PDA

View Full Version : The Origins of Charlie

Zedd
2009-03-03, 03:36 AM
Hello there, I'm not the most frequent poster, but visit the forums a lot. This is my first topic, and I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

Where does Charlie come from?

I remember someone posting that Charlie resembles Parson in every way. And it does make sense. Charlie seems to be really into the strategy stuff, knowing a lot more about the setting then Parson - exactly as much as Parson will get to know, in time.

Perhaps Charlie is another otherworldly player trapped in Erfworld? Someone who crafted a scenario just like Erfworld in Parson's past (and Parson made the same mistake)? Charlie seems too offkey when compared to other Erfworld residents: he never shows up, he is really clever in a pratical manner, he doesn't seem to care for his troops - like as if they were his pawns in a chessboard, much like a player feels about his creatures. He also seems thrilled with the strategy per se, much like Parson "I think I just want to play this out".

My guess? Charlie's never gonna show up (much like the Charlie from where the name was taken), but somehow his background is gonna come up when he croaks/returns home/passes the 'throne' to Parson.

Am I missing something? Is it a stupid idea?

HandofShadows
2009-03-03, 04:51 AM
We know very very little about Charlie but he does seem to work a lot differently then native Erfworlders. I think there is a fair to good chance that he might have been transported to Erfworld in some fashion from someplace else. Or maybe the Arkendish can pick up TV signals and Charlie spends a LOT of time watching the Military Chanell. :smallbiggrin:

DevilDan
2009-03-04, 02:03 AM
All we know, really, is that he's not a "royal"--or at least makes no claim to royalty or even nobility--though that could simply be based on the fact that he might have seemed to appear out of nowhere...

Surprise!
2009-03-04, 05:17 AM
Another theory could be that Charlie is a member of a Erf race we have yet seen, perhaps one that is generally unknown or near extinct. And such mannerism are commonplace amongst his people.

PhantomFox
2009-03-04, 02:53 PM
My bets is that Charlie's origins will be done in the next 'book'.

Fjolnir
2009-03-04, 09:19 PM
we had a similar thread, that I cannot find that was based off of a comment I had that Charlie is the RCC's Parson analog, that theorized he's also parson but it devolved into a debate about time travel and paradox.

btw, I still think John Connor should have poofed into nonexistence at the end of terminator 2, due to the fact that the actions of the movie delayed judgment day by at least a decade....

Tensu
2009-03-04, 09:30 PM
I think Charlie does care about his troops to some extent, enough to voce genuine disappointment when one dies, at the very least. one could say it's "losing your favorite tool" disappointment, but I'd like to think Charlie just sees little need to scream at Parson like a psychopath for doing what he thought he had to. Charlie hasn't done anything bad or amoral, just smart.

Him being another human or other offworlder is a possibility. Or maybe he was born when the brain of a fallen genius fell into a pool of residual awesome. who can say.