PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite spells anywhere [3.5]

shadow_archmagi
2009-03-08, 03:01 PM
So, I got the spell compendium and I was looking through it trying to find decent sorcerer spells, but I found myself overwhelmed by the sheer number of them.

So, in looking around, a lot of the "what are the best spells" type threads tend to include a "try to keep it to the SRD" clause.

ITT: Any spell from any splatbook of third edition. Just make sure to mention level, splatbook, class, etc.

Keld Denar
2009-03-08, 03:09 PM
My favorite all time spell?

Whirling Blade

Seriously, the amount of fun you can have with this spell is staggering. Think about all of the awesome "melee only" tricks. Now imagine doing them at range...to everyone in a line. Apply metamagic for extra grins. Most powerful? No. But I love it anyway.

Honorable Mention goes to:
Benign Transposition
Blood Wind
Solid Fog
Freezing Fog
Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Clumsiness
Ray of Dizziness
Melf's Unicorn Arrows
Viscid Glob
Radiant Assault (best Evocation...EVAR)
Evard's Black Tentacles
Glitterdust
Greater Mirror Image
Moonbow

Eldariel
2009-03-08, 03:09 PM
Maw of Chaos! Not for the power, the uncapped damage, the lack of damage save or any such, but simply for the awesome image of crapping someone in pure chaos wrecking his body apart and simply knocking him out if he lacks iron will (that is, fails the Will-save).

Eloel
2009-03-08, 03:15 PM
If Powers (psionic ones) count, I can't describe my love with Telekinetic Maneuver

I pin you at 200ft with full-bab and my primary-caster stat as the grappling bonus, and YOU can't do anything about it.

martyboy74
2009-03-08, 03:32 PM
Veil of Undeath, because it outright states that it grants immunity to death. Can't beat that, especially when it's persisted.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-08, 03:37 PM
I like Heal, Mass Heal and Regenerate best for ovious reasons. :smalltongue: Glitterdust and Teleport are quite good as well.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-08, 03:57 PM
Vampiric Touch. It's the perfect sneak attack spell: you get temporary HP equal to all the damage you deal, which means a squishy Rogue can have fun getting up close and flanky in melee.

horngeek
2009-03-08, 04:12 PM
Having looked at the BOED, sanctify the wicked.

There are no EXP penalties- the only component is a gem
you redeem a bad guy. As long as they are in the gem for a year, they are no longer evil
it works for EVERYONE

So basically, instead of killing somone, you can make them your ally.

Undead Prince
2009-03-08, 04:14 PM

you redeem a bad guy. As long as they are in the gem for a year, they are no longer evil
it works for EVERYONE

You can do much better by killing him and then reanimating as Ju-Ju Zombie. Or Dominate Person (Necrotic Tumor, True Domination, Monstrous Thrall...). It's better, because 1) he becomes your loyal minion and not "ally", 2) avoid the above-mentioned level loss, 3) don't need to perform nasty goodness to do it.

Undead Prince
2009-03-08, 04:14 PM
1. Ghoul Glyph (Spell Comp.)

Not only does it paralyze with no save at level 2, but it can be reach/splitted into a great offensive weapon - paralysis on 2 targets with no save, and no ranged attack roll to speak of (you're attacking not the creatures themselves, but nearby objects).

2. Consumptive Field. Makes everything so much better.

3. Blasphemy. With Consumptive Field active, kills everything non-evil around with no save.

4. Create Undead [Ju-Ju Zombie]. Nothing better than a 20th level Wizard as your loyal undead minion.

5. Dominate Person. Great for making others do things for you. Like crafting, or casting spells.

What can I say, I'm a fan of Necromancy + Enchantment.

mostlyharmful
2009-03-08, 04:19 PM

it works for EVERYONE

Have anouther Read. That spell automatically sucks out one level. from your 17+ level character, it's not XP it's worse.

Oh, and Prestidigitation:smallbiggrin:

Eeezee
2009-03-09, 04:57 AM
Phantom Steed is one of my favorites, but only at higher levels. It becomes awesome at 12th level when you can start air walking at 240 feet per round. It becomes even better at 14th level when it starts flying. Just have feather fall ready in some form in case it gets destroyed

Wall of Stone also, since it has so many uses other than just being a wall. Unlike Wall of Force, you can mold this into whatever shape you want and it's permanent (but can be more easily destroyed)!

And Color Spray, because shooting a disco rainbow at your enemies is awesome. It loses effectiveness pretty fast, but at early levels it's pure win. It becomes a little more useful when you get Fly, since being at close range no longer means being hit over the head, but the low HD values are still there.

And naturally Freezing Fog, being a large Grease + Fog Cloud + basic (low) damage spell. Even if they make their Reflex save, they're still stuck in a Fog Cloud and taking some minor damage in the process, AND must still make the Balance check in order to move, but can only move 5 feet per round. This is all sorts of epic. Cast it on a BBEG surrounded by a bunch of minions.

Ray of Clumsiness, no save ray that does DEX damage. Completely destroy the BBEG's Dex and watch him become infinitely easy to hit, either by your friends or by more of your rays.

Slow, hit someone with this and they're screwed (it targets 1 creature/level, great for hitting tight groups of big dumb fighters). Melee opponents suddenly can never hit you. Unfortunately, it's a Will save, so it's not so effective against casters. Look into Ray of Dizziness if you'd rather turn it into a touch attack; it's the same level, doesn't carry a save, but it also doesn't inflict the various -1 penalties, doesn't cut their speed in half and only hits one target. Probably not a fair trade

Undead Prince
2009-03-09, 05:09 AM
Ray of Clumsiness, no save ray that does DEX damage. Completely destroy the BBEG's Dex and watch him become infinitely easy to hit, either by your friends or by more of your rays.

The subject takes a penalty to Dexterity equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum penalty 1d6+5, minimum Dexterity 1).

Stacking Effects: Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves.

Frostburn's Shivering Touch combined with Reach and Split Ray is infinitely more useful, as it does 2x3d6 damage to DEX, the damage stacks and can lower enemy DEX to 0, paralyzing him.

shadow_archmagi
2009-03-09, 05:35 AM
1. Ghoul Glyph (Spell Comp.)

Not only does it paralyze with no save at level 2, but it can be reach/splitted into a great offensive weapon - paralysis on 2 targets with no save, and no ranged attack roll to speak of (you're attacking not the creatures themselves, but nearby objects).

You never noticed the 1 minute casting time, did you?

Dhavaer
2009-03-09, 06:05 AM
Ruin Delver's Fortune
Enervation
That snake missiles spell Wu Jen get, I can't remember the name

Edit: Crap, how could I forget the mighty Prestidigitation?

Heliomance
2009-03-09, 06:23 AM
Giant Size. +32 to strength +16 to con and +20 to natural armour that stacks with everything? Nice. Also 30 ft reach. Yes, the size issues might be a problem in some situations but if you have the space it's sweet.

Also, this might get you hit by a flying DMG, but by RAW if you then cast a polymorph spell that explicitly makes you medium size (Holy Transformation is one, I'm sure there are others), you lose the disadvantages of being Colossal but keep the stat adjustments.

magic9mushroom
2009-03-09, 06:28 AM
Improved Empowered Improved Raysplit Improved Maximised Improved Repeated Instant Twinned Enervation with Arcane Thesis, preceded by Improved Quickened True Strike.

32 + 8x0.5x1d4 negative levels. 6th level and 4th level slot. No save.

Ow.

Also, Transport Epic Seed. Time travel FTW.

Undead Prince
2009-03-09, 06:41 AM
You never noticed the 1 minute casting time, did you?

It's funny, because I advocated this spell to you in the neighbouring thread, and carefully explained how this particular hurdle is easily overcome by Rapid Spell + Slaymate.

Skaven
2009-03-09, 06:45 AM
Lets see.. for my sorcerer I found the following spells awesome:

Disintigrate.
Haste
Slow
Invisibility: Greater

Also noteworthy is

Solid Fog + Acid Fog + Cloudkill combo. Mix it in with a forcecage for that extra 'definately dead' reassurance.

Heliomance
2009-03-09, 06:48 AM
Lets see.. for my sorcerer I found the following spells awesome:

Disintigrate.
Haste
Slow
Invisibility: Greater

Also noteworthy is

Solid Fog + Acid Fog + Cloudkill combo. Mix it in with a forcecage for that extra 'definately dead' reassurance.

No, to get that assurance, you need to mix in Dimensional Lock as well.

Undead Prince
2009-03-09, 07:01 AM
Improved Empowered Improved Raysplit Improved Maximised Improved Repeated Instant Twinned Enervation with Arcane Thesis, preceded by Improved Quickened True Strike.

1. It's an Epic level Spell... that gets blocked by immunity to level drain. Which you can achieve through a number of low-level items/spells. Hmm.

2. Improved Metamagic requires 30 ranks in Spellcraft, and you've taken it... four times. So you must be like level 36 by now. And still use Enervation. Which allows SR. Hmm.

6th level slot

Generally speaking, despite all your Improved Metamagic feats and Arcane Thesis, you still cast your 4th level Enervation from an 18th level spell slot. Being an Incantatrix and having a Slaymate may cut that down to 12; having an Incantatrix Twin it for you cuts it to 9. But 6? Please elaborate.

And again, a 35+ level wizard casting Enervation? No, seriously?

Also, Transport Epic Seed. Time travel FTW.

Can't travel backward in time. Check the seed description. It's actually of very limited use.

goram.browncoat
2009-03-09, 07:25 AM
Veil of Undeath, because it outright states that it grants immunity to death. Can't beat that, especially when it's persisted.

Reading the list of immunities that this spell grants out loud at the gaming table for the first time is one of my most cherished dnd moments. I think i stopped for breath twice.

Other spells I love(Some for power, others for awesome, a rare few for both):
Wraithstrike: its just too easy to abuse and the imagery of stabbing through armor in a ghostly way is pretty neat too
Phantom steed: often underrated as a spell
Celerity: The possibilities are virtually endless
Prestidigitation: Who doesnt love this spell?
Phantasmal Killer/Weird: It sucks (2 saves and SR, really?) but the imagery of killing somebody with their own fear is just too awesome.
Alter Self: Polymorph's little brother, often forgotten after a certain level but a very versatile spell nonetheless (one buff that can relatively cheaply (only lvl 2) give armor, natural attacks or various movement modes depending on the shape you choose)
Polymorph: I'm sure I dont need to explain why polymorph is over-the-top good.
Shapechange: Its sort of like polymorph .. but turned up to eleven.

(Psi)Claws of the beast: *SNIKT*

Optimystik
2009-03-09, 07:28 AM
Plane Shift has always been my favorite. One spell that allows you to heal, escape, kill your enemies, save your allies, or just plain explore the cosmos.

Gate is second (although the shenanigans sour it somewhat); yelling "Help!" through a big hole in the sky just strikes me as a very cleric-y thing to do :smallsmile:

magic9mushroom
2009-03-09, 07:38 AM
1. It's an Epic level Spell... that gets blocked by immunity to level drain. Which you can achieve through a number of low-level items/spells. Hmm.

Was referring to Improved Metamagic from Incantatrix.

Isn't epic, see below.

2. Improved Metamagic requires 30 ranks in Spellcraft, and you've taken it... four times. So you must be like level 36 by now. And still use Enervation. Which allows SR. Hmm.

Haven't taken it four times. Have taken it once through the Incantatrix ability. Can be done at level 15.

Generally speaking, despite all your Improved Metamagic feats and Arcane Thesis, you still cast your 4th level Enervation from an 18th level spell slot. Being an Incantatrix and having a Slaymate may cut that down to 12; having an Incantatrix Twin it for you cuts it to 9. But 6? Please elaborate.

4 (Enervation) +0 (Empower) +0 (Split Ray) +1 (Maximise) +1 (Repeated) +0 (Instant Twin) = 6 by my maths. Not epic.

And again, a 35+ level wizard casting Enervation? No, seriously?

15th level.

Wizard 5/Incantatrix (PGtF) 10
1st level: Free
Flaw: Free
Flaw: Free
3rd level: Empower Spell
5th level (Wizard): Split Ray
6th level: Free
6th level (Incantatrix): Maximise Spell
9th level: Arcane Thesis (Enervation)
9th level (Incantatrix): Repeat Spell
12th level: Spell Mastery
12th level (Incantatrix): Twin Spell
15th level: Signature Spell (Enervation)
15th level (Incantatrix): Quicken Spell

That not only gives me that entire combo, but gives me the ability to do it even if I misprepared. And I still have feats left over.

Can't travel backward in time. Check the seed description. It's actually of very limited use.

Can travel backward in time. Check Time Duplicate description. It's of a hell of a lot of use.

Undead Prince
2009-03-09, 08:02 AM
Was referring to Improved Metamagic from Incantatrix.

All right then, I assumed the Incantatrix ability was errataed so that only 1 spell level is removed no matter how many metamagics you apply.

4 (Enervation) +0 (Empower) +0 (Split Ray) +1 (Maximise) +1 (Repeated) +0 (Instant Twin) = 6 by my maths. Not epic.

Yep, I guess you're right. I would have sworn that both Incantatrix and Arcane Thesis were nerfed, but apparently this isn't the case (just re-read the errata to PGtF).

Can travel backward in time. Check Time Duplicate description. It's of a hell of a lot of use.

Time Duplicate operates with the future, not the past (snatches yourself from 1 round in the future). It deals with future possibilities, not the defined past ("The character’s future self is technically only a possible future self (the time stream is a maelstrom of multiple probabilities), but snatching that future self from 1 round in the future collapses probability, and the possible future becomes the definite future.")

Also, it says: "Using this spell to snatch a single future self stretches time and probability to its limit; more powerful versions of time duplicate are not possible. A character cannot bring more than a single future version of him or her self back at one time, nor can a character snatch a version of him or her from farther in the future."

The uses of the Transport Seed, as stated in the Seed description, do not allow backward time travel - only slowing and quickening normal time.

I.e. by RAW, you can't use "Transport Seed" to operate with the past, which is defined, and not a "multitude of probabilities".

But, sure, you can houserule such a possibility. However, you'd still be able only to return 1 round into the past. Which would be the exact equivalent of the Time Duplicate Spell (i.e. having help from a future you for 1 round). You'd have to waste an Epic spell to do it. Assuming you're even alive to cast it.

So, surely with some houseruling it can become good. Generally though, I'd prefer to stick with my divinations and killers, so that I don't have to go back 1 round.

magic9mushroom
2009-03-09, 08:28 AM
Time Duplicate operates with the future, not the past (snatches yourself from 1 round in the future). It deals with future possibilities, not the defined past ("The character’s future self is technically only a possible future self (the time stream is a maelstrom of multiple probabilities), but snatching that future self from 1 round in the future collapses probability, and the possible future becomes the definite future.")

Also, it says: "Using this spell to snatch a single future self stretches time and probability to its limit; more powerful versions of time duplicate are not possible. A character cannot bring more than a single future version of him or her self back at one time, nor can a character snatch a version of him or her from farther in the future."

The uses of the Transport Seed, as stated in the Seed description, do not allow backward time travel - only slowing and quickening normal time.

I.e. by RAW, you can't use "Transport Seed" to operate with the past, which is defined, and not a "multitude of probabilities".

But, sure, you can houserule such a possibility. However, you'd still be able only to return 1 round into the past. Which would be the exact equivalent of the Time Duplicate Spell (i.e. having help from a future you for 1 round). You'd have to waste an Epic spell to do it. Assuming you're even alive to cast it.

So, surely with some houseruling it can become good. Generally though, I'd prefer to stick with my divinations and killers, so that I don't have to go back 1 round.

Except...

It says that the 1 round limit is due to it stretching time and probability to their limits. Presumably only stretching time would have an equal or greater leeway. Not lesser.

And even if you can only do one round, you can still go back an unlimited amount of time via having 2 versions, and Genesis cheese.

The nice thing about this is that it *should* nullify foresight if used correctly.

Leon
2009-03-09, 09:16 AM
Bufos Hex (Know to everyone else as Baleful Polymorph)

Arcane Fusion

Earth Wave (From the IKCG, Blackclad spell) - 40ft radius Blast that knocks back and deals damage or just bull rushes if you pass the save

Chain Lightning

Touch of Idiocy

Extract Water Elemental

Bones of the the Earth (PHB2)

Summon Elemental Monolith

Storm Mote

Edit: Oh Sorcerer Spells... Well they still stand as some of my fav's

jcsw
2009-03-09, 09:27 AM
Prismatic Wall - 7 Layers of Win!
Wall of Water (Sandstorm) - Seriously, team up with another caster to get a wall of ice you can trap people in.
Fugue - Bard spell, but pretty awesome

Elminster1
2009-03-09, 05:29 PM
Polymorph- Funny, but I rarely use it, but I love transformative magic :smalltongue:I mean, come on, you turn into mystical creatures. Turning into a beautiful Celestial being, or a dragon? Who wouldnt want to do that?

Grommen
2009-03-09, 05:44 PM
Fireball - Nothing says "Time to die" like tossing d6's at someone. Hopefully maximized, empowered and anything else your demented mind can conjure up. Ya sure it's lost a lot of kick sense they capped it back in 2nd ed, but it's the principle of it all. Gaa the old days of 1st ed (30d6 fireballs were just something to behold, your borrowing your buddies dice and raiding monopoly boxes to find that many 6's. All you can fit in your hands to roll too....priceless, simply priceless).

Close 2nd for me is DOOM - Again not all that awe inspiring but your foe sure knows he is about to receive a beat down when the lead cleric points at him and utters "YOUR DOOMED you mutter fooo.."

Kinda fond of Prismatic Spray too. I mean you just never know what is gonna happen and it gives a new meaning to the phrase "All colors of _____".

only1doug
2009-03-09, 06:03 PM
I like Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the dragon) L3 spell that increases the size category of bludgeoning weapons. Great for Gish characters.

Optimator
2009-03-09, 11:32 PM
Here are some (a bunch) of my Favorites, either for power of flavor/fun factor (in no particular order):

Player's Handbook:
Freedom of Movement

Frostburn:
Frostfell
Snowsong
Fimbulwinter

Stormwrack:
Jig of the Waves
Siren's Call
Rapture of the Deep

Races of Destiny:
Choose Destiny

Complete Arcane:
Giant Size

Complete Mage:
Arcane Fusion
Heart of Water

Spell Compendium:
Freezing Fog
Ray of Stupidity
Ray of Dizzyness
Limited Wish
Improvisation
Tsunami
Shadow Landscape
Moonbolt
Drown
Ray Deflection
Phantom Stag
Whirlwind, Greater
Holy Star (The PGtF one, but the SpC version is still above-average in my opinion)
Revivify
Blink, Greater
Ruin Delver's Fortune
Unluck
Kelpstrand
Bite of the Werebear
Owl's Insight
Hunter's Mercy
Benign Transposition
Anticipate Teleportation
Sonorous Hum
Wall of Dispel Magic
Solipsism
Wrathful Castigation
Effulgent Epuration

Player's Handbook II:
Mirror Image, Greater
Detonate
Alter Fortune

Races of the Dragon
Wings of Cover

BobVosh
2009-03-10, 06:23 AM
How the hell hasn't Mindrape been mentioned yet? Most awesome fun spell ever. Oh, Book of Vile Darkness.

kalt
2009-03-10, 08:18 AM
I'm a huge fan of the "Shivering Touch" spell line out of Frostburn. It is an amazing incapacitator of anything with even a semi-low dex score.

FinalJustice
2009-03-10, 08:40 AM
Fun Spells:

Resilient Sphere (As a spellcaster, I never ever leave home without it): Can be defensive (around you or allies), utility (it's immobile, so you can block stuff with it) and save or suck (imprisions people on a failed reflex).

Thunderlance (SpC): 20ft Lightsaber that attacks with your primary casting attribute. Too cool. Could last longer though.

Celerity (PHB II): It's just that fun to say STOP! and proceed with shenanigans.

Fireball: No matter how bad and unoptimal it is. Setting stuff on fire is important...

Scorching Ray: ...important enough to be done properly.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow (CMage?): Yes! Throw unicorns at people for massive damage! And bull rush!

Dephenestrating Spere: No comments.

Serious Business:

Orb of Force (SpC): Yes, it will deal damage. No, I don't care about your ridiculous Immunity to Magic.

Wings of Flurry (RoD): Makes blaster sorcerers happy. Allows non-blasters to blast a little. Dazes. No cap damage.

Wings of Cover (RoD): Immediately say No! to an attack.

Ruin Delver's Fortune: Immediately say 'Yes, I make the damn save'.

Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic?): Quicken, just better. Even 9th level spells. Couple with a low adjust metamagic to perfection.

Arcane Fusion Line (PHBII?): Couple it with Arcane Spellsurge and Vegeta-Barrage Mode is on.

Mirror Image: Best defensive illusion ever.

Ray of Dizziness: No save slow. Where is your full round now, mr Dragon?

Telonius
2009-03-10, 01:22 PM
Defenestrating Sphere. Not particularly overpowered, but seriously. A spell whose sole purpose is to throw people out of windows? Pure awesome. :smallamused: