PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Scarlet Pirate

amanodel
2006-09-02, 07:55 PM
Prestige class for my upcoming campaign setting. 'Cos we need a badass pirate PrC. Weak? Strong? Comments are welcome.

Scarlet Pirate

The Scarlet Pirate is a legendary maraduing sailor of the Scarlet Sea, living by raiding and capturing other ships. His mere sight brings fear to his opponents' hearts, his rapier spreads death wherever the winds take him.

Rogues and fighters are most likely to become scarlet pirates, altough bards and sorcerers sometimes take on the dangerous path of the pirate.

Hit Die
d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Scarlet Pirate, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus
+4.
Skills
Profession (sailor) 7 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks.
Feats
Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse.
Alignement
Any non-lawful, non-good.
Special
Must have served at least one year willingly in a pirate ship of the Scarlet Pirates Brotherhood.

Class Skills
The scarlet pirate’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (sailor) (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level
6 + Int modifier.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Scarlet Fear, Most Wanted
2nd +1 +0 +3 +0
3rd +2 +1 +3 +1 Fearsome Reputation, +2
4th +3 +1 +4 +1 Defensive Roll, 1/day
5th +3 +1 +4 +1 Scarlet Fear, Greater
6th +4 +2 +5 +2 Fearsome Reputation, +4
7th +5 +2 +5 +2
8th +6 +2 +6 +2 Defensive Roll, 2/day
9th +6 +3 +6 +3 Fearsome Reputation, +6
10th +7 +3 +7 +3 Scarlet Fear, Terrifying

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A scarlet pirate is proficient with light armour and bucklers, with simple weapons, rapier, scimitar, falchion and bolas.

Scarlet Fear (Ex)
Beginning at first level, the scarlet pirate is able to scare his enemies with his very presence. Any humanoid who encounters the scarlet pirate, must make a Will save vs 10 + the scarlet pirate's Cha modifier+his class levels in scarlet pirate. If he succeds, nothing happens, but if he fails, he becomes shaken for a number of rounds equal to the scarlet pirate's Cha modifier + his levels in scarlet pirate. The scarlet pirate can turn off this ability at will, and re-apply it at will. People who succesfully made their sav are unnafected by the same scarlet pirate's scarlet fear for 24 hours.

Most Wanted
Scarlet pirates are devious outlaws. Whenever he meets a city guard (or any similar officer), the law's man is entitled a spot check against the scarlet pirate's disguise check. If he succeeds, he reckognizes the scarlet pirate. Note that disguise is a cross-class skill for scarlet pirates.

Fearsome Reputation
Beginning at third level, the fame (or infamousness) of the scarlet pirate helps him in non-violent situations. He gets +2 circumstance bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks. Later this bonus increases.

Defensive Roll (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, once per day, when a scarlet pirate would be reduced to 0 hit points or less by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), he can attempt to roll with the damage. He makes a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt) and, if successful, takes only half damage from the blow. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll. If he is in a situation that would deny him any Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t attempt a defensive roll. This ability increases to 2/day at 8th level. The scarlet pirate must not wear medium or heavy armor or small shield, large or tower shield to use this ability.

Scarlet Fear, Greater (Ex)
At sixth level, the scarlet pirates shocking aura increases. The opponent who loses his save becomes frightened instead of shaken, and even if he succeds he becomes dazed for one round.

Scarlet Fear, Terrifying (Ex)
At tenth level the scarlet pirates shocking aura increases even further. Any humanoid who interacts with the scarlet pirate in any way (conversation, battle) must make a save, or become dazed for one round and panicked. The ones who succeed in their saving throw are entitled to do another. If they fail, they become dazed for one shaken. Characters succeding in their saves only become dazed for one round.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-02, 08:59 PM
A good PrC over all, but needs some minor refinement in some places. First off, the weapon profeciencies seem pretty light; pirates are known for their resourcefulness, and the inability to use the grand majority of widely available weapons will cut down on that severely. Also, Terrifying Scarlet Fear seems a bit overpowered: dazed and shaken automatically, no save for it? This class is obviously meant to be available at fourth level, so by fourteenth level an epic level Paladin backed by a strike force of forty other sub-epic paladins would have half of them be coup de graced by the Pirate's crew in the first round of combat. Make it so that the save negates the effects or seperate it into two saves for dazed and panicked/shaken respectively.

I would love to see some fluff on exactly what a scarlet pirate is and what seperates them from the stereotypical swashbuckling pirate captain.

You also forgot to change the word 'duelist' in the class skills section to Scarlet Pirate in the copy/paste.

amanodel
2006-09-02, 09:10 PM
Thank you, I correct those.

Basically I needed them for a campaign setting, but I need to flash out their history a bit more. In that world the Scarlet Sea is an important naval tradeway, with nations killing each other around it's shores. I needed something which could render them allied against. Some loosy pirates won't be enough, so I created a pirate brotherhood. And as a Nature's Law, every association/brotherhood needs a PrC, to be really good.

I didn't gave them many weapon proficiencies since the majority of the applicants are already proficent with a great number of weapons. And the casters gain some nice weapon proficienciesto work with.

SilveryCord
2006-09-02, 09:12 PM
Good class, but since it is supposedly about the "Scarlet Sea", shouldn't the requirement be that the ship you worked on for a year at least make a stop somewhere in the sea?

amanodel
2006-09-02, 09:20 PM
Well, I was thinking about adding it, but due to the world's geography, it's not really needed, since nearly every seas worth "pirateing" are connected to the Scarlet Sea. I'm gonna add something about the brotherhood, instead.