A glint in the air
A bolt flies
And enters, into my flesh,
And my life ends.
But I am not finished,
And I yet stand,
Ready to do my duty.

Dutiful Cadaver

The Dutiful Cadaver template is an aquired template that can be applied to any humanoid, monstrous humanoid, dragon, or giant.

Type Changes to Deathless, size remains the same

Hit Die: Change all current and future HD to d12

Speed: As base creature

Armor Class: Natural Armor improves by +4

Attack: If the base creature had natural attacks or the ability to use manufactured weapons, they retain these abilities and gain a slam attack on the following table:
Fine 1
Diminutive 1d2
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 3d6
Colossal 4d6

Full Attack: A Dutiful Cadaver uses either it’s natural attacks, manufactured weapons, or it’s slam attack when full attacking.

Special Attacks: A Dutiful Cadaver retains all special attacks of the base creature.
Gaze of Duty: A Dutiful Cadaver may channel it’s will by forcing a single opponent every 1d4 rounds to make a will save, with a DC equal to the result of an intimidate check from the Dutiful Cadaver. If the opponent fails this save, they are shaken until the end of combat.

Special Qualities: A Dutiful Cadaver has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the qualities of the Deathless type, as well as the ability to, once a day, automatically pass a will save due to their steadfastness towards their duty, an ability referred to as ‘My Duty Yet Undone’.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature: +2 STR, +4 WIS, -4 CHA. Dutiful Cadavers have no CON score.

Environment: Same as base creature.

Alignment: Same as base creature.

CR: +3

LA: +4

Dutiful Cadavers are what happens when a strong-willed individual dies before completing some important task, and even after death try to complete this task.

ilovefire
2006-09-02, 01:16 PM
Male Halfling Dutiful Cadaver Warrior 1
Size/Type: Small Deathless (Halfling, Augmented)
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Halfling traits, Dutiful Cadaver Traits
Special Qualities: Halfling traits, Dutiful Cadaver Traints
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con -, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +3, Hide +4, Jump -3, Listen +6, Move Silently +1
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword)
Environment: Warm plains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +4

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-02, 05:48 PM
Would there likely by more Lawful, duty-bound Duitifuls?
Very nice, BTW, I like the idea.

ilovefire
2006-09-02, 06:34 PM
Well, Lawful beings possibly have more of a chance of becoming a Dutiful Cadaver, but it's by no means necesary... of course, I tend to disliket he alignment system alot, so you are probably correct in that. By the by, I'm worried that I might have placed the LA and CR modifications a little high. Thoughts on that?

martyboy74
2006-09-02, 06:39 PM
What's the effect of Gaze of Duty?

InaVegt
2006-09-02, 06:52 PM
I wouls say change the LA to -, this doesn't sound like a player template and as such shouldn't have an LA

ilovefire
2006-09-02, 07:12 PM
... Gaze of Duty is supposed to cause the opponent to become shaken. Lemme go fix that.

Also, i'd like for this to have an LA anyways, if only because I hope to, one day, play an 'undead and deathless' only game, and there's not very many deathless templates (which isn't right, if you ask me.)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-02, 07:19 PM
The reason for the conspicuous lack of deathless templates is because of the fact that it should and is a rare occurance that stops something from dying by mere force of will, inate magic, or giving any deity suffecient reason to prevent death.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-02, 07:31 PM
The reason for the conspicuous lack of deathless templates is because of the fact that it should and is a rare occurance that stops something from dying by mere force of will, inate magic, or giving any deity suffecient reason to prevent death.
Maybe that could be reflected by needing an exceptionally high Charisma and a Will save to add the template?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-02, 08:15 PM
That would be appropriate, though maybe just the will save will suffice, I fail to see how a high Charisma will convince the laws of creation to bend, or the minds of deities to change, unless it's a death god or anything like that.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-02, 08:25 PM
I was thinking of ghosts needing a high charisma to be born after death.

ilovefire
2006-09-02, 08:33 PM
Hmm, possibly. I'm thinking either a will save DC 25, or 17 CHA. Thoughts?