PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Jakwin: Third Time's the Charm

Deckmaster
2009-03-07, 01:09 PM
You are in the city of Avenlo, in the central plains of Jakwin, which is bisected down the center by the Sheen River. The city itself is full of teeming masses; an unfocused mob, each individual focused solely on their own tasks and heeding everyone else only long enough to avoid physically bumping into them.

At the center of the city is the the Grand Palace, the home of the King. Nearby, on the other side of the river, the equally imposing Noble Council Hall stands almost in opposition to the palace.

That is not where you are. You are currently at the City Guard Barracks. While not exactly poor, it's not exactly luxurious either. The busy atmosphere that pervades the rest of the city is in place here, as well. Guards enter and leave, looking to be distracted by more important things than you. You came here seeking your mentor but were told upon naming your mentor to the City Guard to come here. Now you are waiting in a small room, not knowing precisely why you are here or what will come of this.

You may now introduce yourselves to each other.

josh13905
2009-03-07, 02:11 PM
Kipling

Sitting in a corner of the room is a man whose head is shaved he wears but a peasants outfit and appears to be meditating something about him exudes a deep sense of Self-Discipline and Control.

Kipling looks all the other adventurers over carefully gauging who they are and what they are doing here by clothes appearance and their posture.

Hello, my name is Kipling if ou wouldn't mind i would like to know your names.

TheThan
2009-03-07, 03:11 PM
Abigail

On a low bench against the far wall, sits a young woman, barely out of her teens. Brown hair is tied back in a ponytail. Round glasses sitting high on her petite nose frame her pretty face. Unfortunately she is currently wearing a scowl, as if she is angry or frustrated over something.

She sits with her back straight against the wall and her arms folded over her bosom. She’s wearing a sky blue spaghetti strap dress with gold embroidery etching out what look like arcane symbols. Next to her, taking up a seat on the bench is a single strap book bag that’s fairly well stuffed with items. She has a simple wooden staff propped up against the wall as well.

Abigail had been trying to ignore the others in the room; her mind set on her task. But the strange bald peasant in the corner distracts her, and she decides to give up the hard case act.

I’m Abigail; my friends call me Abby. So what are you in for?

OOC: choosing green as my speech color. Italic green is thought.

Rodgin
2009-03-07, 03:38 PM
Name's Roondar the man standing by the window says. His brown hair is long, and rather unkept looking. A full beard and mustache work their way together down the front of a weathered face.

A simple set of hide armor covers much of his skin, and hair covers the rest. There is a wild look about him, though his gray eyes give off a sence of peace and understanding.

Apparently he didn't have much else to say.

josh13905
2009-03-07, 04:39 PM
Kipling

Grimly:I am here because someone important to me has gone missing and I am going to find him, whatever the cost, why are you all here?His gaze falls over everyone in the room evenly and eventually his eyes close, still in meditation.

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-07, 05:48 PM
Dash

Leaning against the wall in the far corner is a strange-looking, hooded figure. There is not much the others in the room can tell about this figure at the present time, not even his race.

Dash, maintains his silence as the conversation continues. He keeps his hood down while studying the adventurers around him, not trusting any of them, watching their every move. Uncomfortably, Dash keeps his small tail inside his leather armour to avoid being prejudiced against by the other adventurers.

But Dash can't help but ponder the question being asked inside his head: I am here because there is no where I fit in, adventuring is my place in life.

Dash's orange leather armor and strange appearance attracts a few furtive glances from the other adventurers, one particularly distrustful glance as his red eyes are spotted under the hood.

OOC: Dark orange is Dash's speech, italic dark orange is thoughts. Someone might want to be the one who gave me that distrustful glance.

Quietus
2009-03-07, 06:54 PM
Fiona seems extraordinarily out of place among these armored men, yet maintains a cool demeanor, her posture and mannerisms suggesting long hours being schooled in proper ladylike etiquette. High cheekbones, accented by long tumbles of blonde hair, combine with her green eyes, slender features, and pointed ears to give away her elven heritage - though anyone who'd spent a great deal of time among elves would see that there is some human in her, as well. Her clothing seems courtly, a pale white travelling dress, cut to just below her collarbone and hanging off of her shoulders, with lace trim around the edges and flowing sleeves to give plenty of room. The dress ends below her knees, as if to put on display the white leather boots she wears, the entire ensemble accenting her lightly tanned skin.

Casting those green eyes about everyone present, she can't help but take an extra moment to examine the one person in the room who seems to be hiding himself, uncomfortable with whatever motives someone might have for doing such a thing. Tucking her clearly well-made lap harp under her arm protectively, she holds it close to her, as a mother would a child, as she continues to size up her situation. Once done, she clears her throat and waits for as much attention as the room will afford her, before speaking.

"I was told to come here, in my search for Elrohir Ancelime. Might any of you have some information as to where I may find him?"

((OOC : Ancelime is pronounced An-Seh-Leem. Also, I'd rather just use quotations to mark my speech; If anyone has an issue with this, please let me know. :smallbiggrin: ))

Greeniron
2009-03-07, 06:59 PM
Trognar

Trognar stands against a wall while looking around like an animal just waiting to strike, while looking the part of a wild animal
He lets out a grunt and replies "I'm here because I have nowhere else I can go now, that is needed to be known about me.

Now attempting to size up the others in the look, he walks to the other side of the room, it is pretty obvious that he doesn't like to be confined like this, and he doesn't try to hide it.
It seems I'm not the only one who is searching for someone.

ooc:Trognar will speak in magenta and thoughts will be italics.

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-07, 09:14 PM
Nevin

A man in his late teens stands quietly to one side, his back turned towards the center of the room. Absentmindedly fidgeting with the holy symbol hanging around his neck, he stares out the window, or possibly into it, the reflection of his fair blue eyes staring back at him as he tucks a strand of curly blonde hair behind his ear. His clothing is simple, but well maintained, his chain shirt catching and amplifying the morning light coming in through the window. He might actually be quite attractive, given the right conditions, but currently the entire effect is ruined by a perpetual frown and dark circles under his eyes. It would appear he hasn't slept well the last few nights.

Nevin listens carefully to the conversation going on behind him as he stares down at the bustling streets of Avenlo. She may have come this way as well, but any trace will have been washed away by this sea of humanity. Yes, only Lord Loam can help me find her now. Turning to face the room, Nevin waits for a break in the conversation before he speaks.

To Fiona:
"I'm sorry miss, I have never heard of anyone by that name, although I'm beginning to think we may all be here on a common purpose."

To Everyone:
"I am Nevin, Paladin in the service of Dycatar. My mentor, Lord Patrick Killian of the House of Loam, has gone missing as well..." He trails off towards the end of his thought, before continuing again in a diminutive voice, "I must find him... he still has much to teach me." He stares off into space until, with a start, he comes back to his senses, his eyes quickly scanning across the room as if he had only just arrived. With a slight sigh of relief, he speaks. "I apologize, I haven't been myself as of late. I came to Avenlo in search of my master and was directed here. Am I right in assuming the rest of you are here for the same reason?"

(OOC: Nevin will be taking Deep Sky Blue for his speech, with thoughts in italics.)

josh13905
2009-03-08, 08:12 AM
Kipling

Kipling listens to the conversation around him and sensing Trognar move he eyes him curiously then returns to his previous state.

So many people, why are they all here? is it all connected? 7 here hmmmm...It must be connected in a way I cannot understand.

OOC: i will be using Blue for speech and Italic Blue for thought if i can remember...

Deckmaster
2009-03-08, 11:41 AM
Suddenly a door opens and a guard comes in. He asks you to follow him.

You are led down a short corridor to another door, which he opens. He gestures for you to enter. There is a balding man with a blond mustache sitting at a desk. He stands up as you enter.

Greetings, he says. I am Lord Corinth of the House of Priam, Captain of the City Guard. We have a common goal; each of you is searching for your mentor. We want to help.

What do you do?

josh13905
2009-03-08, 02:31 PM
Kipling

Kipling greets the man, Hello Corinth, I am Kipling, do you have news of where our mentors are? He waits patiently for an answer and gazes around the romm

Rodgin
2009-03-08, 03:51 PM
How do you intend to help Roondar asks shortly. Perhaps we all mgiht be better helping each other. From what I've seen, your men don't fair well outside of the city.

Roondar keeps checking out the window, as if watching for something/

TheThan
2009-03-08, 04:07 PM
Gathering up her things, Abigail follows the others through the door and into the room with the captain in it.

Its about time, they’ve only kept us waiting all morning.

She recognizes the name of the commander from her time in the city. So apparently these other people that have gone missing are important as well. It sort of comes as no surprise to her; after all they were in the missing persons’ department of the city guard. Though meeting the captain of the guard himself was unexpected.

Its an honor to meet you Lord Corinth, your reputation its well known to the residents of the mage’s quarter. Why, my I ask, would the captain of the city guard pay heed to a string of missing persons cases. Surely you have more important cases to attend to than ours.

Ok I decided Abigail’s wizard’s school is in this city. If that’s a problem say so and I can edit the post

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-09, 02:10 AM
Nevin

Used to being in the presence of nobility, Nevin makes a low bow as the captain of the guard formally introduces himself, quickly searching his mind to see if the family name is familiar.[roll0]

"My Lord Corinth, you are too kind. I would be grateful for any help you can give, although I must confess, I am slightly surprised. Is it normal procedure for the captain of the guard to be involved in the search for a missing person?" Why is the captain of the guard offering his services for a simple missing person's case?
[roll1]

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-09, 03:32 AM
Dash

Dash's cautious nature leads him to suspect the motives of this 'noble' man.

Sense Motive Check
[roll0]

Silently, Dash studies the captain of the guard. He looks for any unusual features or items he has.

Greeniron
2009-03-09, 03:46 AM
As Trognar stands up straight he says in his deep booming voice
Why would you help me find Throllmar, human?

What could this human gain from helping me find Throllmar?

Trognar then gives his full attention to Corinth.

Ooc: roll passives for me please, if you havent done so arleady. Also room description if possible, need to make plans in case this place comes under siege or something just as bad

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-09, 04:14 AM
OOC: Didn't make spot check woops.

Spot ChecK:
[roll0]

Quietus
2009-03-09, 06:57 AM
Accustomed to the Elven courts, and the long waits generally associated with some of the characters she'd known from them, Fiona is fully capable of remaining quiet and patient until the guard arrives, her slender fingers travelling along the lengths of her harp strings, not playing, just keeping herself certain that it hasn't been stolen. Occasionally, anyone watching her can see her sending glances in the direction of the one who keeps himself hidden, ensuring that he isn't making a move to take anything.

When the guard finally arrives and asks us to follow him, Fiona simply gives a haughty nod, as if to say "Lead the way." Allowing many of the other adventurers to go ahead of her, she waits until Dash will be before her, not wanting anyone she isn't able to actually see to be left behind her. On meeting the Lord Corinth, she gives a ladylike curtsy, or whatever would be appropriate for this area. "My Lord, I've heard your name many times before. It is a pleasure to finally meet you in person.", she says, an honest smile lighting on her lips.

((If needed, I can roll Knowledge(Nobility) against the proper greetings for the area.))

Deckmaster
2009-03-09, 01:56 PM
(See OOC thread for dice rolling procedures, please)

Nevin: You've heard of him; he's a high-ranking noble. That's about all you know. He seems to be genuinely interested in helping you, but somewhat distracted, as if other matters also demand his attention.

TheBlackArcher: He seems genuinely interested in helping you. His uniform, which is sky blue, seems more ornate than the other guards you've seen, and his sword, from what you can see, is well crafted.

Corinth does a terse salute in response to the more formal introductions, as if he doesn't have time for more. He raises his hands to stop the barrage of questions. No, I don't know where they are. My men go on missions outside the city all the time. They are more than capable of helping you, I am certain. This is no simple missing persons case. I don't know if you are aware of this, but all your mentors did great deeds together that helped Avenlo immensely. We've been keeping track of them ever since. The fact that they've gone missing has not gone unnoticed. The Necromancer was never captured; some think he is still around and involved in this. I have a vested interest in quelling unrest in my city, therefore it is beneficial to me that they be found as quickly as possible. I'm not going to be directly involved, but I am going to assign a guard to aid you in your search.

At that, a guard walks in. He is much younger than Corinth and has short blond hair and blue eyes.

You called for me, my Lord? he asked.

Speak of the Dark Gods, here he is now. This is Tristan of the House of Percival. Tristan, these are the people I was speaking about earlier. You know your assignment. As for the rest of you, you should not feel that Tristan is acting as your leader. However, I suggest that you listen to his suggestions. He has a keen investigative mind you will no doubt find useful.

josh13905
2009-03-09, 02:32 PM
Kipling

Kipling looks the youth up and down studiously, then decides to not comment on his thoughts. I understand the formalities that are required at such an occasion but urgency compels me to question, do you know anything else that may help us with our task?
He looks curiously into the mans eyes.
I wonder if he knows more of this than he lets on... perhaps i should be wary of him. Always vigilant of the easily corruptable government Kipling waits.

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-09, 03:40 PM
Nevin

Listening to Lord Corinth, a look of disbelief makes its way across Nevin's face as he slowly takes a seat, resting his hands against his forehead and staring at the floor. All young children knew of the Necromancer, had heard the stories that caused you to check under the bed and behind the door before going to sleep. He had thought the tales to be only ghost stories meant to put the fear of Dycatar into young children, but was now being told they were truth and his mentor had played a part in them. Lord Loam had been skillful and powerful beyond measure, but one of the legendary seven who battled with the Necromancer? Why had he felt the need to keep his past a secret, and if the Necromancer was truly to blame for Lord Loam's disappearance, as the captain seemed to suggest, what chance at rescue could Nevin possibly have?

Looking up from the floor, Nevin carefully studies the other six adventurers in the room with him. Not alone. I suppose that's something, and each of them mentored by one of the seven. I should say something to my new companions, but what?

Remaining seated, Nevin withdraws into himself, having little experience with small talk and even less at forming friendships. Still, he positions himself so that there is room to sit comfortably beside him on the bench, hoping that one of the others will take notice.

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-09, 04:54 PM
Dash

Something clicked as soon as he heard the 'Necromancer' being named. He quickly pondered this in his head silently. Dash looked around the room in disbelief... there were 6 other adventurers. He knew that there had been 7 great adventurers who first defeated the Necromancer, his master, Roland had told him about their adventures once. They were all apprentices of the 7 adventurers.

Perhaps I should say something.... but what?

Quietus
2009-03-09, 07:34 PM
Fiona

"They suspect the Necromancer is involved in this? And they want us to get involved as well?", Fiona thinks to herself, stomach twisting in fear as she thinks back to the stories her father had told her. He'd often mentioned the Necromancer, and a part of her had always suspected that he wasn't just inserting himself as the grand hero of the story, as he had tendency to do. Here was proof of that. With a deep sigh, she once more gazes over those assembled. "And each of them trained by one of his companions. Even that one?", she thinks, gaze lingering distastefully on Dash.

"I suppose if we are to work together in this, we ought to introduce ourselves.", she says, drawing herself up to her full height - all of 4'10. "I am Fiona Ancelime, daughter and student to Elrohir Ancelime. I don't believe I managed to catch all of your names, earlier.", she says, her presence large enough to make up for her short stature. Anyone looking for clues as to what exactly she might be good at, however, would note that she wears no weapons nor armor, and has no pack in which such things might be carried.

Rodgin
2009-03-09, 07:52 PM
Name's Roondar the large bearded man said, standing around, antsily waiting to be dismissed. And if we have undead to take care of, i suggest we get started soon. Nature will not stand for such abuses.

Greeniron
2009-03-10, 04:40 AM
I am the mighty warrior Trognar, and I agree with my new small friend here. If there is to be battle, let it commence soon, for the undead do not rest.
A grim smile appears on the 6'7'' wild looking orc's face

After saying this Trognar looks at the new humanoid expectantly.
Maybe now I can earn some new trophies or battlescars.

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-10, 01:41 PM
Nevin

Hearing everyone else introducing themselves, Nevin comes out of his stupor long enough to add his own name. Pressing his hand against his chest, he says,"Nevin" before retreating back to his thoughts. Looking across the room, Nevin makes eye contact with the short man in the orange leathers, catching a flash of red. Leaning forward on the bench he motions the man to come closer.

If Dash approaches:
(whispered)"Of us seven you're the only one who has yet to speak. It would be best to introduce yourself. Silence will only arouse suspicions"

If Dash does not approach:
Nevin sighs at the stranger's shyness, but can't condemn something he knows is also present in himself. With a curt nod to Dash, he focuses his attention elsewhere, staring to the side at nothing in particular.

Deckmaster
2009-03-10, 03:20 PM
I have told you all I know of this matter. If you'll excuse me, I have other matters to attend to. Corinth gave a gesture as if to say, "This matter is no longer my concern, please leave."

If you don't want to start right away, I can suggest an inn to stay in, offered Tristan, walking out of the room and indicating that the others should follow.

TheThan
2009-03-11, 01:10 AM
Abigail

Annoyed to find out this man and his minions had been spying on the Archmage and his friends for years. She manages to suppress an outburst and instead simply nods her head and begins to follow their chaperone out.

The sudden dismissal was frustrating as well. After being cooped up all morning waiting for an audience with the high and mighty captain of the guard, only to be dismissed almost immediately. Then there is the frustration of just walking away with more questions than answers.

Finding a place to rest is a good idea. After all the frustration of this morning we could use some time to work things out, and piece everything we know together. besides there's no sense in running around blindly, we might as well stay put until we know where to go.

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-11, 02:45 AM
Dash

Dash noticed Nevin gesturing to him but he decided to ignore it. As Tristan mentioned staying at an inn, Dash became frustrated.

Roland is missing, how can I sleep with that on my mind, even now, how can we stand idly by as our masters may be dead!

Dash began to dislike the lack of action and casual demeanor shown by the watchmen.

josh13905
2009-03-11, 06:42 AM
Kipling

Names Kipling, Outside the room: I believe in this case haste is of the utmost importance, i do not believe we should wait any longer before embarking, although i don't know where....

Kipling thinks on where he last saw his master.

Greeniron
2009-03-11, 12:18 PM
I agree with Kipling, but if we are not going to start the search right away, Im going to hunt for my food outside of this city and set up a camp. Come find me when we are to begin. I invite Roondar and the rest of you to join me.

OoC: This is assuming that hunting is allowed outside of the city

Maybe Throllmar is testing me with his disappearance, I will not fail him.

Trognar will wait to see where this inn is located and will tell everyone where he plans to make camp before going.

Quietus
2009-03-11, 06:53 PM
Following their impromptu chapreone, Fiona thinks back over what she knew before the meeting today, and what she'd learned since. The Necromancer had never been captured. She'd been right in searching for her father, as all of these people that had been gathered had one thing in common; All of their mentors had banded together to bring the Necromancer down in the first place, and now, all of their mentors had vanished. Lord Corinth hadn't given them any information, or even so much as a place to start.. Perhaps this Tristan would have some hint for them, but Fiona held no honest hope of that. They were grasping at straws, while not knowing where to find that hand which held them.

Finally, partway along their trudging path, Fiona huffs, striding quickly to stand directly in front of Dash, staring him in his eyes, seeking those red points she'd noticed earlier. "I am used to dealing with hidden agendas, and unspoken words, in the Elven Courts... but if any of us are to make any progress, it seems as though we need to work together, and you haven't so much as offered your name."

((Rolling Bardic Knowledge against information regarding the Necromancer, total 10. Rolling Diplomacy to see how well Fiona puts herself across to Dash, total 21.

Just to be clear, Dash : This isn't to change your attitude. I just feel that since Fiona is more diplomatic than I am personally, it would be worthwhile to show how SHE performed, rather than simply throwing words out that I put together.))

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-11, 09:21 PM
Nevin

As the others file out of the room, Nevin lingers for a moment on his bench, rising only after the others have left. Walking towards the door, he gives a bow to Lord Corinth before stepping through, arriving just in time to see Fiona confront the man he had motioned to. Elven courts?.

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-12, 12:25 AM
Dash

This half-elf is beginning to annoy me. I will reveal all in due course but how can I trust these people..

My name is Kipp. (bluff check: 17) That is all you need to know.

(Fiona may notice the way Dash speaks, like a dog barking, sort of like a kobold but a lot less pronounced.)

Dash then pulls his hood further over his face, hiding his face from Fiona.

Quietus
2009-03-12, 03:52 AM
For a moment, Fiona seems taken aback by the unusual voice, but recovers quickly. "Kipp it is, then. Pleased to meet you.", she says, the latter mostly out of habit, as she tilts her head politely. Stepping to the side, she lets 'Kipp' continue marching onward, still not entirely trusting of someone who is that short with her, before following the rest of the group onward.

Deckmaster
2009-03-14, 01:33 PM
Roondar: There are no laws against hunting.

Fiona: You have heard two stories about the necromancer; one is that the Orc tribes that were most loyal to him, the Wolf and Serpent Tribes, as well as most Goblins, considered it an honor to be made into an undead by him; why they thought so is unknown. Also, you know that he once killed the first King of Avenlo to encounter him just by appearing in his Feasting Hall during a feast; this event coincided with the outpost attack that triggered the war that bears his name. You also believe that Dash's name is Kipp.

Nevin: Indeed you have heard of the Elven courts, and know that they are more closely related to the Elven King that Avenlo nobles are, who mostly got to where they are by the acheivements of their ancestors.

Those of you who follow Tristan come to an inn called The Hero's Rest. Tristan offers to buy rooms for everyone.

Where are you? If you are with Tristan, do you take him up on his offer?

josh13905
2009-03-14, 03:00 PM
Kipling

With Tristran

kipling takes him up on his offer and goes to his room to meditate/sleep unless anything eventful happens assuming dinner and breakfast is included he eats normally.

PrivatePlatypus
2009-03-14, 03:57 PM
Nevin - With Tristan

Nevin thanks Tristan for his generosity and retires to his room, glad to have a chance to rest from the ordeals of the last few days. Provided there are no interruptions to his rest, he keeps to his room, waking at dawn in order to pray and focus himself for the coming day.

TheBlackArcher
2009-03-15, 04:02 AM
Dash

Dash is hunting with Trognar

Quietus
2009-03-15, 10:06 AM
Fiona

Remembering that bit of information regarding the orc tribes, Fiona casts a sideways glance toward Trognar, wondering silently what tribe he's affiliated with, if any. Given their current situation, she can't see him being part of either the wolf or serpent, but a part of her remains uneasy with the possibility.

Travelling with Tristan, she tilts her head politely when he offers to buy rooms, a heartfelt "Thank you" escaping her lips. Wanting time to process all she'd learned today, she spends most of her time in her own room - although if she has time, she'll spend a few hours in the nearby bars speaking with the locals, attempting to see if any of them has heard any rumors regarding her father, or any of the other mentor's who have been named.

((Gather information : 25, two hours spent crawling local bars))

Rodgin
2009-03-16, 08:07 AM
Deciding the woods is a better place then the city, Roondar heads out to go hunting with Trognar.

Greeniron
2009-03-17, 12:19 AM
Dash and Roondar, what animals are there around here, that we can hunt?

Trognar says as he removes his armor, which reveals the giant boar tatoo on his chest and then he starts arranging things for the camp

Ah it feels good to be out of that crowded city and their tiny rooms

josh13905
2009-03-28, 05:04 PM
OOC: Don't get all surprised but the first two of these jakwin campaigns ended like this kinda...

Kipling Frowns at the worlds seemingly frozen state.