2006-08-11, 12:50 PM
Narco-Alchemic Ooze
Size/Type: Huge Ooze
Hit Dice: 15d10+105 (195 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 3 (-2 size, -5 Dex), touch 1, flatfooted 1
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+19
Attack: Slam +14 melee (1d8+5 plus narco-alchemy)
Full Attack: Slam +14 melee (1d8+5 plus narco-alchemy)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Narco-alchemy, engulf
Special Qualities: Ooze traits, blindsight 100 ft., alchemic healing
Saves: Fort +11, Ref -1, Will -1
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 1, Con 24, Int –, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Harvested Substances (See Below)
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 16-24 HD (Huge), 25-32 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: –

Narco-Alchemic Oozes were originally created due to an accident in the workshop of an alchemist and drugmaker. An explosion combined various alchemical ingredients with certain illicit drugs, created a living amalgam of the substances. Since then, various alchemists have learned how to reproduce the oozes. A Narco-Alchemic Ooze is a sloshy, formless thing, and can range in color from a pristine, snow white to a murky brown.

Narco-Alchemy (Ex)
A Narco-Alchemic Ooze’s body is made up of a melange of alchemic substances and drugs. Whenever a creature is hit by the ooze’s slam attack, various drugs leach into its body. A creature may attempt a DC 24 Fortitude save to resist the effects of the narco-alchemy. Roll 1d6 and consult the following table to determine the type of drug and its effects.
{table]
NumberDrug TypeEffect
1Stimulant+2 alchemical bonus to Dex and -4 penalty to Con for 1d10 rounds
2Depressant-4 penalty to Dex for 1d10 rounds
3HallucinogenConfused for 1d10 rounds
4DissociativeBlinded and deafened for 1d10 rounds
5AphrodisiacCharmed for 1d10 rounds
6Double DoseRoll twice, rerolling only once a roll of a 6
[/table]
Engulf (Ex)
A Narco-Alchemic Ooze can mow down Huge or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The ooze merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the ooze, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 22 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the ooze moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the ooze’s narco-alchemy each round, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body. The save DC is Strength-based.

Alchemic Healing (Ex)
Whenever a Narco-Alchemic Ooze would be damaged by an alchemic substance, it is instead healed 1 point of damage for every 3 damage the substance would have done. Alchemic substances that do not deal damage instead heal it 1 point of hp and have no effect on the ooze.

Harvest Substances
Various drug and alchemic components can be harvested from the remains of a slain Narco-Alchemic Ooze. By working for 8 hours and making a successful DC 20 Craft (Alchemy or Drugmaking) check, 50 gp worth of components can be harvested. These components have no active properties of their own, but can be used in crafting drugs or alchemic substances. A maximum of 1,000 gp worth of components can be harvested from a given ooze.

Creating Narco-Alchemic Oozes
Creating Narco-Alchemic Oozes is a simple, if dangerous, process. The creator must first gather 5,000 gp worth each of alchemic substances and drugs–the exact type does not matter. The substances must then be combined in a small space–a large vat, an alchemic worshop, or what not. The catalyst of the creation process is an explosion of any type, mundane or magical, that covers the whole area the substances are in and deals at least 30 points of fire damage. The explosion destroys all the components, and there is a 25% chance they combine to form a Narco-Alchemic Ooze. Oozes with more than 15 HD can be created, but each additional HD requires an additional 1,000 gp worth each of alchemic substances and drugs. The creator of the ooze has no special control over it.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 01:48 PM
You should add laxatives to that list.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 01:53 PM
I don't think he wants to have a messy end for anyone's PCs.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 06:19 PM
I don't think he wants to have a messy end for anyone's PCs.
Indeed. Also, what drug maker/alchemist has laxatives in his workshop? Unless this was made by some decades old, Farnsworthesque narco-alchemist, I'd say that would be very improbable.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 06:23 PM
A nitpick: The phrasing of option 6 means that (if for some ungodly reason) you first roll a six, and then roll two more sixes, nothing happens.

Perhaps replacing "ignore" with "rerolling" would fix the problem.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 06:36 PM
A nitpick: The phrasing of option 6 means that (if for some ungodly reason) you first roll a six, and then roll two more sixes, nothing happens.

Perhaps replacing "ignore" with "rerolling" would fix the problem.
Thanks, that works much better than what I had.

ilovefire
2006-08-11, 07:20 PM
two things: one, I love this creature and hope a certain DM of mine does not see it. Two: I'm getting an Unknown Armies flashback. That is all.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 07:45 PM
Two: I'm getting an Unknown Armies flashback. That is all.
You should be. You should be.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 12:08 AM
I was going to post a yes vote without actually really reading this. I mean, I know I'm going to anyway, why delay the inevitable? But the option 6 thing still hasn't been fixed.

The Demented One
2006-09-04, 12:10 AM
I was going to post a yes vote without actually really reading this. I mean, I know I'm going to anyway, why delay the inevitable? But the option 6 thing still hasn't been fixed.
But...yes it is. Originally, it just ignored a roll of 6. Now, it's just one reroll.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 12:19 AM
Hm? Oh... I think I see. "Roll twice, ignoring any further results of 6." Was that what it was before? What Fax objected to? I was under the impression that when something said that, you just rolled until you got a number that wasn't 6. There're items in the books like that.

Gralamin
2006-09-04, 12:19 AM
ohh nice... *hopes he isn't the dm ilovefire is talking about*

The Demented One
2006-09-04, 12:20 AM
Hm? Oh... I think I see. "Roll twice, ignoring any further results of 6." Was that what it was before? What Fax objected to? I was under the impression that when something said that, you just rolled until you got a number that wasn't 6. There're items in the books like that.
That isn't what it says. Look.

{table]
6Double DoseRoll twice, rerolling only once a roll of a 6[/table]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 12:23 AM
No, I know that isn't what it says now. Read my post again:

"Roll twice, ignoring any further results of 6." Was that what it was before? What Fax objected to? Emphasis added.

The Demented One
2006-09-04, 12:25 AM
No, I know that isn't what it says now. Read my post again:

Emphasis added.
Yeah, that was it.

ilovefire
2006-09-04, 12:39 AM
ohh nice... *hopes he isn't the dm ilovefire is talking about*
nah, you ain't it. It's another DM of mine that comes to these boards sometimes, goes by necomancer.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-04, 01:09 AM
Shouldn't his AC be 3? He should start with 10, -2 for size, -5 for Dex.

This is a cool creature. I like the concept. I do think that it should have more alchemical abilities, though. Something like acid damage or something related to alchemist fire.

fangthane
2006-09-08, 01:09 AM
Harvest Substances looks awfully limited in terms of real applicability; a DC 20 check and 8 hours to get a mere 50 golds' worth? What about making the amount gathered contingent on how much you beat the DC?

Another thing, given that I agree it should have an alchemist fire ability:
When it gets hit by fire of any kind let it light up, have its own ignition do no damage but act as a fire shield and grant flame damage to its slam.

Allowing it to heal from acid damage would be a nice way of integrating that side of things too.

knightsaline
2006-09-08, 06:20 AM
woking further on the flame idea shown above, how about if it catches on fire, its drug like substances are turned into steam , where the DM rolls the narco-alchemy roll and the players have to roll a fort check to stop breathing in the vapours. should this ever catch fire, it cannot be harvested

LordOfNarf
2006-09-08, 09:40 PM
Shouldn't the Stimulant give a bonus to strength? Thats just me, but I've heard stories of guys on speed taking 5-10 cops to hold down.

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 07:46 PM
Still need to fix the AC, at a minimum.

MitP Vote: Yes

-Lep