PDA

View Full Version : The Most Touching Episode of Futurama: It's Not The Dog One

Flame of Anor
2009-03-11, 11:59 PM
I say the most touching episode of Futurama is Luck of the Fryrish. Discuss.

chiasaur11
2009-03-12, 12:21 AM
Fair enough.

I mean, I can easily see both that and jurrassic bark being argued.

revolver kobold
2009-03-12, 12:39 AM
I'd put my vote in for the episode that involves the Giant Space Bees.

That, or the episode where Fry gets the Robot Devil's hands to play the holophone.

Really any episode that involves the Fry-Leela romance are pretty good.

Ravens_cry
2009-03-12, 01:08 AM
The Luck of the Fryish, definitely touching.I actually welled up at that one. As were both holophone episodes.

lisiecki
2009-03-12, 01:09 AM
Dang
I love to argue
and i thought i was going to be able to. But Its one of the best.
Simple Minds can make anything more touching though...

Wife: I know what name you want to give him, Yancy. It's okay.
Yancy: Really? Son, I'm naming you Philip J. Fry in honor of my little
brother, who I miss everyday. I love you, Philip... and I always
will.
“Here Lies Philip J. Fry, named for his uncle, to carry on his spirit”

Although, I also think that Godfellas and Benders Big Score should be at the top of the list

Yulian
2009-03-12, 01:11 AM
It IS Jurassic Bark, though.

Okay fine. Leela's Homeworld. It really showed how much love her parents had for her and how much they sacrificed for her to have a better life, and all the ways they kept watch over her throughout that life.

The end montage was incredibly sweet.

- Yulian

skywalker
2009-03-12, 01:27 AM
I can watch "Luck of the Fryrish," tho. Can't watch "Jurassic Bark." Just can't.

I would say the most touching (not just sad) moment for me was the series finale, "I want to hear how it ends."

Wow.

RTGoodman
2009-03-12, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure how, but I had seen every episode of Futurama multiple times EXCEPT "Luck of the Fryrish" up until about two weeks ago. Late that night I happened to catch it on Comedy Central, and I tell ya, it REALLY caught me by surprise at how touching it was.

I'm not sure, though, which melted my cold, dead, icy heart any more. "Jurassic Park" is certainly up there, "Fryrish" is now too, and I always thought the holophone ones were SWEET, but I don't know about "most touching." Same for the space honey one.

Either way, though, I think it's a testament to how awesome the show is that we can even DISCUSS which episode of a comedic cartoon is the most touching. :smalltongue:

thubby
2009-03-12, 02:01 AM
futurama has always surprised me with just how deep it can hit.

and each time it does it so differently, a boy and his dog, the bonds of family (parent and child, then brothers), and then, just... love.

it would be unfair to just pick one.

FoE
2009-03-12, 02:08 AM
Okay fine. Leela's Homeworld. It really showed how much love her parents had for her and how much they sacrificed for her to have a better life, and all the ways they kept watch over her throughout that life.

Yeah. In agreement. Though Luck of the Fryish was very sweet as well.

Greep
2009-03-12, 02:24 AM
I'd probably agree, except I have absolutely no idea what any of the episodes are called (although Jurassic Bark is too easy to guess). Which one is luck of the fryrish?

thubby
2009-03-12, 02:26 AM
I'd probably agree, except I have absolutely no idea what any of the episodes are called (although Jurassic Bark is too easy to guess). Which one is luck of the fryrish?

it has it's own wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Luck_of_the_Fryrish) 0,o

Klose_the_Sith
2009-03-12, 02:27 AM
Wait, wait, wait

There are touching episodes of Futurama?

I've seen all of them, and the only reason I would find them unwatchable would be a constant entrance into depressing attempts at humour.

thegurullamen
2009-03-12, 02:42 AM
Wait, wait, wait

I've seen all of them, and the only reason I would find them unwatchable would be a constant entrance into depressing attempts at humour.

Aw, that's not nice.

Luck of the Fryrish and Bender's Big Score, also the end of Into the Wild Green Yonder did something I found touching (and as satisfying as scratching an unreachable itch.)

Vael Nir
2009-03-12, 03:36 AM
Wait, wait, wait

Nice threadcrap.

The bee episode is touching, I gotta say the montage at the end of Jurassic Bark is the saddest thing I've ever seen in a comic series.

RMS Oceanic
2009-03-12, 03:57 AM

Luck of the Fryrish is when Fry is tired of his bad luck in the future, and decides to go the ruins of his parents' house to retrieve his seven-leaf clover, which brought him good luck in his childhood. Upon finding the house, he discovers that his Elder brother Yancy stole the clover some time after Fry was frozen. Records then indicate that Yancy renamed himself Phillip J. Fry and used the Clover to have a highly successful life, including being one of the first men on Mars. Fry tracks down the grave of this Philip J. Fry, intent on reclaiming the clover. As they dig, Fry discovers a message hidden by moss: "Here lies Philip J. Fry, named for his uncle to carry on his spirit". The Late Philip J. Fry is actually Yancy's son, named Philip out of love for his missing brother, and given the clover so he can have a good life with it. Touched by this, Fry decides to leave the clover alone.

Flame of Anor
2009-03-12, 08:43 AM
It IS Jurassic Bark, though.

- Yulian

Yeah, that one's right up there, too.

...but the song at the end of Leela's Homeworld can't compare to Don't You (Forget About Me).

Canadian
2009-03-12, 10:12 AM
No it's the one with SLURM! Look at the way Slurms Mckenzie dies... So sad.. So touching...

The Extinguisher
2009-03-12, 10:28 AM
Man, Futurama is a depressing show.

:smallamused:

MammonAzrael
2009-03-12, 11:49 AM
Luck of the Fryish and Jurassic Bark are definitely the top two in my book. They touch the deepest, and they both build up through the entire episode. I don't think I could chose which one hits me harder, but their ending tone is a bit different. Luck of the Fryish has a sweet, incredible reconciliation between brothers, separated by 1000 years, where Jurassic Bark has a bittersweet ending of a dog who never left he master he loved.

Both are in my top 5 episodes, and are the primary reasons why I love Futurama more than most any other comedy show. The evolution of the characters and the seriousness that was weaved into it has always made the show stand apart as something very special to me.

Leela's Homeworld, The Sting and The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings deserve mention, but just don't have the same impact as the top two.

Some others there at least bear mention for me at least are Time Keeps on Slippin' and Parasites Lost.

alchemyprime
2009-03-12, 12:29 PM
I do love Jurassic Bark and Luck of the Fryrish equally (one for that dog love, and one for that love for a relative you never knew you had and the one you always did). The Sting was good for the Fy-Leela dynamic... but my favorite is Godfellas, because it brought just the slightest bit of morality to Bender for a moment without fear of the Robot Devil.

Plus God's line: "If you've done everything right, no one will be sure you've done anything at all." Kind of shows that God even cares about Bender, the jerk that he is, and about those silly monks.

Flame of Anor
2009-03-12, 05:56 PM
Man, Futurama is a depressing show.

:smallamused:

Yes, it can be sad, but I think that gives the happy parts more "realism" and the characters more depth. I give you one of my favorite examples:

Leela: "I'm sorry you had to see that, Fry. I usually keep my sadness pent up inside, where it can fester as a mental illness."
Fry: "Yeah, I do that with my stupidness."
--Leela's Homeworld

EDIT: Also, no one has mentioned Time Keeps On Slipping. I thought that one was also touching.

Starscream
2009-03-12, 08:47 PM
The Luck of the Fryish is the one time in world history that the song "Don't you Forget About Me" by Simple Minds can be called emotional with a straight face. That's a pretty big achievement.

Then again, Jurassic Bark had good use of music as well. You can tell the real Futurama fans by the way they sniffle at "Walking on Sunshine".

chiasaur11
2009-03-12, 08:56 PM
Yes, it can be sad, but I think that gives the happy parts more "realism" and the characters more depth. I give you one of my favorite examples:

Leela: "I'm sorry you had to see that, Fry. I usually keep my sadness pent up inside, where it can fester as a mental illness."
Fry: "Yeah, I do that with my stupidness."
--Leela's Homeworld

EDIT: Also, no one has mentioned Time Keeps On Slipping. I thought that one was also touching.

Yeah.

Earth losing at basketball man...

snif.

Fin
2009-03-13, 03:29 AM
I would say the most touching (not just sad) moment for me was the series finale, "I want to hear how it ends."

Wow.

Can't say I have seen that one, which one is it? Also a touching episode is when Fry gives up the worms so Leela can love the real him!

Tichrondrius
2009-03-13, 03:53 AM
Wait, wait, wait

You're alone.

Magnor Criol
2009-03-13, 03:54 AM
No, Jurassic Bark still wins it hands-down for me - but that's because I'm an incredible sucker for dogs. I simply cannot watch that final "waiting" montage of that episode; it's too much for me. =p

Luck of the Fryrish nets itself a close second. The killer space bees episode is very touching as well, as is Leela's Homeworld and Time Keeps on Skipping, but none of them measure up to the dog.

(Incidental true story: one of my friends actually thinks that this is the funniest episode of Futurama. It's not because he's laughing at the suffering or anything horrible like that...I don't remember his justification exactly..but I still think he's touched in the head. =p )

RMS Oceanic
2009-03-13, 03:56 AM
Can't say I have seen that one, which one is it? Also a touching episode is when Fry gives up the worms so Leela can love the real him!

The episode is The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings, the last regular episode of Futurama before the movies. It's kind of a sequel to the Worms one, as the central plot is Fry writing a holophone opera for Leela.

Athaniar
2009-03-13, 05:21 AM
Wait, wait, wait

Heretic! You will burn in Robot Hell!

And for the most touching, I agree with most of the above.

revolver kobold
2009-03-13, 05:31 AM
(Incidental true story: one of my friends actually thinks that this is the funniest episode of Futurama. It's not because he's laughing at the suffering or anything horrible like that...I don't remember his justification exactly..but I still think he's touched in the head. =p )

Well, it does have some of Futurama's best lines, especially when everyone is lining up to leap into the lava to save Seymour.

"Professor! Lava! HOT! :smallfurious:"

Nerd-o-rama
2009-03-13, 06:10 AM
Time Keeps on Skipping was just a horrendous downer (Season 3 sucked for Fry). Being more fond of my little brother than any of the family dogs, I have to say Fryrish is a little more tearjerking than Bark, but only just.

No one tell my brother I said that.

Overall most emotionally impacting is probably The Sting, though, and that remains my favorite episode overall. It's not the funniest, but I'm a sucker for random musical numbers.

Ubiq
2009-03-14, 04:30 PM
I never really cared all that much for "Luck of the Fryish" if only because it's one of the instances where the show ignored its own setting. Is it really that likely that they would not consider the First Man on Mars a good person to keep around in head-in-a-jar form when they're more than willing to preserve Pam Anderson, among other celebrities, for the ages? It's not even a choice issue seeing as how they have Presidental heads-in-jars that outright resent being lowered to that status.

I don't know if they just forgot about that whole aspect of their universe when they wrote the episode or they dismissed the idea of having Fry confront his enjarred nephew in favor of "Bender likes graverobbing" jokes.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-03-14, 07:04 PM
Heretic! You will burn in Robot Hell!

And for the most touching, I agree with most of the above.

Quite possible, I don't mean that it's a bad show or anything it just doesn't strike me as that great.

Zap Brannigan is great, Zoidberg can be funny and I think Bender has gotten a few laughs, but beyond that I'm yet to get any laughs out of it.

On the other hand, if you really got into it then I imagine that some episodes could get you, and a tiny shard of flint from my interior softened slightly at Fry's Dog. Just the opinion of someone who has (admittedly) pretty bad taste when it comes to liking TV though so take it with a grain of salt.

Fawkes
2009-03-14, 07:33 PM
Futurama is probably my favorite tv show of all time, largely because of how emotional it can be.

Another episode I haven't seen mentioned here is Love and Rocket. Come on, "U leave me breathless"? Classic.

chiasaur11
2009-03-14, 08:15 PM
I never really cared all that much for "Luck of the Fryish" if only because it's one of the instances where the show ignored its own setting. Is it really that likely that they would not consider the First Man on Mars a good person to keep around in head-in-a-jar form when they're more than willing to preserve Pam Anderson, among other celebrities, for the ages? It's not even a choice issue seeing as how they have Presidental heads-in-jars that outright resent being lowered to that status.

I don't know if they just forgot about that whole aspect of their universe when they wrote the episode or they dismissed the idea of having Fry confront his enjarred nephew in favor of "Bender likes graverobbing" jokes.

Probably, given that it seems to be a living hell, most people take legal action to avoid the head in a jar thing as soon as the deal is invented.

leafman
2009-03-14, 10:01 PM
The part that really got me about Jurassic Bark was the song that plays during the credits, "I will wait for you". I have to agree that Luck of the Fryrish was pretty good.

Trizap
2009-03-14, 10:14 PM
Wait, wait, wait

sorry Klose, but it seems you alone in this thread.

I think "Time keeps on slipping" is the most touching.

after all he does to get Leela to fall in love with him and failing, he win her over during timeskip and when he finally sees what won Leela over, it gets blown up a couple seconds after seeing it, being replaced by a black hole. very sad. :smallfrown:

littlebottom
2009-03-14, 10:58 PM
to be realy honest, all of the above were realy good, and touching i feel the most "touching" being quite possibly "luck of the fryrish" but i welled up at the jerassic bark... right at the end, it realy had an effect on me, but possibly just because ive got a dog, that if i went missing and did that for me, i might well cry... aaaanyway *cough* must talk more manly

BENDER IS GREAT!