PDA

View Full Version : From Hell's heart I stab at thee... (PEACH)

Luircin
2006-09-02, 10:26 PM
Epic Spell:
Hell’s Heart
Evocation (fire) and Necromancy
Spellcraft DC 88
Components: XP
Casting time: One action.
Range: 450 foot radius, centered on caster.
Effect: 20d6 damage, 10d6 fire damage, 10d6 sonic damage, and a tornado.
Duration: 10 rounds.
Saving throw: Fort half, Reflex half (See text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)
To Develop: 792,000 gp; 16 days; 31,680 XP
Seeds: energy (Create weather effects, 10d6 of fire, 10d6 of sonic) (DC 63) destroy (DC 29)
Factors: Decrease casting time to 1 round (+20 DC), Decrease weather manifestation time to one round (Ad-hoc DC +10), change from target to 20 ft. radius (+22 DC), increase area by 4500% (+180 DC), no verbal components (+2 DC), no somatic components (+2 DC), increase duration by 2000% (+40 DC).
Mitigating factors: 60d6 backlash damage (-60 DC), burn 20,000 XP (-200 DC).

Created by a particularly vindictive sorcerer, this spell is usually reserved for when death is imminent. It is particularly deadly because without somatic or verbal components, the victims of the spell usually don’t realize what has been cast. This spell has a one-round delay, after which horrible destructive pulses spread throughout a 450-foot radius centered on the caster, causing 20d6 damage to each target in the area of the spell for ten rounds (Fort half each round). Any target reduced to 0 hit points or fewer through this damage is disentegrated completely, leaving just a trace of fine dust. In addition, natural forces are forced into a destructive pattern as volcanoes erupt and tornadoes rampage throughout the area. Treat this as a 40-ft radius tornado (See p. 95 of the DMG) that moves randomly throughout the area of the spell for the duration of the spell (Spell resistance is not effective against the tornado). In addition, the lava showers cause 10d6 fire damage per round to all targets in the area for the spell’s duration (Reflex half), and the very air itself attempts to destroy whatever is caught in the area, dealing 10d6 points of sonic damage per round (Reflex half). Any creature caught in the tornado may not save against the fire or sonic damage. Casting this spell invariably hastens the already immenent death of the caster, which is why the sorcerer thought it a delicious irony that in striking at his foes from Hell’s heart, he was bringing Hell’s heart to them.

Suggestions? As the title indicates, I was going for a spell that to cast in the unlikely situation of an epic caster knowing that all is lost and he wanting to take as many foes as possible along for the ride. Or maybe just an interesting (Read: Deranaged) way to commit suicide. (Which is why I went for broke on the HP/XP costs, since what good are those to a corpse?)

fangthane
2006-09-02, 11:07 PM
I would think the only caster liable to cast this anyhow would be at least 60-ish or better (to be able to make the DC), no? At which point 20k experience (which he'd have to have above his last level) amounts to 1/3 of a level and the 60d6, while punishing, is unlikely to be independently fatal. If he, or a close confidant, has a Greater Teleport ready to go before the damage kicks in, it could quite reasonably be used in, say, the center of a city.

I think you may have made an error (or it's been too long since I read my Epic book) - 44+29+20+10+22+180+4+20 = 329, reduced by 260 which amounts to 69; is there a mandatory +20 I've forgotten about, or should that be a lower Spellcraft DC to cast?

Luircin
2006-09-02, 11:24 PM
*Does math again, looks at page*

Ack, typo! *Goes to correct, adding more to the factors* Thanks. It's my first time creating one; can you tell?

This was made for a 30th level caster, actually. With class features, items, and feats in order to maximize the Spellcraft check. The check I have right now is +79 without buffs, so taking 10 would give 89 (Which, IIRC, is allowed)

As for certain death, the 60d6 is applied every round of the ten-round duration. I suppose that a greater teleport with heavy healing magic applied every round would give him a survival chance, though.

Luircin
2006-09-02, 11:34 PM
By the way, stupid question here, but the SRD and the ELH both say "1 action" when referring to casting time. Does that mean a standard action?

fangthane
2006-09-03, 12:28 AM
Yep, that it does. No sneaking two actions more worthwhile than movement into a round. :)

Heh, I'd forgotten about items... Items can give some pretty nutty bonus at Epic levels, especially on skill checks. Even so, that's a tricky DC for most people to take (though I'm pretty sure that the backlash is only meant to hit once, not once per round for the spell's full duration) until they have reasonable odds of surviving 60d6.

Luircin
2006-09-03, 12:50 AM
Yep, that it does. No sneaking two actions more worthwhile than movement into a round. :)

Heh, I'd forgotten about items... Items can give some pretty nutty bonus at Epic levels, especially on skill checks. Even so, that's a tricky DC for most people to take (though I'm pretty sure that the backlash is only meant to hit once, not once per round for the spell's full duration) until they have reasonable odds of surviving 60d6.

Well, +13 ability mod, 33 ranks, +3 from Skill focus, and a +30 competence bonus to Spellcraft from a custom-made ring (Plus the synergy bonuses I completely forgot about until now) does add up. Would have added Epic Skill focus for another +10, but all the Epic feats were in use already.

I wanted to make the bonus from the item something other than competence 'cause he's a dracolexi (from Races of the Dragon) and a class feature that gives another +10 bonus. Alas, it too is a competence bonus and they don't stack. I wish that they had a guide in item creation for non-competence bonuses to skill checks.

As for the backlash damage... from the SRD:
"For spells with durations longer than instantaneous, the backlash damage is per round."

I agree that's truly stupid. For example, it makes casting Origin of Species a death sentence because it's permanant duration with 50d6 backlash per round. Still, it's the RAW.