PDA

View Full Version : Parson's a Titan? Discuss...

Yahoo_Serious
2009-03-17, 11:19 AM
Counterarguments:
1) As Erf was created by Titans, and Parson is a Titan, why doesn't he know the freaking rules?
2) The Aladdin Sane (minor?) warlord said "Titan..." because:
a) He found religion at the moment of his demise.
b) He was about to curse "Titan's Testes!"

Arguments:
1) Erfworld, the comic, is written by humans. You are a human. Do you always know what is going to happen next?
2) Check out the Titans of Ark, Erf 1, panel 1. If anyone has the toned physique of a late Vegas-era Elvis impersonator, it's Parson.
3) Erf is filled with fourth-wall breaking references to early 21st C geek pop culture, recognizable to Parson. Ergo, the Titans of Ark, the designers of Erf, were 21st C geeks, just like Parson.
4) Much of good game design, as so game strategy, is about balancing probabilities, which in turn are all about math. On Erf, athamancy is a powerful branch of Magic, and Parson is apparently a uniquely practitioner.
5) Parson's best ideas (including, assuming it works, the 'lateral thinking' of making an undead volcano) involve meta-gaming; i.e., imagining himself in the role of the game designer and considering how he would have designed things. This perspective is unavailable to all other Erf characters (see Ansom), though Charlie might be a special case.

Speculation:
1) What if, somewhere, a secret cabal of Elvis-impersonating game designers were to stumble upon a way of entrapping the souls of over-avid gamers?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-03-30, 07:05 PM
At first I was just going to come here and simply say "No."

However, now that I think about it, it may be possible... after all, he did create the game that (he seems to be/seems to assume) he is in. As for not knowing the rules, well, if I created and entire world, I don't think everything would go exactly as planned. Maybe the rules changed, or maybe they had a legal expert find all kinds of loopholes that matured and completely changed all the rules.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-03-31, 03:30 AM
Well, Parson mentioned in one of the strips that the world he was in looked a lot like a campaign he was planning - at least when the story basics were concerned (hopeless siege). But the gameplay basics were alien to him, and those should not have changed so easily. Emergent behavior is one thing, rewriting the laws of physics another.

This also lends credence to the "bad trip"/"bad dream" theory, seeing as Parson is unfamiliar, at first, with the basic rules of Erfworld. Mind you, if this is Parson's dream, then he is The Titan, right?

Then, there's always the possibility that the summon spell selected him precisely because he was preparing a similar campaign and would therefore be highly qualified to fight this one.

(Edited for redundancy)

the_tick_rules
2009-03-31, 11:38 AM
Maybe parson is the titan's titan? Think about it and your head wil explode.

User Name
2009-04-01, 12:13 AM
2) The Aladdin Sane (minor?) warlord said "Titan..." because:
a) He found religion at the moment of his demise.
b) He was about to curse "Titan's Testes!"

The warlord said "Titans". I don't understand why people are still latching on to this, it was clear to me that it's the Erf equivalent of "Oh my god" (or "Oh my buddha" if you're obnoxious enough to think things like that are funny.)

Molant
2009-04-01, 08:15 AM
The warlord said "Titans"

Actually, he didn't say that either. He said "Titans'" - the plural possessive form. Had he said anything else, we'd have ample reason to believe him to speaking improperly.

User Name
2009-04-01, 10:16 AM
Actually, he didn't say that either. He said "Titans'" - the plural possessive form. Had he said anything else, we'd have ample reason to believe him to speaking improperly.

See for yourself. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0146.html)

CaptC
2009-04-01, 12:18 PM
Definitive answer: No.

Parson has neither the sideburns required, nor the personality that would allow him to grow such anachronistic facial hair.

:smallbiggrin:

BillyJimBoBob
2009-04-01, 01:14 PM
More points against:
Parson isn't larger than mountains;
Parson isn't dressed in rhinestone studded clothing;
There are not several Parsons collaborating on the situation;
Parson doesn't seem to have the ability to change terrain or perform other Titan-level feats;
Parson doesn't think he is a Titan;
Parson thinks he can die in Erfworld.

MorhgorRB
2009-04-01, 01:44 PM
More points against:
Parson isn't larger than mountains;
Parson isn't dressed in rhinestone studded clothing;
There are not several Parsons collaborating on the situation;
Parson doesn't seem to have the ability to change terrain or perform other Titan-level feats;
Parson doesn't think he is a Titan;
Parson thinks he can die in Erfworld.

Even more points against :
He hasn't once said Uh-uh-huh.
Noone has announced that he left the building.
Does not have (...yet?) the stylish sunglasses.

Kreistor
2009-04-01, 04:47 PM
We've never seen him sing, but we know his taste in music is more like metal than crooning.

He's far too fat for any of the Elvis incarnations.

The Titans created a very silly world. Parson isn't silly.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-04-02, 01:28 PM
Even more points against :
He hasn't once said Uh-uh-huh.
Noone has announced that he left the building.
Does not have (...yet?) the stylish sunglasses.Nor does he wear blue suede shoes!