap into the Source Well, the pool of arcane power at the centre of the world, to create a devastating blast of elemential power that strips your enemies of resistances.
Daily * Arcane, Cold, Fire, Force, Implement, Lightning, Necrotic, Radiant, Zone
Standard Action – Area Burst 3 within 20
Requirement: You must be wielding two wands.
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, and radiant damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of elemential energy. Enemies within the zone lose all resistances.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

EDIT: I had some balance concerns with the last power, but I decided it was fair in the end. I was considering making it a burst 2 or reducing the damage, so feel free to tell me what you think.

Furthermore, if you're interested in exploiting Elemential Mastery, Shadow Elf's 4e Charged Wands and Metamagic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101359) may be useful.

EDIT 2: I changed the daily power after all.

Izmir Stinger
2009-02-27, 12:48 AM
Gonna cook up a wolfoid for him to fight? :smallwink:

Alteran
2009-02-27, 12:57 AM
I just might do that!

Ascension
2009-02-27, 01:34 AM
I will say right here and now that despite all my edition inertia I would take up 4E immediately for the promise of a chance to play a Sorcelator. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2009-02-27, 11:06 AM
And then we need Witchaloks (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/1/16/).

...The real question is, would Jim Darkmagic become a Sorcelator if it were an allowed Paragon Path?

Alteran
2009-02-27, 10:15 PM
I changed the daily power after all, now it's less permanent. On the other hand, it doesn't need to hit for the effect to take place.

Mando Knight
2009-02-27, 10:34 PM
Definitely consider modifying this once you get your hands on the PHB II, so that Sorcerers can become Sorcelators.

Alteran
2009-02-27, 11:08 PM
It won't be a modification as much as an entirely separate paragon path, following the "triple wand-claws" line of continuity. I'm excited to see what the sorcerer brings, so I'm glad I'll have something to work on for it right away!