PDA

View Full Version : Into the Heart - IC

Pages : [1] 2

Simba
2009-03-09, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the IC thread of 'Into the Heart'!

You all have travelled to Riversend in order to represent your various nations at a conference there.

On the first evening a celebration is held at the King's Palace. You - together with the other representatives - are admitted to the King's ballroom as you are invited. You can either leave your weapons with the guards at the cloakroom or submit to having them peace-bonded.

The ballroom is a great affair, tastefully designed and filled with about 200 people of various races. You can see Humans, Young Ones, Dwarves, Hobgoblins and Halflings, some Orcs and even a Minotaur.

Food and drink are offered to everyone and after a few minutes, King Hornal is announced. He is a huge man, almost 7 feet tall, with broad shoulders and shoulderlength brown hair shot with some grey. He wears a breastplate and a longsword, both beautifully crafted.

As the noise in the room subsides, he looks over the room and says:

"Dear visitors, honored guests from near and far, welcome to Riversend. I hope you all had a smooth journey! I thank you for coming and hope that the coming days will prove fruitful and inspiring to each of you!"

He is a great speaker and well prepared, but as he talks on, a servant arives at each of you, asking you to follow him or her out of the ballroom. "The Lady has asked to see you!" they say, obviously expecting you to follow. Do you?

Ezeze
2009-03-09, 07:14 AM
Among the guests is a solemn woman in simple but well kept clothing. She surrenders her spear and shield too readily for a warrior, but wears a leather jerkin unfitting of a wizard and displays no god's sign. wrapped around her shoulders is what at first seems to be an exotic fur, nearly eight feet long and of a tan color, until it begins to move about and taste the air with its tongue. Although the woman had arrived with an elf, the two had separated quickly and avoided each other.

Verbena listened to the servant without taking her eyes from the King. For a moment she is unresponsive, attending to Hornal's words, then she turns and follows the servant out of the room unobtrusively.

Gmonkey
2009-03-09, 08:36 AM
Marr enters the ballroom in full dress uniform, black and red leather pads over chainmail polished to a high shine. His heavy cape left at the entrance, and his wellcrafted sword peacebonded to his hip.

His back military straight and his left hand rests on the pommel of his sword, his only sign of nervousness at being out of his element in this mixed company. As he listens to the kings speech he smiles slightly at a king dressed correctly, without the foppery and extravagence that he'd heard many rulers favoured.

Noticing the lady he'd travelled with he gave her an informal salute, but was then distracted by the arrival of a servant who wished his attention and when he looked back she had gone. A mental shrug and he turns to follow the servant, hoping someone would finally tell him what was going on.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-09, 09:31 AM
Drenmar entered the ball with clearly new clothes that, while expensive, neither fit his Young One frame quite right, nor was exactly the current style. Lacking either outdoor wear or weapon to check, he breezes past the coat check area.

Upon entering, he chatters away to people he has already met at points in the past, stopping, like everyone else when King Hornal speaks. As the young servant comments to him about the Lady, he can but smile. He opens his mouth to speak, but realizing that the King is still talking, he quickly closes it, nods, and follows quite willingly.

AmberVael
2009-03-09, 10:38 AM
Among the many people who crowd the ballroom, there are no doubt a number who stand out- and one of these people is Audr. Not only is she one of a mere three representatives from the dwarves, but her clothing is quite unsuited to the situation; indeed, she would be more at home in the corner of an inn, giving out cryptic advice to passerby. She wears a long black cloak which hides her form, and in doing so conceals remarkably well that she is actually a dwarf.

It's strange really- for a dwarf she is unusually tall, and what is more, she is remarkably slender. At a glance, one would be hard pressed to tell if she was a dwarf or just a short human. Her facial structure betrays her, however- and she wears no hood to conceal that.

She casts dark, flinty eyes up at the human king, watching him with a doomsayer's uncaring gaze until whatever she is pondering is interrupted by the servant- at which point she gives a tiny, almost unnoticeable start, turning towards the servant a bit too quickly.

For a moment she falters, but then she regains her dignity and aloofness, frowning up at the servant as the message and invitation is made to her.

"I know of no 'Lady' and nor was I invited here for her sake. The King has requested my presence, and I see little reason to deny him that for the sake of someone unknown.
"Perhaps you could give me another more detailed and reasonable request?"

King Tius
2009-03-09, 07:42 PM
Nadina enters the hall to the right of the Pirate Queen, a step behind her as is befitting a trusted subordinate. Representing her God and her Queen, she has opted to come to this ceremony in her full armor. An expertly crafted breastplate, form fitting and embossed with gold, adorns her body, leaving her arms exposed save for her matching gold bracers and the one shoulder piece on her shield side. She wears a leather skirt interwoven with steel strips and further embroidered with gold. A red cape clasped at her neck and her dark leather boots complement the trifold hat upon her head, giving her the mixed appearance of an Amazon warrior and a Pirate. Hanging from her neck and emblazoned on her cloak and gold shield is the symbol of her deity. She checks her shortspear and quiver of javelins at the door along with her shield.

When approached by the servant she stands up, tall and proud, displaying the scars on her arms and face for all to see clearly now that her hat and cloak are gone. She bows to her Queen, seated near her, and follows the servant wordlessly.

Simba
2009-03-10, 01:50 AM
"I know of no 'Lady' and nor was I invited here for her sake. The King has requested my presence, and I see little reason to deny him that for the sake of someone unknown.
"Perhaps you could give me another more detailed and reasonable request?"

The servant looks at you, then adds: "The Lady is the King's mother. She has asked me to find you and bring you to her. She has something of importance to share with you, I guess. She rarely invites strangers into her presence!" The servant realizes that he might have said too much and says: "My apologies. Shall I tell her you will not come?"

AmberVael
2009-03-10, 10:56 AM
Audr glances up at the King as he continues his speech, and guesses that if he does say anything of importance, one of the other two dwarven ambassadors will catch it, and will be able to relay it to her. Assuming, of course, that they weren't invited somewhere else as well. With that thought, a great number of suspicions cloud Audr's mind about what this could be a set up for...
She brushes them away, thinking of her mentor as she answers.

"...I suppose I will oblige her request. Lead the way."

Simba
2009-03-10, 12:50 PM
"...I suppose I will oblige her request. Lead the way."
"Thank you! If you would please follow me..."

As with all the others who agreed to go with their respective guides, you follow the servant out of a side door.

Simba
2009-03-10, 01:02 PM
All of you are led down a corridor and into a waiting room, where you find yourself together. Only one of the servants has entered the room with you and is standing in front of another door, waiting for the last of you to arive. She is an older woman, with grey hair and wrinkled skin. The room is simply furnished and dominated by the color white.

"The Lady has invited all of you to spend some time with her while the others listen to speeches in the grand ballroom. I hope you do not mind the invitation, it was her will that you were invited to Riversend in the first place. She has a task for you that surpasses all that is happening at this conference!"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-10, 01:34 PM
Drenmar's eyes light up with curiosity. "I would say it is an honor to serve, but I believe I will retain that statement until I hear what the Lady has planned." Turning to the others, he bows his head. Drenmar Amyril, Order of the Arcane Fist, hailing from here in Riversend."

Gmonkey
2009-03-10, 02:25 PM
Bowing low, Marr rises to attention. "Ma'am.", a salute, "Captain Marr Gatha, first graduate of the Academy. I have been given orders to assist in this matter and represent the interests of the Kingdom of Garach." Moving now to stand at ease, Marr waits for this to play out

AmberVael
2009-03-10, 11:25 PM
Audr sees no reason to speak, and so she does not, maintaining a silence that suggests that she sees no point in this formality, and is waiting for them to "get on with it" so to speak. Besides, if the lady had invited her specifically, it's not like she'd need to give her name anyways- she'd know it already.
The dwarf crosses her arms and waits.

King Tius
2009-03-11, 12:29 AM
Nadina Stormgale

"If the Lady has such a great task, why are our leaders not also in this meeting? Must it be held in confidence or have they already been informed?" Nadina half chuckles, half guffaws. "You don't expect me to keep any of this from my Queen, do you?"

Simba
2009-03-11, 02:25 AM
Now that you can take a closer look at the room you see that it is not only kept in white but also has some interesting motivs on the walls. As almost all of you have some religious background you recognize the symbols as different representations of Arina, the Mother of Gods. Maybe this room is an antechamber to a temple of that goddess?

OOC:

I will wait for the other 2 players to post before I continue, Gimli has not posted at all yet. I sent him a message yesterday, I hope he can make it! I would hate to replce the first player before the game really begins...

Ezeze
2009-03-11, 09:21 AM
She turns to Nadina "I am sure we will find out soon enough." Then, addressing Drenmar and Marr, "You may call me Verbena." She refocuses her attention to the door behind the servant, assuming that the Lady will enter from there.

Simba
2009-03-12, 05:37 AM
The elderly servant answers Nadina's question: "Your leaders have all been informed that a special task is waiting for you. They have accepted it so it is up to you to decide wether you want to do the Lady's bidding or decline. I only know so much: The task will be difficult and dangerous. You will have to work together to win through, but it is of utmost importance to all of us or the Lady would not have chosen you."

Whenever she uses the word 'Lady' it is obvious that it has special meaning to her.

Marr & Audr:

You realize that the term 'The Lady' is one of the names of Arina, the Mother of Gods, used by worshippers. So the servant could really be talking about the King's mother or even her Goddess.

All:

I have still not heard from Gimli, he seems to be busy. Please let me know (in PMs) wether I should
- wait for him until Monday, pausing the game for his sake
- replace him with one of the other candidates (Denar Kell or Scylfing)

AmberVael
2009-03-12, 10:08 AM
"Your words leave much unsaid and undefined, unnamed servant of the Lady. Are we to make this decision on the judgment of our faith?"

Audr seems little deterred by the prospect of making a decision when she is so completely blinded as to what she is choosing, so her words are not a rebuke- merely a question.

Simba
2009-03-12, 10:22 AM
"My name is Myria" she says "and I do not know more than I have already said. Once the Lady is here your questions will be answered."

Ezeze
2009-03-12, 09:19 PM
"Very well, Myria. When can we expect her?"

Simba
2009-03-13, 02:06 AM
"As soon as the last one of your group is here. He should be on his way and arrive presently." she says. "He was delayed for a few minutes."

As I have not heard from Gimli yet, we will get a Goliath Fighter by Keld Denar instead. The character should be up sometime today so I hope the break will not take too long!

Simba
2009-03-15, 06:15 AM
Sorry for the delay, I will get our new northern friend on board by tuesday morning and we will continue then!

Keld Denar
2009-03-16, 02:02 PM
The door behind you opens and the servant ushers in a new arival. Taller than any man, a hulking figure with grey mottled skin dressed in what appear to be wolf furs over a shirt of chain. Strapped over his back is the largest sword you've ever seen, wraught from a blackish metal with the tip barly inches from dragging on the floor. His shaved head reveals the mottled patern on his scalp, similar to that of a snake. His raptor eyes survey everyone in the room briefly, before fixing on the lady leading this informal meeting. I am Gokath Amok'Galkaunan, son of Keloth Boartracker, of the people of the north. What is the meaning of this meeting? The people of the north will not be without representation! His words trail off to a growl, letting all know that he will not be taken for a fool, regardless of the reputation of his northern brethren.

Simba
2009-03-17, 01:55 AM
The elderly servant at the front of the room smiles at the new arrival. "You do not need to fear that the North is not represented. Now that we are complete, I will let the Lady..."

The door behind her opens and another woman enters the room. As the servant steps aside, breaking her sentence off, you see that the new arrival is a woman of greatly advanced age. Her hair is long and white, bound into a single braid. Her skin is almost translucent and she wears a simple, white robe and a simple pendant on a chain of silver. As her gaze sweeps over you, she smiles and her eyes light up. "Welcome to the Lady's Hall! I am Amelia, High Priestess of The Lady. It is good to finally see you all together. Please take a seat for I have much to tell you and a great boon to ask."

She walks over to some chairs aranged around a small table and -with obvious effort - sits down. "Please join me!"

Sorry for the delay, now that we are complete I hope it will go more smoothly!

Keld Denar
2009-03-17, 02:57 AM
Gokath gingerly takes a seat, afraid that his size will crush the chair made for someone of slighter stature.

What is it you wish to discuss?

Gmonkey
2009-03-17, 05:22 AM
Marr clasps his fist to his chest before taking a seat by the northener."Ma'am, please tell us what boon you wish of us"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-17, 07:41 AM
Without hesitation, Drenmar moves over to help the aged high priest. Not having gotten there quite in time, he sits beside her, ready to help if it's needed. Since the others have already inquired, he doesn't bother to speak, just waits for her to speak.

King Tius
2009-03-17, 09:51 AM
Nadina takes a seat with a mix of annoyance and interest on her face. She stares hard at the withered husk of a priestess and waits respectfully for her to complain

AmberVael
2009-03-17, 10:53 AM
Audr moves over to the table and takes a seat, frowning slightly to herself as she notes her extreme lack of height compared to the others. She was used to being inches above her brethren... to have to look up to everyone now was irritating.

Ezeze
2009-03-17, 11:49 AM
Verbena lounges comfortably in the chair, hands on the arm rests and legs crossed. Her snake slithers downwards, and through it is far too large to sit in her lap, rests the top of its body there and raises its head as if it was paying attention.

Simba
2009-03-19, 04:39 AM
Amelia looks at each of you in turn and you feel as if she could look into your soul. Then she speaks up:
"When the Old Ones first invaded our nations they had power previously unheard of. I was still very young then, but I remember the feeling whenever they tapped into it, a throbbing in the earth, a pulse through stone and ore. About two years ago I felt it again. At first I told myself it was nothing, just a memory. But when I went up to the wall to look out over the Fallen Lands, I felt it again, a very faint rythm, slow and subdued, but persistent. I told the King about my discovery. He is of my blood so he went to see and feel for himself. He - being a warrior and separate from the weave and the godly powers - did not feel it, but some - very few, actually - did. Your King" she looks at Audr , "did and he sent a runner to me and King Hornal. We - the two kings and I - decided to call a conference and talk to all leaders about it. They are concerned, as am I."
Her gaze sweeps over you once more, showing you that there is no lie in her, that she is telling the truth.

"While the leaders talk, we need to start acting. Most of them nominated someone from their region to help, only you", she looks at Verbena "I had to nominate myself. For some reason your council did not want you to represent them in this. Your task is to go and see what can be found out. I ask you to enter the Fallen Lands and explore. Look for the center of their power. When you find it you are to detroy it if you can. It is evil, unnatural and should not even exist. I know the task is dangerous, we have no idea what is happening in there. Something blocks my scrying and the visions of all the others who tried over the centuries were turned back, sometimes painfully so."

Once more she looks at each of you before she continues: "Before I go on I have to ask: Do you want to do this? Do you have the courage and will to face the unknown? There is no shame in it if you turn around and leave! I will not force you and neither will your respective leaders. Please do not hesitate to ask questions, either. I will answer them to the best of my abilities."

Ezeze
2009-03-19, 07:29 AM
The Council did not want her to - that was reason enough for Verbena to do just about anything. She speaks softly "if it is your bidding, my lady, I will accompany the others on this quest."

Gmonkey
2009-03-19, 10:53 AM
Resting his hand on the pommel of his sword, Marr's voice sings out strongly. "My lady, by the grace of Onderon and the wisdom of his Royal Majesty King Garach, you have my sword, I will ride with this party."

A slight frown as he struggles to remember the historical classes from the Academy, a fight against an old one, or something with their power, never occured to those preparing the syllabus of training when there were much more valid threats, and though they often appeared in the chronicles of history and participated in many battles, few were recorded in detail, and even less authentic enough to base a campaign off.

His face relaxes as he finds peace, 5 years of training had prepared him for most any threat, and by the grace of Onderon he would see this through, such an evil can not be allowed to exist.

AmberVael
2009-03-19, 10:54 AM
"The unknown is always around us- a cautious man creates as stable a life as he can amidst it- while those who wish to know more reach out towards it."
Audr smiles a little- but not in a kindly way. It is more shrewd, and one can tell that her interest has finally been won.
"I fancy myself to be more of the latter. I will not deny this request of me."

Her attitude is very strange and her speech is crafted with a mystic's word choice and phraseology. It seems rather out of place- and while to some it may sound deep and wise, others might feel it unnecessary and tiresome.

King Tius
2009-03-19, 01:07 PM
Nadina shakes her head with a chuckling sigh. She glances disbelievingly at Audr and Marr before running a hand over her face. Clearly she finds these two to be quite amusing, though perhaps it is well veiled annoyance? The Stormgale is sometimes as difficult to read as the clouds.

"Alright, I'll go on your quest. Quite an interesting group that's been put together. I can see why my Queen would want me here."

She gives everyone a look-over once more before leaning backwards and crossing her arms, looking at Amelia.

"What exactly are we up against out there? What can you tell us about the state of things or any reports that have come in from the past few years. Will we be given funding and provisions?"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-19, 05:23 PM
Two trains of thought steam through Drenmar's head, though he wouldn't word it that way. The first is the question of just who would have nominated him for this trip, more out of curiosity than anything else. Certainly he is known in many circles, but he would not have thought anyone high enough up to have selected him for this would have known his name.

The second is the realization that even if he could crafted an opportunity for himself, it couldn't be better than this one. Proving himself in this circumstance would attract followers, curry favour with nobles of many kingdoms... Success guaranteed his future. And failure? Well, that really wasn't much of an issue, since it seemed unlikely that any failure would be survivable.

But none of either train shows much on his face. He smiles slightly, then bows his head to Amelia. "It will indeed be an honour to serve, and I hope that we will prove worthy of the trust that has been placed in us this day."

Keld Denar
2009-03-20, 11:35 AM
Gorkath flexes the fingers on his right hand, the leathers creaking as he does so. His fingers close into a fist which he snaps across his heart. For the glory of the North, I will look into this for you. What exactly are we looking for?

Simba
2009-03-23, 02:16 AM
Amelia smiles and says: "I thank you all for your readiness to help, for your courage and loyalty!"

"We don't know anything about the fallen lands, really. We sent some expeditions out early after the war, to scout and look for the enemy, but they never returned. But now the danger is imminent and something needs to be done. As for ressources: Each of you gets his or her choice from the royal armoury, within limits, of course. And I have something special for you. The Lady has charged me with the creation of these rings" she puts 6 rings on the table "They will protect you from some of the dangers of the fallen lands. I hope that will be enough!"

She turns to Gorkath: "I hope you manage to find the source of the power that I can feel pulsing through the earth. I am sure some of you will be able to feel it, too. It is the same power the Old Ones used to win their wars all those years ago. It is not of this world and it is wholely evil, bent on destruction and conquest. If you manage to destroy the source of that power we will no longer have to fear it's masters."

OOC:
You can choose one or more items worth no more than 10.000 gp total or you can take the money.

Ezeze
2009-03-23, 05:32 PM
Verbena inclines her head, but only slightly "You are most generous, my lady." She does not reach for the ring, however. At least, not at first.

OOC
Did you want us to just pick something?

King Tius
2009-03-23, 05:44 PM
OOC: Also, what are the stats on the rings? Are we allowed to know?

Simba
2009-03-24, 04:01 AM
OOC:

Tell me what items you would like to get and I will see if they have them. Standard stuff should be available, of course. If you want something that I might not know please add the description!

About the rings: Ask her or examine them yourself!

Gmonkey
2009-03-24, 04:48 PM
His lips pursed in thought as Amelia speaks, Marr picks up the ring closest to him, holding it between his thumb and forefinger he speaks,"Miss Amelia, just what powers do these rings have for protecting us if I may ask? And as to requisitions from your armoury, but for a spare lance if you have one, I am readily equipped for this quest, indeed I am eager to be off to strike at this menace."

Keld Denar
2009-03-24, 09:13 PM
OOC

Gorkath selects a Belt of Giant Str +2, an Amulet of Constitution +2, and a pair of Gauntlets of Fortunate Striking (MIC pg 105 1/day attack roll reroll). Thats my whole 10,000g :)

Simba
2009-03-25, 11:59 AM
"These rings protect you from posession as well as mental domination of any kind. I do not know why The Lady instructed me thus, but I did not question Her orders. I hope they will serve you well in the days to come. Myria will take you down to the armoury once our meeting is finished. I suggest you get some fast horses from the Royal Stables, as well. Myria will take you there afterwards. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Ezeze
2009-03-25, 03:08 PM
Wish you had told us this before we spent our initial gold :smalltongue: Can Verbena have a Veil of Storms, Stormfire Ring, Anklet of Translocation and an Eternal Wand of Know Direction. Technically that still leaves some gold left, but that is a lot as is.

Keld Denar
2009-03-25, 09:58 PM
Well, I have what I need, lets get with the going!

OOC

I think we gotta get this moving a bit here or participation might be lost, and that would make me a sad panda.

King Tius
2009-03-25, 11:03 PM
Nadina picks up a ring and examines it carefully. She nods her thanks and slips it onto her finger before rising from her chair. She gives a short, respectful bow before moving to the door to head to the armo(u)ry.

"Let's get a move on. Never let a good wind blow by, as they say."

OOG: Agreed

Simba
2009-03-26, 02:29 AM
You say your goodbyes to Amelia, who blesses you in the name of The Lady, and head down to the Royal Armoury to pick up your stuff and then to the stables to get some horses. It is about an hour past midnight when you stand in front of the palace, well supplied from the Royal Kitchens and Armoury. Myria waves her goodbyes and goes back inside.

Do you want to spend the night or get going right away? The weather seems to be fine for early spring, with only a few clouds obscuring the stars. A light wind is blowing in from the sea, bringing the smell of the waves with it.

OOC:
Please everybody update your sheets! I will pick up the pace now, but I did not want you to start on the road, with no idea why or how you got yourself into this mess in the first place ;-)

Chain: I will look up those items and see what they do!

Those who have not posted their wishes yet please do so ASAP so I (and you) know what it is before you might need to use it!

Gmonkey
2009-03-28, 05:23 PM
"I propose we get a good night's sleep, and set out at first light. The night is clear but I'm sure many of us are weary from the journey here."

At the armoury, Marr chooses a particularly well crafted lance, about 3m long, an ebony body tapering to a metal tipped point, runes of strength and fire engraved along it's length. "Hahhah! Now this is a weapon to deal the very fire of Onderon! Marr exclaims loudly as he examines weapon, a smile upon his face.

Keld Denar
2009-03-28, 09:44 PM
I'm ok with leaving right now. I'd hate to lose good traveling time before dark!

Dreamshifter
2009-03-28, 10:53 PM
Drenmar acquires a cloak that matches his outfit nicely (with particularly pretty silver trim) and a silver necklace from the armory. "If we are all ready to leave, I'd say leave now. However, if anyone needs to pick up a few last minute items, like say, horses and food, we might want to wait until morning. I am ready to leave whenever everyone else is in either case."

Drenmar now has a Cloak of Charisma +2, and an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1. Oh, and a heavy Warhorse (since he had the cash left anyway).

Ezeze
2009-03-28, 11:05 PM
"The Lady has been kind enough to supply us with horses. Better to sleep the night, and set out in the morning, when they can see and are less likely to turn a leg." Verbena scratches her horse gently behind the ears.

Simba
2009-03-30, 02:58 AM
Drenmar: you know of a nice, cosy inn situated directly inside the North Gate. As you will be leaving by that gate it should be perfect for you.

Simba
2009-03-31, 09:24 AM
If you all agree you spend a quiet night in a middle-class inn. You set our early next morning, a little tired from the short night but well fed.

As you leave the city behind you, passing massive gates in best repair, you ride through fields and hamlets towards the mountains to the north. Drenmar can tell you that there is only one pass through those mountains and that there is a fortress guarding it. The Shining River is to your left as you slowly climb higher and higher, spending almost a week in the saddle.

After a week you reach a point with a fantastic view: The Shining River runs out of a huge cave, cascading down over 100 meters before becoming the river you were following. Above the cave the saddle can be seen, rising another 500 meters before flattening out.

Next to the sheer fall of the river a narrow path leads up the mountain, switching back and forth, sometimes even crossing under the wall of falling water.

Do you ride up the path? It looks extremely dangerous to you.

Gmonkey
2009-03-31, 06:19 PM
Marr dismounts before the waterfall, a whistle escaping his lips at the impressive sight. "Mister Drenmar, you know the area better than I, is there another route we can take? I'm not sure your horses will handle this.". A finger taps his lower lip as he thinks, "If we must climb I suggest we tie off, I have rope and it will prevent any falls, the path looks treacherous."

Simba
2009-03-31, 06:38 PM
None of you is sure that there is a chance to get the horses up that path, but with a little druidic help it might just work if you dismount and lead the beasts.

OOC:

I was surprised to see that not even one character has a single dot in Handle Animal. A nice Wild Empathy check should be enough, though.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-31, 11:03 PM
"I don't know much about these nasty beasts," Drenmar gestures at the horses, "but it isn't unreasonably safe on foot. I don't suppose anyone knows a way to get the brutes up there? I don't care much to carry everything myself, or walk if it isn't needed. I'm more of a city boy, unfortunately."

What can I say? City boy to the end. Why practice with horses when everything you need is within walking distance? :smallwink:

King Tius
2009-04-01, 04:39 PM
"Perhaps we can simply lead them up the path. I've no experience with horses either. Most of my life has been spent on a ship." She looks longingly at the water. "Ah, to be back on the open waves!"

OOG:

Nadina would like Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4,000), Peripapt of Wisdom +2 (4000) and an Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2000)

My sheet is all updated and stuff! Sorry it took so long

Ezeze
2009-04-01, 05:15 PM
ooc: I think this is the second time in any game I've ever played or DMed that Handle Animal has actually come up... Oops *crosses her fingers for a good roll
Verbena practically hisses at Drenmar "bite your tongue. These horses have served us well and hardly deserve your ridicule. Dismount, and I will do what I can."
[roll0]

Edit: oh, that's not fair!

Dreamshifter
2009-04-01, 07:49 PM
Drenmar dismounts, as ordered. "Do your best, then. I just wish I had bought a goat, it couldn't have given me any rougher a ride." He rubs his sore spots. And a goat would scoff at a slope like this. I think."

Well, goodbye horses, we hardly knew you at all... :smalltongue:

Simba
2009-04-02, 12:57 AM
You all dismount and start leading the horses up the path. As the first part does not involve crossing under the waterfall it is relatively easy. Once in a while Verbena talks to one of the horses, calming it a little. You make the first part without problems. Then the path switches back once more and swings slightly left to reach a ledge that disappears behind the waterfall.

OOC:

Please give me a marching order (Positions 1 to 6). Sofar I assumed Verbena somewhere in the middle (propably position 4) so she can talk to all the horses with relative ease. Who is in front? Who is last?

Keld Denar
2009-04-02, 02:41 AM
Gakath shall lead! For the glory of the North!

Gakath pulls his mighty greatsword from his shoulder harnass and while hefting its might with one hand, leads his horse with the other.

Gmonkey
2009-04-02, 05:27 PM
A nod of appreciation at Verbena's words, "My thanks Mistress Verbena, but Kraft will meet us later on", a sight that they will all have become used to as Marr dismounts and leans in to murmur a prayer of thanks while rubbing down his horse amd tying on his lance, Kraft gives a whinny before trotting off, as he breaks into a gallop he seems to disappear into specks of light as he returns to his native plain.

As Gorkath wishes to lead, Marr will go second, sword in his sheath and shield strapped to his back. Legs used to being in a saddle find the slope more awkward than most, but he manages well with the natural spring in his step of a Hobgoblin

Simba
2009-04-03, 05:24 AM
Unless I get some other information I consider you being in the following order:
1: Gakath
2: Marr
3: Nadina
4: Verbena
5: Drenmar
6: Audr (Vael left and will be replaced)

With some difficulties you get the horses to move into the area under the waterfall. The path widens a little until it is about 10 feet wide. The sound of rushing water is deafening and the air is filled with tiny dropplets of water, running down the cliffside and over the extremely slippery path.

Gakath, Marr:
About 20 feet in front of you a dark patch suggests an opening in the side of the cliff, maybe the entrance of a cave. In front of the entrance Gakath and Marr see 2 figures in military uniforms. One is a female Orc, the other a Human man. Both wear breasplates and carry crossbows, longswords and shields.

Gakath:
You can see that the soldiers stand a little strangely, not like soldiers at rest. It is hard to discern what exactly is wrong about them, but as they turn and point their crossbows at you, the blackness that replaces their eyes becomes visible to you.

Marr:
Even though they look like common soldiers you can feel that something about them is wrong. They carry a slight taint as if they had been touched by a great evil.

The others:
The horses and the tight formation you have to be in keep you from seeing much. Something is up, though. As the path is a little wider now you could pass the others' horses and see for yourself, but the gods only know what the horses would do if left without a steadying hand.

King Tius
2009-04-03, 07:50 AM
OOG: Good thing it only takes one hand to throw a javelin!

Nadina quickly positions herself on the wall side of her horse (as opposed to the cliff side) and pulls her beloved magical javelin. She keeps the thing held low and obscured from view by the horses, but if either one of the two soldiers fires she lets it rip.

ATTACK: [roll0]
DAMAGE: [roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-04-03, 12:15 PM
Lower your weapons and identify yourselves. I am Gakath Amok'Galkaunan of the North, acting as an emesary to Lady Amelia of Riversend. Why have you acosted us?

OOC
I fully expect to have to resort to "other" forms of negotiation. Gakath flexes his knees slightly, bringing his full weight over his center of balance, assuming the Stonefoot Stance. Like a spring, he is coiled to strike should negotiations break down. (IE, ready to make a standard action charge if fired upon.)

Would you like initiative at any point?

Gmonkey
2009-04-03, 07:01 PM
Assured that the Northener seems to be handling things well, Marr steps up with hand on hilt in a position to defend himself without being overly aggresive and let's his mind focus as he tries to pinpoint the source of the evil feeling he sensed

Which military uniform is it they're wearing? If I can recognise it that is. Also, Detect Evil!

Ezeze
2009-04-03, 07:24 PM
At the sound of Gakath's voice, Verbena slings her shield from its place on her back and straps it to her left arm.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-03, 08:05 PM
With the warning of trouble ahead, Drenmar can only wait and hold on to his horse, and prepare a small surprise for anything hostile. He mostly focuses his attention on their rear.

Ready and action to cast Acid Orb at the first hostile creature he sees, and watching both the front and back (with his back toward the cliff face)

Simba
2009-04-05, 01:05 AM
Marr:
The uniforms are from Riversend.

Roll initiative, please!

We will have to find a way of getting initiative faster in the future!

Gmonkey
2009-04-05, 04:17 AM
Ta :)
And initiative [roll0]

King Tius
2009-04-05, 08:11 AM
OOG:

[roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-04-05, 10:12 AM
Good to know my whole team is moving at lightning speeds!

Init
[roll0]

Oh, and Simba, you gonna bring in one of the new people for this encounter?

Dreamshifter
2009-04-05, 01:29 PM
[roll0], hopefully better than everyone else has done...

Oh, and Simba, if you want to speed it up, the best thing might be if you roll, and post the initiative order. I've been it work well in other games.

Ezeze
2009-04-05, 08:24 PM
[roll0] I have a Dexterity of 11, so no modifier.

Simba
2009-04-06, 01:25 AM
Order of initiative:

Drenmar
the 2 figures
Gakath
Verbena
Nadina
Marr

As suggested I will tke care of initiative from now on, I will roll up a table and use it for encounters.
The new party member will be with you soon! He is not one of the 2 soldiers, though.

Simba
2009-04-07, 01:09 AM
This is what you can see:

Map:

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0507/CaveFight

Dreamshifter
2009-04-08, 05:36 PM
Drenmar continues to hold on to his horse. "Drat, this beast is keeping me out of the fight." He seems ready to strike, if an enemy appears.

Still readying an action to cast Acid Orb. And watching for a rear attack.

Simba
2009-04-09, 01:00 AM
The 2 figures in the uniforms of Riversend aim at Gakath, losing one bolt each.

attack #1: [roll0], damage if hit: [roll1]
attack #2: [roll2], damage if hit: [roll3]

Simba
2009-04-09, 01:03 AM
Both bolts miss their intended target, riochetting off the cliff. You are all free to act for the rest of this round!

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I had a real tough day yesterday!

Keld Denar
2009-04-09, 11:45 AM
Gakath spins suddenly, the crossbow bolts becoming tangled in his heavy wolfhide cloak and deflecting wide. Upon completing the spin, Gakath surges forward, heading toward the soldier on his left. Planting himself suddenly (Stonefoot Stance) he momentarily feels the might of the North wind on his face, which he unleaches in a powerful whirling strike, hitting both guards (Steel Wind Strike). The silver markings on his bracers flash briefly as his powerful arms flex.

Power Attack for 2 using Steel Wind
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

roll opposed bullrush checks. I move them 5' per 5 points I beat their check. The 1 on the right should get knocked off the cliff and the one on the left should hit the cliff wall and take another [roll6] additional damage.

So, Chain is next, I believe, assuming there is anyone left to fight! :P

Simba
2009-04-09, 01:08 PM
Gakath throws one guard into the waterfall while the other is thrown against the cliffside. Both were propably dead even before they collided with the walls of stone and water, respectively.

In front of Gakath two vaguely humanoid forms - translucent like ghosts - appear. Before he can react they reach for him, extending wraithlike arms, but then draw back and vanish howling into the cliffside, leaving Gakath without harm, but with a ring suddenly warm and pulsing.

OOC: The rest of the group is free to act for a round or 2. You can move up with or without the horses, as you like. Let's suppose Audr can take care of them for now.

Gmonkey
2009-04-10, 07:28 AM
Before Marr can react Gakath takes care of the threat, the appearance of the ethereal beings a worrying but not entirely surprising turn of events. Marr moves forwards to kneel by the body of the second guard, his hands running above the body with eyes closed as he tries to sense the aura of evil that prevailed earlier. Once completed he will try and find some identification to send through to Riversend.

"I think the evil presence that controlled these two is gone, I guess we can thank the Lady for these rings, those beings appeared deflected by their power. These two I imagine weren't so lucky."

A sigh as he stands, then he will move to inspect the cave.

If I got the detect evil up in time I'm assuming it would have pinged on the two ethereal beings, regardless will still have it running and assume it's gone but for a wisp perhaps clinging to the corpse?

Simba
2009-04-10, 10:13 AM
Marr senses lingering remains of something evil, but it's hard to judge as the source of the evil has already left the dieing body.

You see the mouth of a cave, about 20 feet wide and 10 feet high. It seems to be an old riverbed, but has not seen any water in decades. Something out of sight must have blocked the water quite a few years ago.

The cave goes straight for about 40 feet before turning upward. It seems to be empty, except for some rubble. It looks like a perfect place to rest.

The path goes on for another 100 feet before switching back.

Keld Denar
2009-04-10, 12:06 PM
Gakath stoops briefly to clean his sword blade in the cool waters.

These men, they appeared to be...not men. Has anyone seen anything like that before? It was as if their vengeful spirits had risen to attack me. That leaves me...uncomfortable. I do not wish to anger the spirits of the dead. My people hold those who have passed honorably from this world in the highest regard.

Gakath attempts to retrieve the body that was flung into the waterfall. If successful, he says a short prayer to Nordal to whisk their spirits away on the north wind. He then sets about erecting a small caern to entomb the body in the cave.

While searching around the cave for suitable stones, does he find anything of note?

Dreamshifter
2009-04-11, 03:42 AM
Drenmar wrinkles his brow. "I can't be sure, but I don't think those were vengeful spirits, or at least not from the fallen warriors. I'd be guessing, but I'd say it was the other way around, that the soldiers were possessed, and when they died, those same spirits tried to possess you, Gakath. But, I'd be guessing, honestly."

Ezeze
2009-04-11, 12:50 PM
Verbena shouts to be heard over the waterfall "Shall we continue, then? Or stop to look around?"

Keld Denar
2009-04-11, 07:10 PM
Provided Gakath doesn't find anything while searching around the cave, he will move toward leading the group along the cliff.

King Tius
2009-04-12, 10:30 AM
Nadina

The pirate princess keeps her magic javelin drawn. As the others investigate deal with the bodies and discuss vengeful spirits, she scans the path ahead and the area around them, looking for other signs of trouble.

Search: [roll0]

"Perhaps we should give the cave a thorough search. There may be more clues inside."

Simba
2009-04-12, 11:14 AM
Provided Gakath doesn't find anything while searching around the cave, he will move toward leading the group along the cliff.

The first few meters of the cave are smooth and without any stones or anything else that's special. It goes on deeper into the mountain, though. Do you want to continue on the path or enter the cave and explore it?

Dreamshifter
2009-04-12, 01:53 PM
After a quick glance about, Drenmar looks thoughtful. "Well, our orders are to find the source, so this could just be a distraction. On the other hand, this could be a sign of trouble, and might lead us to important discoveries, or perhaps the source itself. I'm leaning slightly towards exploring the cave, myself. Though, we won't be able to take the horses."

Keld Denar
2009-04-12, 03:15 PM
We do not know how deep this cave goes. I would rather finish exploring the cliff to determine if there are any other points of entery. I'm also hesitant to enter into a cave with undiscovered ground behind us, fearing that something might move to flank us. We know the cave is here, we can return to it in brief order if the path proves to be fruitless. That is the way my people handle caves in the northern highlands where I come from.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-12, 03:34 PM
Bowing his head, Drenmar says "I will bow to your expertise, since caves are not something I usually deal with. And what you say makes sense. So, back up the cliff, then. Lets hope the horses behave, and we can duplicate the easy victory if we encounter more foes."

Ezeze
2009-04-12, 04:25 PM
Verbena continues to lead the horses along the pathway, going from one to the other to whisper calming words into their ears.

What else do we find?

Simba
2009-04-13, 04:32 AM
You follow the path for another half hour. It switches back and forth, crossing once more under the waterfall, then over it. From there you have a fantastic view over the valley of the Shiningg River.

You see noone on your further way up.

When you reach the upper end of the cliff you see a high, strong wall over the path in front of you. It is ancored by 2 small forts, one on each mountainside and has a massive gate in the middle, where the path leads through it. About 50 feet of flat, open land lies between the edge of the cliff and the wall.

The gate stands open and noone can be seen guarding the wall. The whole area seems to be deserted. This is very stragne as the fortress known as "The Wall" should be manned at all times.

Keld Denar
2009-04-13, 01:50 PM
Well, this is interesting. I would wager that the cave below is connected in some way to the fortress as a back door or escape route. I vote that we attempt to go in that way. I do not like the idea of being out in the open as we approach this fortress. Something does not feel right. What are we going to do with our horses

Simba, who's fortress was this? Did it at one point belong to the kingdom of Riversend? I would assume so, given the presence of the uniformed "men" we found below.

Simba
2009-04-14, 01:16 AM
"The Wall" is Riversend's northenmost fortress, built against the first attacks by the Old Ones. You know that is has in fact 2 walls, with a 300 feet court in between. It was held against the Old Ones for a few month in the Great War, but it fell in the end, opening a way for the armies of the Old Ones shortly before the end of the war.

When the war was over Riversend reclaimed The Wall and rebuilt it, stronger than before, expecting another assault that never materialized. It should still be manned, even though the Old Ones have been gone for a long while.

Keld Denar
2009-04-14, 01:40 AM
Yea, get a very bad feeling about being up here. Let us go back below and see where the cave takes us.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Gmonkey
2009-04-14, 08:12 AM
"Aye, I think we must admit that the Wall has been compromised, the cave may be our best hope"

Ezeze
2009-04-14, 03:15 PM
"And what if the cave does not go behind the wall? What are we to do with the horses?"

Gmonkey
2009-04-15, 05:11 PM
"Then we will have to risk the wall, but right now the cave seems far less risky, and I agree with Mister Gakath that it would seem likely that the cave would be connected as an escape route or alternate entrance. The gods have seen fit that my race does not need light to see, I possess some skill at stealth and no horse to worry over; I can scout out the cave."

Ezeze
2009-04-15, 06:45 PM
Verbena nods "As you say. But as far out as we are now - if you find anything, don't try to handle it alone. Come back to get us."

Dreamshifter
2009-04-17, 05:23 PM
Glancing from the Wall to the cliff face, Drenmar looks concerned. "While I think the cave is the better option, given the potential number of archers on the wall, and the distance we'd have to go, I think it would be best to stick together, leaving one of us hidden with the horses, perhaps with orders to lead them down in a few hours if we don't return. That way, we are best prepared for the fights that likely lie in wait. It's not that I doubt your race's blessing, Marr, but that I doubt that the enemy is unprepared for us. If they have the inside well lit, or these spirits, whatever they are, can see in the dark... I'd rather we were all there together."

Plus, it means that word of what is happening here will make it back to Riversend soon regardless of what fate holds for us."

Keld Denar
2009-04-18, 11:02 PM
Yes, lets stay together. The horses will be fine. Let us see what adventure awaits us ahead!

Gakath hefts his mighty sword in front of him and begins walking into the cave, hoping that the others come with him, but not looking back.

Someone may want to light a torch. Gakath calls behind him.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-18, 11:17 PM
Drenmar pats his bag, then reaches his arm into it, feels around, and comes up empty handed. "I'll be happy to carry a torch or lantern, it doesn't impede my combat ability. However, I gotta admit I don't have one on me."

Simba
2009-04-19, 04:53 AM
You walk back down to the entrance of the cave, leaving Audr with the horses. You reach the cave without trouble and enter once more. Nothing has changed since your last visit. The first few yards of the cave look the same and it still curves upward at the back.

OOC:
Walking order? Any spells or abilities readied? Anything special?

Dreamshifter
2009-04-19, 08:13 AM
Outside the cave, Drenmar weaves his magic, protecting himself from the enemies blows.

If we are walking two by two, Drenmar can bring up the rear. And he is casting Mage Armor, good for the next 6 hours.

Simba
2009-04-21, 01:52 AM
You enter the cave, looking for dangers. It seems to have been made by rushing waters. The walls and the floor are smooth, the ceiling a little bit rougher.

After about 50 yards the cave slopes upwards, gently at first, but becomes more steep at each step until you have to climb instead of walking. Handholds worked into the wall make climbing easier.

After another 100 yards it levels off again. As you climb over the last steep part you see a wall closing off the cave about 10 yards in front of you. There is a small door in the wall that looks massive, but is only big enough to grant access to one person at a time. It is slighty recessed into the wall. On both sides arrowslits guard the door as well as the whole wall. A total of 8 slits can be seen, but no arrows or bolts come flying at you.

In front of the closed door you see a small figure kneeling, working on the door. It seems to be a dwarf.

Simba
2009-04-21, 02:21 AM
Moved from OOC, posted by Keld Denar:

Greetings master dwarf. From what parts do you hail from? I'm guessing you...aren't part of whatever force occupied this fortress, nor whatever force seems to have caused it to become vacated. What brings you here, and what are you doing with this door?

Gakath slowly takes a few steps forward while lowering the tip of his mighty blade toward the ground, indicating peaceful intent, yet keeping ready to snap back into an aggressive posture at the first sign of hostility.

Gmonkey
2009-04-21, 09:06 AM
Looking thoughtful for a second, "You are of course right, Mr Drenmar, I made the first mistake of underestimating our enemy, it would be arrogant of me to assume an advantage that has not been proven. We will go in as a group, as you suggest. Also I have brought a brace of torches with me, though we can see in the dark, true light is better for fine details."

Reaching into his backpack and removing two torches he hands them to Drenmar, then dons his shield and takes his sword from it's sheath, "Though if there are no objections I would like to go first, Mr Gakath, if you are taking point with me, would you take my left?"

[OOC edit - Wow, turns out that post didn't go through before I left :P]

IC edit - Marr also lowers his sword, his eyes watching the arrow slits for any sign of movement

Ezeze
2009-04-21, 04:19 PM
With a gesture, Verbena summons light.
Her gloves cast or dismiss Light at-will

As Gakath speaks, the druid peers suspiciously at the arrow slits in the wall. Subtly, she shifts her shield onto her arm.

Simba
2009-04-22, 10:24 AM
The dwarf at the door lifts one hand for a second, waving, then lowers it again, moves his wrists just so, and the lock he was picking opens with an audible "click".

"Eh voila!" he says, turning around. "You must be Audr's group, right? I heard she was with you, where is she?"

King Tius
2009-04-22, 03:46 PM
Nadina plants the butt of her javelin on the ground and bows slightly to the dwarf.

"Audr is out watching our horses while we explore this cave. Shall I fetch her for you?"

Gmonkey
2009-04-27, 09:49 AM
Marr's sword is still lowered as he speaks, not yet trusting this chance encounter; "Before that, pray tell how you know of Audr, master dwarf. I apologise for my lack of trust, but we have already been attacked once today, I must ask you to prove your friendship."

Salvonus
2009-04-28, 02:52 AM
"I come with a message from none other than the King of Deependelve, m'lord." Radamus replied succinctly, swiftly producing a scroll from his enchanted backpack. Despite a gruffness to his voice and appearance, Radamus' words were filled with a sense of politeness and cautious respect. "I am afraid that the King requires Audr's services, and has sent me along as her replacement."

"The proof of my credentials and corroboration of my story should be contained within this scroll," Radamus continued, bowing while he handed the scroll to the sword-wielding man. "Should you have any questions, I shall be happy to answer them for you."

"M'lady, I would be most pleased if you could summon Audr to my attention," the dwarf stated politely, directing his attention towards the javelin-wielding woman.

Satisfied with his own responses to the newcomers, Radamus swiftly turned his back upon them and began to investigate the door for traps and the like, producing a small eyeglass from his pack to aid in his investigation of minute details.

Take 20 on Search: 20+18=38

Simba
2009-04-28, 03:12 AM
@Radamus:

You find no traps on the door. The lock was extremely tedious work because it was old, rusty and unused, almost fused shut. By using some oil and some acid you managed to open it, though.

Salvonus
2009-04-28, 03:26 AM
Satisfied that the door was safe to open, Radamus arose from his hunched position. Dusting himself off, the Dwarf returned his tools to the magical backpack slung over his shoulders.

"Well, the door's all clear, m'lord and lady," Radamus spoke aloud, "A bit rusty, mind; hasn't been used for a while, that's for sure. I can take a look ahead, if y'd like, once I give dear Audr the news."

Gmonkey
2009-04-28, 11:12 AM
A smile and a nod at the dwarfs response, Marr takes the note and scans it briefly, satisfied by the seal he quickly looks for the name of their new ally.

"Thankyou, and I apologise for any mistrust but I thought it best to be certain. My name is Marr Gatha, a captain in the service of the King of Garach." gesturing to his companions, "Here is Master Gakath of the Far North, Mistress Verbena representing the Druid council, Mistress Nadina of the Fornal Islands and Master Drenmar from Riversend. Your name is... Radamus? And your help scouting would be greatly appreciated, but first you must meet Audr"

Simba
2009-04-28, 01:05 PM
You quickly lead Radamus up the trail to meet Audr. They seem to know each other well and exchange some news about home. Audr seems concerned about it, but agrees to stay and watch the horses until you are finished exploring the cave.

"Nothing new up here" she says "The fortress seems to be deserted!"

You walk back down and enter the cave once more to gather in front of the still unmanned wall at the back of the cave. All is quiet and the door is still unlocked. Do you enter?

Gmonkey
2009-04-28, 01:14 PM
"Well Master Radamus, if you still wish to scout ahead I would be proud to accompany you, or shall we progress as one unit once more?"

Marr loosens up his shoulder and readies his sword again, swinging his shield down to his arm as he awaits the group consensus.

Salvonus
2009-04-28, 04:11 PM
"Good tidings to you all. As you deduced, my name is Radamus Gold-Eyed. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, m'lords and ladies. Now is not the right time for exchanging too many pleasantries, of course; I shall be happy to further acquaint myself with you, my newfound companions, at a later time." Radamus replied, walking purposefully back into the cave following his conversation with Audr.

"I shall defer, of course, to the leadership of others in this group. Should you wish me to scout ahead, I am capable of stealth and skilled in the art of the quick escape. It's saved me quite a few times, I can assure you!" Radamus grinned, awaiting the verdict of the group. His right eye, golden in colour, twinkled slightly as the Dwarf smiled. Standing back slightly from the rest, he began to stretch, limbering himself up.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-28, 06:36 PM
Having remained quiet since entering the cave, Drenmar finally comments. "I'm still thinking that going in as a group would be best. With any luck, there will be few surprises ahead, but I doubt it."

Keld Denar
2009-04-28, 08:21 PM
I suggest that myself and Captain Marr lead the column. Behind us will follow Verbina and our new companion Radamus. Behind them will be the rear guard of Nadina and Drenmar.

We shall march in a 2x3 patern. Does anyone have any objections to this?

With that, Gakath starts toward the door that Radamus just opened. Throwing the portal wide, he lowers the point of his massive black sword and advances toward the heart of the cave.

Simba
2009-04-29, 02:48 AM
As you open the door you see that it leads into a room maybe 30 yards long and 20 yards wide. It is relatively bare, with only 2 tables and about a dozen chairs in one corner near the wall. At the other end there is another door, standing wide open. Then room is lit by magical torches, spread out along the walls to provide sufficient illumination.

Along the left wall of the room 8 people in uniforms are lined up, weapons ready. A group of 4 crossbowmen are standing at the back wall, aiming in your direction. They fire their weapons at Gakath, who is the first to enter. Luckily only one of the bolts hit.

The crossbowmen start reloading their weapons at once while the 8 soldier move in from the wall, forming a line against you and closing in.

Simba
2009-04-29, 02:54 AM
Order of initiative:

Marr
Verbena
Radamus
Drenmar
-- the other side --
Nadina
Gakath

After the first round we will go with one roll for each side!
Don't hesitate to post when it's your turn!

Simba
2009-04-29, 04:46 AM
A map of the current situation:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0364/CaveFight_round1.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0364/CaveFight_round1)

Gmonkey
2009-04-29, 07:15 AM
Seeing the northener hit by a bolt, Marr steps close to provide him with cover from his shield as he assesses the situation quickly, scanning the warriors facing them he recognises a drilled military unit, the best hope being to break the line and enter melee before the crossbowmen can reload. A hasty whisper before his battle cry, Cover my left, we mustn't let them use their numbers against us, for the Kingdom of Garach!" Marr chooses his target, a soldier third from the right, and advances at a jog, his shield held forward as he feints a clumsy overhand blow that twists into a straight thrust.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

What uniform and/or armour are these guys wearing?

Simba
2009-04-29, 09:10 AM
The soldiers are wearing Riversend uniforms and have the same black eyes you already know from the first encounter. As you remember Gakath finished those 2 off easily.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-29, 08:57 PM
Drenmar moves in to attack, ending up in front of the fourth from the left, and attacking the fifth from the left."Well, so much for sneaking in. Wonder if this means they all think as one or something?"

Spending a swift action to burn a first level spell for a +1 to hit and damage for a round (Ascetic Mage)
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage

Ezeze
2009-04-30, 02:43 PM
Verbena rushes around the left side of the eight uniformed soldiers, lining them up for the bolt of lightning that cackles down her arms and through the closest four of them. At the same time, the huge snake coiled around her shoulders slithers forward and strikes at the closest one.

Using Storm Bolt to deal [roll0] electricity damage to the four soldiers on the left side. If that kills them, Cyrus attacks the next closest one. If not, the one next to her.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

King Tius
2009-04-30, 04:41 PM
Nadina strafes left and hurls her Distance Retuning Javelin at anyone in the front row of enemies still alive. If they're all dead, she'll aim for someone in the back. She aims preferentially at an enemy already damaged by her allies.

Keld Denar
2009-04-30, 06:28 PM
Gakaths muscles are coiled and a cold fury burns in his steely eyes. If only his stone hard muscles reacted to the demands of his will in a more timely fasion!

OOC

I think I want to assess the situation before giving my turn. Lots of damage gone out, and I want to make sure by blade falls with maximal lethality! DEATH TO THE ENEMIES OF THE ALLIES OF THE NORTH!

Salvonus
2009-05-01, 08:30 AM
Radamus had readied himself to cast an illusory field to impede the horde of enemies, but quickly changed his mind when he viewed the apparent effectiveness of his newfound companions' combat prowess. Deciding to conserve his spellcasting energies for a later time, Radamus simply drew his loaded crossbow from his haversack and fired off a bolt at the archers nearby the far door.

Well, not sure there's much point in any illusions here. Might as well save the spell slots. :smalltongue:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Simba
2009-05-02, 01:16 AM
Most of the soldiers in the front row are wounded, some more so than others, even though none has fallen yet. They lift their weapons to attack those of you close enough even before Nadina and Gakath can react.

OOC:
Sorry for the delay, this weekend we have mother's day and my wife, our 3 kids and I are busy doing family stuff. I will continue Monday morning!

Simba
2009-05-04, 01:34 AM
You move in on the enemy.

Drenmar scores a solid hit on soldier S5 while Vebena's Lightning Bolt hits half the soldiers in the front row. Cyrus attacks the soldier directly in front of Verbena (S1), coiling around him and making him unable to move.

Nadina moves a few steps to get a clearer field of fire and hits soldier S2 with her javelin.

Radamus moves to the right for the same reason, but his crossbow bold does little damage to soldier S12 in the back row.

As Garkath assesses the situation, the enemy strikes back:

S1 attacks Verbena as she moves in, but misses.
S2 moves around to hit Drenmar, scoring a massive hit (-6hps Drenmar, unconfirmed critical).
S3 moves around to hit Drenmar, but misses him by a hair's width.
S4 strikes at Drenmar as well, but it's only a grazing hit (-3hps Drenmar, unconfirmed critical)
S5 seems to hurt from the attack on his and misses Drenmar with a wild swing.
S6, S7 and S8 each try to hit Marr, but all attacks miss even though some of them come very close.
The crossbowmen reload their weapons and fire at the end of the round, all aiming ar the wounded Drenmar, but missing him completely.

Simba
2009-05-04, 01:38 AM
Before Gakath acts it looks like this:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0162/CaveFight_round2.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0162/CaveFight_round2)

I have marked the enemy soldiers S1 - S12, their wounds show in black. Wounds on party members are red.

Keld Denar
2009-05-04, 02:50 AM
Gakath moves up between Drenmar and Marr, planting his feet in the stone beneath him, and sweeps his massive black sword in an overhead chop that blows against S6 and S7 like a Steely Wind.

Assume Stonefoot Stance, then initiating Steel Wind maneuver, PA for -2.
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Oopse, typo. S1 should be S6 and S2 should be S7. Can't change it in the roll though.

Keld Denar
2009-05-04, 02:51 AM
Crit confirm
[roll0] [roll1]

Simba
2009-05-04, 03:10 AM
Gakath storms in between Denmar and Marr, striking at soldiers S5 and S6, killing both instantly.

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0747/CaveFight_round2_2.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0747/CaveFight_round2_2)

OOC: I changed your targets a little. Easier to hit those 2, anyway. I hope it's ok with you!

Simba
2009-05-04, 05:12 AM
As the two soldiers fall down dead a ghostlike form rises from each of them, hovering above their bodies for a moment.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-04, 07:12 PM
Drenmar jabs at one of the soldiers blocking the path to the archers, and once more his fists glow. "They are either lucky, or very skilled. Ouch."

Flurry of Blows on S4, after burning a second level spell for +2 to hot and damage.
[roll0], for [roll1]
[roll2], for [roll3]

Ezeze
2009-05-04, 09:17 PM
Cyrus coils more tightly around his victim. Verbena steps back, reaches into the pouch at her hip, and draws a set of snake's scales. She throws them from her, and they burst as if they had hit a wall, dissipating into a fine glitter that stands in the air.

Cyrus
[roll0]
[roll1]

Verbena casts Mass Snake's Swiftness, which allows all her allies within medium range to immediately make one melee or ranged attack. This includes Cyrus, who will bite the human he is constricting if he isn't dead, or attack the next one if he is.

[roll2]
[roll3]
Improved Grab
[roll4]
[roll5]

Dreamshifter
2009-05-04, 09:43 PM
Drenmar uses the magical energies flowing through the room to lash out once more.

Same target if alive, or S2 if he isn't. [roll0], damage [roll1]

King Tius
2009-05-04, 09:53 PM
Nadina snaps her fingers and the javelin magically returns to her hand. She Lets her javelin loose again, laughing almost manically.

King Tius
2009-05-04, 09:58 PM
OOG: This is why I should read the OOC's first.

Snake's Swiftness Attack! (whoever is free)

Keld Denar
2009-05-05, 12:43 AM
Inspired by Verbina's magic, Gakath lashes out again with his mighty greatsword at the guard at S4.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gmonkey
2009-05-05, 09:57 AM
Comforted by the presence of the northern warrior on his left flank, Marr turns his attention to the soldier to his right (S7), from his peripheries it appears one of the crossbowmen at the back is passing on orders, presumably the leader of this attack. Putting that to one side he blocks a cut on his shield as he lances out with a lunge against his opponent, hoping to strike low and pierce his armour.

Feeling the a surge of energy from behind, Marrs hair standing on end as courses of sparks crackle down his arms, unleashing another quick jab against his opponent.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Gmonkey
2009-05-05, 10:00 AM
Critical confirmation:

Salvonus
2009-05-05, 10:49 AM
Radamus shifted backwards slightly, dexterously shuffling out of the reach of the soldier's blade. Raising his arms skyward, Radamus gesticulated wildly as he appeared to enter a trance-like state, words of undeniably arcane power bubbling forth from his mouth. His head jerked back and forth in a manic manner, the Dwarf seemingly possessed by some insane, destructive demon. Radamus' mouth began to froth, spittle flying as his babbling reached a crescendo.

Suddenly, there was silence. Blessed silence, respite from the madman's ravings. A mere moment later, a bright, explosive flash of light filled the room - not blinding in nature, but certainly noticeable. An overpowering aroma of burning flesh began to waft through the area, a sickening smell, to be sure. Situated in between the crossbowmen and the front lines was a creature seemingly made of pure flame, an ever-burning pillar of fire shaped into a vaguely humanoid shape. The creature violently lurched towards the crossbowmen, brutal murder of the soldiers' commander seeming to be the focus of its intent. Stopping just in front of the man, the fire-creature let out a great roar, eardrum-shattering in its intensity. As the sound issued from the fire-creature's mockery of human lips, a swirling cloud of flame began to hover around its head, a flame that burnt with utmost intensity. Sensations of intense heat began to pulsate from the creature, the temperature it emitted uncomfortably tangible even across the room.

"AHAHAHAHA!" Radamus cackled maniacally, his gold-iris eye taking on a look of crazed pleasure, "BURN! BURN!"

*cough*

5 ft. Step: SE
Standard Action: Cast... Major Image. :smalltongue:
Move Action: Reload Crossbow.

I believe that they only get a Will save if they interact with the thing - i.e., if they try to touch it/attack it and are actually successful in that regard. The image is Large size, so it has an AC of 9. However, it would technically threaten the commander if it was real, so any ranged attacks against it should be considered "firing into melee" (IMHO :smallsmile:). Unless they have Precise Shot, that would mean a -4 to ranged attacks vs. the image.

If they do hit the thing, Radamus will make the image act as if it was accordingly damaged. (Major Image permits this. :smallbiggrin:) Unless they make a... ooh, DC 21 Will save, they're still gonna think that sucker is real. Oh, and even if one person disbelieves it, it doesn't mean that the others do. :smalltongue:

Salvonus
2009-05-05, 10:54 AM
Oops, forgot the free attack.

[roll0] (I don't think he's in melee now, since I 5 ft. step'd away, but, if he is, subtract 4 from this roll. :smalltongue:)
[roll1]

... Doesn't matter anyway. :smalltongue:

King Tius
2009-05-05, 12:21 PM
I'm tempted to cast a spell, but if the Snake's Swiftness is still in effect, I'll throw two more!

1st attack

2nd attack

Simba
2009-05-06, 01:10 AM
At Radamus' command a mighty being of fire appears in front of the crossbowmen, who all fire wildly at it, mostly missing their target. After the attacks two of the seem to hesitate, though.

Marr swings at soldier S7, scoring 2 hits, wounding his enemy.

Nadina throws another javelin, hitting soldier S10.

Drenmar finishes off soldier S2 and turns to confront S3.

Gakath has his adversery on the defense, but fails to score any significant hits.

Soldier S1 is still firmly in the coils of Cyrus, unable to breath, slowly suffocating. He still struggles weakly.

Soldier S3 swings at Drenmar but is unable to hit his nimble oponent.

Soldier S4 tries to stab Gakath, but the Goliath easily parries the clumsy attack.

Soldiers S7 and S8 attack Marr simultaniously, trying to make the most of their supperior numbers. One blow lands on Marr's shield, but the other is solid and cuts deeply into Marr's left leg.

Simba
2009-05-06, 01:22 AM
Status at the end of the round:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0923/CaveFight_round3.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0923/CaveFight_round3)

The other side goes first this round, I will handle that a little later.

Simba
2009-05-06, 02:20 AM
IC Nadina, Radamus only:

you think you cand detect movement and hear some strange noises in the darkness behind the open door in front of you. It's hard to say what it is, but it might be someone casting a spell or performing some kind of ritual.

Simba
2009-05-07, 01:44 AM
It's the soldiers' turn again:

S1 is still very busy dieing, feld fast by Cyrus and making gurgling noises.
S3 misses once again, nimble Drenmar dancing away from the blow.
S4 hits Gakath with a mighty overhand chop, opening a deep gash on the Goliath's flank.
S7 and S8 both go for Marr, but he manages to block one clumsy swing, dodging the other with ease.

The crossbowmen have reloaded. Their commander seems to have realized what is happening. He coordinates their activities as they all turn away from the Major Image to fire at the group once more.

S9 and S10 both have clear field of fire and concentrate on Verbena, hitting her with 2 bolts.
S11 and S12 fire at Marr, but as they have to shoot past their commarades they both miss their target.

S7 realizes that he is in the line of fire and moves a little to the side.

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0570/CaveFight_round4.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0570/CaveFight_round4)

Dreamshifter
2009-05-07, 02:08 AM
Drenmar draws power into himself once more, drawing deeply on his arcane reserves, and his fists once more glow with pale blue light. He surveys the enemy, then chooses his target, and unleashes his might on them.

Burning another second level spell for increased accuracy and damage, attacking S4 with a flurry of blows.
[roll0] tohit, [roll1] damage.
[roll2] tohit, [roll3] damage.

Keld Denar
2009-05-07, 01:58 PM
Gakath lashes out visciously with his Greatsword toward soldier S4. If the attack kills S4, Gakath will 5' step forward in front of Marr, swinging at S7 with his iterative attack. He will finish the attacks with a dramatic flourish, recovering all spent Warblade maneuvers.

Vile creatures!

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
And, assuming S7 hits the wall from the knockback:
[roll6]

King Tius
2009-05-07, 03:10 PM
Nadina raises her hands upwards and chants to her Goddess. Stamping her foot on the ground, she summons an earth elemental just outside the far door and commands it to attack whoever is inside (assuming they are hostile).

Ezeze
2009-05-07, 05:17 PM
Verbena strides Northwards, then with a flick of her wrist sends another stream of electrical current at one of the soldiers who shot her. Cyrus uncoils himself from his first victim and strikes at his second.

Verbena moves to within 20 ft of S9 and deals [roll0] damage.
Cyrus charges S3
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Gmonkey
2009-05-07, 06:08 PM
Rolling with the blow, Marr returns a quick riposte at S7, aiming a high, fast thrust, then sidestepping to take him away from the reach of the S8 as he deflects another blow with his sword, moving N

[roll0]
[roll1]

Salvonus
2009-05-10, 08:57 AM
Seeing that his illusory decoy had only momentarily distracted his enemies, Radamus quickly evaluated his options. The Dwarf's keen eyes detected movement in the shadows beyond the open door - a concerning prospect, to be sure. Feeling that his influence over the course of the ongoing melee struggle was minimal at best, Radamus decided to instead utilise his skills of stealth to investigate the strange sounds emanating from the darkness. A muttered incantation later, and the Dwarf was invisible from mundane sight.

Relying on the din of battle to soften his footsteps, Radamus opted for speed over stealth. The invisible Dwarf slipped past the attackers, moving as fast as he could in the direction of the door and the darkness beyond it.

Sorry for the delay - internet issues!

Standard Action: Cast Invisibility. (60 rounds left)
Move Action: Skirt around S8 and S7 and use the remaining move distance to make his way to the door.

Simba
2009-05-11, 01:38 AM
While Drenmar's fists do little damage to S4, Gakath's sword strike does enough to kill him. Gakath then steps and aims a mighty swing at S7, missing him.

Nadina calls on her goddess' power and summons an Earth Elemental that appears in the door leading into the next room.

Cyrus coils around the next soldier, S4, and starts suffocating and biting him while Verbena flicks lighning at one of the crossbowmen.

Marr's attack hits S7, opening a blleding wound in the soldier's body. Stepping away from S8, Marr advances a little.

As S8 turns to follow Marr, seeing little threat in Radamus, the Dwarf dissappears and stalks quietly past him, moving towars the door.

I have removed some dead bodies, here is the situation before it's your turn again:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0247/CaveFight_round5.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0247/CaveFight_round5)

Dreamshifter
2009-05-11, 09:21 AM
Eying up the situation, Drenmar considers tactics for a moment. Gakath, deal with their leader, would you? We have this lot under control." He moves between Gakath and the last soldier in the center, charges his fists once more, though his arcane energies are running low, and strikes.

5' step north-ish, shielding Gakath from possible AoOs from S3, burning a 1st level spell, and FoB.

King Tius
2009-05-11, 09:49 AM
OOG: According to the spell description my earth elemental was allowed to move and attack last round....

Nadina mentally commands her new elemental minion to attack while she lets a javelin loose at S10.

Javelin

Earth Elemental

Elemental Attack from previous round:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Simba
2009-05-11, 12:48 PM
Nadina's Earth Elemental moves through the door at the northern end of the room, disappearing from sight.

Keld Denar
2009-05-11, 02:28 PM
Gakath moves up past where Radamus would be and moves in between the fire elemental and S11/S12, tumbling if required.

Reaching that location, Gakath again plants his feet in a Stonefooted Stance, sweeping his massive Greatsword across in a Steel Wind patern.

[roll0] vs DC15

Power Attack for 2. Knockback is an opposed Bullrush. If the foes are knocked back into a wall, they automatically take Dungeoncrash damage. S11 should be pushed into the north wall, and S12 should be pushed into the east wall.
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]

Keld Denar
2009-05-11, 02:32 PM
Crit Confirmation on S11

[roll0] [roll1]

Gmonkey
2009-05-11, 03:35 PM
Seeing Gakath make his move, Marr sidesteps wive him to block him from any attack from S7, his longsword licking out again as it searches for cracks in his opponents defenses.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ezeze
2009-05-11, 05:37 PM
With another flick of her wrist, Verbena shocks her attacker with another bolt of electricity. Cyrus rears his head once more and strikes, tightening his hold on his victim.

Storm Bolt damage [roll0]
Cyrus
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Salvonus
2009-05-11, 06:37 PM
Confident in his sneaking abilities, Radamus continued to move stealthily towards the door.

Move Action: Move further towards the door and enter the next room.
Standard Action: ??? I need to know what Radamus sees in the next room. :smalltongue:

Simba
2009-05-12, 01:23 AM
Nadina's Earth Elemental has gone on into the next room. Some rumbling, shouts of pain and a sharp word can be heard from there. Nadina herself throws her Javelin at soldier S10.

Following Drenmar's suggestion Kakath sprints across the room, charging the foes in the north-eastern corner of the room. His wide swipes cut through both of them, throwing their bodies into the wall, where they lie still.

Marr thrusts at S7, finding a weakness in his armor, killing him.

While Cyrus finishes off S3 with Drenmar's help, Verbena throws another bolt at S9, who look severely wounded.

Radamus sneaks to the door leading onward successfully and looks into the room beyond.

As more of the enemy soldiers die, their spirits leave their bodies and all stream into their leader, S11. His wounds all close and he grows in size while he gets up again, drawing two large blades from his back. White light plays around his form, forming a barrier. He steps up to threaten Gakath.

The situation at the end of round 6, before the other side gets to act:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0082/CaveFight_round6.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0082/CaveFight_round6)

Simba
2009-05-12, 01:34 AM
Soldiers S9 and S10, while both severely wounded, still fire their crossbows at Verbena, hitting her and bringing her to the brink of death.

Soldier S8 steps up behind Marr and delivers a powerful stroke aiming for his back, but missing.

S11, newly healed and grown to imense size, attacks Gakath imediately, scoring 2 severe hits on the Goliath Warblade.

In the next room, Radamus sees the Earth Elemental disappear in a flash, seemingly sent back to its home. He sees 3 more figures, clad in robes, all casting spells at once. In front of them a shimmering wall fills the door.

The situation at the end of round 6:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0066/CaveFight_round6_2.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0066/CaveFight_round6_2)

Dreamshifter
2009-05-12, 02:12 AM
Drenmar looks concerned for his companions. "If someone has some healing magics, now would be a good time to use them."

Leaving the remaining swordsman to Marr, Drenmar charges the leader.

Charging S11, if possible.

[roll0] tohit, [roll1]

Here's hoping I get a good roll for a change. :smalltongue:

Ezeze
2009-05-12, 08:06 AM
Verbena grabs the rod hanging from her belt by a cord. She brushes it along her wounds and a few begin to close. Cyrus hisses and uncoils from his latest victim to assist his master.

Verbena is using her wand of Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]
Cyrus is charging S9.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

King Tius
2009-05-12, 10:52 AM
Since Verbena is healing herself Nadina will move to Gakath and plants a Cure Moderate Wounds spell on him

Healing: [roll0]

Gmonkey
2009-05-12, 10:54 AM
His honed senses letting him avoid the blow from behind, Marr takes Drenmar's advice, spinning to face his opponent, taking advantage of his enemy's overswing, Marr's blade licks out again, seeking blood.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-05-14, 08:32 PM
Gakath steps 5' over so that the officer is directly between himself and the wall. While he moves, he whips his blade around with such speed its barely a blur as it scythes into the enlarged officer.

Initiating Emerald Razor strike, so this attack is resolved as a touch attack. Power Attacking for the HOUSE!!!!!!!
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Wow...crappy roll. Do note that if the commander's size did in fact change, his touch AC would drop by 2 points. 1 for the -2 dex, and 1 for the general size modifier. If that does still miss, I'm prepared to use the reroll from my Gloves of Fortunate Striking.

Salvonus
2009-05-16, 07:42 AM
Not trusting the shimmering wall in front of him, Radamus attempted to dispel any active magical spells in the area. The Dwarf's spell of invisibility faded as his magical energy was diverted towards removing active spells from the area.

Standard Action: Radamus casts Dispel Magic. Included within the 20 ft radius burst is the door-wall, the enemy spellcasters, and the enemy commander.

(Radamus is no longer invisible.)

I don't know how many active spells are going on in the current area, so I'll leave you to roll the dispel checks. Radamus' modifier in this case is +6.

Simba
2009-05-18, 12:31 AM
Drenmar charges the leader, getting in a solid hit.

Verbena uses a Wand to close some of her wounds while Cyrus slithers across the battlefield as fast as he can, coiling around soldier S9, once more taking an enemy out of the fight.

Nadina runs over to Gakath and touches his shoulder briefly. Gakath feels the warmth of healing magic running through him as some of his wounds close.

Then he places a mighty swing axactly where it hurts the most, cleaving almost through his enemy and smashing him against the wall. Astoundingly, S11 remains upright, recovering almost instantly.

Marr turns to face S8, landing a solid blow, hurting the soldier.

Then Radamus fades in again as he chants in a long forgotten language. The shimmering wall in front of him dissolves as he finishes.

The commander of the soldiers turns towards him and mutters "Too much, too much!" as he falls to his knees once more, now feeling the effects of his massive wounds. Numerous tranclucent figures stream out of his body, milling around for a second or two, trying in vain to take over one of you before dissolving.

Soldier S8 runns past Marr, a look of desperation on his face. He obviously tries to reach the door leading onwards. Seeing this, soldier S10 drops his crossbow and tries to run a swell, charging past Radamus who gets knocked aside.

The casters in the next room continue with their chanting, withdrawing further backwards. The tone of their voices intensifies, becoming more urgent, more powerful.

The situation as it is now:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0930/CaveFight_round7.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0930/CaveFight_round7)

Gmonkey
2009-05-19, 09:52 AM
AoO:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Simba
2009-05-19, 11:37 AM
The soldier runs right into Marr's sword, impaling himself in the process. As Marr turns with him he slips off the blade and stumbles on for a few steps before falling down hard in the middle of the room. His spirit can be seem leaving the body, hovering shortly before entering the body of his surviving commerade in the door.

Keld Denar
2009-05-19, 12:12 PM
Gakath moves around Drenmar, plants himself in a stone footed stance, and makes a single attack at S8. Following the attack, he performs a dramatic flourish which leaves him in a neutral position with all maneuvers recovered.

1 attack as a standard action, PA for 2, and recovering Warblade maneuvers.
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]
And, assuming there is something solid for him to hit when he lands....
[roll3]

Not quick enough, it seems.

EDIT: Since S8 is dead, I'll move up and cut down S10 if I can!

Gmonkey
2009-05-19, 01:48 PM
If S10 goes down, and assuming a clear line:

Quickly sizing up the dwindling martial threat, with one soldier being slowly crushed by Verbena's companion snake, and Gakath's foe no longer an issue, the threat now lay in the arcane power on the other side of the doorway. Steeling himself to the threat of sorcery, Marr spots an opening between his companions, charging through he calls on the power of his faith to lend strength to his blade as he levels a vicious swipe at the closest caster (S13)

[roll0]
[roll1]
Smiting evil, charging

If S10 is still up and/or the way is blocked:

Noting the arcane threat from the other side of the doorway, but unable to do anything about it currently, Marr runs up to take position by the doorway, calling on the power of Onderon he channels his small reserves of magical ability into closing the wounds on Gakath (Laying on Hands for 10), before taking cover from the spellcasters and readying himself to rush them with his next action, waving Drenmar away from the mage's line of sight

Dreamshifter
2009-05-19, 05:00 PM
S10 Lives:
Drenmar unleashes another flurry of blows, though he does not enhance this group with arcane energy.

He either misses or misinterprets Marr's gesture, or isn't concerned with the casters.

S10 is Dead:
Drenmar, unable to move past the doorway, pulls his bow and fires an arrow at one of the more distant casters.

[roll4] tohit, [roll5] damage, unless firing past Marr counts as "firing into melee), in which case, -4 on the attack roll.

Ezeze
2009-05-19, 10:04 PM
Verbena mutters "Cyrus. Guard." and the snake releases his latest victim to return to his master, coiling about her feet as the woman continues to heal herself, apparently unconcerned with the fighting beyond the door - at least for now.

[roll0]

Simba
2009-05-20, 03:02 AM
Before you can seriously hurt them, the casters' chanting reaches a high note and then comes to an end. In the middle of the room, behind you all, something big appears, displacing the air with a loud woosh. As you turn to see what it might be you are confronted with a fearsome sight:

You see a creature that seems to be a combination of dragon and giant, with the lower body of a dragon and the torso and the upper body of a giant. The creature is easily large enough to fill most of the room. It stands on 4 massive legs, ending in claws that look like they could shred anything in their way. Its long tail twitches behind it. It is covered in scales the color of dried blood while the scaly skin of the upper body is a tanned bronze. In each of its hands it holds a huge sword that radiates with sinister energy. On it's head 2 horns can be seen.

As you recover from the shock of its sudden appearence it lets out a roar that shakes the room, then moves to attack you.

The mages in the next room join hands and disappear in a flash. As you realize that they are no longer a direct threat you turn and confront the - "slightly modified" - Dracotaur.

Here is the situation for now:

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0880/CaveFight_round8.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0880/CaveFight_round8)

King Tius
2009-05-21, 05:53 PM
Nadina lets out a loud expletive and grabs her holy symbol. Raising it into the air above her, she casts Prayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prayer.htm).

Dreamshifter
2009-05-25, 01:37 AM
The magical prayer guiding him, Drenmar charges the foul beast.
"Begone foul beast!"

Ok, burning his final 2nd level spell for the day, charging, prayer bonus added in. And using his second Stunning fist (of 3) for the day.

[roll0] tohit, [roll1] damage, Stunning Fist DC is 12 :smallfrown:, unless it works of Cha like AC does (which would make it 19).

Salvonus
2009-05-25, 02:20 AM
Seeking to minimise the creature's combat ability, Radamus mentally took stock of his arcane talents. Transmutation was hardly his speciality, but he did know of a spell that could reduce the threat this creature posed. Tugging at the whirling strands of pure arcane energy in his soul, the Dwarf wove a metaphorical net in his mind. Directing his "net" to cover the Dracotaur and entangle it, Radamus only hoped that his specialisation in Illusion hadn't rendered his other spells too weak to affect this formidable foe.

Radamus casts Slow on the Dracotaur. DC 18 :smallfrown: Will Save.

Ezeze
2009-05-25, 09:17 AM
The strange woman chants in a foreign tongue as an unnatural wind whips up in the room. Her hair blows wildly, a funnel-shaped cloud forming just over the creature's head. Her voice reaches a crescendo as a single bolt of lightning arcs the distance between the clouds and the dragon with an ear-splitting boom.

Cyrus, for his part, waits only for the lightning to have passed, then charges the creature.

Verbena casts Call Lightning on the Dracotaur. Dealing [roll0] damage, allows a reflex save for half.
She uses Born of the Three Thunders, so the damage is half Electricity and half Sonic. He has to make a Fortitude save or be stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned) for one round. If he fails that he has to make a Reflex save or be knocked prone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone).
Then she activates her Veil of Storms, dealing [roll1] damage to the Dracotaur as long as it has taken any damage from her Call Lightning spell, no save.
The DC for all saves is 18. Recall that Prayer is active, so the Dracotaur is at a -1 penalty.

Cyrus charges the Dracotaur.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Keld Denar
2009-05-25, 10:32 AM
Impressed by the might of his companions, Gakath advances on the Dracotaur, moving straight up to it.

FOR THE NORTH! he cries as suddenly his shoulder dips, sending his cloak flying before him as he brings his great sword spinning upwards in a mighty rising slash.

Power Attack for 6, Emerald Razor Strike (touch attack). Attacking AFTER Verbina's and Radamus' spells resolve (heh, I need the bonuses!)
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

After that, Gakath springs back [roll4] feet with a sudden leap. Best stay back from this thing!

Gmonkey
2009-05-25, 11:00 AM
Still shocked into slowness at the creature summoned, Marr is brought to action by the northener's war cry. Hefting his sword he runs into combat, focusing on the other side to Gakath, trying to distract and flank.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Simba
2009-05-26, 01:32 AM
As the huge beast materializes Nadina shouts a prayer, calling on her powers to srengthen her allies while weakening her foes.

Drenmar charges, hitting the Dracotaur with a solid blow, but failing to stun the huge beast.

Radamus chants a slow spell and the creatures movement becomes sluggish.

Verbena throws lightning against the monster, causing massive burns and stunning it, causing it to fall down, where Cyrus ahs a chance to entangle one of its massive arms.

Gakath runs up to the monster, landing a brutal slash across the Dracotaur's body, jumping back before it can react.

Marr runs to the monster's flank, slicing at its side and opening a long gash there.

The situation after your turn (and before the next one, the beast is stunned, slowed and prone - have fun!):

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0325/CaveFight_round9.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0325/CaveFight_round9)

Dreamshifter
2009-05-26, 02:44 AM
Striking while he has the chance, Drenmar dances to his left, then lashes out quickly, channeling what little remaining arcane power he has left.

Burning another first level spell slot (all of 2 slots remaining :smalleek:), and going for a Flurry on the downed foe, after taking a 5 foot step south east.

+2 to hit on each if he is in a position to flank with Marr.

Gmonkey
2009-05-26, 04:21 AM
Taking advantage of the distraction as Drenmar attacks, Marr responds in kind, in lieu of any better idea he reverses his grip on his sword, stabbing down in the hope of piercing the toughened scales of the magical beast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

After his stab, Marr retreats, dancing back as he tries to keep an eye on the still waving swords of his enemy, relaxing into a defensive pose just in front of Verbena.

King Tius
2009-05-26, 09:51 AM
Eager to continue casting but worried about losing all her healing magic, Nadina instead throws her javelin (which is magical).

OOG: Don't forget Prayer! +1 on virtually every roll you make.a

Ezeze
2009-05-26, 10:38 AM
Verbena plants the butt of her spear against the ground, leaning on it until her ears cease to ring from the effort. Cyrus strikes again.

Dazed from using Born of the Three Thunders. If the creature is still prone, melee attacks against him have +4 in addition to the +1 from Nadia's prayer.

The Dracotaur has a -2 from being stunned as well as loosing his Dex to AC, and another -1 from being slowed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Keld Denar
2009-05-26, 01:30 PM
Calling on Nordal and charging back into the fray, Gakath leaps, slashing at the stunned creature with a MASSIVE overhand chop. Twisting away as the blade bites deep, Gakath lands with his knees bent, power coursing through his bulging muscles, ready to be unleashed visciously against the creature.

Charge, Power Attack for 6 against the stunned, prone, and slowed creature.
[roll0] [roll1]
At the end of the attack, recover manevuers as a swift action.

Salvonus
2009-05-27, 12:53 AM
Running low on his reserves of arcane power, Radamus simply stood back for a minute, wishing to evaluate the situation. Immensely pleased with his success in casting a difficult transmution spell, the Dwarf allowed himself a small grin.

I really don't have any spells worth casting, at this point. :smalltongue:

Simba
2009-05-27, 01:20 AM
Drenmar moves left, flanking the huge monster, and strikes the downed foe with a flurry of blows.

Marr moves on the other side, stabbing at it with all his might before retreating to cover Verbena.

Nadina throws her magical Javelin, hitting the Dracotaur in the torso. The Javelin then returns to her, appearing in her hands once more.

While Verbena recovers from her last action, Cyrus bites at the monster's tough leg and constricts it, rendering it even less mobile.

Gakath storms in once more, landing a massive blow on the creature before landing with a flourish, standing right in front of the realing beast.

Radamus retreats a little more into the corner, unable to further hurt the creature.

The Dracotaur slowly rises to its feat again, in obvious pain. It regards Gakath standing right in front of it and growls.

The situation after round 10:

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0038/CaveFight_round10.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0038/CaveFight_round10)

Simba
2009-05-27, 01:25 AM
The Dracotaur is still slowed, but it has some fight left in it. Raising one of its swords high, it slashes at Garkath, scoring a solid hit.

Your turn!

Gmonkey
2009-05-27, 04:39 AM
Seeing the creature apparently on its last legs, and Gakath hit by a vicious blow, Marr charges in to distract it from the northener. Calling on Onderon to watch his sword, he aims for the same weakened point with a powerful thrust.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dreamshifter
2009-05-27, 07:14 AM
Hoping the others can finish the beast, Drenmar makes a single jab at it's leg to distract it further, while moving toward it's rear.

5' step south.
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage.

Ezeze
2009-05-27, 11:56 AM
Cyrus strikes at the Dracotaur once more, than slithers away as Verbena calls another bolt of lightning from the storm cloud over head.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4] (reflex for half)

Keld Denar
2009-05-27, 12:05 PM
Determined to lop the thing's head from its goofy looking shoulders, Gakath releases his coiled energy leaping high and slashing hard. The blade flickers for a moment, seemingly immaterial as it whistles through the dungeon air.

Emerald Razor strike (touch attack), PA for 6.
[roll0] [roll1]

Keld Denar
2009-05-27, 12:07 PM
NAT 20!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[roll0] [roll1]

Simba
2009-05-27, 12:49 PM
Marr, Drenmar and Cyrus continue to attack the Dracotaur while Verbena calls one more bolt of lightning from the clouds. The monster reels, but still stands.

Then Gakath steps in once more, his blade flashing as it strikes true, cutting the giant head from the monster's shoulders. With a great clash the Dracotaur falls, defeated once and for all.

As silence settles over the room once more you realize that the fight is over. No more enemies attack, at least for now. You all catch your breath, recovering from the excertion of combat.

On the floor the heavy blades of the fallen behemoth slowly lose their dark aura. Both blades look normal once again, except for a weak glow that both weapons still emit. The feeling of evil that Marr felt is gone from the weapons.

Gmonkey
2009-05-28, 04:37 AM
As the group heave a collective sigh of relief, Marr wipes his blade on the beast as he closes his eyes, feeling out with his other senses for more evil creatures, feeling nothing he resheathes his blade. "We seem to be safe, for now. I sense no evil present, but with all this rock around us I can't be certain. We must decide if we rest here and risk attack, or press on. Though with our injuries, and the power the mages have expended, I would propose we risk the stop, I put it to the group." A slow bow of the head indicates he has given his thoughts, but will go with the group opinion.

King Tius
2009-05-28, 10:16 AM
Nadina

"I agree. I can provide what healing magics I have left as we rest, but I would feel better if we continued on with fresh spells and spirits. If they can summon beasts such as that" she indicates the dracotaur corpse, "we'll need to be at the top of our game."

Simba
2009-05-28, 11:56 AM
As you look around you are quite sure that this room - with all the dead bodies lying around - is not ideal to rest up. You could press on and see if there is anything better suited in the next room or beyond or go back into the caves. A little scouting might just help you decide here!

Dreamshifter
2009-05-28, 04:43 PM
"While I will continue if we make that decision, I wound not mind enough rest to refocus my mind. Though, I think that another location would be best. All this blood does not make for easy meditation. Perhaps there is another location nearby? Though that would mean someone scouting, probably by themselves..."

Keld Denar
2009-05-28, 09:12 PM
I do not know of this place, so I do not know whether or not it would be wise to rest here. I am badly injured, but if we have some magical healing we can spare, I would be willing to continue on. There is the matter of the mages who already know of our presence. If they have divined that we have bested their monster, they might come looking for us, and if we return in the morning, new defenses may be set against us.

Man, now I remember what I was gonna buy in town...A FREAKIN HEALING BELT!!!! GAHHHHHH

Gmonkey
2009-05-29, 02:29 AM
"My apologies Mister Gakath, I possess some healing power but not enough to close all these wounds, I will do what I can." As Marr walks to Gakath, he closes his eyes and mumbles a prayer to Onderon as his hands are covered in a holy light that closes many of the smaller wounds Gakath sustained as he runs his hands above them. "Perhaps Master Radamus, it might be best to take you up on your earlier offer of scouting, though none I think would blame you thinking twice after that fight"

Simba
2009-06-04, 01:34 AM
After some discussion you leave the room through the caves and go back up, where Audr is waiting with the horses. She heals you all up quickly while you describe the things you found - and fought - below the keep.

"Nothing has happened here in the meantime. It is very quiet. I looked into the courtyard and it looks empty! Please hurry if you can, I need to get back to Riversend as soon as possible" she adds, "They are waiting for me there!"

The inner walls of the fortress still look unocupied, empty arrowslits and unmanned rampants everywhere. What's your next step? Back down into the caves or directly into the courtyard?

Keld Denar
2009-06-04, 12:37 PM
I say we continue on as we were. I believe we were close to uncovering something about the nature of this strange fortress. Honor dictates that we must return and get to the bottom of these strange happenings. Are you all with me?

Without looking to see if the others are following, Gakath turns on his heel and starts marching back into the cave, his massive sword leading the way.

Simba
2009-06-05, 12:59 AM
You all return to the cave and then the room where you fought the Dracotaur. The corpses and all their equipment are still there. The room is heavy with the stink of death. The door to the next room is still open, it looks like noone has been here since you left.

Dreamshifter
2009-06-06, 01:15 AM
"Onward we go." Drenmar takes up his position near the rear, this time drawing his bow.

Gmonkey
2009-06-07, 12:30 PM
Nodding agreement, Marr draws his sword and hurries to join Gakath

Simba
2009-06-08, 01:17 AM
You walk on, passing the great carcass and entering the next room. It is empty, traces of a used chalk pentagram on the floor. A door leads into a corridor that is about 60' long and has many doors opening left and right. It looks somewhat like an underground barracks, with quarters, a coomon room and a kitchen. You find a lot of supplies and some weapons and armor, but no people or traps.

At the far end of the corridor you find stairs leading up. You guess you must be somewhere under the building housing the gate you found open when you first arrived.

Simba
2009-06-08, 02:10 AM
As you slowly and quietly walk up the steps you find yourself in a tower overlooking the open area where you can see Audr and your horses on one side and the area between the 2 walls on the other side. All the windows are arrowslits, too narrow to climb through. You are about 6' above ground and there is a door - propably leading out onto the wall - one floor above you.

The courtyard between the walls is empty of all life, but a few corpses can be seen lying around, buzzing with flies, rotting in the sun.

About 60' away you can see the inside of another wall, this one more massive and higher than the inner one. It has a gate in the middle that is barred from the inside and towers at both ends.

Dreamshifter
2009-06-08, 03:29 PM
Looking things over, Drenmar ponders the situation. "I half expect the dead to walk once we get near. I suppose the next step is to open the gate? Or do we leave it closed and find a way over it? In either case, that would be our next stop. Up to the door, comrades."

Simba
2009-06-09, 01:58 AM
As you climb the stairs to the next level you see that it does indeed serve as an access to the top of the inner wall. You step out onto the parapet and see that is is built to defend against threats from both sides. The outer wall looks the same. It seems that the double walls were built to trap attackers between them.

Keld Denar
2009-06-09, 02:29 AM
We must get to the bottom of this!

Gakath proceeds onwards!

Simba
2009-06-09, 02:41 AM
You walk over the parapet and reach the massive gatehouse above the open inner gate. A massive door leads into the building, leading to a big room above the gates. You see that the opening mechanisms for both gates (one on each side of the inner wall) seems in perfect condition. The inner gate is open as well and both porticullis' are raised. a series of murder holes looks down on the tunnel leading through the wall.

There is a door leading to the other side of the wall and a stairway leading down into the lower levels of the gatehouse.

Dreamshifter
2009-06-09, 02:43 AM
Drenmar stares at the other wall, trying to detect even slight movement."I don't like this. It feels like a trap..."

Simba
2009-06-09, 02:47 AM
It has the setup of a trap, allright. Once someone gets into the area between the gates they are an easy target for archers on both walls. Should someone close the gates behind them they would be trapped there.

No movement can be detected on either wall.

Salvonus
2009-06-09, 02:53 AM
Shifting closer to Drenmar, Radamus whispered into the Monk's ear. "Perhaps I should use a spell of invisibility and inspect for traps... If I appear to return the way we came, I could always sneak back under the cover of my magic and investigate the apparent trap without risking any of your necks."

"Besides, mate, I'm a hardy fellow and can take more than a few blows if things go wrong," Radamus whispered, winking at the taller man. "What do you say? Keep it on the hush - we don't want to tip off any listeners..."

(OOC: Holy CRAP, Gold text is a bad idea. Changing to... Plum?)

Dreamshifter
2009-06-09, 02:58 AM
Drenmar nods slightly, but says nothing in response. Turning to the others, he asks "I see nothing, any of you see anything over there?"

Salvonus
2009-06-09, 03:19 AM
"No... You know, I don't trust it. Smells rotten to me. I'm going to go scout for an alternative route, lads and lasses. Stay put in the meantime, aye? I'll be quick about it," Radamus declared to the group.

Hustling back down the way the group had come, Radamus ducked around a corner and made sure that no one was watching. Silently muttering words of the arcane language, he swiftly veiled his visage from the eyes of those restriction to the material plane. Silently sneaking back to the group, he gingerly avoided his gathered allies. Coming up to the gates, Radamus began to search for mechanical traps and for signs of recent passage. Straining his ears, he sought any telltale sounds of concealed watchers.

[roll0] (+9 ranks, +2 Dex, +20 invisibility)
[roll1]

[edit]Sorry! That listen check should be +2 higher - Radamus has "Silencing Boots" on, effectively a Masterwork tool for Move Silently. :smalltongue:

Listen modifier is +0, Spot modifier is +4. I assume you'll want to roll those yourself. :smallsmile:

[edit2]Oh, Search modifier... Actually, that's more appropriate for finer details! +16 modifier. :smallbiggrin:

Simba
2009-06-09, 03:29 AM
Radamus sneaks around, looking for traps and hidden people, finding none. The gatehouse seems to be empty, except for your group. There is no dust, so it seems that the room - as all the rest of the fortress - were well-maintained.

As you look out over the area between the walls one of the about 20 bodies seems to twitch a little, but that might just be your imagination.

Salvonus
2009-06-09, 03:32 AM
No longer attempting to be silent or stealthy, the still-invisible Radamus ambled up to Drenmar's side. "Well, can't find anything around here, mate! Coulda sworn I saw one of those bodies outside move, though. Anyone here a good shot with a bow? Stick an arrow into some of those corpses, eh? I'd do it myself, but I'm a bit of a pathetic shot, yeah?"

Dreamshifter
2009-06-09, 03:36 AM
Since his bow is already drawn, Drenmar quickly draws and fires an arrow.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Salvonus
2009-06-09, 03:40 AM
"Nice shot, eh mate? Better with your bow than your fists, now there's a sight for one like you!" Radamus nudged Drenmar, evidently viewing him as a new-found co-conspirator.

Dreamshifter
2009-06-09, 03:43 AM
Drenmar grins. "Well, I spent a lot of hours practicing with the bow. My fists, less so, actually. More focus was put into mastering the arcane energies I use to enhance them. However, I think now that I might have neglected the actual combat part a bit too much. I'll have to fix that. Especially since the arcane power I can draw on is so limited..."

Simba
2009-06-09, 03:47 AM
Drenmar fires an arrow into one of the corpses, resulting in a deep wound and a roar of pain as the 'corpse' jumps up and runs towards the outer gatehouse and you, on top of the wall. After a second all the other 'corpses' follow suit, shattering the illusion of peaceful repose that had you fooled for a moment.

About 20 enemy soldiers storm towards the gatehouse. You see 2 stairs leading up from the yard, both made of wood and prepared to be easily collapsed. You know of the stairs inside the gatehouse, but have no idea where they lead. And there is the other side of the wall, beyond the gatehouse, where you have not checked for enemies yet.

Salvonus
2009-06-09, 03:48 AM
"Ah, myself, I can't hit a thing close-up. Not enough force in these arms, or sommat. Terrible thing, really. You get dependant on stealth, spells, and trickery when you're a weakling like me, mate!"

Dreamshifter
2009-06-09, 08:26 AM
Drenmar takes the opportunity to fire off a few more arrows, commenting "Well, it is good to be right. Though, I'd rather have been wrong..."

If possible, make attacks on the enemy while they are charging. I'll make a couple rolls, make of them what you will.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

Maybe he can hit something else!:smallwink:

Gmonkey
2009-06-09, 09:52 AM
Running to hold the top of the stairs, "I agree! Collapse the stairs, we can hold them off and move through the gatehouse!

Preparing to attack the first enemy up the stairs, Marr holds himself ready, sword held low and shield in front as he spots the closest enemy closing.

[roll0] (Assuming +2 for elevation)
[roll1]

Ezeze
2009-06-11, 11:22 AM
[roll0]

Verbena raises her arm in a simple gesture and the grasses of the court yard curl up around the "corpses" feet

The spell covers a 40-ft radius. If that is not enough to get all of them, she uses "Sudden Widen" and it covers a 60-ft radius. If that is still not enough to get all of them, she settles for as many as she can get - focusing, if she can, on the closer ones.

DC 16 Reflex Save and they are restricted to half their movement speed instead of entangled. (Note, the spell is Reflex Partial, not Half, so Evasion and Improved Evasion do not apply.)
An entangled "corpse" can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check.
If one of them makes the reflex save, they have to continue to make them on my turn every round they stay in the radius of the spell.

Simba
2009-06-15, 03:47 AM
Here is the layout, I will add damage and effects later, when I have more time. Some are damaged and most of the soldiers are caught in Verbena's Widened effect.

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0934/CoutyardFight_round1.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0934/CoutyardFight_round1)

Keld Denar
2009-06-15, 04:36 AM
[roll0]

Just gettin that out of my way...

Simba
2009-06-15, 04:55 AM
You are all free to act for this round, I will start with initiatives next round.

Keld Denar
2009-06-15, 03:30 PM
Gakath stows his blade, and pulls a massive long bow from his shoulder.

One action to sheath the sword, another to draw the bow. Done.

Salvonus
2009-06-16, 03:21 PM
A swirl of purple-coloured eldritch energy surrounded Radamus' hands as the Dwarf began a series of arcane incantations. Perspiration flowed freely down his brow as the act of impromptu channeling served to severely tax his corporeal existence.

"Disappear to the spirit realm!" Radamus cried out wildly, his outstretched finger pointing at the staircase immediately in front of him. It began to slowly disappear, seemingly turning ethereal in appearance; concurrently, the other nearby staircase began to do the same. Within a space of a few seconds, both were completely gone, transferred into some ethereal state beyond the veil of mortal eyes.

Radamus casts Silent Image in an area centred just below the wall to replace the visual image of the staircases with a close approximation of what the wall/ground would look like if there were no staircases there. Effectively, the illusion exists in a continuous space below the wall. DC 19 to disbelieve if interacted with. :smalltongue:

Simba
2009-06-17, 12:52 AM
Moving slowly, hindered by the grabbing plants, the enemy soldiers turn around and move towards the stairs on the other side of the gate tower.

Those of you with ranged weapons have a few rounds of free shots, dropping 3 soldiers and injuring 2 more.

Salvonus
2009-06-17, 01:56 AM
While his companions were busy sniping at the enemy soldiers, Radamus made his own preparations for the inevitable confrontation. After a brief moment of meditation, Radamus began to expend the last vestiges of higher arcane energy contained within his body. Closing his eyes, Radamus began to chant the words of power that would imbue his allies with otherworldly speed and ability. Radamus' inner eye could visualise the arcane power that he held within his hands; dexterously, he wove those tendrils of energy into the shape of many tiny thunderbolts. With a final gesture, Radamus threw his hands skyward, releasing those small constructs of astral lightning into the sky.

With his inner sight, Radamus could see the souls of each of his allies - they were faint, flickering entities, but their presence was, nonetheless, detectable. Commanding mastery over those tiny, invisible thunderbolts, Radamus marshalled them as a general might marshal his troops; each spark of eldritch energy dispersed to a single one the Dwarf's companions, settling within each ally's soul-spark. In a sudden explosion of indescribable colours, each thunderbolt rapidly expanded into a mesh-like framework surrounding each subject of Radamus' incantation. Each structure rapidly melded into the physical form of the Dwarf's allies, subtly altering their bodies; sinews temporarily strengthened, neural connections were fine-tuned, magically-infused adrenaline began to flow, and hearts began to beat with increased rapidity.

Radamus casts Haste on everyone!

Simba
2009-06-17, 02:10 AM
Those of you with ranged weapons have a few rounds of free shots, dropping 3 soldiers and injuring 2 more.

Edit: As you are under the effect of Radamus' Haste spell make that 5 dead and 4 injured soldiers.

All enemy soldiers go for either the gatehouse or the other side of the wall, trying to find a way up as both stairs leading up on your side have disappeared (Nice idea!).

Simba
2009-06-18, 07:44 AM
Here is the situation as the last of the soldiers struggel to gain the protection of the buildings:

http://f.imagehost.org/t/0924/CoutyardFight_round5.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0924/CoutyardFight_round5)

Keld Denar
2009-06-18, 09:21 AM
Gakath

Gakath drops his bow, loosing his greatsword from its sheath. Turning to the door to his right, he opens it, peering inside.

Can I see the door across the way? If so, I'd like to move toward it and use it as a choke point.

Simba
2009-06-18, 10:10 AM
You find the other door easily, the room above the gate is only partially filled with mechanisms to operate it. As you move over to the door you can see 3 rows of murderholes over the gates. You find that there is a massive lock on the door and 3 heavy bars that can be placed to block it in times of need. The gatehouse itself is massive, designed to withstand assault even in cases when the courtyard is overrun.