Divine Grip

Transmutation
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You (see text)
Duration: 10/min. caster level

For 10/min. caster level, you are blessed with the might of your deity. Pick one weapon (not one type of weapon). When you roll a natural 1 on your attack, there is no chance that you drop this specific weapon. Also, you gain a +1/2 levels (maximum of +5) bonus to disarm checks made to prevent your enemy from disarming you. If you willingly drop your weapon, or are forced to by charm, you can pick it up and the spell is still in effect, as long as the duration has not ended. (You still cannot hit your opponent on a natural 1.)

I made up this spell a while back, but never remembered to post it here. It can be useful. Please comment.

Winged One
2006-08-28, 08:58 PM
Fluff-wise, it should give a bonus vs. disarm attempts. Oh, and was I the only one expecting something like this picture?
http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/cleric.jpg

Blood
2006-08-28, 09:02 PM
How much of a bonus would you suggest? Also, your picture is not showing up.

@v: Good idea, I'll add that.

Dhavaer
2006-08-28, 09:04 PM
Including the duration in the description is redundant, and it appears rather underpowered. I support the bonus to disarm checks, maybe +1/2 levels, maximum of +5?

Raum
2006-08-28, 11:31 PM
You may want to consider rephrasing it to give a bonus to Dex checks made to avoid fumbles (a +10 would be an automatic success unless the character has a negative Dex modifier). That seems to be the intent of the spell yet not all GMs use dropping a weapon as the fumble result.

Blood
2006-08-29, 09:40 AM
I have never heard of a DM that has characters drop other things than their weapons when rolling a natural 1 on their attack. That's obviously the base of the spell, since it also helps against disarming, so if DM's have characters fumble different things, they shouldn't use this spell.

Unless they have them drop something similar enough to have the spell be useful...

NullAshton
2006-08-29, 10:22 AM
Um. My DM, on a natural one, just has us miss. Like it says in the rules.

Blood
2006-08-29, 11:36 AM
Then don't use this spell. :)

I guess that it's been house-ruled for so long that I became used to it being normal.