PDA

View Full Version : MacGyver: The Movie

Muz
2009-03-19, 05:34 PM
No, I'm not kidding (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/03/16/macgyver-film.html).

I don't know whether to be intrigued or frightened.

Perhaps I shall be intrightened. (Frightrigued?) :smalltongue:

Starscream
2009-03-19, 05:43 PM
This could either be very good or very bad.

MacGyver was probably just about the only "action" hero on television who was also a pacifist, and never carried a weapon. The writers were usually pretty clever when it came to finding clever ways to have him take down enemies without killing them. As a film he might make an interesting contrast to Hollywood's traditional "Helicopters Blowing Up: The Movie" approach.

On the other hand, they might just change that aspect of his character, so we'll just end up with another Jason Bourne only armed with office supplies and duct tape. I don't have any problem with traditional action heroes, but pretty much every permutation has been done to death. If they concentrate on making MacGyver marketable rather than original I think we're in for a disaster.

Berserk Monk
2009-03-19, 05:45 PM
I made a MacGyver movie once with only a toothpick, empty soda bottle, and five cotton balls. But back on topic: a MacGyver movie should be a satire based on how awesome and impossible it is to make half those things with all those common household items.

Muz
2009-03-19, 05:51 PM

MacGyver was probably just about the only "action" hero on television who was also a pacifist, and never carried a weapon.

Sometimes, though, he'll blow up your garage for a simple distraction. :D (I watched an ep on IMDB the other day that involved him destroying this poor woman's garage/workshop just to distract the bad guys for a moment. She didn't appear to mind. Sure, he saved her from a hostage situation, but after the adrenaline wore off, you can bet she'd have been ticked. :smallbiggrin: )

Someone suggested Nathan Fillon as the new Mac. (Not anyone in connection with the movie, just...amusing idea.)

DraPrime
2009-03-19, 06:12 PM
Well this is bewildering. I really have no idea what to think. As long as they keep it interesting and not just a poor rehash of the original show, it should be good. Unless they change a ton of things and just butcher the original concept.

Starscream
2009-03-19, 07:18 PM
Sometimes, though, he'll blow up your garage for a simple distraction. :D

Yeah, property destruction is all in good fun, so long as nobody dies:smallbiggrin:

What I'd really like to see is MacGyver as a comedy. Sort of like how this year's Get Smart movie worked as both an action flick and a spoof of action flicks.

You can get a lot of mileage out of just acknowledging how ridiculous your action movie's premise is, then giving it a little push over the top into parody territory. It won't take much, because honestly films like the James Bond series are so inherently silly anyway that the jokes write themselves.

Jack Squat
2009-03-19, 07:46 PM
I could see it working if Nathan Fillion as MacGyver. I think I'd prefer them keep Richard Dean Anderson in, but from what I've heard he's basically fully retired now...perhaps as a cameo?

And if they butcher this movie, I will be very upset...I've already accepted that the A-Team movie's gonna blow, but this one still has hope.

Fri
2009-03-19, 09:16 PM
Don't he have those movie? You know, where on one of them there's this search of treasure or something, that might involve atlantis (or not), and basically I only remember that the climax is inside a volcano. Maybe.

Or that's only a made for tv movie?

Jack Squat
2009-03-19, 10:20 PM
Don't he have those movie? You know, where on one of them there's this search of treasure or something, that might involve atlantis (or not), and basically I only remember that the climax is inside a volcano. Maybe.

Made for TV (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110419/)

I still haven't seen it, want to.

sheepofoblivion
2009-03-19, 10:58 PM
[cuts out stream of amazed ramblings, exhilarated screaming and MacGyver fan assertion-ness]

That. Is. Epic. If this movie goes over well, I will be able to die happy. (Not really, but close enough)

JoshuaZ
2009-03-19, 11:01 PM

MacGyver was probably just about the only "action" hero on television who was also a pacifist, and never carried a weapon. The writers were usually pretty clever when it came to finding clever ways to have him take down enemies without killing them.

Well that's only until he get's lazy: http://xkcd.com/444/

Starscream
2009-03-20, 12:25 AM
Well that's only until he get's lazy: http://xkcd.com/444/

:smallbiggrin:
There aren't many things in this world that are cooler than MacGyver, but xkcd is definitely on the list.

sun_tzu
2009-03-20, 03:39 AM

Saw it. Wasn't impressed. Felt they were trying to turn MacGyver into Indiana Jones.

X2
2009-03-20, 04:49 AM
My stepbrother will cry with joy...

He never shuts up about friggin MacGyver!

Silent Hunter
2009-03-21, 04:22 PM
This could so end up in Development Hell...

That said, it could work.

BlueWizard
2009-03-21, 07:38 PM
I hope they don't make it lame. It could be done really well, but like Starsky and Hutch so many of these play on the wrong element of the show.

Heck my version of Scooby-Doo the movie would've had Shag and Scoob pot-smoking, since they were in they were in the original cartoons {watch carefully}. Imagine Shag blowing smoke into Scooby's face... but then I guess the kids wouldn't be allowed to come to that one.

Starscream
2009-03-22, 02:13 AM
Heck my version of Scooby-Doo the movie would've had Shag and Scoob pot-smoking, since they were in they were in the original cartoons {watch carefully}. Imagine Shag blowing smoke into Scooby's face... but then I guess the kids wouldn't be allowed to come to that one.

You know, they were originally going to do a scene in which we see Fred and Daphne gazing at each other lovingly, then panning out to show that Velma was looking at Daphne the same way.

It got cut. What a shame, it would have been the best joke in the movie.