PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Knight of the Righteous Chorus [Bard/Paladin PrC]

ErrantX
2009-03-08, 04:30 AM
Choir Knight

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/lythonv66/bard.jpg
Sir Galen Phenn, Knight of the Righteous Chorus

Some bards feel the call of the divine early in their career, just as some paladins find true divinity within the sounds of hymnals and choirs. Either way, members from each profession have come together to train and learn from each other. Having mingled their skills, these Knights of the Righteous Choir, or Choir Knights for short, are facing the world with a song in their just hearts and a sword in their hand.
Hit Die: d8

Requirements:
Alignment: Lawful good.
Skills: Diplomacy 9 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Perform (sing) 9 ranks
Feats: Devoted Performer (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Devoted_Performer,CAd), Skill Focus (Perform)
Spells: Must be capable of casting both 1st level spontaneous arcane spells and 1st level divine spells.
Special: Bardic music, aura of courage, turn undead

Choir Knight
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Bardic music, lyrical knight|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Smite evil 1/day|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Rallying song|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4||+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Song of grace|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5||+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Smite evil 2/day|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6||+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Hymn of the Faith|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Righteous Chorus|+1 level of bard spellcasting class / +1 level of paladin spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The choir knight gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies. Choir knights may continue to cast their bard spells in light armor per normal.

Bardic Music (Su): A choir knight adds his class level to his bard level to determine the number of times per day he can use his bardic music, the bardic music abilities he can employ, and the power of those abilities. For example, a 2nd-level bard/4th-level paladin/4th-level choir knight can use her bardic music ten times per day, can use any bardic music ability an 6th-level bard could use (assuming she meets the Perform skill rank requirements), and is treated as an 6th-level bard for adjudicating the effects of those abilities (such as number of targets, save DC, and so forth).

Lyrical Knight (Ex): As a man of both music and faith, he finds power in the music of his religion, in that, he finds grace. The choir knight may add his levels in the choir knight class and the bard class to his paladin class levels to determine the effectiveness of his lay on hands ability.

Smite Evil (Ex): Once per day at 2nd level, a choir knight may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per choir knight level. If the choir knight accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day. Due to possessing both levels in paladin and bard (with the Devoted Performer feat), he may add levels from both classes to the damage of his smite evil abilities. He gains an additional use of this ability at 7th level.

Spells per Day: When a new choir knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in his bard spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and his paladin spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of choir knight to his levels in both bard and paladin, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Rallying Song (Su): Fear is the enemy of the soldier's will, and in the fight against evil those with the righteousness to stand against the darkness need never fear it while a Knight of the Righteous Chorus is near. To be able to perform a rallying song, a choir knight must possess 10 ranks or more ranks in Perform (sing). As a standard action, the choir knight expends a bardic music use and a turn undead attempt to shake fear's grip upon his allies. Any ally who can hear this song who is under a fear effect may attempt another saving throw with a +4 morale bonus to his save. If this new save is successful, he may shake the fear effect off. Additionally, all allies who hear this song share the choir knight's immunity to fear effects for the duration of the ability (including those who were previously under a fear effect and succeeded in their second save to negate it through use of this ability).

Song of Grace (Su): The song of grace is a holy song used in battle by the Knights of the Righteous Choir to invigorate their fellows and aid them in combat. To use this song of grace, a choir knight must possess 11 or more ranks in Perform (sing). By expending a turn undead attempt in addition to a bardic music use, the choir knight may share his divine grace class feature with those he declares his ally as a standard action. All allies in range of this song gain the choir knight's Charisma modifier as a divine bonus to all saving throws for the duration of this song.

Hymn of the Faith (Su): A 9th level choir knight gains the supernatural song referred to as the 'hymn of the faith'. When singing this song, the choir knight invokes a powerful healing effect on his allies. To be able to learn this song, a choir knight must have a minimum of 15 or more ranks in Perform (sing). By expending a bardic music use and his lay on hands ability, the choir knight may grant his allies fast healing 5 as a standard action. This song draws its healing power from the choir knight's ability to lay on hands, thus, when the number of hit points restored by the song's fast healing reaches the choir knight's lay on hands maximum, the song is at its end (i.e. a 2nd level bard/4th level paladin/9th level choir knight's with a Charisma of 16 may heal a total of 45 hit points to each ally, and while singing this song he may sing it for 9 rounds).

Righteous Chorus (Su): At 10th level, a choir knight learns the most powerful song he may learn, what they call the 'righteous chorus'. By singing this song, they incant a hymn of supreme holy power that sears the ears of those who dwell in darkness. To be able to sing this song, a choir knight must possess at least 16 or more ranks in Perform (sing). The choir knight expends two bardic music uses and a turn undead attempt to begin the song as a standard action. The song is a short one, last only his Wisdom modifier in rounds, due to the perfect purity of its notes, but power of these notes is clear. Each round that the choir knight sings, during which he must use his move action to sustain the song, he is to be considered as casting holy word (http://http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm) at a caster level equal to his ranks in Perform (sing) (maximum caster level of 20). Save DC for this effect is equal to 17 + the choir knight's Charisma modifier. After the song is over, the choir knight is considered fatigued for 1d6 rounds as he catches his breath.

Frog Dragon
2009-03-08, 07:12 AM
Nice. Though I think a good Will save would fit better instead of a good Fort save.
Doesn't seem OP either

ErrantX
2009-03-08, 07:17 AM
Nice. Though I think a good Will save would fit better instead of a good Fort save.
Doesn't seem OP either

Perhaps, I was really tossing up whether or not it would be a high fort or a high will, and I decided to err on the side of the physical over the mental as most of the abilities of the class were mentally oriented.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "Doesn't seem OP either". Does that mean doesn't seem Optimal? Or Over Powered?

-X

Frog Dragon
2009-03-08, 07:22 AM
OP as in Overpowered

ErrantX
2009-03-08, 08:16 AM
Ahh, thanks!

I didn't think it would be over powered due to the fact that Paladin spellcasting isn't terribly impressive. Bard magic with paladin abilities would be neat, and I was really inspired by that Devoted Performer feat.

Question I pose to everyone here that reads this thread: Good Will or Good Fort? And what do you think about the choir knight songs? I made this for a player in my game so I want to know what people think in regards to its balance and such.

Appreciate any and all critiques, and glad you like it Frog Dragon :) It was very fun for me.

-X

ErrantX
2009-03-09, 05:43 PM
Made some revisions to this class.

First, gave it a good Will save progression and reduced the Fort save progression to poor. I'm still up in the air on giving it two good save progressions, and this is mostly because it does have dual spellcasting progression (even though one is paladin, it's like free spells, ya know?)

Secondly, I clarified a couple things in Rallying Song in regards to if you were currently under a fear effect and someone used this ability on you.

I also changed Hymn of the Faith to use your Lay on Hands ability instead of a turn attempt. The way it was before made it so that as long as you musics and turns, you probably were a better out of combat healer than a cleric. This way it just gives you a super-charged sort of Lay on Hands. I think this is a little more reasonable, but I'm open to critique on this one.

Comments welcomed :)
-X

The Demented One
2009-03-09, 06:25 PM
I think they should get an ability that lets them ignore the Bard's Chaotic-only alignment requirement, not everyone houserules that away. Also, given that neither class is really good at spellcasting (i.e., no 9th level spells), I think giving both sides a full caster progression wouldn't hurt at all. Lastly, I think at least full BAB, and maybe even d10 HD, are just necessary to this class. The paladin's already losing a bit of combat ability when he multiclasses bard; no need to hamstring him further.

Draz74
2009-03-09, 06:44 PM
I think they should get an ability that lets them ignore the Bard's Chaotic-only alignment requirement, not everyone houserules that away.

That's included -- namely, within the prerequisite feat, Devoted Performer.

Nitpick: it's non-Lawful, not Chaotic-only.

@OP: Not bad. Hybrid PrCs that don't add any wacky new synergy abilities aren't my favorite, but you've done a pretty good job of giving this one a unique archetype based on Devoted Performer, and of giving it fun fluff.

ErrantX
2009-03-09, 08:43 PM
I have considered the Demented One's suggestions and weighed it out, and I think that as both Bard and Paladin aren't exactly the most potent of combos together normally, nor that potent alone, I think that the Choir Knight could stand to benefit more paladin-ish battle skill. I'm gonna keep it at a d8 for hit die, but I gave full dual casting (1-10), good BAB, and good Fort to reflect that this is a more paladin-centric class. Bard is more of whats tacked onto Paladin for this class, in my eyes.

Lemme know what you think.

-X

Thurbane
2009-03-09, 08:52 PM
Looks good, and I love the flavour, but...isn't full progression (10/10) for both Bard and Paladin casting a little powerful? Granted, neither class is a "full casting" class to begin with, but I can't help but feel that in return for the benefits the PrC gives, maybe losing a level or so of each class's casting progression might be in order. YMMV.

ErrantX
2009-03-09, 10:16 PM
Looks good, and I love the flavour, but...isn't full progression (10/10) for both Bard and Paladin casting a little powerful? Granted, neither class is a "full casting" class to begin with, but I can't help but feel that in return for the benefits the PrC gives, maybe losing a level or so of each class's casting progression might be in order. YMMV.

Paladin spellcasting is really absolute and utter garbage. By level 10 in this class, the optimal build of 4 paladin and 2 bard, you'll have 2/1/1/0 in your paladin spells, plus whatever you have for bonus spells based on Wisdom. Bard spells are decent, but they're not amazing. You'd have to have an 18 Wisdom to cast 4th level spells and this is a class that totally focuses on Charisma.

I had originally placed it no casting at 1st level but full for both 2-10. I didn't think it would be too big of a deal, as its more than likely going to give you 12th level bard casting and 14th level paladin casting at 16th level, and you'd probably take a prestige class after that which would advance your bardic spells.

-X

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-09, 10:41 PM
A pretty cool class for a 'bardadin' build. Horrifically MAD unless optimized right (Only int is a dump stat, really), but no worse than a regular Devoted Performer.

Though he will lose out on the usual Bard4/Paladin16 build paladin mount, which is a shame.

Redikalus
2009-03-10, 02:33 PM
Really cool PrC! I'll definitely be using it in a campaign; I've always wanted to try the Devoted Performer feat.

Just a note on your description, the example for bardic music should be changed from six times per day to ten times per day because Devoted Performer counts Paladin levels when determining number of uses per day.

ErrantX
2009-03-10, 05:15 PM
Good catch on the bardic music uses, thanks!

If you do use the class, I'd love to hear how it ends up working for you. PM me or respond in the thread :)

-X