PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler* About the first link of casters

SolkaTruesilver
2009-03-20, 01:47 AM
I came to a theory about the first link of Foolamancer/Thinkamancer/Lookamancer. Everybody is saying that it was Stanley's shrewdest move ever, but I think we have noticed that Stanley isn't the most intelligent Tool in the box.

I think Charlie managed to manipulate him to do it. It was probably Charlie's idea. That way, he could infiltrate and spy on Stanley's internal communication system (the way he does with the books).

Whatchathink?

Kreistor
2009-03-20, 09:42 AM
I think we have noticed that Stanley isn't the most intelligent Tool in the box.

I think Charlie managed to manipulate him to do it.

Whatchathink?

No, we must never blame the villain for being smart. Sorry, but I do.

Look at what he achieved. He rose from piker to warlord to Chief Warlord, and finally moved to take the Rulership of a side. You think an idiot can do that? No, it takes cunning, intelligence, and opportunity.

What we see now is a Stanley blinded by delusion and ambition. This is not the Stanley of the past. The old Stanley was ruthless and smart enough to hide that ruthlessness. Now he's lazy. He doesn't need ot hide his ruthlessness, so he appears diminished. He doesn't need to be smart, because his delusions tell him he will win regardless.

Do not underestimate the Stanley of old -- the Stanley that may yet be again. What once was could rise again, if his delusions of grandeur and megalomania can be overcome.

And coupled with Parson... the world will quake from the sound of their footsteps. As it is about to do now...

the_tick_rules
2009-03-22, 04:49 PM
He was able to hack parson's book solo, he wouldn't need to.

MadMaw
2009-03-22, 05:12 PM
I came to a theory about the first link of Foolamancer/Thinkamancer/Lookamancer. Everybody is saying that it was Stanley's shrewdest move ever, but I think we have noticed that Stanley isn't the most intelligent Tool in the box.

I think Charlie managed to manipulate him to do it. It was probably Charlie's idea. That way, he could infiltrate and spy on Stanley's internal communication system (the way he does with the books).

Whatchathink?

Unlikely. I agree that Stanley didn't actually come up with the idea, the pause in the panel where Wanda says

"Ordering them linked was ... the shrewdest thing I've ever known Stanley to do" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0053.html),

indicates that Wanda is self editing her original statement. Given her conversation with Parson about dealing with Stanley immediately before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0047.html), and her actions to distract him immediately after (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0047.html), I assume her original statement was something along the lines of

"Ordering them linked was the hardest thing I've had to convince Stanley to do"

The direct implication is that it was Wanda's idea.

BRC
2009-03-22, 05:26 PM
The way I see it, Stanley is not and Idiot. He is probably a very shrewd and effective warlord. The thing is, he's not a good leader. While he's very good at ordering troops in battle, he's not good at picking warlords or picking realistic long term goals (I'm Going to attack EVERYBODY!)

R. Malcovitch
2009-03-23, 05:03 PM
Stanley isn't an idiot, he's a fantastic commander. One of the best ever most likely. Thing is he has no head for strategy or long-term maneuvering. If Parson was Overlord and Stanley Chief Warlord they would be unstoppable.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-03-24, 01:08 PM
He was able to hack parson's book solo, he wouldn't need to.

Actually, the idea steemed from the fact that Charlie actually hacked the books.

Making the ennemy over-rely on an artefact for communication, but at the same time being able to hack in those communication will give you a major advantage. Specially if it comes to tracking Arkentools.. like the Arkenhammer, and the very Warlock bent on conquering all of the other tools.

Makes me think of the plot of "The Net". They hacked huge database to make them rely on the Cerberus, in order to have a backdoor in.