PDA

View Full Version : Crowning Moments Of Awesome! (Spoilers to be hidden please!)

Fin
2009-03-24, 07:50 AM
Yes I know this probably has been done to death but I'm not one for resurrecting old threads so....

What are your favourite character's (from any media) Crowning Moments of Awesome? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SugarWiki/CrowningMomentOfAwesome?from=Main.CrowningMomentOf Awesome)

For me it would have to be Eddie Dean in the Dark Tower series of novels by Stephen King. When he finally proves he could convince the devil to set himself on fire! Just like his brother always said he could.

The part of the book where he sticks to his guns even in the face of the derision from Roland and uses his favourite joke/riddle to cause Blain the Mono to fail so spectacularly!

'Why did the dead baby cross the road? Because he was stapled to the chicken, YOU DOPEY ****!' Classic line!

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-24, 08:17 AM
Probably more a Crowning Moment of Funny, but it's easily one of the most memorable scenes I can call up.

From one of the Dresden Files:

When fighting a group of Black Court vampires, Harry redirects an entropy curse (basically a curse that kills you with Murphy's Law, if it can kill you, it probably will), shifting it from its intended target onto one of the vampires. For about 20 seconds, nothing happens...

...until a frozen turkey, somehow ejected from a high-flying airliner, hits the vamp at terminal velocity and stakes him. The entire fight just stops and everyone stares at what just happened. Harry's next line?

"For my next trick: anvils!"

I had to fight to keep from laughing out loud in the repair shop waiting room...

Blayze
2009-03-25, 08:16 AM
This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65n0PmvIm4)

"Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you!"

derfelcadarn
2009-03-25, 10:01 PM
In The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch(which is an awesome book, btw) - "I don't have to beat you.... I just have to hold you til Jean gets here...."

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-25, 10:46 PM
Probably more a Crowning Moment of Funny, but it's easily one of the most memorable scenes I can call up.

From one of the Dresden Files:

When fighting a group of Black Court vampires, Harry redirects an entropy curse (basically a curse that kills you with Murphy's Law, if it can kill you, it probably will), shifting it from its intended target onto one of the vampires. For about 20 seconds, nothing happens...

...until a frozen turkey, somehow ejected from a high-flying airliner, hits the vamp at terminal velocity and stakes him. The entire fight just stops and everyone stares at what just happened. Harry's next line?

"For my next trick: anvils!"

I had to fight to keep from laughing out loud in the repair shop waiting room...

I personally prefer when in the most recent book he defeats the Eldest Billygoat Gruff(note: this guy has killed multiple members of the White Council's High Council in magical duel) by asking for a Jelly Doughnut.

Or maybe it was when the Calvary comes over the hill riding a Helicopter with Ride of the Valkyries blaring. over the speakers, with and actual Valkyrie manning the helicopter's minigun.

Xondoure
2009-03-25, 10:48 PM
Not my favorite character, but this takes the cake for memorably awesome.
Jean Grey: hear me X-men; no longer am I the women you once knew... Now and forever. I am;
PHOENIX!
P.S there is more to this monologue but i can't remember the rest.

Mr. Scaly
2009-03-25, 11:09 PM
One of the better villains/anti-heroes to grace literature, the grand lord Golgren of the ogre nations Kern and Blode.

At the very end of 'The Black Talon' he stands before the crowd, screaming his name with wild adulaion and contemplates how this is not over...his enemies are all around him. The minotaurs, the Nerakans, the Solamnics, the Black Talon, the elves, and that all of them want him dead at best. He knows they'll strike again and soon. And he smiles. And he says "Come to me...I will show you fear."

Of course this is but ONE of his manymoments.

bosssmiley
2009-03-26, 06:42 AM
The second half of David Gemmell's "Legend" is nothing but a succession of crowning moments of awesome. G.R.R Martin cries himself to sleep wishing he could create scenes as evocative, or write characters half so good as Druss, Regnak, Ulric, Serbitar, Caessa, Orrin, or - hell - any of the bit-part characters.

"Legend": it really is that damn good. :smallcool:

Raz_Fox
2009-03-26, 08:01 AM
The Tenth Doctor has so very many, but one moment really sticks out in my mind...

"I'm the Doctor, and we're in the biggest library in the universe... Look me up!" What immediately followed was the monsters of the episode backing down in fear. Awesome.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-26, 08:28 AM
I personally prefer when in the most recent book he defeats the Eldest Billygoat Gruff(note: this guy has killed multiple members of the White Council's High Council in magical duel) by asking for a Jelly Doughnut.

Or maybe it was when the Calvary comes over the hill riding a Helicopter with Ride of the Valkyries blaring. over the speakers, with and actual Valkyrie manning the helicopter's minigun.

Haven't had the pleasure of getting into Small Favor yet...probably 'cause I wasn't willing to pay $10 for the paperback just because they decided to make book bigger than other paperbacks...

...which means I probably shouldn't have clicked the spoiler...

...oh well, just means I have that to look forward to :smallbiggrin:

The Tenth Doctor has so very many, but one moment really sticks out in my mind...

From the first episode of Doctor Who I saw (and probably horribly butchered, because it's been a while...):

"Now see, what we have here appears to be a button that under-no-circumstances-should-ever-ever-be-pressed. Now when I see a button that under-no-circumstances-should-ever-ever-be-pressed well I just have to *presses button*"

"No second chances...that's what kind of man I am..."

Graymayre
2009-03-26, 09:16 AM
One crowning moment of awesome would be in the novel "I am Legend where...
Robert Neville realizes that he is now a thing of fear of myth to the new vampiric race, just as vampires once were to humanity. coming to grips with this, he proclaims:

"I...am a superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

I am legend."