PDA

View Full Version : New Krypton Story Arc

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 07:32 AM
Anyone reading this?

100,000 Kryptonians have been restored to Earth and humanity is acting like, well, a hyper-advanced technologically proficient civilization with the power of gods has set up shop next store.

In other words, not very well.

As for the Kryptonians, they're reacting like they're trapped on a planet of violent psychotic primitives that all want to kill them simply for existing. Like, well, they have.

I find it the best Superman arc in years.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-05, 08:22 AM
Sounds interesting. Problem is I can't look at anything Superman without thinking "Superdickery! (http://www.superdickery.com)" (I stopped reading superman aboout 5 years before he got killed by Doomsday).

On the other hand it does sound like a pretty good story arch, although I have never understood the need (by any company or writer) to always mess up the origins.
("Superman is the only Kryptonian left in the universe! ...Except for his cousin, and the monkey, and the horse, and these guys trapped in the one-dimensional prison, the giant King Kong knockoff that conveniently shoots beams of green kryptonite from it's eyes and the surviving colony around a red sun attacked by acid-blooded aliens, and the 10000 ones living in this town over here, on earth.")

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 08:57 AM
On the other hand it does sound like a pretty good story arch, although I have never understood the need (by any company or writer) to always mess up the origins.

Short version:

Because Superman as the last survivor of Krypton is indistinguishable from a Mutant with the power of flight, invulnerability, and so on. While more Kryptonians means people Superman can beat up.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-05, 09:06 AM
Short version:

Because Superman as the last survivor of Krypton is indistinguishable from a Mutant with the power of flight, invulnerability, and so on. While more Kryptonians means people Superman can beat up.

Shouldn't that be
"While more Kryptonians means people Superman can't beat up?

kamikasei
2009-03-05, 09:12 AM
Surely 100,000 Kryptonians should be able to pick up and go wherever they damn well please? I'm sure plenty of places in the DC universe would be happy to have superpowered, hyper-advanced neighbours grateful for the gift of a world.

Krrth
2009-03-05, 09:15 AM
While I haven't followed comics in years, what I'm hearing here makes me think of an old "What If", or Elseworlds, or whatever the DC version was. The Kryptonians moved to Earth and simply took over, but Superman was the only one to have grown up on Earth and as such could breath the air without using a mask.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-05, 09:21 AM
Surely 100,000 Kryptonians should be able to pick up and go wherever they damn well please? I'm sure plenty of places in the DC universe would be happy to have superpowered, hyper-advanced neighbours grateful for the gift of a world.

Of course. Which is the thing that makes this scenario smell. Unless they are being radiated with green cryptonite or something to stay weak... Which would be "business as usual" for a Superman comic.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 09:21 AM

Lois Lane's father, General Sam Lane, subscribes to the General Thunderbolt Ross school of military tactics.

I.e. "When you have a bunch of incredibly powerful, invulnerable, radiation powered super beings who just want to be left alone. The thing you've got to do is continually attack them until they get REALLY REALLY MAD."

The Kryptonians aren't there for a week without the Justice League ready to batter down their doors right after the US launches a covert terrorist attack against them and they're understandably not in the mood to discuss the crimes committed by some of their their members.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-05, 09:22 AM
While I haven't followed comics in years, what I'm hearing here makes me think of an old "What If", or Elseworlds, or whatever the DC version was. The Kryptonians moved to Earth and simply took over, but Superman was the only one to have grown up on Earth and as such could breath the air without using a mask.

...Because that week Krypton was not like earth? :smallwink:

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 09:28 AM
...Because that week Krypton was not like earth? :smallwink:

No, I remember the Elseworlds he's talking about. It was during the whole "The Eradicator has made it impossible for Kryptonians to live off Krypton" period, which lasted for like fifteen years. It was one of John Byrne's original ideas I think.

In this Elseworlds, Jor-El came up with a solution that a manufacturing plant would continually fill the air with stuff to keep the planet free from whatever it was that killed Kryptonians.

Batman would attempt to blow up the place every other week. Because the Batman of this world had a big thing for genocide.

kamikasei
2009-03-05, 09:33 AM
The Kryptonians aren't there for a week without the Justice League ready to batter down their doors right after the US launches a covert terrorist attack against them and they're understandably not in the mood to discuss the crimes committed by some of their their members.

Seems like a good point to find a New Krypton and leave Earth to the crazies, is my point.

How is the arc explaining why the Kryptonians are bothering to stay within reach of Earth's military?

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-05, 09:34 AM
No, I remember the Elseworlds he's talking about. It was during the whole "The Eradicator has made it impossible for Kryptonians to live off Krypton" period, which lasted for like fifteen years. It was one of John Byrne's original ideas I think.

Okay. Point taken. Elseworld stories (Or any "what if" stories) are special anyway.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 10:07 AM
Seems like a good point to find a New Krypton and leave Earth to the crazies, is my point.

How is the arc explaining why the Kryptonians are bothering to stay within reach of Earth's military?

The answer is a bit off-kilter but this IS comics.

In fact, the Kryptonians DO leave the planet Earth about that time. However, their solution doesn't please anyone on planet Earth because their solution is to use Brainiac's technology to construct a NEW Krypton on the other side of the Sun from the planet Earth.

The ENTIRE WORLD then bans ALL Kryptonians from the planet except Superman. That includes Supergirl, Conner Kent (should he ever be revealed to be alive) and presumably Powergirl. Unfortunately, this doesn't do much because General Zod (now free because all the Kryptonians are scared the Earthlings are going to murder them) obviously intends to conquer Earth. Meanwhile, Sam Lane has allied with Lex Luthor. The two of them are plotting against the Kryptonians who are STILL too close for comfort.

As for how the US military got so close, they used guys in Metallo-based suits of armor equipped with Gold Kryptonite to remove the super powers of every Kryptonian they met for 15 seconds. Which is long enough to murder not only a bunch of Kryptonian guards but also Zor-El. I.e. the Kandorian President.

It should be noted, the Kryptonians can't just go to another galaxy either. They don't have any starships and while they could probably construct some given sufficient time, no one has been given much of a chance to think clearly.

kamikasei
2009-03-05, 10:22 AM
Yeah... that sounds moronic all right, on several fronts. Oh, and why would they need to move to a new galaxy?

I mean, they can make a planet from scratch on what I can only assume is a pretty modest timescale, but they can't make something they can use to leave the system with that same tech? Worst-case scenario, they should just be able to launch their new planet out of solar orbit and chill out in interstellar space while they build their starships.

Not to mention that it is genuine and simple idiocy to take a group with a huge power advantage over you, but no reason why they should want to conquer you, and antagonize them instead of helping them get out of your hair with minimum cost to you (and maybe some nice rewards in to the bargain). Nor is there any reason to expel already-resident Kryptonians. The whole thing is contrived beyond reason.

Krrth
2009-03-05, 10:22 AM
Okay. Point taken. Elseworld stories (Or any "what if" stories) are special anyway.

Actually, I vaguely remember Superman have trouble breathing in our atmosphere when he first arrived, but that was a long time ago. As I recall, that was one of the hints that the kid from the last movie was really his son: the asthma.

Oslecamo
2009-03-05, 10:58 AM
Yeah... that sounds moronic all right, on several fronts. Oh, and why would they need to move to a new galaxy?

I mean, they can make a planet from scratch on what I can only assume is a pretty modest timescale, but they can't make something they can use to leave the system with that same tech? Worst-case scenario, they should just be able to launch their new planet out of solar orbit and chill out in interstellar space while they build their starships.

They need yellow light to get their super powers. And yellow stars aren't that common, or that nearby each other. Super man can only travel deep in space because he spent decades acumulating yellow light while he lived on Earth, and he expends those energies in his long distance travels to other systems. And then, in comics, EVERYBODY wants to live in or near Earth. Guess the rest of the universe just plain sucks compared to our system.

Not to mention that it is genuine and simple idiocy to take a group with a huge power advantage over you, but no reason why they should want to conquer you, and antagonize them instead of helping them get out of your hair with minimum cost to you (and maybe some nice rewards in to the bargain). Nor is there any reason to expel already-resident Kryptonians. The whole thing is contrived beyond reason.

Eeerr, don't you read the newspapers? Or history books? There's plenty of people who are more than willing to attack whitout provocation oponents who're clearly stroger and more advanced than them whitout clear reason. It's usually called terrorrism. Or rebellion, depending on who's writing the story.

Humans don't really need a reason to be violent to other beings. Envy, greed, fear, you name it, people kill other people for those reasons all the time whitout any real benefit from it.

There's my opinions on those matters.

kamikasei
2009-03-05, 11:14 AM
There's my opinions on those matters.

FYI, editing your responses into a quote within your post makes replying a pain.

They need yellow light to get their super powers. And yellow stars aren't that common, or that nearby each other. Super man can only travel deep in space because he spent decades acumulating yellow light while he lived on Earth, and he expends those energies in his long distance travels to other systems. And then, in comics, EVERYBODY wants to live in or near Earth. Guess the rest of the universe just plain sucks compared to our system.

Well, that's a reason why they would prefer to stay on Earth, not why they couldn't leave. Given that they were apparently a force to be reckoned with on the interstellar stage back when they were stuck on their own crappy un-powering planet with just their terrifyingly advanced tech, it's also kind of greedy to insist on living where they get this new boon of superpowers, but it's pretty understandable. However, if the explanation in the comic is that they can't leave, it's no defense of that explanation to argue that they shouldn't want to.

Incidentally, if Superman stores up solar energy and can sustain his powers when not under a yellow sun, why does red light depower him (if it still does this week)? Rhetorical question, just pointing out the inconsistency.

Eeerr, don't you read the newspapers? Or history books? There's plenty of people who are more than willing to attack whitout provocation oponents who're clearly stroger and more advanced than them whitout clear reason. It's usually called terrorrism. Or rebellion, depending on who's writing the story.

Humans don't really need a reason to be violent to other beings. Envy, greed, fear, you name it, people kill other people for those reasons all the time whitout any real benefit from it.

I didn't say it's not possible for humans to behave that stupidly, I just said it was stupid. What is implausible is that the people behaving this stupidly are the ones in charge globally and no one in a position of leadership on earth is offering to deal with them for the sake of goodwill with the Kryptonians. Why is a general teaming up with supervillains and leading high-tech strikes against aliens without anyone in government saying "stop that, you idiot, have you any idea how much awesome stuff they could give us"? And why aren't there any diplomats on either side doing what they do - getting together and working out advantageous compromises?

Humans are perfectly capable of being stupid, but humanity as a whole (as if that had one voice or mind!) and national governments / power structures of all kinds will act, at least some of the time, in their rational self-interest.

edit: Oh, and since when are terrorism and/or rebellion "without provocation" or "without clear reason"? The reasons may be motivated by unreasonable or odious ideologies and the targeting may be unjust and indiscriminate, but we don't generally call people who literally kill without provocation or clear reason either terrorists or rebels, we call them insane.

WitchSlayer
2009-03-05, 05:57 PM
A great story arc, I love Geoff Johns' writing.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 06:20 PM
The Earth governments do have some motivations here. Zodd already escaped the Phantom Zone a couple of times and tried to take the planet over.

Let's also remember that Earth isn't the Richard Donner films or directly equivalent. The DCU is filled with a society that has already had some extensive contact with aliens. It's not quite as primitive as our world since it's got weapons and tech from Thanagar, mad science from people like Lex Luthor, and the occasional bit of galaxy tech from New Genesis.

For me, I'm confused whether General Sam Lane is operating with United States approval or whether he's doing this all because he's a gigantic bigot against Kryptonians.

lisiecki
2009-03-05, 08:32 PM
Shouldn't that be
"While more Kryptonians means people Superman can't beat up?

Not really.

Superman has spent 35 or so years soaking up the light from a yellow son.
20 years or so learning how to use them.
and 10 years or so learning how to use them to beat the crap out of super powered people.

The only person who really poses a physical threat to Kal on new Krypton is Kara

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 08:52 PM
Not really.

Superman has spent 35 or so years soaking up the light from a yellow son.
20 years or so learning how to use them.
and 10 years or so learning how to use them to beat the crap out of super powered people.

The only person who really poses a physical threat to Kal on new Krypton is Kara

Superman also lost his powers by plunging himself into a Red Sun during the Infinity Crisis adventure, and it took a year for his powers to recover back to normal levels. They do comment in, World of New Krypton that Zod's soldiers ALL attack Superman and while all as strong as Superman, he proceeds to kick their ass.

Zod...reluctantly....concludes Superman actually doesn't rely on his super powers as much as being just a general badass with them.

Yulian
2009-03-05, 09:20 PM

Yeah, them and the Daxamites.

Oh wait, is DC forgetting they already have a world with maybe millions of Superman-level people?

- Yulian

lisiecki
2009-03-05, 09:33 PM
Superman also lost his powers by plunging himself into a Red Sun during the Infinity Crisis adventure, and it took a year for his powers to recover back to normal levels. They do comment in, World of New Krypton that Zod's soldiers ALL attack Superman and while all as strong as Superman, he proceeds to kick their ass.

Zod...reluctantly....concludes Superman actually doesn't rely on his super powers as much as being just a general badass with them.

Was the New Earth Superman the Superman in the Crisis?
Not trying to be sarcastic, but DC continuity is a wee bit confusing

Yulian
2009-03-05, 09:37 PM
I'm going to pile on with the (even for a comic) total irrationality of the humans all hatin'.

Aside from the "neat stuff" angle, no world leader, no diplomat, no person who has the ears of the world has said:

"Hey! Idiots! Each one of these people is strong enough to throw an aircraft carrier! Maybe we shouldn't antagonize them!"

The Earth has been on the receiving end of nasty aliens before. Remember when Mongul blew Coast City off the map? Or when all those hawkpeople attacked? The parasite things that drank human spines? Oh, and don't forget when those white martians tried to replace all the oxygen on Earth with something that wouldn't burn. How about when the Amazons attacked Washington DC and multiple other cities? Remember when those crazy guys with yellow rings tried to slaughter Green Lantern and his friends?

Yeah...let's actually try and cause that for a change by hacking off 10,000 Supermans. Oh, and banish someone like Power Girl who has a sterling reputation as a respected superheroine.

It's beyond moronic, especially since the Kryptonians didn't shoot first. Not to mention that, collectively, the Kryptonians could just push their planet to a new, yellow-sun system without the savage monkeys living there.

- Yulian

Vic_Sage
2009-03-05, 09:55 PM
I'm going to pile on with the (even for a comic) total irrationality of the humans all hatin'.

Aside from the "neat stuff" angle, no world leader, no diplomat, no person who has the ears of the world has said:

"Hey! Idiots! Each one of these people is strong enough to throw an aircraft carrier! Maybe we shouldn't antagonize them!"

The Earth has been on the receiving end of nasty aliens before. Remember when Mongul blew Coast City off the map? Or when all those hawkpeople attacked? The parasite things that drank human spines? Oh, and don't forget when those white martians tried to replace all the oxygen on Earth with something that wouldn't burn. How about when the Amazons attacked Washington DC and multiple other cities? Remember when those crazy guys with yellow rings tried to slaughter Green Lantern and his friends?

Yeah...let's actually try and cause that for a change by hacking off 10,000 Supermans. Oh, and banish someone like Power Girl who has a sterling reputation as a respected superheroine.

It's beyond moronic, especially since the Kryptonians didn't shoot first. Not to mention that, collectively, the Kryptonians could just push their planet to a new, yellow-sun system without the savage monkeys living there.

- Yulian
Somone didn't read the comics leading up to this. NO one antagonized them first, the Kryptonians did, they killed Science Officers and kidnap people (Albeit criminals), all so, Kryptonians are NOT nice people, less violent and xenophobic than Daxamites but only less so, they've all ways had massive superiority complexes for the most part and when you add on that they'll be as strong as Superman to their all ready massive egos, you can see how a tense situation can get worse, especially when you throw someone like Zod in the mix. You all so gotta take into account, that once again 100,000 aliens with the powers of Superman, yeah their are countermeasures to a situation like this but not any on a scale like this unless they were to call in the GL Corps *Which most likely wouldn't happen due to the Guardians being ******.

Yeah, guys like Lex and Lane aren't helping the situation by doing whatever thier doing, including unleashing guys like Mettalo, Reactron, Superwoman, and Doomsday and whatever they plan on doing with Brainiac.

All so I don't think its general knowledge that PG is a kryptonian.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 09:56 PM

Actually, that's Sam Lane's reason for attacking. As he explained to Lex Luthor. Basically, if the human race lets the Kryptonians settle down then human culture and the human race will be overwhelmed by their superior technology and abilities. In the end, they'll start worshiping the Kryptonians as gods.

I think he's currently working on cloning an army of Doomsdays, which are all programmed to hate Kryptonians by nature anyway.

(Recall, the DCU is actually darker than the Marvel Universe in Cadmus. Only in the DCU would someone think a huge bunch of laboratories devoted to cloning for the government is good, clean, whacky fun)

And really, the United States President tried to make peace with them. That's just when Sam unleashed Doomsday to disrupt it.

Yes, Lois Lane's dad is a super villain.

To be fair, we haven't seen PG's banishment on screen yet.

The Kryptonians aren't innocent by any stretch of the imagination either. Zor-El ordered all of Superman's criminals rounded up and put in the Phantom Zone. Even relatively harmless ones like the Prankster.

Some Police Officers in Metropolis resisted and some of Zodd's former people fried them. Which is what got the Justice League involved, sovereignty be damned.

It's wrong to call the Kryptonians bad guys during this, but Zodd being released is bad for everyone around if you missed the obvious Nazi Germany analogues in the trailer.

Here's the Youtube version btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bau7zWFJRHw

Vic_Sage
2009-03-05, 10:12 PM
It's wrong to call the Kryptonians bad guys during this, but Zodd being released is bad for everyone around if you missed the obvious Nazi Germany analogues in the trailer.

I'm actually really hoping they don't go this route with Zod, it would be far to obvious and would be interesting to see Big Blue proven wrong on this one.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-05, 10:21 PM
I'm actually really hoping they don't go this route with Zod, it would be far to obvious and would be interesting to see Big Blue proven wrong on this one.

I'm honestly not so sure, because Zod really is one of the few Adolf Hitler analogues in fiction that actually has some substantive relationship to Nazis rather than just superficial ones designed to make audiences go point and say "Boo, hiss!"

Being a tremendous racist to humans, his failed military coup, charisma, and marshaling the Kryptonians based on his crazed ideologies.

Besides, Zod is one of the few Superman villains that actually works. There's Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and Darkseid. It'd be a shame to lose this one after all the awful Zod pretenders.

Plus, the Kryptonians can actually be forgiven for falling for him because they never had any of the dictators the Earth has.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-06, 03:09 AM
It should be noted, the Kryptonians can't just go to another galaxy either. They don't have any starships and while they could probably construct some given sufficient time, no one has been given much of a chance to think clearly.

But they can fly (FLY) to Mars, without problem. Or do Superman need to breathe now? As I said I have not read any superman comics for a good 20 years, but I have no recollection of him having any problems with staying in open space for years if needed.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 03:21 AM
But they can fly (FLY) to Mars, without problem. Or do Superman need to breathe now? As I said I have not read any superman comics for a good 20 years, but I have no recollection of him having any problems with staying in open space for years if needed.

Superman uses a space ship now. According to current canon, he can survive indefinitely without air as long as he has solar energy but would eventually run out of it the further he flew away from the sun.

The Artificial Krypton they created is using the old "Opposite Side of the Sun's orbit from the Earth."

The big issue the Kryptonians are having with the Earth is the fact that, in addition to attacks by General Lane and Doomsday; they're also really really really insular. As far as anyone remembers, General Zod only did a revolution against the Science Council because he knew Krypton was going to blow up. So everyone is treating him like a national hero. A few of the more bigoted ones also think that, if Zod had conquered the Earth, then it would have been good for the primitive ape-men.

Nasty as that seems, that's pretty standard for how a bunch of Earthmen feel.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-06, 04:50 AM
Superman uses a space ship now. According to current canon, he can survive indefinitely without air as long as he has solar energy but would eventually run out of it the further he flew away from the sun.

The Artificial Krypton they created is using the old "Opposite Side of the Sun's orbit from the Earth."

The big issue the Kryptonians are having with the Earth is the fact that, in addition to attacks by General Lane and Doomsday; they're also really really really insular. As far as anyone remembers, General Zod only did a revolution against the Science Council because he knew Krypton was going to blow up. So everyone is treating him like a national hero. A few of the more bigoted ones also think that, if Zod had conquered the Earth, then it would have been good for the primitive ape-men.

Nasty as that seems, that's pretty standard for how a bunch of Earthmen feel.

Well I understand the problem of having to be close to a yellow sun. (Btw it was a long time ago, but how about the other suns? Blue light? Green Light? etc.) but not in this case. Within the solar system, there should be plenty of yellow sunlight. To get to Mars would not be a problem. To fly all the way across to the "new Krypton" would be even LESS of a problem since you are at worst getting very much closer to our sun, and at worst at the same distance as earth is.

As for Zod, this is the part of the story that do sound interesting.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 05:30 AM
Well I understand the problem of having to be close to a yellow sun. (Btw it was a long time ago, but how about the other suns? Blue light? Green Light? etc.) but not in this case. Within the solar system, there should be plenty of yellow sunlight. To get to Mars would not be a problem. To fly all the way across to the "new Krypton" would be even LESS of a problem since you are at worst getting very much closer to our sun, and at worst at the same distance as earth is.

As for Zod, this is the part of the story that do sound interesting.

Well to bring you up to story speed, here's what's happened since the arrival of the Kryptonians.

All of the Kryptonians HAVE immigrated to New Krypton by this point after the Justice League attempted to storm the city in order to steal the guys who killed the police in Metropolis (you'd think they'd have done the same to Saddam).

Alurra Zor-El, the Fetching Super Mom...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Alura.jpg

Has decided humans and Earthlings should have nothing to do with one another. She tells Superman he's welcome on Kandor if he renounces all things Earthling. Superman, realizing Zod is going to play on the Kryptonian's feelings of isolation like a fiddle, decides to infiltrate them to do so.

By the time he reaches Kandor on New Krypton, he discovers Zod has been named Supreme Commander of the Kryptonian military and is training a new army with all of his men having been given pardons in the Phantom Zone.

Superman then is tested for what Kryptonian Caste he's best suited for and ends up getting assigned to Protector Caste....under Zod.

Lex Luthor and Sam Lane are continuing their Doomsday Project and they have somehow given Lucy Lane super powers (she joined the military) that superficially resemble Kryptonian abilities. Either she's gone bad or been brainwashed too since she also kills a Captain America analogue named Agent Liberty who finds out what Lois' Dad is doing.

Which is definitely NOT authorized by the President.

Oh and Conner Kent/Superboy is back.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-06, 05:44 AM
Well to bring you up to story speed, here's what's happened since the arrival of the Kryptonians.

All of the Kryptonians HAVE immigrated to New Krypton by this point after the Justice League attempted to storm the city in order to steal the guys who killed the police in Metropolis (you'd think they'd have done the same to Saddam).

Alurra Zor-El, the Fetching Super Mom...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Alura.jpg

Has decided humans and Earthlings should have nothing to do with one another. She tells Superman he's welcome on Kandor if he renounces all things Earthling. Superman, realizing Zod is going to play on the Kryptonian's feelings of isolation like a fiddle, decides to infiltrate them to do so.

By the time he reaches Kandor on New Krypton, he discovers Zod has been named Supreme Commander of the Kryptonian military and is training a new army with all of his men having been given pardons in the Phantom Zone.

Superman then is tested for what Kryptonian Caste he's best suited for and ends up getting assigned to Protector Caste....under Zod.

Lex Luthor and Sam Lane are continuing their Doomsday Project and they have somehow given Lucy Lane super powers (she joined the military) that superficially resemble Kryptonian abilities. Either she's gone bad or been brainwashed too since she also kills a Captain America analogue named Agent Liberty who finds out what Lois' Dad is doing.

Which is definitely NOT authorized by the President.

This makes much more sense. Except for her name (I do not find her "alluring", at all :smallwink:). That is the ugliest drag queen I have seen in quite a while (fault of the artist's glaring lack of skill with drawing faces, no doubt).

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 06:00 AM
I don't know, I like her look a lot better than her daughter, Supergirl the Super Twig. Then again, I'm 28 and I don't much care for comic book sixteen year olds, but ye gods would it kill the illustrators to put some meat on her.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-06, 06:17 AM
I don't know, I like her look a lot better than her daughter, Supergirl the Super Twig. Then again, I'm 28 and I don't much care for comic book sixteen year olds, but ye gods would it kill the illustrators to put some meat on her.

It's not the meat of lack there of; in fact I agree with you; it's the incredibly masculine face.

Haven
2009-03-06, 06:36 AM
Why don't they just move to Mercury? Even if this week Superman's powers don't mean Kryptonians can just fly there on their own, they can just call Zatanna or someone and teleport them all there. Between their advanced tech and super-speed they could probably terraform, err, Kryptoform it pretty quickly. They'd be closer to the sun, and wouldn't have to worry about their jackass neighbors until they got starship technology (and, if everyone on Earth getting superpowers and fighting a cosmic horror alongside a horde of angels doesn't cause a status quo change, nothing will).

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 06:43 AM
Why don't they just move to Mercury? Even if this week Superman's powers don't mean Kryptonians can just fly there on their own, they can just call Zatanna or someone and teleport them all there. Between their advanced tech and super-speed they could probably terraform, err, Kryptoform it pretty quickly. They'd be closer to the sun, and wouldn't have to worry about their jackass neighbors until they got starship technology (and, if everyone on Earth getting superpowers and fighting a cosmic horror alongside a horde of angels doesn't cause a status quo change, nothing will).

No idea.

Personally, if they had moved to the Moon, they could have become the DC Comics version of the Inhumans. The immortal, aloof, arrogant as Hell super beings that could crack open the planet if they weren't so isolationist. I guess they created their own miniature planet because:

A:] They can. Thanks to Brainiac.
B:] They wanted to be as like Krypton as possible.

An incredibly geeky moment here. Kryptonians in addition to being invulnerable are also super-sensitive. Ironically, they're only as sensitive as normal human beings because of this (the invulnerability cancelling it out). So, they can actually tolerate the heat of Mercury or the Earth's Sun but I think Superman views it as uncomfortably hot.

So it's cool when Superman flies through the Sun but I imagine it hurts like Hell.

It's not the meat of lack there of; in fact I agree with you; it's the incredibly masculine face.

Oh great, now I see it. She's much better in other pictures.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pScx8BN4h3s/SUEKgr86I4I/AAAAAAAAB6I/aRdWrVUqSYE/s320/Act+872-07.jpg

lisiecki
2009-03-06, 08:15 PM

Has Connor been on screen yet?
I know he was in the Scar story with Lex, but has he actually come back/done anything yet?

I love me the Superboy, If he is around id love ot know what issues

Yeah...let's actually try and cause that for a change by hacking off 10,000 Supermans. Oh, and banish someone like Power Girl who has a sterling reputation as a respected superheroine

Is the fact that Power Girl is a Kryptonian common knowledge in the DCU?

its obvious that the other El's know that she is, and im sure some of the JSA do, but dose the knowledge go past there?

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 09:04 PM
Has Connor been on screen yet?
I know he was in the Scar story with Lex, but has he actually come back/done anything yet?

I love me the Superboy, If he is around id love ot know what issues

Well...

Nightwing the Kryptonian, not **** Grayson, has displayed tactile telekinesis (it's called that in the text) and they've dropped some pretty bombshell sized hints that it's Conner Kent like "We can't let them know you're back." Before staring up at the statue of Superboy.

Is the fact that Power Girl is a Kryptonian common knowledge in the DCU? Its obvious that the other El's know that she is, and im sure some of the JSA do, but dose the knowledge go past there?

According to Kara's history, she was believed to be Kryptonian in her first arrival in the DCU and she hasn't made any secret of a lot of facts. Like the other Superman being her cousin.

Anteros
2009-03-06, 10:34 PM
(and, if everyone on Earth getting superpowers and fighting a cosmic horror alongside a horde of angels doesn't cause a status quo change, nothing will).

I'm not really a comic person, but I'm curious...what was the name of this story? I tried a general google search but didn't pull any results.

Thanks.

Charles Phipps
2009-03-06, 10:46 PM
I'm not really a comic person, but I'm curious...what was the name of this story? I tried a general google search but didn't pull any results.

Thanks.

It's like a single panel in the Justice League.

Haven
2009-03-06, 11:34 PM

Thanks.

The story was collected as JLA: World War III. It was the culmination to Grant Morrison's run on the Justice League. That part was kind of disappointing, because there was so much going on that the army of humans with superpowers fighting alongside angels was basically ignored except for a single panel.

I would definitely recommend Grant Morrison's work on JLA though; it's kind of what got me into comics.

Really? What I'd heard is that they were going to bring him back as a Black Lantern. If they're dropping hints like saying "we can't let anyone know you're back" in front of a statue of Superboy though, it's probably not him. Remember how they hinted Supernova was Connor in 52?

Charles Phipps
2009-03-07, 12:12 AM
Given how DC operates, it's entirely possible they intend to bring him back as a Black Lantern while someone ELSE intended to bring him back this way.

I don't think this is misdirection though.

He's also acquainted with the Legion of Superheroes.

WitchSlayer
2009-03-09, 06:02 AM
It's definitely not that mix up, the writer for New Krypton is the same writer for Blackest Night.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-09, 06:15 AM
No idea. Oh great, now I see it. She's much better in other pictures.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pScx8BN4h3s/SUEKgr86I4I/AAAAAAAAB6I/aRdWrVUqSYE/s320/Act+872-07.jpg

Agreed Who is the incredibly untalented guy drawing the first one?

Vic_Sage
2009-03-09, 03:00 PM
Agreed Who is the incredibly untalented guy drawing the first one?
It is the same guy.