PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Shapechanging

horngeek
2009-03-06, 07:35 PM
This is a question out of curiosity. Are there any items, spells or other methods of stopping a creature from changing shape? Not that would cause it to revert to its true form, what I'm looking for is somthing that would trap it in the form it had assumed.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-06, 08:59 PM
I think DEATH does that in some cases. That'll teach those players a lesson. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2009-03-06, 09:33 PM
Okay, let me clarify. I'm looking for a way to keep a person (or a bieng) from shapechanging, WITHOUT killing them.

Come to think of it, if you could pull this off on a Dragon who had been shape shifted at the time...

NEO|Phyte
2009-03-06, 09:34 PM
I think DEATH does that in some cases. That'll teach those players a lesson. :smalltongue:

Won't work, death causes shapeshifters to revert to their true form, which the OP specifically doesn't want.

woodenbandman
2009-03-06, 09:39 PM
Sequester or anything that gives them suspended animation, though that's almost death.

Collin152
2009-03-06, 09:49 PM
I don't think there's an effect that explicitly does what you want, but I feel there should be.
If they're voluntary shapeshifters like dopplegangers, Geas might work, right?

horngeek
2009-03-06, 09:54 PM
I've had a think, and from what I know of the 3.5 rules, an antimagic effect would be the most universal way to achieve it. However, I don't know whether that would trap the victim in the form they were in. If it does, a pair of antimagic manacles would do it.

EDIT: and by the way, Collin152, your sig (at least the spoilered part) is nasty. The colours are truly nasty

The Glyphstone
2009-03-06, 09:57 PM
There's ways to force a shapeshifter back into their natural form and sometimes keep them from changing again for a time - I think there's a spell in SC that does it, Moon something.

Collin152
2009-03-06, 10:01 PM
EDIT: and by the way, Collin152, your sig (at least the spoilered part) is nasty. The colours are truly nasty

...you say to the fellow whose sig also contains a constantly increasing scorecard of mindrapes.
The rainbow is significant, dammit.

Also, Polymorph any Object would work on things that do not have the shapechanger subtype, like things that are polymorphed; but only indirectly.

Telonius
2009-03-06, 10:07 PM
Dominate Person, Suggestion, and Demand could all achieve it, assuming the shapeshifter failed its save. Make it sound reasonable: "Hey, there's a plague going around, but only humans can catch it. It'd be best to stay in your shapeshifted form."

horngeek
2009-03-06, 10:22 PM
...you say to the fellow whose sig also contains a constantly increasing scorecard of mindrapes.
The rainbow is significant, dammit.

Also, Polymorph any Object would work on things that do not have the shapechanger subtype, like things that are polymorphed; but only indirectly.

Yes, well, you can now amend that line. It now should read:

Mindrape Victims : +2

Collin152
2009-03-06, 10:24 PM
Yes, well, you can now amend that line. It now should read:

Mindrape Victims : +2

No, no, the +1 means that every time you read it, it goes up 1.

Elminster1
2009-03-07, 12:22 AM
What about good ole' dispel magic or greater, dispel magic:smalltongue:

Sendal
2009-03-07, 12:54 AM
I know of no items that do that, but it wouldn't be hard to make one up. If your the DM then its a non issue, if your a player then take it up with the DM.

bosssmiley
2009-03-07, 07:35 AM
Just create a mid-high level spell that is to polymorph what dimensional lock is to teleport. Call it morphic stricture or something... Job done.