PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Making a Witch Doctor

Cedrass
2009-03-18, 08:03 PM
During the last session of a friend's campaign, my friend's Ninja died, and seeing as how we didn't have the money right now to resurect him, the rest of the group asked him if he wanted us to continue and play without him until we had the money so he could keep his character or if he'd reroll one. He hesitated and said he'd like a Witch Doctor kind of guy.

Now the thing is, we really aren't sure what he should do to create that kind of character. I thought about Spirit Shaman but really it's not what we're looking for... What we want is the African feel, with the curse they would put and their weird healing ways. And you know just like, Diablo 3's Witch Doctor.

I found this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60146) which I totally love and I know my friend will like it too, but I'm afraid my DM won't allow homebrew classes in his campaign. So I'm asking here for ideas before asking him. Just in case.

sophosbarbaros
2009-03-18, 08:21 PM
by no means am I nearly so PrC well read as most of the playgrounders, but my initial reaction is perhaps a bard/hexblade, and I don't doubt there is a PrC out there somewhere which would combine those nicely with suitable flavor.

Saint Nil
2009-03-18, 08:23 PM
You could try the Dread Necromancer (HoH). Giv ethe zombies a voodoo theme and use the curses from the necromancy school.

The Glyphstone
2009-03-18, 08:29 PM
!!!

Well...no need for me to comment, I guess....:smallbiggrin::smallsmile:

RTGoodman
2009-03-18, 08:41 PM
How about the Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster) class from Unearthed Arcana's "Generic Classes" variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm).

I could also see Sorcerer working, but probably with access to Sor/Wiz AND Druid spells sort of like the Adept has. Perhaps take the Arcane Disciple feat for some healing and/or cursing magic. If not, I guess some Druid variant that looses Wild Shape could work very well.

Draz74
2009-03-18, 08:44 PM
Just a Cleric with the right domains and spells could work.

Dragon Shaman?

Warlock?

Cleric / Warlock / Eldritch Disciple?

Favored Soul / Warlock / Eldritch Disciple?

Cedrass
2009-03-18, 08:47 PM
You could try the Dread Necromancer (HoH). Giv ethe zombies a voodoo theme and use the curses from the necromancy school.

Didn't think about this guy. I kinda like it as an alternate of the Witch Doctor class. Maybe add a couple of Cleric level for Cure and stuff, and with the Advanced Learning he could get some attack spells and "witch doctor stuff".

Any must have Feats/Items? Haven't played D&D for so long I can barely remember which items are in the DMG :smallredface:

Edit: Oh I never played/read the Warlock class. How is it? I heard from a friend it's kind of a Sorcerer with unlimited, but very restricted spells.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-18, 09:25 PM
Didn't think about this guy. I kinda like it as an alternate of the Witch Doctor class. Maybe add a couple of Cleric level for Cure and stuff, and with the Advanced Learning he could get some attack spells and "witch doctor stuff".See if the DM will let him swap Cure spells for Inflict spells. They should be Necromancy anyways, by any reasonable definition of the multiverse, and it's not exactly overpowered.
Any must have Feats/Items? Haven't played D&D for so long I can barely remember which items are in the DMG :smallredface:The Necro needs either the Tomb Tainted Soul(LM) feat or the Necropolitan(LM, IIRC) template, but other than that, it really comes down to what he wants to do. I recommend Weapon Finesse, Spell Focus Necromancy, and maybe the Corpsecrafter line if he wants to make Skeletons(which isn't required, btw).
Edit: Oh I never played/read the Warlock class. How is it? I heard from a friend it's kind of a Sorcerer with unlimited, but very restricted spells.It's closer to an archer in actual mechanics, though it is very Sorcerer in feel. It gets an at-will touch attack that deals 1d6/2 levels and 12 spell-like abiulities usable at will over 20 levels. It's somewhat underpowered, but loads of fun.

Thurbane
2009-03-18, 09:46 PM
To simulate Witch Doctors in my games, I'll use all sorts of classes: Adept, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Favored Soul, Dragon Shaman, Spirirt Shaman...but I do like that homebrew class, and may well add it to my list. :smallsmile: