PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - "Wounds? Check. Heal? Check. Teleport? Check."

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-11, 05:52 PM
Combat Medic
“Somebody call for a Medic?”

Prerequisites: Cleric Class, trained in Heal

You are a mobile healer, an expert at your profession. You support your first-aid skills with divine prayer and magic for maximum effects. Your god approves of your chosen path, and none can pry from you your righteous devotion to your patients. As battle rages all around you, you prefer to move around agilely, avoiding conflict and aiding those allies who fail to do the same.

Combat Medic Path Features

Healer’s Disposition (11th level): You gain an additional use of healing word once per encounter, though you can still only use it once per round.
Healer’s Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an action with the healing keyword, you can also teleport your speed before or after you take the action.
Healing Mastery (16th level): When you grant healing with one of your powers that has the Healing keyword, add your Charisma modifier to the hit points the recipient regains. In addition, add your Charisma modifier to your Heal check modifier.

Combat Medic Powers

Divine Escape
“You live to heal another wound, leaving the battle in a flash of blinding light and returning with a vengeance”“
Encounter * Divine, Radiant, Implement, Teleportation
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + wisdom modifier radiant damage and the target is blinded until the end of its next turn.
Effect: Teleport a number of squares equal to your speed.

Quickened Cure Minor Wounds
“You swiftly aid an ally and return to the fore to aid yet another”
Encounter * Divine, Healing
Minor Action Melee 1
Effect: An adjacent ally that has taken damage from an enemy's attack since the start of your last turn heals 10 + your charisma modifier hit points.
Special: Increase healing to 15 + charisma modifier hit points at level 21.

Medical Emergency
“Your ally is in grave danger – time itself slows down as you rush boldly to their aid”
Daily * Divine, Force, Healing, Implement
Immediate Reaction Close Burst 10
Trigger: An ally within the burst is reduced to 0 hp or fewer.
Effect: Teleport to a square adjacent to the ally, and make the following attack;
Target: The enemy that reduced the ally to 0 hp or fewer.
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d10 + wisdom modifier force damage and you push the target a number of squares equal to your charisma modifier, and it is immobilised (save ends).
Effect: The triggering ally can spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your wisdom modifier.

Made this one back in July, a few weeks after I got the PHB. When a friend showed interest in playing one, I realized what a terrible job of balancing I had done. So, PEACH away, since, as always, I'm sure I missed stuff :smallbiggrin:.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-12, 09:28 AM
Pretty cool PP. One thing that needs to be changed jumped out at me, though.

Healing Mastery (16th level): You add your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) to all your Heal checks and the potency of your powers with the Healing keyword.

The phrase "potency of your powers" has no defined meaning in 4E. You need to be more specific about what this does. I assume you want it to work like cleric's "Healers Lore," but with CHA? Just copy and paste their description.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-12, 02:33 PM
Pretty cool PP. One thing that needs to be changed jumped out at me, though.

The phrase "potency of your powers" has no defined meaning in 4E. You need to be more specific about what this does. I assume you want it to work like cleric's "Healers Lore," but with CHA? Just copy and paste their description.

I thought of that when I wrote it, but I was AFB. copying Healer's Lore wording now.

Arbitrarity
2009-03-12, 06:16 PM
Quickened cure minor is too good. As an encounter power, it provides infinite out-of combat healing, without Healing Surge cost. Bad move.
Divine escape looks OK. Powerful effect, but low damage, and rather hazardous to use. Not necessarily going to be used in a given fight.
Healer's action should read "when you spend an action point to use a power which has the healing keyword" or something similar.
Medical Emergency is like a worse version of the Warlord's Defy Death. Not as much damage (though you could use d8's, maybe, since that's pretty decent damage), no hit block, but movement and counterattack, yes. Actually, it's got enough controller to it that it should probably use d8's.

Now, quickened cure minor. Clearly, it either can't be encounter, or needs a nerf.
Perhaps it should grant Temporary health that lasts until the end of the encounter? That makes it about the same effect, but it doesn't stack, can't really be used out of combat, so it's limited more reasonably.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-12, 06:46 PM
Quickened cure minor is too good. As an encounter power, it provides infinite out-of combat healing, without Healing Surge cost. Bad move.
Divine escape looks OK. Powerful effect, but low damage, and rather hazardous to use. Not necessarily going to be used in a given fight.
Healer's action should read "when you spend an action point to use a power which has the healing keyword" or something similar.
Medical Emergency is like a worse version of the Warlord's Defy Death. Not as much damage (though you could use d8's, maybe, since that's pretty decent damage), no hit block, but movement and counterattack, yes. Actually, it's got enough controller to it that it should probably use d8's.

Now, quickened cure minor. Clearly, it either can't be encounter, or needs a nerf.
Perhaps it should grant Temporary health that lasts until the end of the encounter? That makes it about the same effect, but it doesn't stack, can't really be used out of combat, so it's limited more reasonably.

I don't quite understand the first point. You think that Medical Emergency should use d8's instead of d10's?

And, on the second point - I don't really like temporary hitpoints. What if I added that the ally has to have taken damage the previous round? That means that they cannot infini-heal during short rests.

Arbitrarity
2009-03-12, 09:58 PM
I don't quite understand the first point. You think that Medical Emergency should use d8's instead of d10's?

And, on the second point - I don't really like temporary hitpoints. What if I added that the ally has to have taken damage the previous round? That means that they cannot infini-heal during short rests.

Sure, damage in prior round works. Nice way to deal with that issue.

I think Medical Emergency should probably be d8's. It's more in line with cleric standard damage, and that power's already pretty good. It's a teleport, heal, immobilize and push as an immediate action, and while that's in line with a few dailies, I'm not sure if it's too good for the level.

Actually, never mind. It's a paragon path capstone, it's single target. Probably fine, unlike, say... Destructive Salutation.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-12, 11:08 PM
A way to break the "must have taken damage in previous round" is to injure someone with a dagger and then use this power :smallsmile:.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-14, 10:27 AM
A way to break the "must have taken damage in previous round" is to injure someone with a dagger and then use this power :smallsmile:.

And a DM would allow this sort of thing because...?

Technically, you could also get to level 30 by beating a bag of rats for a few years. Sometimes, you just need a DM.

Rigon
2009-03-14, 08:14 PM
Dungeon Masters Guide, page 40, Legitimate Targets.
a "sack of rats" wouldn't work, as they are not legitimate targets.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-14, 09:54 PM
Dungeon Masters Guide, page 40, Legitimate Targets.
a "sack of rats" wouldn't work, as they are not legitimate targets.

Very well. The party takes a trip into the sewer and grabs a bag-of-holding full of level 1 minion rats. Before every encounter, the party cleric Sacred Flame's some rats to give his or her allies a bit of temporary HP and a handful (literally, like 5) XP. This is pretty much RAW legal, but a sensible DM would never allow it.

If your ally shanks you just so the party cleric is allowed to heal you, the DM should just say it doesn't work that way, congrats you just took 1d4 + strength mod damage for no particular reason.

Yakk
2009-03-15, 10:53 AM
As a general rule, however, you per-encounter healing powers shouldn't be free.

How about:

Quickened Cure Wounds
Immediate Interrupt * Close Burst 10
Trigger: An ally within the Burst takes Damage
Target: The ally who took damage, within the Burst radius.
Effect: Damage from the attack is negated. The ally may also consume a healing surge, and regain HP equal to their healing surge value.

Notice that this power is more powerful, yet doesn't generate infinite out-of-combat healing even with a lenient DM.

It might be too strong, I'll admit. But it is definitely more fun. :)

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-15, 11:15 AM
As a general rule, however, you per-encounter healing powers shouldn't be free.

How about:

Quickened Cure Wounds
Immediate Interrupt * Close Burst 10
Trigger: An ally within the Burst takes Damage
Target: The ally who took damage, within the Burst radius.
Effect: Damage from the attack is negated. The ally may also consume a healing surge, and regain HP equal to their healing surge value.

Notice that this power is more powerful, yet doesn't generate infinite out-of-combat healing even with a lenient DM.

It might be too strong, I'll admit. But it is definitely more fun. :)

Seems quite overpowered to me. IMHO, a DM would have to be pretty "lenient" to give a party infinite healing all the time for free. I can make it "damaged by an enemy", to make it even more clear, if it would make you happy.

Meek
2009-03-15, 11:52 AM
Powers should not be built upon a groundwork of "DM Leniency." Unless you want an unbalanced power. Which is fine, really. This is your class after all and you have creative control. But you can't say it is balanced based on an esoteric concept like "DM Leniency" that has infinite variations.

The enemy limitation would make it better, but honestly, it's still a bit OP compared to other healing powers. Heroic and Paragon Tier Healing powers that don't spend surges either have a fixed numerical growth that makes them inferior to spending a healing surge (but worthwhile to save on surges), or are daily powers (the Cure series). This one is basically "spend a healing surge without spending a healing surge every single encounter" which, even with the amusing Melee 1 restriction, is still a bit much. I think it should have a numerical growth like 10 + Charisma modifier or 15 + Charisma modifier or something, but not be comparable to a healing surge. Especially for a Paragon Path (an Epic Destiny I could see totally being able to do this.)

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-15, 01:20 PM
Well, to do a comparative analysis of the value of "one healing surge worth of HP" at 12th level, lets look at how much HP each progression will have.

Lets assume that the studies are:

10 + CON Score + 4/level (Wizard Types)
12 + CON Score + 5/level (Rogue, Ranger etc.)
14 + CON Score + 6/level (Fighter, Paladin, etc.)
16 + CON Score + 7/level (Warden Types)

Assuming CON scores of 14 for the first, 16 for the second, 18 for the third and 20 for the fourth, for math's (and my brain's) sake.

So the typical surge values at level 12:
24 + 44 = 68. 68/4 = 17
28 + 55 = 83. 83/4 = 20
32 + 66 = 98. 98/4 = 24
36 + 77 = 113. 113/4 = 28

If we then assume a CHA mod of 3 and a WIS mod of 6 for a Healing-Focused Combat Medic of 12th level, we get:

10 + CHA + WIS (Lore) = 19
15 + CHA + WIS (Lore) = 24

Either of which land about right in the middle of the healing surge values for that level, but do not scale nearly as fast.

In other words, thank you Meek. I will alter the values above now. I think I'll do 10 + CHA mod, increase to 15 + CHA mod at level 21 (weird for a level 12 Utility to scale, but I think it makes sense in this situation).

Mando Knight
2009-03-15, 01:26 PM
14 + CON Score + 6/level (Fighter, Paladin, etc.)

15. Fighters and Paladins have 15 + Con score HP at first level.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-15, 01:30 PM
15. Fighters and Paladins have 15 + Con score HP at first level.

Not that it makes a difference in their HS value :smallbiggrin:.

I'm afb, so I was just working from memory. It doesn't change the outcome of the maths though.

Meek
2009-03-15, 02:51 PM
No problem :)

That calculation you did is also very useful. You should hang on to it.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-15, 06:10 PM
No problem :)

That calculation you did is also very useful. You should hang on to it.

I will :smallbiggrin:.