David Cross
Patton Oswalt
Lewis Black
jimmy carr when hes not doing one-liners
Chris Rock
David Chapelle

suggest other people you think i would enjoy based upon that list

obv. i like bill hicks too... don't be silly and suggest him
anyone who suggests dane cook will be fed to the opossums (plagerists are not allowed... so thats dennis leary out too)

i like very dark humour. twisted jokes. political jokes.

suggest me people that i might not have heard of (ie: arn't on TV), suggest people that only have 1 album out

suggest people that have a million albums out (and which album to start with)

don't let me down playgrounders

snoopy13a
2009-03-23, 06:24 PM
George Carlin?

Andrew "Dice" Clay?

Bill Cosby :smallbiggrin:

Seraph
2009-03-23, 06:26 PM
you must have made some sort of mistake, you made a list of stand up comedians and didn't mention George Carlin.

Oregano
2009-03-23, 06:29 PM
Frankie Boyle. Nuff said.

Eldan
2009-03-23, 06:54 PM
Thirding Carlin. He's also dark and political sometimes. Other times he's just... hmm. I don't now. Nihilistic?

revolver kobold
2009-03-23, 07:01 PM
Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-03-23, 07:10 PM
Mark Thomas.

Freakin' awesome stand-up/arms control activist.

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-23, 07:42 PM
already a massive carlin fan (hes in the 'no brainer' list along with hicks - asking if you like him is like asking 'do you like breathing'), and frankie boyle is great - need to nab his DVD off my DM

but keep the suggestions coming

suggest some less well known names for me too

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-03-23, 08:12 PM
My top comedians are Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, and Jeff Dunham.

The Blue Collar comedy guys are great as a whole because all they do is talk about stuff many people can relate to. I mean, everyone has seen the redneck and here's your sign moments, and they're all hilarious. Dunham is an amazing ventriloquist. My favorite characters of his are Peanut, Jose Jalapeno (on a steeek), and Achmed the dead terrorist.

Sneak
2009-03-23, 08:12 PM
Yeah, George Carlin is good. So is Jimmy Carr, but it seems you've already got him.

My all time favorites, though?

Mitch Hedberg (RIP) and Demetri Martin. Look 'em up.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-23, 08:33 PM
Jim Gaffagan and Russell Peters are the only two comedians I know of that haven't been mentioned yet, both of whom I find amusing. I'm bad at grouping humor types though, so I dunno how in line with your tastes it'd be.

Selrahc
2009-03-23, 08:43 PM
Eddie Izzard, Ross Noble, Dara O'Briain.

Raistlin1040
2009-03-23, 08:45 PM
Damnit, beaten. I wanted to be the first to suggest Eddie Izzard.

Demetri Martin is...interesting. He's not exactly laugh out loud funny, but he is fairly amusing most of the time, in an off-beat way.

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-23, 09:01 PM
Demetri Martin is...interesting. He's not exactly laugh out loud funny, but he is fairly amusing most of the time, in an off-beat way.

are we talking todd barry "not laught out loud funny but still great" ... or just genuinely not amusing?

Raistlin1040
2009-03-23, 09:04 PM
I think you'd need to watch some of his stuff to decide if you like it. Strikes me as the sort of comedian that is case-by-case.

Sneak
2009-03-23, 09:07 PM
Usually, his delivery is extremely deadpan. I find this hilarious, but some might find it somewhat off-putting. Most of his jokes are also completely random disconnected thoughts, so if that bothers you...

...I would give him a try, though. He's definitely my number one favorite.

Also, I would recommend Eddie Izzard as well. He's great, and he's a crossdresser to boot!

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-23, 09:26 PM
Usually, his delivery is extremely deadpan. I find this hilarious, but some might find it somewhat off-putting. Most of his jokes are also completely random disconnected thoughts, so if that bothers you...

sounds dangerously closer to one-liner territory

Raz_Fox
2009-03-23, 09:31 PM
Tim Hawkins?

I'm a bit biased, but he's funny. :smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2009-03-23, 09:42 PM
sounds dangerously closer to one-liner territory

...is there something particularly wrong with one liners? :smallconfused:

I mean, if they killed your parents, kicked your dog, and stole your slinky when you were a small child, I could understand, but...

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-23, 10:45 PM
i just find them irritating - i prefer comedians who can spin a good story

even comedians who don't really do transition material (carlin was often a good example of this) can be entertaining, but a string of one-liners feels very impersonal

just doesn't do it for me

The Neoclassic
2009-03-24, 03:07 PM
Eddie Izzard.

I third this suggestion. I particularly enjoy "Cake or Death." He also does some awesome humor based on history, of all things. And from what I've seen, he's more story than one-liners, which is what you say you're looking for.

bladedSmoke
2009-03-29, 04:43 AM
How has no-one mentioned Micheal McIntyre yet?

neoseph7
2009-03-29, 04:54 AM
Ron White. Believe it or not, Bob Sagat is really good, when not on a TV show.

TheBST
2009-03-29, 05:29 AM
Only ones I can recommend who aren't already down are Rich Hall and Paul F Tompkins

tape_measure
2009-03-31, 08:07 AM
Well, you missed out on Eddie Murphy. I'd suggest "Raw" and (insert that other one I can not remember at this time but it should be right next to Raw in the movie store). While he's not entirely political, he's downright funny.

Then there's Katt Williams. And please, don't watch it on Comedy Central. While you get more of the core comedy, their censorship takes away from Katt's ability to make you want to piss yourself. Rent it, buy it steal, but get your hands on "It's Pimpin' Pimpin.' I've not seen comdey done this well since I saw Lewis Black live at Bonnaroo a few years ago.

JDMSJR
2009-03-31, 07:03 PM
Jerry Clower is awesome if you like old school southern humor

Yulian
2009-03-31, 11:45 PM
I happen to be in Vegas. We have some of the best.

Hmm...George Wallace, Wayne Brady, I like Jeff Dunham (usually), Rondell Sheridan, and oh...Steve Oedekerk.

Then the late George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg.

I'd add Hicks but...already done.

- Yulian

Nevrmore
2009-04-01, 01:14 AM
Ron White. Believe it or not, Bob Sagat is really good, when not on a TV show.
Saget's entire routine is based on shock comedy that "omg I can't believe Danny from Full House just said the F word!"

Pass him up.

In any case, I'm umpteenthing Carlin.

hanzo66
2009-04-01, 03:51 PM
I myself am quite fond of Pablo Francisco, Stephen Lynch and Lewis Black.

Carlin (Bless Joe Pesci) does have some awesome lines himself.

arguskos
2009-04-01, 04:28 PM
I'll second Jeff Dunham. The man is an AMAZINGLY skilled ventriloquist. Give him a shot.

Serpentine
2009-04-02, 11:53 PM
Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey.Drag, I was gonna mention them. But yeah, bloody awesome.
I'd suggest looking up footage of the Melbourne Comedy Festival (and probably any other comedy festival you can come up with) and start there.

DrGonzo
2009-04-06, 02:50 PM
I second Ross Noble..

Especially his advice about never putting a blanket over an owl..

Platinum_Mongoose
2009-04-16, 07:59 PM
Daniel Tosh. Not very political (though the occasional jab) but very, very twisted.

And if you're in the mood for blending comedy with another medium, Stephen Lynch is a hilarious musical comedian, and The Amazing Jonathan is the world's best stand-up magician.

xPANCAKEx
2009-04-16, 08:28 PM
Daniel Tosh. Not very political (though the occasional jab) but very, very twisted.

this has my interests - i shall check him out

Occasional Sage
2009-04-16, 08:48 PM
David Cross. Hilarious, profane, irreverent, and hilarious.

How has nobody mentioned the old, old Robin Williams stuff from when he was still on drugs?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-07, 01:55 AM
i like:
doug stanhope
stuart lee
Richard Pryer
Andy Andrist
David Cross
Patton Oswalt
Lewis Black
jimmy carr when hes not doing one-liners
Chris Rock
David Chapelle

suggest other people you think i would enjoy based upon that list

Well, we seem to have identical tastes in comedy...try Daniel Tosh.

Apparently somebody uploaded all the tracks from one of his comedy albums to youtube...it comes highly recommended, by both me and my buddy who loves also loves Carlin, Hicks, Oswalt and Cross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YtWKB7BUE&feature=related

Dr. Bath
2009-05-09, 06:31 AM
Sounds to me like you would appreciate the stylings of Russell Howard, who is particularly good live.

Robin Ince is good when doing actual stand up, a few of his more recent tv and radio shows/appearances haven't been great, but he is good live.

Ross Noble is fantastic.

Lucy porter is good too. As is Josie Long, although admittedly she is certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Dhavaer
2009-05-09, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure if I've got his name right, but Akmal Sali is pretty good.

Cheesegear
2009-05-09, 06:49 AM
I particularly like David Strassman and Jeff Dunham. Ventriloquism is awesome!