PDA

View Full Version : Sphoraxunes (PEACH)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-25, 04:54 AM
Sphoraxuns are a militant, matriarchal race of near draconic lizard people who spend most of thier lives within active volcanoes. They stand about 6 and a half feet tall on average, including females and have reptilian features similar to that of a lizardfolk, to which they are distantly related. Thier scales are often ash-grey, blood-red, pitch black or any combination or variation of the three. Some female clerics will coat thier claws in steel or other hard or sometimes precious metals to show thier superiority.
Sphoraxuns worship a great reptilian goddess of fire named salamander. Sphoraxun clerics have access to the evil, destruction, fire and war domains. Salamanders favored weapon is the bite (or shortsword). Sphoraxuns are most often nuetral evil, like salamander.

Sphoraxun racial traits
- +2 str, +2 wis, -2 int, -2 cha. Sphoraxuns are strong and perceptive to the cosmos, but not very intelligent or pleasent to be around.
- Medium size.
- Humanoid (reptilian)
- A sphoraxun's base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-light vision
- Religious: Sphoraxuns are considered heretics unless completely pious, so knowledge (religion) is always considered trained, and a class skill for sphoraxuns.
- +2 natural armor bonus; Sphoraxuns have thick, scaley skin.
- Natural Attacks: Bite (1d6) and two claws (1d4).
- Special Qualities: Fire resistance 10
- Cold vulnrability: Sphoraxuns are raised in climates considered far too hot for any othe creatures to survive, which makes them resilient to heat, but weak against cold attacks. Sphoraxuns take half again (+50%) damage from cold energy damage.
- Favored Class: Cleric (Female), Fighter (Male).
- LA: +1

Edit: did away with level adjustment(for now) and mentioned type and subtype
Edit 2: brought back the level adjustment and noted thier usual alignment.

PMDM
2006-06-25, 05:18 AM
A pious Monsternoid? O.K. Not too bad. I don't think it needs any LA. If any, they should only be +1. The only complaint I have is that Sphoraxunes have a +2 wis. Why? Just because a race is pious dosn't mean they're much wiser because of it. Take the goblin god. The Goblins don't get any wiser, just because they love their god.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-25, 05:26 AM
A pious Monsternoid? O.K. Not too bad. I don't think it needs any LA. If any, they should only be +1. The only complaint I have is that Sphoraxunes have a +2 wis. Why? Just because a race is pious dosn't mean they're much wiser because of it. Take the goblin god. The Goblins don't get any wiser, just because they love their god.
short answer: because of game mechanics
roleplay answer: these creatures are so intuned with thier gods that thier perception of everything around them has become clearer and stronger, just because they devote more than thier own lives to thier god and her cause.

PMDM
2006-06-25, 05:29 AM
Then I guess I now need an allignment entry. You don't need to increase one ability to balance out Charisma. Just ask half orcs.

Rei_Jin
2006-06-25, 05:33 AM
Without the Natural attacks and the Natural armor, I'd say they were a non level adjustment race.

With it, they'd be a LA+1. Not bad, not bad at all.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-01, 12:48 AM
Here's a good name selections, just because I thought of it.

Common Female Names: Quexinn, Sphali, Phroxxil, Qorkel

Common Male Names: Sphelxor, Sphaaxin, Quarux, Qelluk

Sphoraxunes do not have last names due to the unusual methods of birth sphoraxunes are accustomed to. Whenever eggs are layed they are taken away from thier genetic parents and taken to the pits of Salamander's church and set in pools of active magma, which keeps the eggs alive and happy as they grow. Sphoraxune newborns are incredably resilient to fire damage, having fire immunity at the moment of hatching and for 2d4 hours afterward, when they gain fire resistance as normal. When the baby sphoraxunes hatch they swim for thier first breathes, emerging from the lava and "hatched from salamander's womb".
Also, on these occasions of mass births of young from salamanders womb the heads of the church of salamander call forth all the citizens to the church where they sacrifice thier 'husbands' in front of everyone by eatting out thier throats. The male subjects of this sacrifice are honored to serve thier vile god in this way.

Alokov
2009-08-16, 10:27 PM
Just subscribing.