PDA

View Full Version : Multiple-Character Feats

AetherFox
2009-03-09, 06:45 PM
Hello again playground!

So recently, I had the idea for a series of feats that involve multiple adventurers working together in a way otherwise impossible. (No, these are NOT leadership based feats!)

Here is one of my ideas; I'd love any brutally honest feedback and/or more ideas. Especially more ideas.

Redirect Spell
Prerequisites: Maximum of 3 characters
Ability to cast 3rd level spells.
Ability score that determines DC of spells 15

Benefit: This feat allows a spellcaster to aim a spell, regardless of its range, provided it is not "personal", at an ally spellcaster who has also taken this feat. The primary spellcaster must be within 30 unobstructed feet of the targeted spellcaster. If the primary caster is with 60 unobstructed feet, he must make a ranged touch attack on the targetted caster. Firing the spell is the same action as the spell itself, and provokes an attack of oppertunity
Once the Secondary spellcaster has been 'hit' with the spell, (although he suffers no effects of the spell) he may, as an immediate action that provokes an attack of oppertunity, redirect the effect at either one other caster, continuing the chain, or at a target, who then suffers the effect of the spell. The range remains the same as the original, and all components based on caster level, such as DCs, are the same as if the original caster had used it.
If a spell has multiple portions, such as magic missle, which can shoot more than one ray, the original caster can target multiple separate secondary casters.
The casters need not cast the same type of spell, however, a caster cannot redirect a spell they are prohibited from casting.
For each person the spell is redirected to, the DC increases by 2.

Draz74
2009-03-09, 06:57 PM
I like the overall concept, but your example is way underwhelming. A whole group of casters takes a feat each, just so they can cooperate to extend spells' Range or spot for each other around corners? Burning precious immediate actions along the way? Too weak.

Kylarra
2009-03-09, 07:22 PM
For the example feat, I think that each chained iteration should do something to spell itself. Maybe boost the save DC? That way you're at least getting something for your magical gymnastics. :smalleek:

MageSparrowhawk
2009-03-09, 07:25 PM
how about...each spell can be chained? e.g. first person casts magic missile at partner, who then can redirect it, and in the process burn one of her own magic missile spells to cast both from her location...

AetherFox
2009-03-09, 07:25 PM
Hmmm... Ok, I can see how it'd be kind of underpowered. I'llmake it so the DC goes up every person they redirect to.

pyrefiend
2009-03-09, 07:32 PM
I agree, the feat is too weak. I'd lower the ability to cast 3rd level spells prerequisite to 2nd level spells. I don't think it's necessary that the actual caster of the spell take the feat, either. What training does taking the feat represent for him, if all he's doing is casting the spell at his friend? That said, you probably don't want the character with this feat to be able to deflect anyone's rays, so you might want to add a clause in there preventing that. Something about the character needing to train specifically with another, specific spellcaster.

Also, "Maximum of 3 characters" should be included in the benefit section, because it doesn't make sense as an actual prerequisite for the feat.

On the subject of feats... maybe something for rogues that lets them take greater advantage of enemies tied up in melee with the other adventurers? I'm thinking that the rogue would train with specific PCs, and then be able to sneak attack enemies who were tripped, bull rushed, or incapacitated by those PCs as an immediate action.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-10, 01:47 AM
There are a few of these in published sources. I'm pretty sure there are others, but here are a few I dug up on short notice.

From the Complete Arcane:
"Cooperative Spell" - Increased DC and SR penetration for a spell cast by multiple casters together. All casters must apply this metamagic feat to the spell in order to participate.

From Races of the Wild:
"Coordinated Strike" - When your animal companion or special mount attacks a target in melee, you get a +1 bonus to hit that target. (I'd houserule this to include familiars, too)

"Wolfpack" - A tactical feat that allows a group of coordinated melee fighters to select from bonuses including free Attacks of Opportunity, a cooperative Bull Rush, or increased AC vs their target. All members of the group must possess this feat in order to gain the benefits.

The Player’s Guide to Faerûn contains an epic feat called "Improved Cooperative Metamagic", although I don't have the book to look up specifics.

Also, I seem to recall one called "Like Mind" that gave a bonus for its users to pass messages via Innuendo, although I don't remember where the feat came from.

As for homebrews, I'd suggest the following:

"Redirect Attention" - Any number of characters can participate in the benefits of this feat, provided they possess the feat. In order to work, one member of the group must be the taunter, directing attention from the others to give them an opening to attack. He or she must make a Bluff check (damage dealt by this character to this opponent in this round may be added as a bonus to the check). If successful, all other attackers may make a sneak attack on their turn, with a +1d6 bonus to damage.

"Piercing Spell" - This feat is designed to help overcome an opponent's spell penetration. Two members are required for this feat, and both must possess the feat. One member, the caster, casts any spell at the other, who has delayed his/her action in preparation for this. The other member, the piercer, strikes at the target using a piercing weapon. Upon a successful strike, the spell goes off as normal, and gets a bonus to overcoming SR equal to the damage of the piercing strike. Note that any piercing weapon may be used for this, including both melee and ranged.