PDA

View Full Version : Home-made rules system;critique appreciated

OmegaTheUnknown
2009-02-28, 01:14 PM
Ok, I recently became fed up with rules-heavy game systems and took it upon myself to create a fast-playing, fluid set of rules which could be adapted to almost any style of play. I decided, rather get bogged down creating a system from scratch, I should blend the best aspects of my favourite game systems.

So, I've ended up with a mix of Weapons of the Gods and PDQ;

Characters are defined by skills, which can be anything that reflects their abilities or personality e.g. Gunslinger, Flautist, Gentle giant etc. These are rated from one to ten and govern the amount of d10 you roll when making a skill check.

When making a skill check, you look for sets like in WotG- the number of dice in the set is the tens value and the number on the dice in the set is the units (5,5 would be a result of 25) you can choose sets of one (a 6 would be a result of 16) To succeed, your result must be higher than the difficulty chosen by the GM.

All Player characters and major Villains/Npc's have wuxia dice, which is a pool of reserve dice you can add to any of your rolls when you choose. Characters earn them back whenever they do something cool enough for one of the other players or the GM to think they deserve one.

For Combat, the opposing parties roll their respective combat skills against each other and the difference is taken from the losers skills (the attacker wins by a margin of 3-the defender loses 3 dice from skills of the defenders choice) lethal, I know, but I want combat to be quick and brutal. Each attack represents not a single attack but an exchange of blows across a couple of seconds, and the winner gains narrative control, encouraging players to describe cool fighting moves/stunts.

I have yet to work out a full character creation system but i tried the system out with a martial arts type game and it seemed to run pretty well.
I would appreciate any and all criticism as I am well aware that it is nowhere near polished yet.

Thanks