PDA

View Full Version : Foundation + Other Asimov

Dancing_Zephyr
2009-03-10, 09:22 PM
I've read Foundation and Prelude to Foundation and I'm wondering if the rest of the series is worth getting.
Also the Caves of Steel series.

Rutskarn
2009-03-10, 09:31 PM
Oh, damn, there's a set of sequels I really need to get a-reading.

Of course, almost everything the man writes is solid gold.

cody.burton
2009-03-10, 09:37 PM
Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation are pure gold.

Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth are books that he wrote ~30 years later and have a much more generic pulp sci-fi feel. Not up to his usual standards in my opinion.

Sneak
2009-03-10, 09:44 PM
I've only read Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation, the second prequel.

I liked them both, and I'll probably get around to reading Foundation and the rest of the series eventually.

And yes, I am aware that he wrote the rest of the series before the prequels...I like things in chronological order.

In any case, I recommend you read Forward the Foundation, at least.

Recaiden
2009-03-10, 10:22 PM
Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation are pure gold.

Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth are books that he wrote ~30 years later and have a much more generic pulp sci-fi feel. Not up to his usual standards in my opinion.

Exactly this. I found Foundation and Empire a little hard to get into, but once I did, it was a great book.

adanedhel9
2009-03-10, 10:22 PM
The original Foundation trilogy are among my favorite books. My dad had an omnibus of them that had drawn my attention since I was probably 8; at age 12 I finally tackled them, and they completely changed my definition of sci-fi.

But I didn't much like the sequels/prequels. I thought that Asimov was trying too hard to link everything together; the same applies to the last book in the Robots series (which I also love).

Alleine
2009-03-10, 10:23 PM
I think I've read most of the Foundation and Caves of Steel books, I think. I lurve 'em. Granted it was quite awhile ago that I read them. I think they're worth it. Asimov makes me :smallsmile:

Flame of Anor
2009-03-12, 08:38 AM
I've read Foundation and I'm in the middle of Foundation and Empire. Loving them so far!

Fiery Diamond
2009-03-12, 09:14 AM
Asimov = #1 Sci-Fi writer of 1900s.

The Robot Novels (Caves of Steel and Co.) are good, but I didn't think Robots of Dawn was as good as the others (I luv Baley).

Foundation Books are excellent.

Skippy
2009-03-12, 11:08 AM
THe whole Foundation series is awesome, I've loved them all and are part of my favorite books ever.

The Bailey/Olivaw books are also really cool, and they can also help you expand the Foundation universe. Or at least, the last one (Robots and Empire)

Joran
2009-03-12, 12:37 PM
I really liked the first three Foundation books, mainly for the powerful idea of psychohistory. However...

I would have preferred him to continue on the 1,000 year plan, although I read he stopped writing the stories because he didn't know how to end it. Instead, 30 years afterwards, it just seemed like he was hooking up the Foundation universe with the rest of his universe. I did like Forward the Foundation though.

I also really liked I, Robot, and the three laws of robotics. The movie should never have been branded with that name =P

Toastkart
2009-03-12, 03:29 PM
I also really liked I, Robot, and the three laws of robotics. The movie should never have been branded with that name =P

I agree. It was a pretty good movie, but it was so antithetical to Asimov's position of robots as not dangerous and not turning on mankind that I feel they should have named it something else. What makes the whole thing so unbearable is that they could have strung together the shorts stories in I, Robot, Robot Dreams, and Robot Visions into a cohesive movie with a good plot, and didn't.