PDA

View Full Version : Troll like prestige class. PEACH

Nocte
2006-07-06, 03:49 AM
Troll Blooded

HD d10

Requirements

To qualify to become a Troll Blooded, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignmet

Any non lawfull

Race

any humanoid

Skills

Survival 8 ranks

Feats

Alertness, Iron Will, Track.

Base Attack Bonus

+7.

Special

To become a Troll Blooded a character must find a Troll Blooded who is willing to teach him a secret ritual.

On the ritual the character must defeat a troll by himself and drink his blood.

-------------------------------
Class skills

2 + Int modifier.
Class skills: Jump, Intimidate, Climb, Swim, listen, spot, survival.

BA F R W
1st +0 +2 +0 +0 fast healing +1 Claws and bite
2nd +1 +3 +0 +0 Ability boost (Con +2), Natural armor increase (+1),
3rd +2 +3 +1 +1 Fast healing +2 Low light vision
4th +3 +4 +1 +1 Ability boost (Con +2), natural armor increase (+2)
5th +3 +4 +1 +1 Fast Healing +3, Dark vision
6th +4 +5 +2 +2 Ability boost (Str +2), Natural armor increase (+3)
7th +5 +5 +2 +2 Fast Healing +4 Scent
8th +6 +6 +2 +2 Ability boost (Str +2), Natural armor increase (+4)
9th +6 +6 +3 +3 Rend (Dex +2)
10th +7 +7 +3 +3 +2 STR +2 CON, Fast Healing +5, Giant Type, Growth

Fast Healing(ex)

A creature with fast healing has the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate. Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).

Unlike regeneration, fast healing does not allow a creature to regrow or reattach lost body parts. Unless otherwise stated, it does not allow lost body parts to be reattached.

A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first.

Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.

Rend (Ex)

If a Troll Blooded hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6+(str modifier) points of damage.

Claws and Bite (Ex)

At 1nd level, a Troll Blooded gains claw and bite attacks if he does not already have them.

Size Bite Damage Claw Damage
Small 1d4 1d3
Medium 1d6 1d4
Large 1d8 1d6

Dark vision(Ex)

At 5th level a Troll Blooded gains 60ft dark vision, if the creature already have dark vision it increases +30ft.

Low light vision(Ex)
At 3th level a Troll Blooded gains 90ft Low light vision.

Giant Type
A 10th level Troll Blooded changes his type to Giant.

Growth
A 10th level Troll Blooded increases his size category to the next larger one gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to his increased size.

Dhavaer
2006-07-06, 03:52 AM
You can't have DR/Acid, acid ignores DR anyway. You need to list the effects of the Regeneration and Dazing Blow. It also needs a class skill list and a name.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 03:56 AM
It's only dr/ adamantine, like the wartroll. I'll fix it.

About the Skills maybe spot and listen and whatelse?

About the name, I'm open to suggestions.

The_Pyre
2006-07-06, 04:53 AM
Skills: Jump, Intimidate, Climb, Swim

InaVegt
2006-07-06, 04:55 AM
One word: BROKEN

Thiel
2006-07-06, 05:09 AM

So true

Draco_Ignifer
2006-07-06, 05:27 AM
If, by +9 regeneration, you mean that they regeneate 9 HP per round, I'd have t agree. Especially if the only way to kill them is to attack them with fire or disintegration spells, since they're now immune to acid. Even with a lower regeneration, though, the constant DR, massive ability score boosts, and massive natural armor score are still way too much when combined.

Needs a full overhaul, in other words.

The_Pyre
2006-07-06, 05:49 AM
I'd suggest changing Regen to Fast Healing, and then only up to a certain percentage of HP or only at a maximum of 5 HP per round. DR should be weakened a bit, as well, probably down to half the current rate.

How much damage do the claws and bite deal?

AtomicKitKat
2006-07-06, 06:09 AM
Actually, as a 10 level prestige class, the abilities are about right. A troll's racial HD+LA=6+5=11.

The_Pyre
2006-07-06, 06:21 AM
What worries me is how this would interact with the standard PC races... or with something that has LA in its own right.

Furthermore, the Troll does not have HD all the way, what with its LA of 6. This one has 10d8 HP worth, plus whatever Con mod he's packing (plus those from this PrC).

It may not be outright broken, but it's pushing it, IMO.

Draco_Ignifer
2006-07-06, 06:47 AM
Trolls are also possible to kill with acid, have a regeneration of 5, and no damage reduction.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-07-06, 06:55 AM
Regeneration should never be allowed for player races. I've been resisting playing a Curst from Monsters of Faerun for ages just because its so overpowered. Either your characters can't die, or you get very bored of fighting fire elementals again and again.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 12:12 PM

Yes that's why I need your help guys. It's my fist Prestige class.

About 9 regeneration, and DR

The Wartroll is 12hd and +6 LA, for a total of 18 ECL, it has +9 Regeneration, 5DR/ Adamantine, and 20 SR, Natural armor. And only acid deals lethal damage.

The normal troll has +12con, +12 str, and +4 dex.

--------------

Claw and bite damage could be like the dragon diciple 1d4 claw and 1d6 bite for medium size.

In fact I based this class on the dragon disciple, it has little more things but it doesn't have spells slots and only gets one good save.

---------

How about HD 6, for les hp?????

Thanks for your advice.

The Glyphstone
2006-07-06, 12:22 PM
The problem, really, is the regeneration. A PC could just dip 1 level into this class, and POOF! He's effectively immune to anything that doesn't deal acid or fire damage...and magic can give resistance/immunity.

I'd really suggest changing it to Fast Healing...maybe at 10th level, convert to Regeneration, make their size and type Large Giant...they literally become a troll.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 12:46 PM
Ok fast healing instead of regeneration at first levels.

I don't know about to incrise the size category. Maybe.

Is it near to be balanced????

InaVegt
2006-07-06, 12:58 PM
I would say fast healing all the way, Regeneration is not something you want you players to have because you'll have to decide: no chance of killing which means no threat or negating regeneration which means the player has lost his biggest asset, so I would suggest changing it to fast healing all the way and I think it's still overpowered, so maybe dropping the DR and halfing the natural armor.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 01:11 PM
But the bararian gets DR 5/- at 19th level.

And I think Regeneration is the Trollish thing of the class.

Now it has HD6 that's less hit points, and you can always be defeated by non lethal damage.

The dragon disciple has HD12 and natural armor +4 at 10th level.

The Troll ECL is 12 and gets Regeneration +5, and this class on level 13 (7 of any class + 5 of this one) gets only Regeneration +3.

InaVegt
2006-07-06, 01:14 PM
But the bararian gets DR 5/- at 19th level.

And I think Regeneration is the Trollish thing of the class.

Now it has HD6 that's less hit points, and you can always be defeated by non lethal damage.

The dragon disciple has HD12 and natural armor +4 at 10th level.

The Troll ECL is 12 and gets Regeneration +5, and this class on level 12 gets only Regeneration +3.
You seem to forget that the troll has less hit dice, why do you think the dragon disciple has ten levels even though half dragon is LA + 3?

Nocte
2006-07-06, 01:16 PM
That's why this has HD6, or you think it may be HD4????

InaVegt
2006-07-06, 01:21 PM
That's why this has HD6, or you think it may be HD4????
It's con get's boosted with a total of 8, assuming a base con of 16 for a total modifier of +7, is 95 avarage hit points with a d4, it also adds 45 hit points to the levels before the class and 25 to the rest of the levels till 20 so that's 165 hit points from this class for a level 20 character, include regeneration and you get a recipe for broken

Nocte
2006-07-06, 01:25 PM
Ok.

HD4, regeneration only on level 10. Natural armor +4 only, and no DR.

What do you think???

rhoass
2006-07-06, 05:17 PM
Has everyone overlooked the fact that the Dragon Disciple (which he used to model this after) is based on a HALF dragon, whereas the idea of this one is to become a FULL troll?

Half-Troll (from Fiend Folio) is what you need to base it off of.
+6 Str, +2 Dex, +6 Con
claw/bite @ 1d4/1d6 for medium
rend
fast heal 5
+4 natural armor

If you re-do this build based of the "half" template rather than a base monster class, it'll be more inline with the Dragon Disciple PrC. You can keep your BAB and Saves as they are, but up his HD. Troll's are tank characters, and as such, why the heck do they only get d4 hitdice?

Nocte
2006-07-06, 05:24 PM
Ok Ill quit the regeneration, and make it HD10.

What's the level adjustment for the half-troll???

Now I think is undepowered compared with the Dragon Diciple.

Because the dragon diciple gains immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and immunity to the energy type used by his breath weapon.

rhoass
2006-07-06, 05:30 PM
What's the level adjustment for the half-troll???

+4

If you add the fact that the DD is based off 1/2 dragon (+3) and gets bonus spells, that about is even with a +4 IMO.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 05:41 PM
Don't you think is underpowered?

The dragon diciple gets HD12

Spells per day

Fly

Breath Weapon

+8 Str +2 con +2 int +2 cha

low-light vision, 60-foot darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and immunity to the energy type used by his breath weapon.

Blind sense.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-06, 06:10 PM
I think the sticking point was regeneration. It makes it almost impossible to kill the PC, which leads to the PC doing stupid things because he's inheriently almost immortal.

Alrighty, things you need to define: what's the claw and bite damage, how does fast healing work (only to half hitpoints, I believe), range of the darkvision, mechanics and damage of Rend, etc.

The difference between this and Dragon Disciple is that Dragon Disciple is really a bad class for casters - it offers no spellcasting progression, but takes a caster down the melee progression. In essence, you're giving up a couple of 'useless' levels to become powerful. This one stacks straight onto a level 7 fighter and makes him better at what he's already doing.

Nocte
2006-07-06, 06:48 PM
Done.

What can be the name?

Troll Diciple, no I don't think so.

And about the requirements. How about defeat a troll by yourself as one of them?

rhoass
2006-07-06, 06:50 PM
So, I think his final abilities would be (for a medium):
+6 str, +2 dex, +6 con
+4 natural armor
fast healing 5
2 claw (primary) for 1d4 + str
1 bite (secondary) for 1d6 + .5*str
rend (if hit with 2 claws) 2d4 + 1.5*str
darkvision 60'
scent
giant subtype type

I suggest 2/3 BAB progression, good fortitute saves, d10 HD, and 2 skills pts per level.

For prereq's, I'd go with maybe power attack or cleave, knowledge (nature), and maybe a +5 bab (as a dragon disciple can be accessed as a PrC after level 5.)

note: this makes the Troll 'Disciple' more fitting for rangers, druids, and barbarians rather than tank fighters in full plate

The Glyphstone
2006-07-06, 07:45 PM
Giant is a type, not a subtype. But that seems balanced for a 10-level PrC.

Nocte
2006-07-07, 02:39 AM
What would be the benefits of been giant type?

I think it must have a special requirement maybe:

To Defeat a Troll
or
To Live some amount of time with Trolls
or
Find some Trollish item

I don´t know something that justifies that a humanoid becomes troll like.

Any Names?

skreweded
2006-07-07, 03:41 AM
Make sure a req is "speaks jamacan" but spell it right...
And on the first level, they start talking in common with a jamacan (sp) language.
;D Too much Warcraft...

The_Pyre
2006-07-07, 08:02 AM
Looks like the good people here fixed it up. ;)

Names, names... The problem here is that "troll" as a word doesn't lend itself to many names. If we could find the source word for troll, then we'd be getting somewhere...

Thankfully, wikipedia was kind of helpful here. I'm not going to bother with accuracy in terms of folklore here, because obviously D&D hardly cares.

Unfortunately, the only good name I can think of is Trowemorph... I hope someone can come up with a better name if that isn't adequate. :)

rhoass
2006-07-07, 12:31 PM
How about "Troll-blooded" as the PrC name?

Nocte
2006-07-07, 12:47 PM
Instead of knowledge nature, I choose survival, then ranger and barbarian qualify faster than other classes.

If the name is Troll Blooded the special requirement will have to be something with troll's blood.

Defeat a troll and drink his blood???

Defeat a troll and take a troll blood bath???

A troll have to give you willingly some blood???

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-07, 03:50 PM
Drinking a troll's blood might do it. They're apparently resistant to stomach acid, so I wouldn't eat any parts of a troll unless you want an alien-like explosion from your stomach when a slowly regenerating troll forces its way out of you.

Nocte
2006-07-07, 04:14 PM
They are not resistant to acid. They are vulnerable to fire and acid.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-07, 04:19 PM
I go by the description of 'many a wolf has faced a horrible fate when it ate from what appeared to be a dead troll, only to suffer an agonizing end as a new troll grew within it'. Milage may vary, books don't have to be 100% accurate to the game. *grins*

Nocte
2006-07-07, 05:41 PM
It's done now. Isn't it?

Nocte
2006-07-07, 07:13 PM
I just added the change of Type to giant and growth. I hope this is the last change.

Thanks to all you guys!

;)