PDA

View Full Version : Items [Items]

Uber_Nerd
2006-09-01, 01:46 PM
To use the following items you must be kalashtar, inspired, or previously possesed by a quiori

Healing Device: This device enables the wielder to cast cure serious wounds at will.
Cure serious wounds
Cost: 30,000 CL 5
Moderate Conguration

Hand Device: This device enables the wielder to cast shield, telekinisis and provides a +4 to AC.
Shield, telekinisis, mage armor
Cost: 94,000
CL 9
Strong Evocation

Hario
2006-09-01, 02:07 PM
Ummm no?

CSW at will? no amount of how many times per day? even for 30k gp.. (which I think is a small amount for that)

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 02:09 PM
Someones been watching too much Stargate.

Matthew
2006-09-01, 05:01 PM
Can you watch too much? Sky One seems to think not...

NullAshton
2006-09-01, 05:26 PM
How about reducing it to five times a day?

kingofthemorning
2006-09-01, 09:02 PM
Also I'm hoping those "costs" are the cost to make, not market price.

"At will" is a phrase to use lightly. I'd love my character to have "daze" at will, much less CSW.

Fizban
2006-09-02, 12:24 AM
A lv 3 spell at will, one that has an instantaneous duration, should cost more than 50k. need lots of work.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-02, 02:50 AM
To use the following items you must be kalashtar, inspired, or previously possesed by a quiori

Healing Device: This device enables the wielder to cast cure serious wounds at will.
Cure serious wounds
Cost: 30,000 CL 5
Moderate Conguration

This is one of the reasons why the new item guidelines are just that - guidelines.

Consider the Ring of Regeneration (from the SRD) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#regeneration)

This white gold ring continually allows a living wearer to heal 1 point of damage per level every hour rather than every day. (This ability cannot be aided by the Heal skill.) Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. If the wearer loses a limb, an organ, or any other body part while wearing this ring, the ring regenerates it as the spell. In either case, only damage taken while wearing the ring is regenerated.

Strong conjuration; CL 15th; Forge Ring, regenerate; Price 90,000 gp.

For a 20th level character, that will heal 20*24=480 hp/day, in basically the best non-epic case. Cure Serious Wounds, from a caster level 5 item heals 3d8+5 damage per invocation (minimum 8, maximum 29, average 18.5). At the absolute worst rolls possible, if someone with that 30,000 gp item can find an unoccupied standard action five times every two hours, that 30,000 gp item beats out the 90,000 gp Ring of Regeneration. For the average, he really only needs one per hour, plus another every 12 hours or so to equal the healing from the Ring of Regeneration. Meanwhile, someone with the Healing Device can stop and use standard actions for five minutes and get a minimum of 400 hp of healing.

This will break much of the game - fighters, rogues, and warlocks suddenly find themselves with an infinite supply of about the only recourse they use up - HP. They start every combat fresh.

The standard example for breaking things in this manner, of course, is an at-will widget of Cure Minor Wounds for 900 gp as a slotted command-word item, or 1800 gp as an unslotted command-word item.

Infinite healing kinda breaks many aspects of the game.

Hand Device: This device enables the wielder to cast shield, telekinisis and provides a +4 to AC.
Shield, telekinisis, mage armor
Cost: 94,000
CL 9
Strong Evocation
So you've got Bracers of Armor +4 (16k), a ring of telekinesis (75k), and a command-word item of Shield at caster level 9 (guidelines, 9*1*1800=16,200 gp) for a pre-stacking penalty total of 107.2k gp. With the stacking penalty, the bracers of armor cost and the shield cost increases by 50% for being secondary stacking powers - so 75k+16.2k*1.5+16k*1.5=123.3k=123,300 gp, by guidelines. Assuming it qualifies as a properly slotted item. Double the price if unslotted (246,600 gp), increase by 50% if improperly slotted (184,950 gp).

I'm curious where you're pulling your prices from.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-02, 03:22 AM
Healing Device is (mostly) correct - my calculation comes out to 27,000gp (spell level(3) x caster level (5) x 1,800 = 15 x 1,800 = 27,000gp) for a command word, unlimited use wand.

I agree that unlimited healing at will is gamebreaking, but that's for a DM to rule on. Worst case, encounters suddenly start happening a lot more often, and the cleric goes CoDzilla since he no longer has to bother supporting the party with healing spells and can instead use all his slots for buffing.