PDA

View Full Version : Paladin + Lifedrinker = ??? Profit ???

Ponce
2009-03-21, 01:14 PM
So I was toying with a warforged paladin build. As such, I was thinking of making use of the construct type and shooting for the rather formidable Life-Drinker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#lifeDrinker). The item itself is not evil, but if someone is killed as a result of the Life-Drinker's negative levels, they rise again as a wight. Would that be an evil/fallworthy act, in your opinion? What about if the weapon was used, but never to deal enough negative levels to wightify someone?

Atelm
2009-03-21, 01:20 PM
I'd say that turning people into undead against their will, even if said people were evil, is evil. But that's just me. Enough to make a paladin fall? I would definitely say so.

As for never going far enough to actually make them turn into undead; not evil, but certainly not good either, neutral perhaps?

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-21, 01:20 PM
In D&D, animating undead for whatever reason is always classed as evil. I'd say not completely draining anyone would be fine, but it's impractical due to how you can't always tell how many HDs the opponant has. I suppose playing as a evil Paladin variant would get round that issue, though.

hamishspence
2009-03-21, 01:26 PM
Inflicting negative levels isn't evil- spells like energy drain, for example.

Creating evil undead is, though.

FinalJustice
2009-03-21, 01:33 PM
Wow! That's a damned strong weapon. A TWF Warforged Warblade dual wielding two of these gotta be deadly.

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 01:49 PM
Wow! That's a damned strong weapon. A TWF Warforged Warblade dual wielding two of these gotta be deadly.
Warforged are Living Constructs, I don't think they would be immune to negative levels. Necropolitans would be, I think.

Ponce
2009-03-21, 02:13 PM
Warforged are Living Constructs, I don't think they would be immune to negative levels. Necropolitans would be, I think.

They're immune to energy drain like regular constructs.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Assuming the line isn't crossed until a wight is made, the item should be pretty safe as your opponents probably have more HD than the number of times you will hit by the time you can buy it.

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 02:22 PM
Are they? Handy. I wasn't sure what stuff Living Constructs kept.

The_Snark
2009-03-21, 02:39 PM

I may be giving Wizards too much credit, but I suspect this is the reason it's a unique two-handed weapon, rather than a weapon property or a lighter weapon.

Nero24200
2009-03-21, 07:43 PM
I would class using the weapon as an evil act, one that should make a paladin fall. The main property of the weapon is that it weakens it's foe, potentially turning them into an "Always Evil" creature should it's property kill them.

Firstly, the suffering caused by such a thing is similer to that of poison, so that in itself might be worth the evil points (though I admit this one is stretching it a little).

Secondly, you risk creating a evil creature with every kill (unless that kill just happens to be undead or a constrruct, in which case the weapon is weaker against those creatures anyway). It should be noted that summon undead, animate undead, and other spells which creautre undead creatures almost always have the [Evil] descriptor. For a paladin to use the weapon regardless, they're falling under the "weild evil for the sake of power" catagory, since the paladin would be weilding the weapon purely for the devestating properties betowed by it.

tyckspoon
2009-03-21, 07:52 PM
I have to agree with the others- I would, at the least, raise an eyebrow at a Paladin who made heavy use of negative levels, even if you come to a conclusion that the act itself isn't evil. That said.. consider adding on the Merciful property to it as long as you/your GM doesn't believe that specific weapons are unalterable. Anything that is strong enough to be worth hitting with the Merciful Lifedrinker should get knocked out by non-lethal damage before you are at risk of draining it far enough to kill it with negative levels. Anything that isn't that big a threat should be handled some other way, such as a cheap secondary weapon or, preferably, talking them out of the way.