2006-08-27, 08:51 AM
Jumpdog

Large Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5 ft., or jump
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +2 dex, +4 natural) touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Kick +5 meele (1d10+3), or bite +5 meele (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 kicks +5 melee (1d10+3) and bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Augmented jumping, Transferible magic, Enchanted, scent.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Jump +56, Survival +3
Feats: Track, Skill focus(Jump).
Environment: Temperate Plains
Organization: Solitary or herd (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Before you is a dog, much larger than you have ever seen before. Looking away from its face, you see that it has massive grasshopper legs.

Jumpdogs are the result of an odd experiment done on normal dogs. No one knows what was done at the time, but the dogs now live free.

Combat

Jumpdogs will not fight. If faced with a sizeible opponent, it shall jump away.

Augmented Jump (Ex): A jumpdog may, as a full-round action, jump as far as it can. The jumpdog makes a jump check, which they may always take 10 on, but never 20. This jump doesn't cause attacks of oppertunity. The jumpdog may jump as high as it wants, as long as it doesn't excede the total distance jumped. It reaches this high point in the middle of the jump. The jumpdog doesn't have to jump the full extent of its jump check. A Jumpdog never takes penelties for jumping without taking a running start. A jumpdog's jump check is always multiplied by 4 in terms of distance.

Jump (Ex): Jumpdogs gain a +30 enhancement bonus on Jump checks, as if continuously affected by the jump spell (CL 9).

Transferible Magic (Su): For every 5 minutes a rider spends riding a jumpdog, they gain the effects of the spell jump (CL 9) for one minute, to a maximum of 5 minutes, as a spell-like ability. This duration starts once the rider dismounts the jumpdog.

Skills: Jumpdogs have a +20 racial bonus on jump checks.

Training: Jumpdogs may be trained with a DC 23 Handle Animal check. Jumpdogs will not willingly stay in a pen until fully trained. Trianed jumpdogs sell for 5,000 gp. Jumpdog young sell for 2,000 gp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was inspired by my grandma's dog, who is a foot tall and can jump four feet high. Enjoy!

On a side note, I can type the word jump in the dark, tied to the ceiling, underwater, with my tounge.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 09:41 AM
Replace the Enchanted ability with "Jump (Sp): Jumpdogs gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Jump checks, as if continuously affected by the jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/jump.htm) spell. The caster level for this effect equals the jumpdog's HD."

Changes to Transferable Magic:

"Transferable Magic (Su): For every 5 minutes a rider spends riding a jumpdog, they gain the effects of the jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/jump.htm) spell for one minute, to a maximum of 5 minutes, as a spell-like ability. This duration begins once the rider dismounts from the jumpdog. The caster level for this effect is equal to the jumpdog's HD."

Skills: Jump +50, Survival +3

The Jump bonus here, taking into account the changes I suggested above, should be +36 (3 ranks, +3 Str, +10 enhancement bonus from jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/jump.htm), +20 racial bonus = +36)

Skills: Jumpdogs have a +20 bonus on jump checks.

This is a racial bonus, I assume?

Also, I'm don't think Multiattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiattack) is a valid feat choice for this beastie. The feat's prerequisites specify "three or more natural attacks". The jumpdog has only 2 natural attacks, a slam (kick) and a bite attack.

On a side note, I can type the word jump in the dark, tied to the ceiling, underwater, with my tounge.

I burn to know how you came to discover this capability... but at the same time, I'm afraid I don't want to know.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-27, 11:11 AM
Okay, changes made, though I'm making the caster level 9 for maximum effect. They must have changed the spell while I wasn't looking.

Oh, and how I came across my special ablity: I had an encounter with some pixies. They had sleep arrows. And I forgot to prepare Invisiblity Purge. But now I escaped.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 12:35 PM
Actually, if you're dead set on the "can't be dispelled", just make Jump an (Ex) ability instead of (Sp).

And: Wooot! I've been sig-quoted!

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-27, 12:38 PM
Ok, changed. thanks for your help.

BTW, this is a MitP submission, just in case you haven't checked the thread.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 01:15 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-01, 07:39 AM
Yeah, my first yes vote! Effectively, this hooray triples as a floatation divice and a bump! Hazzah for multiple uses!

fangthane
2006-09-03, 01:21 AM
Attack: Kick +5 meele (1d10+3), or bite +5 meele (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 kicks +5 melee (1d10+3) and bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Attacks should be +2(base) +3(str) -1(size)=+4 (not sure if the bite should be at a -1 or not) - and melee is misspelled on the "attacks" line :)

'Transferible' should be 'transferable' (both locations)
'Sizeible' should be 'sizeable'
'Oppertunity' should be 'opportunity'
'Excede' should be 'exceed'
'Penelties' should be 'penalties'

A couple of things need fixing (Enchanted entry on the Special Qualities line) and it needs some text but it's a nice base idea so far.