PDA

View Full Version : Stoutgnomes (PEACH)

MrSeth
2006-07-19, 01:11 AM
In the tradition of the Quarterorc, the Gnoblin and the Dwelf... I present the Stoutgnome!

STOUTGNOMES
Gnomes and Dwarves often live in close proximity, and each consider the other race a cousin to their own. Personality conflicts of the archetypes of their respective races aside, it is not unheard of for the two to intermarry, and in some communities where both Gnomes and Dwarves have been entrenched for centuries, the offspring of the two races aren't exactly uncommon. Such communities are usually peaceful wilderness mining cities, far from Orcish incursion or Kobold infestation, but with their own "unique" problems to deal with.

Stoutgnomes appear, as their name implies, as stocky Gnomes with especially thick hair - especially beards, in the case of men. They typically have black or red hair, green or hazel eyes, and unusually large feet and broad hands. Stoutgnomes are tougher than many creatures of their size, although they have the curious susceptability to toxin that most cross-breeds of Dwarves and other races share, and many find the path of the warrior a natural for them.

*Small size
*20 ft. base speed. Stoutgnomes can maintain this speed while wearing medium armor and a light load or no load.
*-2 dex, +2 con. Their bulk makes Stoutgnomes a bit ponderous, but they're remarkably tough.
*Darkvision (60 ft)
*Powerful build: Stoutgnomes may use weapons and shields of one size category larger without penalty.
*Weapon familiarity: Stoutgnomes treat the Dire Pick as a martial weapon. (Or the Gnomish Hooked Hammer, if your campaign does not use Complete Warrior)
*+2 on appraise checks for items made of stone or gems.
*Spell like ability: Talk to animals, burrowing mammals only, 1 min/day. While not as adept at arcana as their Gnomish side, Stoutgnomes do have lingering traces of the talent.
*-2 on Fortitude saves against poisons. For some reason, Stoutgnomes are particularly susceptible to toxins.
*+2 on all Will saves against enchantments or illusions, chosen at first level. Stoutgnomes maintain the arcane resistance of both parents.
*Automatic languages: Common, Dwarven, Gnomish. Bonus languages: Terran, Halfling, Elven, Goblin.
*Favored class: Ranger

[Edit 1: Changed favored class from Fighter to Ranger]

MrNexx
2006-07-19, 01:25 AM
*-2 on Fortitude saves against poisons. For some reason, Stoutgnomes are particularly susceptible to toxins.
*+2 on all Will saves against enchantments or illusions, chosen at first level. Stoutgnomes maintain the arcane resistance of both parents.

In light of their -2 vs toxins, I would give them a +2 vs. both enchantments and illusions, or even a +2 vs spells and a further +2 vs illusions.

I would also change their favored class to Ranger... while they may be warriors, they've also got gnomish blood.

MrSeth
2006-07-19, 09:13 PM
Changed to Ranger, you're right on that one... still not sure about adding bonuses for both enchantment and illusion. I'm afraid that it wouldn't be enough to counter the Powerful Build - a fairly potent ability - and I don't want to make these fellas LA+1.

MrNexx
2006-07-20, 01:48 AM
It's useful, but is means they'll be doing damage as the rest of the party, instead of a gnome; reword their powerfull build to reflect that, despite their small size, they can use medium weapons. Call it large hands or something.

Really, the part that gets to me the most is the -2 to toxins. The only reason you have for it is "for some reason", and that just feels wrong.

DMgrinder
2006-07-20, 01:56 AM
Really, the part that gets to me the most is the -2 to toxins. The only reason you have for it is "for some reason", and that just feels wrong.

It's not that unusual for genetic inbreeding to produce randomly compounded weaknesses in a genetic code. [/sound smart]

MrSeth
2006-07-20, 10:12 AM
It's not that unusual for genetic inbreeding to produce randomly compounded weaknesses in a genetic code. [/sound smart]

Okay, see... I got the idea from Ligers. The combination of tiger and lion DNA bounces off the gene that limits their growth (which is why they're farking huge). Similarly, Mules (offspring of horse and donkey) are universally sterile. The way I figure it, no one's gonna line up perfectly with Dwarven genetics, and the natural mechanisms they have to scrub toxins out of their systems are going to be more a hindrance then a help if they don't work at 100%.

Or does that just sound like a bunch of hooey?