PDA

View Full Version : New Flaws! [PEACH]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-28, 12:47 AM
Dyslexia (General)
You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed.
Disadvantage: You must make a DC 15 Intelligence check to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you know.
Special: You fail to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you do not know normally. Barbarians with this flaw cannot become literate.

Fumble-Fingered (General)
Though you may be quite coordinated in other ways, you constantly have trouble with delicate manipulation.
Disadvantage: Treat your Dexterity as being 10 points lower for the purpose of the Open Lock and Sleight of Hand skills. Furthermore, you take a -4 penalty on Disable Device checks.
Special: A character may not have both this flaw and the Nimble Fingers or Deft Hands feats.

Illiteracy (General)
You do not and cannot understand the connection between writing and language, and thus are unable to read.
Disadvantage: You cannot read, and can never learn to read. This means, among other things, that you cannot use scrolls.
Special: Wizards cannot take this flaw. Barbarians who take this flaw lose 2 skill points in addition to the normal effects of this flaw.

Annalia
2006-07-28, 01:20 AM
They all have a nice flavor, that's sure, but I think Fumbled-Fingered is too focused. Sure, it waekens a rogue a lot but what kind of fighter/wizard/barbarian would use those skills. As long as you aren't a rogue, this flaw is nearly a free Bonus feat.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-28, 01:23 AM
THAT is a very good point.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-29, 12:37 PM
Is anyone else thinking that the Int Check DC for Dyslexia should be higher?

Skyserpent
2006-07-29, 01:26 PM
Lower. Dyslexia isn't all that bad. I'd say DC 10 and make Wizards take an hour longer to prepare spells to counterbalance their high intelligence.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-29, 02:15 PM
Lower. Dyslexia isn't all that bad. I'd say DC 10 and make Wizards take an hour longer to prepare spells to counterbalance their high intelligence.

The description specifically says, "You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed."

Brickwall
2006-07-29, 02:57 PM
A severe, debilitating dyslexia should probably require a DC 20 Int check, so that most people have to take 20 to understand what normal people can take 10 on (and thus, the roll is really only called into question with this guy).

I think it works out nicely. Forces them to slow down or get lucky.

Durin_Deathless
2006-07-30, 10:39 AM
If u have the dyslexia one u should have a certain chance on screwing up scrolls/spellbooks and the like because u might spell the words backwords.

Brickwall
2006-07-30, 11:36 AM
That's already covered by the Intelligence check.

Skyserpent
2006-07-30, 12:48 PM
I still don't see how Dyslexia can be all that FUN though. Flaws are to add flavor. Not Gimp people. I don't see why too many people would choose this flaw over, let's say, illiteracy. Because it seems illiteracy is FAR better than dyslexia. Or at least simpler, which would make it more commonly used.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-30, 01:06 PM
Because with Dyslexia, you at least have a chance of reading something right.

Skyserpent
2006-07-30, 02:34 PM
Hm... a slim chance not enough for a lot of people to warrant taking it. I admit it's availability would be appreciated though I can see that one as being less used than, say, Fumble Fingered and Illiteracy...

martyboy74
2006-07-30, 03:26 PM
Dyslexia would be a very interesting flaw for a truespeaker.

Vindemiatrix
2006-07-30, 03:37 PM
Illogical
You find it difficult to draw information to its logical conclusion. (i.e., "connect the dots")
Disadvantage: You take a -4 penalty on all Sense Motive and Intelligence checks.

4Dsheep
2006-07-30, 04:02 PM
I'm not really an expert on this kind of thing (never played really) but I think I can help. Maybe with the Fumble-Fingered flaw the character could be more easily disarmed (a negative effect to fighters) and have difficulty performing difficult hand gestures (resulting in a lower chance of success when casting a spell that requires gestures), and perhaps have illegible handwriting. Maybe this balances things out (except perhaps for a monk or something). As I said, I'm not an expert, so you'll still have to work out the technicalities.

Also, is there a Hayfever flaw?

Skyserpent
2006-07-30, 06:33 PM
Dragon Magazine had a dwarf flaw like that. Stubby Fingers, where you can't hold a weapon in one hand. and you get disarmed easily.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-30, 11:04 PM
Bumping post re-org.

Hario
2006-07-30, 11:40 PM
I don't think dislexia should be cured by the spell comprehend languages, and they should get a negative to desipher script checks ;P

Fax Celestis
2006-07-31, 12:29 AM
I don't think dislexia should be cured by the spell comprehend languages, and they should get a negative to desipher script checks ;P
Flaws shouldn't be "curable'.

Hario
2006-07-31, 01:06 AM
Flaws shouldn't be "curable'.
yes hence my point you should put that comprehend languages automatically fails. Otherwise its just cheese getting around a spell.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-31, 04:32 AM
Suggestion on the Fumble-Fingered flaw:

Open Lock or Sleight of Hand must be a class skill to take this flaw.

This prevents the world of fighters, wizards and such from taking it, while leaving it open to classes that would actually have to consider if the negatives are worth the gain.

Hario
2006-07-31, 11:14 AM
there already are flaws that people take for their builds like non-combatant goes on pretty much any ranged or spellcaster build... I would say no matter what ability score or skill points put into it, you must always have those at a negative. btw the spell 'knock' would still get you out of it in most cases which is :/.. it really shouldn't though...

Genome
2006-07-31, 10:59 PM
What kind of a bonuses do you think paraplegia or quadriplegia would give if taken as a flaw?

Fax Celestis
2006-07-31, 11:05 PM
What kind of a bonuses do you think paraplegia or quadriplegia would give if taken as a flaw?

"This character cannot move or fight."

Genome
2006-07-31, 11:11 PM
Magic items can overcome that, and you can take Still Spell. I'm tempted to see what my DM will give me for taking it.

NullAshton
2006-08-01, 09:40 AM
Alter self 3/day?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 01:40 PM
Revision Time!

Dyslexia (General)
You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed.
Disadvantage: You must make a DC 20 Intelligence check to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you know. You take -4 to all Decipher Script checks.
Special: You fail to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you do not know normally. Barbarians with this flaw cannot become literate. Acharacter under the effects of a comprehend languages spell must still attempt the Int check to decipher written messages.

Fumble-Fingered (General)
Though you may be quite coordinated in other ways, you constantly have trouble with delicate manipulation.
Disadvantage: Treat your Dexterity as being 10 points lower (minimum 1) for the purpose of the Open Lock and Sleight of Hand skills. Furthermore, you take a -4 penalty on Disable Device checks, and arcane spells with somatic components that you cast have a 10% chance of failure.
Special: A character may not have both this flaw and the Nimble Fingers or Deft Hands feats. No character may take this flaw unless Open Lock and/or Sleight of Hand are class skills.

Illiteracy (General)
You do not and cannot understand the connection between writing and language, and thus are unable to read.
Disadvantage: You cannot read, and can never learn to read. This means, among other things, that you cannot use scrolls.
Special: Wizards cannot take this flaw. Barbarians who take this flaw lose 2 skill points in addition to the normal effects of this flaw. This flaw is incompatible with Dyslexia.

Illogical
You find it difficult to draw information to its logical conclusion. (i.e., "connect the dots")
Disadvantage: You take a -4 penalty on all Sense Motive and Intelligence checks.

I like this. Thanks, VtNS. I hope you don't mind if I appropriate it.

4dsheep Also, is there a Hayfever flaw?

Hmmm...

Allergy (General)
You are allergic to something.
Disadvantage: Choose a common substance that you are allergic to. Whenever the DM determines that you come into contact with your allergen, you must make a Fort save against DC 15 or become sickened for as long as contact persists, plus 1d6 days.

How's that?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-01, 03:34 PM
Sweet. Now I can play a character with an allergy to starmetal. Or Waterford crystal.

You shoud probably specify that it be a common material.

Otherwise, I'll be wandering around with a free feat because I'm allergic to Illithid saliva. (and once the saliva gets on you, it's too late anyway.)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 03:42 PM
Fixed.

Cerberus
2006-08-01, 07:08 PM
I got a question: What would be the dc/changes and on what for a problem like an advanced case of near sidedness-I in reality cant read large letters past 4 feet but can allways see blured images and colours at a distance..maby higher search but lower spot?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-01, 11:52 PM
I got a question: What would be the dc/changes and on what for a problem like an advanced case of near sidedness-I in reality cant read large letters past 4 feet but can allways see blured images and colours at a distance..maby higher search but lower spot?

For near-sightedness, I would just give a penalty to Spot checks. The fact of nearsightedness doesn't mean you have better vision than normal close in, just that you have poorer vision far away.

knightsaline
2006-09-07, 12:30 AM
Heres a flaw I am familiar with;

Autism, Mild you are slightly out of touch with the rest of the world, however, you have things to make up for it.
Disadavantage you take a - 5 penalty on any charisma checks or charisma related skills
advantage you gain all knowledge skills, including knowledge (decorative cake decorating) and knowledge (magic steam caravans that are able to talk)

Autism, Severe you cannot make contact with reality, even with a pointy stick
Disadvantage you take a - 20 on any charisma or charisma related skill checks. you are non-vocal and are fixated on an item. Fixation requires the base creature to have the item with them at all times, or they are considered helpless

asbergers syndrome you are mildly autistic, yet show some hope for the future
Disadvantage you take a -5 penalty on charisma and charisma related checks. you also obsessivley talk about your "special subject". you must put at least one rank in knowledge (magic steam caravans that can talk) each level.
advantages you gain a + 10 on int and wis related skills and gain all knowledge skills, including knowledge (magic steam caravans that are able to talk). you also gain a + 5 to spellcraft checks, for the purpose of creating spells

anyone want to write up an altenate aspergers syndrome flaw?. it MUST have some reference to knowledge (magic steam caravans that can talk). why? ask the blue steam engine named "thomas" XD

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-07, 01:25 AM
Okay, I have been diagnosed with mild aspergers, and I can tell you, ditch the magic steam caravans thing.

And... nope, not threadomancy. Hasn't been a month and a half yet.

Shazzbaa
2006-09-07, 02:53 AM

There's actually a "trait" by that name, and it does exactly that. There's a far-sighted trait which does the opposite, too.

Actually, there's also an "illiterate" trait... one I've sworn to take if my barbarian ever gets levels in another class, just because my refusal to learn to read drives the other players crazy. ^^;
I guess the powers that be figured being illiterate is simply not severe enough to count as a flaw. I mean, it could be inconvenient, but that's why you have your party members read things to you. :3

I love the idea behind traits -- I just wish they were more impacting. As it is they only really mess with you at low, low levels.... but I would really like it if the effect grew with you, and continued to affect the character. :/

But that's a bit off-topic...

knightsaline
2006-09-07, 04:40 AM
Okay, I have been diagnosed with mild aspergers, and I can tell you, ditch the magic steam caravans thing.

I have been diagnosed with aspergers since I was 7. I have contact with other aspies and auties and some point in their lives, they have been facinated by the magic steam caravans that can talk (AKA, thomas the tank engine). don't tell me to ditch the steam caravans, I needed some sort of penalty to take this flaw, thus the "must take at least one rank in the knowledge (magic steam caravans that are able to talk) per level. I could make it Knowledge (Useless information), but it wouldn't be the same, flavorwise.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-09-07, 07:59 AM
I agree to ditch the magic caravans thing. Even though I haven't been diagnosed with Asperger's, it's pretty clear to see that that would be offensive to anyone who is. Besides, this is a medieval setting. Medieval. No magic talking trains (I'm pretty sure the lightning rail is incapable of speach).

I like the Knowledge (Useless Information) idea; what's wrong with that? Heck, I think that's brilliant!

Oh, just another nitpick; flaws, as a rule, shouldn't have advantages. Instead, you should make feats that have the flaw as a prerequisite; in this case, you could probably call such feats Autistic Savant and Savant, respectively.

On a totally different subject, someone earlier was asking about allergy flaws? I made a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11574770 29) about them earlier.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-07, 12:08 PM
Heres a flaw I am familiar with;

Autism, Mild you are slightly out of touch with the rest of the world, however, you have things to make up for it.
Disadavantage you take a - 5 penalty on any charisma checks or charisma related skills
advantage you gain all knowledge skills, including knowledge (decorative cake decorating) and knowledge (magic steam caravans that are able to talk)
Autism, Severe you cannot make contact with reality, even with a pointy stick
Disadvantage you take a - 20 on any charisma or charisma related skill checks. you are non-vocal and are fixated on an item. Fixation requires the base creature to have the item with them at all times, or they are considered helpless

asbergers syndrome you are mildly autistic, yet show some hope for the future
Disadvantage you take a -5 penalty on charisma and charisma related checks. you also obsessivley talk about your "special subject". you must put at least one rank in knowledge (magic steam caravans that can talk) each level.
advantages you gain a + 10 on int and wis related skills and gain all knowledge skills, including knowledge (magic steam caravans that are able to talk). you also gain a + 5 to spellcraft checks, for the purpose of creating spells

anyone want to write up an altenate aspergers syndrome flaw?. it MUST have some reference to knowledge (magic steam caravans that can talk). why? ask the blue steam engine named "thomas" XD

These are all traits. A problem with your Aspergers syndrome one is that it gives you a +10 bonus to sense motive, I would make it just intelligense based skills. Instead of making it a penalty to charisma based skills, I would pick a few choice skills (including sense motive) in. You can still be quite intimidating even if you don't understand what intimidates people.

knightsaline
2006-09-08, 06:13 AM
These are all traits. A problem with your Aspergers syndrome one is that it gives you a +10 bonus to sense motive, I would make it just intelligense based skills. Instead of making it a penalty to charisma based skills, I would pick a few choice skills (including sense motive) in. You can still be quite intimidating even if you don't understand what intimidates people.

sense motive bonus? BLASPHEMY!!!! if anything, it would be a penalty! aspies tend not to be able to "read" peoples emotions. the magic caravans thing is an in-joke to me and my aspie friends and my mother (who came up with the idea of all aspies and some auties being fixated on thomas at some point in their lives), the int and wis bonus is to show that, even though they may not be able to act or say appropriate things, they are nonetheless brilliant. the bonus to spellcraft for the purpose of creating spells is my own thing, I create spells all the time, its just that I can't stat them up well. then again, + 10 to two stats does seem a bit too powerful, making a wiazard or cleric really powerful, (using a human with 10 for all their stats).

Revision time!

Autism, mild. you do not know how to act arond others, yet know things others do not pick up
Prequisites: human
Effect: you take a - 5 on all CHA related checks. you gain the skill Knowledge (Useless Information)
Special. If applying to a female character, roll a d20 first. if you roll a number above 18, your character gains this flaw

Autism, severe .you cannot make contact with reality, even with a pointy stick
Prerequsite: human
Special. If applying to a female character, roll a d20 first. if you roll a number above 18, your character gains this flaw

Aspergers syndrome. you are mildly autistic, yet pick up on things others miss.
Prerequsites: human
Disadvantage: you take a - 5 penalty to Cha related checks, you gain the skill Knowledge (Useless Informaton) and the ability to make a Useless Information check once per day. Knowledge (Useless information) is always a class skill for you
Special: If applying this flaw to a female character, roll a D20 first. if you roll a 20, your character gains this flaw

Ability: Useless Information check. this ability works like a bardic knowledge check, yet never comes up with extremely obscure information (DC 30)

how is this! eliminated the thomas references and the overpowered bonuses for aspies.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-08, 10:41 AM
Okay, better. New questions:

Why human only?

What's the deal with the female thing? I know that Autism and related conditions affect males far more often than females, but that could be accomplished by "Special: Females can only take this flaw with the approval of the DM" or something similar.

Why can the Knowledge (useless info) never turn up extremey obscure info? That doesn't seem to fit the flavor.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-09-08, 11:00 AM
I also must ask why human only. I mean, what would be more fun than an autistic elf? :D

And if anything, Knowledge (Useless Information) shouldn't turn up anything but extremely obscure information. As someone with extremely focused interests myself, I know that there are plenty of obscure things I know about my chosen fields (geology and paleontology). I can tell you pretty much anything about rocks and dinosaurs that you could ever want to know (and then some).

And yeah, the female thing doesn't make sense when you consider that there's a low chance that anyone should have autism. Technically, you should roll a d% if you wanted to have a male with autism, too.

lsfreak
2006-09-09, 10:47 PM
Yay for Knowledge (Useless Information). I think I took Skill Focus in that over the years.

Now for my own thread hijacking! (and yes, I know this is probably a trait and not a flaw)

Some-Obscure-Kind-of-A.D.D.-that-I-Think-I-Once-Knew-the-Name-Of: You have problems focusing on tasks that bore you in the least. However, in a handful of tasks you find yourself highly focused, even to the point of losing touch with your surroundings.
Pick a single activity that often takes longer than 1 minute to complete and requires focus. This could be a certain skill, scribing spells, making lists, playing strategy games (think chess), or other activities (at your DM's discretion). While doing that activity, you are likely to be highly focused and accomplish tasks 25% faster than anyone else. However, while working, you are so focused you block out the surrounding botherances, such and the muttering mage, and tavern across the street, or the goblin ambush on your party. In order to stop prematurely at your task, you must succeed on a Will save (DC 15 + minutes at task, maximum 20) or continue working. Rough but non-threatening physical contact (such as the jostling of a friend) grants +10 circumstance bonus on the save. Being attacked grants automatic success.
On the alternative, other tasks bore you. Your mind wanders while on guard duty or while trying to sleep, you can't keep focused on the baron's speech, and your mind keep returning to the disturbing image of the gnome stripper while preparing spells. On any task other than your chosen focus, you must make a Concentration check every minute or hour (depending on the task, as the DM sees fit) (DC = 15 + number of hour/minutes at task). For every failed DC, the task either takes one minute or hour longer (if possible), or it becomes painfully clear that the task at hand doesn't interest you (-4 circumstance penalty to all charisma-based effects wiht effected parties).

Yea, I'm always that wordy -_- And I really need a better way to describe some of those...

Shazzbaa
2006-09-10, 11:01 AM
Now for my own thread hijacking! (and yes, I know this is probably a trait and not a flaw)

Some-Obscure-Kind-of-A.D.D.-that-I-Think-I-Once-Knew-the-Name-Of: You have problems focusing on tasks that bore you in the least. However, in a handful of tasks you find yourself highly focused, even to the point of losing touch with your surroundings.
Pick a single activity that often takes longer than 1 minute to complete and requires focus. This could be a certain skill, scribing spells, making lists, playing strategy games (think chess), or other activities (at your DM's discretion). While doing that activity, you are likely to be highly focused and accomplish tasks 25% faster than anyone else. However, while working, you are so focused you block out the surrounding botherances, such and the muttering mage, and tavern across the street, or the goblin ambush on your party. In order to stop prematurely at your task, you must succeed on a Will save (DC 15 + minutes at task, maximum 20) or continue working. Rough but non-threatening physical contact (such as the jostling of a friend) grants +10 circumstance bonus on the save. Being attacked grants automatic success.
On the alternative, other tasks bore you. Your mind wanders while on guard duty or while trying to sleep, you can't keep focused on the baron's speech, and your mind keep returning to the disturbing image of the gnome stripper while preparing spells. On any task other than your chosen focus, you must make a Concentration check every minute or hour (depending on the task, as the DM sees fit) (DC = 15 + number of hour/minutes at task). For every failed DC, the task either takes one minute or hour longer (if possible), or it becomes painfully clear that the task at hand doesn't interest you (-4 circumstance penalty to all charisma-based effects wiht effected parties).

Yea, I'm always that wordy -_- And I really need a better way to describe some of those...Reworded!

Your mind wanders and you have trouble concentrating on tasks that bore you, but in certain areas you are extremely focused.
Benefit
When taking this trait, pick one task that ordinarily takes longer than a minute (a certain skill, scribing a scroll, etc., at DM's discretion). You are particularly focused on this activity and work 25% faster than others would.
Drawback
While engaged in your chosen task, you must make a Will Save (DC 15 + minutes at task, maximum 20) in order to stop working before the task is finished. Rough but non-threatening physical contact (such as the jostling of a friend) grants +10 circumstance bonus on the save. Being attacked grants automatic success.
Additionally, other tasks bore you. On any task other than your chosen focus, you must make a concentration check every minute (for short or boring tasks, as DM sees fit) or hour (for longer or interesting tasks, as DM sees fit) at a DC 15 + number of minutes/hours engaged in the task. On a failed check, a task that may take longer takes one minute/one hour longer to complete, and it becomes obvious that you are bored, imposing a -4 circumstance penalty to all charisma-based effects with effected parties.

Yeah... problem is you get a benefit with a much larger drawback, so it's a little rough as a trait (unless you like playing characters who have problems), but since you *do* get a benefit it's not quite a flaw. In fact, even the latter part of the drawback is huge -- out of every conceivable task in the world, you only get ONE that you don't have to make concentration checks on. Maybe it should be a small number (3 or something) of related tasks?

knightsaline
2006-09-10, 09:11 PM
Okay, better. New questions:

Why human only?

What's the deal with the female thing? I know that Autism and related conditions affect males far more often than females, but that could be accomplished by "Special: Females can only take this flaw with the approval of the DM" or something similar.

Why can the Knowledge (useless info) never turn up extremey obscure info? That doesn't seem to fit the flavor.

the human only thing was kind of because I can't envision an aspie dwarf, elves are all aspies anyway and the orcs kind of have this thing about weakness and destroying it when it happens. Maybe I will expand it to "Races: must have human blood in them."

the female thing is because I have never, ever met a female aspie. in comparison, try and find a dwarf monk or a half orc pally. thats how rare they are. (before you say that you can get racial adjustment levels for the half orc pally, Remember that I only have access to the SRD and the spell compendium)

making it so that the useless info check never comes up with obscure info: about that. I have NEVER come up with obscure info that actually helps at the time. its also a balance thing. this flaw gives non bards the chance to do a bardic knowledge check once a day. if the check always came up with obscure info, like loren said would make it too easy to find out the powers of an obscure artifact or that powerful archmages childhood nickname.

remember that this is just a base for your own ideas, modify them as you will, just donate 5000 XP to The Unnamed One to help me work

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-09-11, 04:45 PM
If the check always came up with obscure info, like loren said would make it too easy to find out the powers of an obscure artifact or that powerful archmages childhood nicknameIf the information was obscure that would make it harder to find out the powers.

knightsaline
2006-09-12, 01:49 AM
Ok, how about this for the useless info check.

Useless Knowledge. you seem to be able to pull the most obsure and useless information from the depths of your headmeat. this works like a bardic knowledge check, but with a few differences. the DC of the check goes up by +10, and you use your ranks in knowledge (useless information) instead of knowledge (history). you may not take 10 or 20 on this check, it is essentially random.

you know what, these flaws are going to become a new thread.

Caelestion
2006-09-12, 05:06 PM
You could always make it a simple bardic knowledge check, with a +10 to the check, but you can only recall obscure or contextually useless information.