PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe it

TheGrimace
2009-02-28, 06:01 PM
These comics have been all about the bait and switch.

So, we all feel clever by knowing that bogroll will arise from the parapet, whilst Parson runs to some other location, despite the fact that the comic makes you believe otherwise.

That's exactly why it wont happen.

Parson will walk out of the parapet, Ansom and the archons will approach. Then, the archons will see some other parson looking figure walking through an unprotected region trying to get to a safer place. The archons, running off of Charlie's "improved" intelligence, will quickly fly to apprehend the "real Parson" before he reaches safety.

This leaves Parson in a 1v1 with Ansom.

What happens after that... I don't know.

Occasional Sage
2009-03-01, 12:02 AM
Maybe, though, you're EXPECTED to see that possibility, and it's really Rob's head-fake to make you not look too closely at the figure on the parapet, and...

... and ad infinitum.

Kreistor
2009-03-01, 03:24 AM
This leaves Parson in a 1v1 with Ansom.

There is no way Parson would risk fighting Ansom with the Arkenpliers. Parson's capacity with the sword is an unknown, and good Generals "know themselves" before committing.

DigoDragon
2009-03-01, 04:37 PM
Maybe it'll be one of those "I'm Sparticus" moments to confuse everyone for that half a second before they lauch a final attack?

paddyfool
2009-03-01, 05:38 PM
Maybe, though, you're EXPECTED to see that possibility, and it's really Rob's head-fake to make you not look too closely at the figure on the parapet, and...

... and ad infinitum.

I'd like to think that in that case, Parson would be smart & genre-savvy enough to poison both cups.

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!
Man in Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Vizzini: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]
Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter.First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.
Man in Black, Vizzini: [they drink ]
Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.
The Princess Bride, 1987

Lamech
2009-03-01, 05:57 PM
There is no way Parson would risk fighting Ansom with the Arkenpliers. Parson's capacity with the sword is an unknown, and good Generals "know themselves" before committing.
Parson could see the swords affect on stats. Then he just has to ask the minimum level two warlords stats, and his are min+sword+?. Then he punches that into the watch and his chance of killing greater than whatever comes up.

Kreistor
2009-03-02, 12:11 AM
Parson could see the swords affect on stats. Then he just has to ask the minimum level two warlords stats, and his are min+sword+?. Then he punches that into the watch and his chance of killing greater than whatever comes up.

Even if that worked, Parson's own Attack stat is unknown, since no one can see Parson's stats. One would not be out of order to presume his melee is pretty dismal, given his nerd-like nature and portly disposition, but stranger things have happened in fantasy than discovering a planar traveller suddenly has great combat skills with no explanation. Further, even if Parson learns that the sword has an effect on another warlord (undemonstrated so far), it might not work the same way on himself.

Besides that, Parson has no appearance of being suicidal. Melee combat risks his own death -- accidental or intentional. He knows he has another safe place in Charlescomm should he fail in GK. That means he can go on to the very last second fighting to win. Risking everything on a throw of the dice in an unknown fight that risks his own life is just not the plan of someone with nothing to lose but his pride.

charles
2009-03-02, 08:55 PM
After reading Klog 13 again, I note that he mentioned the possibility of having to sacrifice some to save many... I think he's sent Bogroll up there for sure.

The Question is why. The Garrison is made up of the Tower, Courtyard and Dungeon. Once you've taken one area you can attack any other. They have the Courtyard so they can take their choice of either. Parson's sent the troops to the dungeon, told Maggie to save her own juice and he's apparently kept Sizemore up his sleave... Casters to the portal room, but there's only 3 of them

...Could Sizemore blow up the tower but leave the Dungeon unscathed? Magic users escape through the portals? Maggie pulls some wicked magick on Ansome? Actually, Charlie's Archeons can't attack the tower since they're stuck 'till next turn, so Ansome's on his own up there against whatever Parson has in store for him... And he's injured.

Wizzardman
2009-03-03, 12:36 AM
Or he's just using his last chance to take out the enemy leader before fighting him in the dungeons.

Kreistor
2009-03-03, 03:12 PM
It's a long way down. With a twoll on top of him. A twoll that regenerates, and may survive himself. Question is: are they in Airspace having gone over the side? If so, Charlescomm can intervene.They're really close to Tower, and Airspace borders on Tower, so I'm guessing this one won't work out for Parson in the end. And where do they land if Charlescomm does not intervene? If Courtyard, Bogroll is finished, since RCC occupies that. If Tower, even if Ansom survives, he's in enemy hands.

Lots of possible outcomes here.