PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy: Snap out of it!

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-05, 12:54 AM
Ok, so there is a skill trick or something that is similar, but I had a thought for an alternate use of diplomacy, that would neither be arbitrary nor broken.

You can make a diplomacy check to try to get an ally to come to his senses when effected my a mind-affecting compulsion. Your ally must be able to see and hear you for this to work.

Note, the -10 penalty for a rushed diplomacy check does apply if you are not able to spend a minute or two on the check. Such as if the effect in question is 'dominated and compelled to attack you'.

Mechanic:
Make a diplomacy check against the save DC of the effect you are trying to remove. If you succeed, your ally is allowed an additional saving throw at a -5 penalty. This penalty is reduced by 1 for every 5 pts you exceed the save DC with your skill check. It is possible to grant a bonus to the check if your skill check is sufficiently high. You can aid another on this roll. Only one attempt is allowed per effect per day.

Some numbers:
Level 5: Avg save DC for a mind effect is 17

Untrained PC, 10 charisma: In combat, cannot succeed, out of combat, needs a 17 or higher.

Trained PC, 10 charisma: In combat, unlikely to succeed, probably not worth trying. Out of combat, likely to succeed, but not to reduce the penalty.

Trained PC, 18 CHA: In combat, unlikely to succeed, needing 15 or better, but at those odds, might be worth trying every once and awhile.
Out of combat, the penalty is reduced to -4, on average.

Twinked for Diplomacy: 20 cha, circlet of persusaion, all 3 synergys, for a total of (8r+5cha+3circlet+6syn) +22 diplomacy, in combat, is likely to succeed with only a -4 penalty to the save, and out of combat, is likely to bring that save to a -2 penalty.

Level 10:

avg DC: 21

Trained, good CHA: needs a 13 in combat, 3 out of combat for save at -5.
Twinked:max ranks and syn. as before, CHA is 24, and also has a +5 skill item:
+34 mod. On average grants a -2 penalty on the additional save.

Still does not seem ridiculous.

Fixer
2009-03-05, 08:08 AM
As a GM I would only allow this if the circumstances allowed it, not as a general house rule. This is one of those ideas that is best used infrequently.

Paramour Pink
2009-03-05, 08:19 AM
You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide 2, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.

Dixieboy
2009-03-05, 09:02 AM
You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.
Great so my bard has been killed by the barbarian 4 times when i could've survived

thanks for the info, that should stop my Sadistic DM :smallredface:

TheCountAlucard
2009-03-05, 10:49 AM
You wouldn't need to homebrew something like this; it's already in place, kinda. Look under Team Benefits of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 193. It's a benefit caled Snap Out of It.

Err, I just checked the DMG; you sure you don't mean DMG II?

Paramour Pink
2009-03-05, 10:57 AM
Err, I just checked the DMG; you sure you don't mean DMG II?

:smallredface:

Yes, I do mean the second one. My mistake; editting in the 2 now.