2006-08-14, 01:01 PM
Brightshade
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 9d10+18 (67 HP)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 feet
Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 Natural), Flat-Footed 14, Touch 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+11
Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+3 + Sun and Moon)
Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+3 + Sun and Moon)
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Sun and Moon, Spell-like abilities, Turn or Rebuke Undead
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/silver, Invisible in Shadow, Night and Day, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60'
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +10, Move Silently +10, Spot +1*, Listen +1*
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (Bite), Dodge
Environment: Any Land
Organization: Solitary or Pack (3-10)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Evil (see below)
Advancement: 10-12 HD (Medium), 13-24 HD (Large), 25-27 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Brightshades are quadrupedal predators about the size of wolves, whose appearance varies by the time. In bright light, indeed, any light giving full illumination, they are covered in black fur that seems to suck the light from the air around them, while in total darkness they are covered in always-gleaming white scales, despite the lack of light. In shadow, though, they are somewhere in between, and so are invisible. They do not speak, but can occasionally understand Infernal and Abyssal. They are sometimes thought to be creatures of balance, as they weild the powers and tactics of night during the day, and of day in the night.

Combat: Brightshades fight with different tactics depending on the time of day. In the night, they fight with amazing strength and directness, ignoring the supreme advantage their natural invisibility lends them, while during the day they skirmish, hide, and otherwise avoid direct confrontations.

Invisible in Shadow (ex): A Brightshade has no appearance in conditions of shadowy illumination; as such, it gains total concealment under such conditions, and others cannot tell which space it occupies. However, in total darkness it is visible as a faint glow, with only partial concealment (others can tell which space it occupies). Determine whether it is in bright illumination, shadowy illumination, or total darkness before taking low-light vision into account. This ability is not suppressed by an Invisibility Purge, but a See Invisible spell reveals it as a faint outline, as if in total darkness, and a True Seeing spell pinpoints it.

Night and Day (su): A Brightshade's powers vary with the time of day. Regardless of the time of day, a Brightshade is immune to negative energy effects, as per the Death Ward spell. At night, the Brightshade is also immune to Fire and Cold damage, gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC (not noted), and, whenever it moves at least 10', gains the ability to inflict 2d6 points of bonus damage and a +1 dodge bonus to AC until its next turn. Additionally, during the night it gains a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks. It always has a Chaotic alignment at night. During the day, a Brightshade gains immunity to Acid and Electrical damage, and to poison and disease, and gains the ability to make sneak attacks for 3d6 points of bonus damage, and a Lawful alignment. Its hearing enhances during the day, giving it a +8 racial bonus to listen checks. For one hour around dusk and one hour around dawn, the Brightshade has a Neutral alignment and the time is considered to be both Night and Day for all of the Brightshade's abilities; it has all of these immunities and abilities.

Sun and Moon (su): Any living creature bit by a Brightshade during the night must make a Fortitude save (DC 16) or be blinded for 1d6 rounds due to the Brightshade's eyes flaring with light directed only at the creature hit; on a critical hit, the blinding effect is permanent. Undead take 2d8 bonus damage from this bite. During the day, the Brightshade's bite inflicts 1d6 points of negative energy damage to living creatures (undead are unaffected), and forces the creature to make a DC 16 fortitude save or suffer one point of constitution damage. On a critical hit, the negative energy damage inflicted increases by 1d10, and no constitution damage is inflicted; instead, the creature gains a negative level, removed with a save of the same DC. All save DCs are charisma-based.

Spell-like abilities: The Brightshade's spell-like abilities differ depending on whether it is day or night. 5/night: Cure Moderate Wounds, Expeditious Retreat, Searing Light; 3/night: Bull's Strength, Fire Shield, Haste; 1/night: Prismatic Spray, Spell Resistance. 5/day: Fog Cloud, Jump, Mirror Image; 3/day Charm Monster, Confusion, Deeper Darkness; 1/day Baleful Polymorph, Hold Monster. These are all cast at a caster level two greater than the Brightshade's hit dice.

Turn or Rebuke Undead (su): The Brightshade can turn undead during the night, and rebuke them during the day, as a cleric of a level equal to its hit dice. It can use this ability a total of 5 times (3 + charisma modifier) per night or day.

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 01:08 PM
What happens if it's diseased during the night, and then it turns into day?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 01:13 PM
Unless I'm forgetting an interaction in its abilities, the disease would progress as normal during the night, but the damage would be suppressed during the day.

Also, I came up on a bit of a writer's block for feats. What kind of feats should this thing have, anyhow?

Hellseeker
2006-08-14, 02:00 PM
Also, I came up on a bit of a writer's block for feats. What kind of feats should this thing have, anyhow?

Weapon finesse? :-/

I likes, tho... shadow is big in my game... packs of invisible spell-casting wolves are exactly what I need.
>: ]

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 02:42 PM
Weapon finesse, right. I think I planned to put that on, but forgot about it; the attack bonus looks like I did. I stuck some other feats on to take advantage of its dexterity, too, just off the top of my head, but I'd still welcome suggestions for replacements.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-19, 04:00 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-08-25, 01:20 AM
Neat monster. A bit complex, but that's understandable, considering it basically needs two stat blocks, one for the night and one for the day. Its Natural Invisibility creates some interesting questions about its existence- it seems to almost fade from the world during the twilight hours.

MitP vote: Yes.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-26, 07:07 AM

asromta
2006-08-26, 07:17 AM

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-26, 12:37 PM
MitP vote: yes

Wow, this might be the first creature to actually be decided upon.

EDIT: I might be able to use this in my campaign too...oooh yeah.

Winged One
2006-08-29, 05:14 PM
MitP vote: yes.