Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

You are able to teach an ally how to better use a skill, weither it is through superior expierence, or through sharing ways of doing the tricks of a trade, such as facts for knowledge skills, ways to jingle locks for lockpicking, etc. This gives a temporary +2 ranks to any skill.

This spell cannot put a skill's ranks over the maximum for the level, the caster must have at least 4 ranks in the skill he is giving bonus ranks for.

Focus
An item appropriate for the skill, Such as a mat for concentration, a book for knowledge, or a rope for use rope.

[hr]
And an item to go with it:
Pill of Skill
This item increases a corresponding skill by 2 ranks. This cannot increase past the maximum ranks for your level, and you must already have at least 4 ranks in the skill. This bonus is gained by swallowing the pill.
Weak transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Mentor; Price 8,000 gp

edit: for spelling

Draco_Ignifer
2006-07-10, 10:03 PM
I see one obvious problem with the flavor of this skill - there's no reason why you can't mentor someone in a skill which they are better than you in. If the caster has two ranks, they can lend them to someone with twenty, provided that the target's maximum is 22. Doesn't fit with the concept of "mentor."

Then again, making it so that the caster has to have more skill points weakens the spell even further - it's already pretty weak.

Gralamin
2006-07-10, 10:29 PM
Well part of the idea is people have different ways of doing things. just because you have 2 skill points in open lock doesn't mean you do it the same way as someone with 4.For knowledge skills this means you know different things, like one person might no this fact but the otherone doesn't. Thats how I see it anyways.

chaiyo
2006-07-10, 11:20 PM
This spell looks like, if you give it a bit more fleshing out, it would seem seemless. What I mean by that is that both the flavor and the mechanics need tweaking. If you can teach someone how to do something that they are already better at, put that in the flavor somehow, since you obviously seem to want it there. Also, I would bump up the minimum ranks to four, and then go even farther with the spell by allowing the caster to get a bonus to Assist Other (Either the check or the bonus to the checker) with the subject.

Also, don't make it a touch spell. Please. Touching someone for ten minutes while arcanely telling them how to do a better job at a skill doesn't work flavorfully. I'd make it Close range with one target. However, this is all just my detail focus working.

Thray
2006-07-10, 11:22 PM
How long do pill of skill's benefits last? If it's permanent, I see a problem...

Gralamin
2006-07-10, 11:26 PM
made a few changes. And yes the pill is supposed to be permant.

chaiyo
2006-07-10, 11:35 PM
Hm. It gets my stamp of approval. Shouldn't be long until this gets into the Compendium.