2006-08-13, 03:00 AM
Eldenwhorl Tree
Size/Type: Huge Plant (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 13d8+91 (147 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +16 natural), touch 7, flatfooted 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+17
Attack: Slam +19 melee (2d6+12 plus passing of years)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +19 melee (2d6+12 plus passing of years)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of seasons, passing of years
Special Qualities: Plant traits, low-light vision, telepathy 100 ft., DR 10/deep crystal, PR 21, root
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 8, Con 24, Int 3, Wis 16, Cha 20
Skills: Concentration +9, Listen +10, Spot +10
Feats: Ability Focus (Passing of Years), Power Attack, Psionic Fist, Greater Psionic Fist, Psionic Meditation
Environment: Any Forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually True Neutral
Advancement: 14-25 HD (Huge), 26-32 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: +5

Eldenwhorl Trees are created when a plant somehow siphons large amounts of temporal energy, whether from the Plane of Time itself, a damaged item with temporal properties, or excess temporal power discharged by a nomad. The Eldenwhorls are a slow-moving, but quick-thinking race, caring for little other than the small grove they might live in. Eldenwhorls are generally amiable, but can be vicious if attacked or annoyed. Eldenwhorls are slender trees with curling, intertwining branches, and spiraling patterns of bark. A small knot acts as both eye and ear, but they are without hand or mouth analogs, relying on telepathy to communicate.

Aura of Seasons (Su)
As a standard action, an Eldenwhorl Tree may create a 30 ft. aura of temporal energy which channels the effects of a season. It may change between types of auras or dismiss the aura of seasons as a swift action.
Aura of Spring: All plant creatures within an aura of spring gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution and gain fast healing 3.
Aura of Summer: All creatures other than the Eldenwhorl Tree within an aura of summer take 5d6 points of heat damage each round. A creature dealt more than 20 damage in a single round must make a DC 21 Fortitude save or become fatigued. The save is Charisma based.
Aura of Autumn: All creatures other than the Eldenwhorl Tree within an aura of autumn take a -2 penalty to Constitution.
Aura of Winter: All creatures other than the Eldenwhorl Tree within an aura of winter take 5d6 points of cold damage each round.

Passing of Years (Su)
Any creature hit by an Eldenwhorl Tree’s slam attack, or that hits an Eldenwhorl Tree with natural weapon, touch attack, or unamed strike must make a DC 23 Fortitude save or be aged 1d10 years. In addition, the aging is more deteriorating than normal, causing the creature to take 1d2 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage.

Root (Ex)
As an immediate action, a Eldenwhorl Tree may extend its roots into the ground, firmly rooting it. Its speed drops to 5 ft., and it may not make a 5 ft. step. However, it gains a +8 bonus on checks to avoid being moved in any way, such as bull rush or trip checks. The tree must be on a solid surface to use this ability. A rooted Eldenwhorl Tree may draw temporal energy from the ground, allowing it to make an additional standard or move action each round. However, channeling the temporal energy is harmful, and the tree must make a DC 20 Will save each time it takes an extra action or take 2d10 points of damage. Retracting the roots is a swift action.

Eldenwhorl Tea
A creature may, by making both a DC 20 Profession (Herbalist) and a DC 20 Knowledge (Psionics) check, brew a single cup of tea from leaves gathered from an Eldenwhorl Tree. Doing so takes 10 minutes. A creature that drinks a cup of Eldenwhorl Tea while it is still hot may use hustle as a psi-like ability, with manifester level equal to its HD, once within 24 hours of drinking the tea. A Eldenwhorl Tree has enough leaves to brew 1d4+1 cups of tea.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-13, 01:36 PM
Another time monster. Nice.

I'd probably add a way to reverse Passing of Years; the one I used for my Xig-Yu was that a Limited Wish reversed one year's aging, and a Wish all of it.

As another thing, I'd make the Auras of Summer and Winter do nonlethal damage; 5d6/round is more than being set on fire does. Also, after taking a standard action to activate their Aura, how long does it last (as currently written, it looks like they only need to do that once). I might also make them not affect other plants; even though you said it was Solitary, I can see this in a grove with other plant creatures that it cooperates with for mutual defense.

Also, you can slow them down even further than a speed of 5'; a creature whose speed is reduced below 5' by movement impediments cannot take a 5' step and must take a full-round action to move 5' (this provokes an AoO). I think this is what you want, rather than it being able to "run" 20' in a round, while rooted.

Additionally, to make Aura of Winter on par with Aura of Summer, perhaps every creature damaged by it is slowed for one round (each time they take damage)?

Finally, what kind of tactics do they use? Even the obvious stuff, like using their Auras to force enemies to fight at a distance; do they prefer melee combat? Do they usually fight while rooted or uprooted?

ghost_warlock
2006-08-13, 02:16 PM
Another time monster. Nice.
Not just that, another psionic plant! Yippie! ;D

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 12:11 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-09, 11:07 AM
Hey, this thing has an LA... :o

Can I play as one?

MitP vote: Yes.

firepup
2006-09-10, 01:03 AM
-snipity-

Passing of Years (Su)
Any creature hit by an Eldenwhorl Tree’s slam attack, or that hits an Eldenwhorl Tree with natural weapon, touch attack, or unamed strike must make a DC 23 Fortitude save or be aged 1d10 years. In addition, the aging is more deteriorating than normal, causing the creature to take 1d2 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage.

-snipity-

You misspelled unarmed. just to point out.