PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Vs. Ansom *Probable spoilers*

Guru_jake
2009-03-10, 03:15 PM
If you've read the new comic, you know Ansom just got knocked on his royal behind.

Now assuming he survives because, you know, Parson's probably gonna have Sizemore yank Ansom and Bogroll underground as soon as they hit the ground I think he'll probably get pissed at Charlie.

Why? Because Charlie knew it was a trick, and still told Ansom about it, causing that turn of events.

Not only that, but Parson alluded to a "hidden ally" among Ansom's coalition, which at the time included Charlie (Granted, he passed it off as a tired trick at the time.) Shortly after Charlie left temporarily, and when he came back, he made Parson's safety a condition. Now if Ansom tries putting the pieces together, and he will if he survives, they all seem to point (falsely, might I add) at Charlie having a secret alliance with Parson.

Is this finally a twist in the plans that are going in Parson's favor?

Kholdstare
2009-03-11, 09:03 PM
I doubt that Ansom survived.

Either way Bogroll would not have leveled up. Game rules before story.

Fjolnir
2009-03-11, 09:50 PM
ansom is dead, and bogroll leveled twice and was promptly smashed for it, a shame

Guru_jake
2009-03-12, 02:14 AM
such a shame boggy died.
this thread is now irrelevant though. it was made before the new comic if you notice.

dr pepper
2009-03-12, 02:43 PM
ansom is dead, and bogroll leveled twice and was promptly smashed for it, a shame

Promptly? I doubt it. I'm sure he got a few club shots in before the mob overwhelmed him.

And yeah, i too hope that the collapsing ground put out the fire so Bogroll can regen.

Leewei
2009-03-12, 08:59 PM
Regarding the Alliance:
The archons supposedly cannot switch zones to assist the alliance forces until the next turn. Gobwin Knob has not yet acted. I'm pretty sure this means that Hamster gets to mulch and reanimate the ground forces, plus lay claim to the Arkenpliers before Charlie can do squat.

Regarding Charlie:
With Ansom dead, it's extremely likely the Alliance's survivors will trade the Arkenpliers for a chance to escape. Bogroll's death puts Hamster in a very uncharitable mood. Charlie's will likely call in another calculation or two to gauge his chances, whereupon he'll take his ill-earned schmuckers and Archons, and leave.

Regarding Stanley:
Stanley will return to find Gobwin Knob reduced to a dungeon and soaked in the blood of its attackers. While irate that the capital was badly damaged, he will grudgingly accept that his Chief Warlord has pulled off something he considered unwinnable.

Possible complications:
Stanley will return to find himself ambushed by the archons. Charlie, obviously attempting to collect additional Arkentools. In fact, Charlie might capture Stanley and the Foolamancer, then trade Stanley for the Arkenpliers, thus ending up with at least three of the 'Tools.

Kreistor
2009-03-14, 04:30 PM
With Ansom dead, it's extremely likely the Alliance's survivors will trade the Arkenpliers for a chance to escape.

Likely? No, I don't think that's likely. Parson has nothing to follow them with. He's pressed deep into dungeon, where a small force can hold his own off, while the majority escape. Parson's advantage in defense, tight corridors where few can defend against many, are also RCC's advantage when they choose to withdraw.

[quote]Stanley will return to find himself ambushed by the archons. Charlie, obviously attempting to collect additional Arkentools. In fact, Charlie might capture Stanley and the Foolamancer, then trade Stanley for the Arkenpliers, thus ending up with at least three of the 'Tools.

No, Jack is with Stanley. He'll fly right past the Archons, and they'll never know.

SteveMB
2009-03-14, 04:43 PM
No, Jack is with Stanley. He'll fly right past the Archons, and they'll never know.

Yes, they would. "Jaclyn probably would've warned him that was a Twoll with a veil on it."
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0144.html)

Kreistor
2009-03-14, 04:51 PM
Yes, they would. "Jaclyn probably would've warned him that was a Twoll with a veil on it."

A veil from a scroll or a non-Foolamancer Thinkamancer's spell. Jack veiled entire cities. He's the best. He hid Stanley from Caesar and his forces making them think a dwagon had been killed and the Hammer could fly two people straight up. He's capable of fooling the Archons long enough for Stanley to link up with Parson next day. They'll also be having to deal with whatever defenses Parson can muster, so it's not like watching for a veiled Stanley will be their highest priority. I have the feeling Wanda will be prioritizing archery units tomorrow for uncroaking... if Parson survives, the Archons'll be the biggest threat.

Leewei
2009-03-15, 08:12 PM
The Archons' ability to detect Jack is certainly in doubt. Were it merely Jack sneaking past them, my money would be on him. My proposed scenario was based more on the relative certainty of Stanley doing something idiotic.

Fishy
2009-03-16, 11:28 AM
I'm not entirely sure that Charlie cares about the Arkenpliers. Yes, they're a chance to maximize profit, yes, they're handy, but they're not his top priority.

Yes, they're an artifact, but if Charlie were really willing to risk ticking people off to get his hands on artifacts, why didn't he send the Archons after Stanley- by all accounts a guaranteed kill- and ninja the Hammer? The truth is, the hammer and pliers are essentially nice melee weapons, and absolutely useless to Charlie.

Charlie doesn't have a lot of units: He knows all of his Archons by name. They're disgustingly powerful, but that's not the be-all and end-all in Erfworld, and he knows it. Charlescomm's entire 'paradigm' relies upon superior intelligence: He uses his lookamancy to find the best place to surgically apply Power Words, and then he gets the heck out. Charlie values smarts. Charlie wants Parson working for him.

Basically since he learned about Parson's bracer, he's been doing everything he can to get his hands on that particular artifact. Yes, he switched sides and royally booped Parson's side over, but I think that's part of his 'job interview'. If Parson can't outthink Charlie and find a way to beat superior numbers with superior tactics, then he dies horribly, but Charlie didn't really need him after all.

Also, and I don't know if he's aware of it, but Stanley and Jack are on their way back. If everyone survives and reunites, Parson has a Master-class Foolamancer and a Mathamancy Artifact. Suddenly, Charlie's intelligence advantage just evaporates. Parson could be a legitimate and serious threat to the wway he does business.

Bucky
2009-03-17, 02:00 PM
I think that the connection between Charlie and Parson goes much deeper than that of opposing warlords. In fact, there's a strong implication that
Information removed; do your own speculation.

Jural
2009-03-20, 08:51 PM
I think that the connection between Charlie and Parson goes much deeper than that of opposing warlords. In fact, there's a strong implication that
Information removed; do your own speculation.

Yep, I know exactly what you are getting at... M'Glad you think so.

ishnar
2009-03-21, 01:07 AM
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0144.html)

I think you're underestimating distractions. Someone doesn't even need to be invisible if the observer is looking in the wrong direction.

If the observer isn't allowed to scrutinize the veil long enough to pierce it, it would be even more effective.

Remember "Who's bats are those" ? and compare it to
"11 pairs of warlord eyes .... 30 units. about 300 chances to blow the veil." but they didn't actually blow the veil, they just concluded that it must be a veil. Jack is like a magician. He doesn't just use fast fingerwork, he keeps the observer from looking in the right direction to have a chance piercing the veil.