PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter

Graymayre
2009-03-28, 07:45 AM
Has anyone seen this DVD? Is it any good? I notice that the title says "tales" and not "tale". Does it show more than just the story in the Watchmen Graphic novel?

revolver kobold
2009-03-28, 09:28 AM
I don't believe its out yet, but I will be grabbing it as soon at it hits the stores.

:edit: I stand corrected, it IS out. I fail at date comprehension. :smallsigh:

I'm more interested in the "Under the Hood" doco than I am the Tale of the Black Freighter though.

Athaniar
2009-03-30, 04:31 AM
I notice that the title says "tales" and not "tale". Does it show more than just the story in the Watchmen Graphic novel?

The name of the in-comic comic actually is Tales of the Black Freighter. The main story (i.e. the one we see the most of) is called Marooned.

Rutskarn
2009-03-30, 06:53 PM
Eh, I guess I don't really see the point. Cartoon, comic panel--not a lot of difference, to me. Especially since Tales of the Black Freighter is all about the narration--wouldn't bee too engaging to watch.

Yeah, methinks I'll pass.

Icewalker
2009-03-30, 07:03 PM
Well, it runs parallel with the story to make for an interesting addition from the common person's viewpoint. On it's own, it wouldn't be too engaging, but there will be a version of the movie that weaves them together as in the comic did. I believe it will also be re-released in theaters.

tape_measure
2009-03-31, 08:01 AM
Icewalker nailed it. They released that movie, along with another animated movie about the Watchmen as background info for the release of the big picture coming soon. I think they saw what happened with X-men and wanted everyone in the audience to know omre about every character, not just us fan-boys.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-31, 10:35 AM
I've bought it, but I haven't watched it.
Am actually planning to with a friend, eventually.
Someone tell me if its any good, if they see it before I do?

ghost_warlock
2009-04-01, 03:49 AM
Have it. Watched it. Loved it. :smallbiggrin: The end credits play to the "Black Freighter" song that partially inspired the story (as revealed in the making-of special feature).

The DVD also comes with a mockumentary interview-version of Under the Hood with Hollis; really expands the background of Hollis, Silk Spectre I, and the original Minutemen for the general viewer who's not as familiar with the comic.

The special features include a great making-of feature and the first chapter of the animated Watchmen comic as well.

Oh, and there's some noise about a Green Lantern something-or-other.

Mannryu
2009-04-02, 12:47 PM
I sure hope my friends doesn't find out that this DVD is already out.. If she does, she'll run to the store, buy simply ALL dvds, just because she can, and never moved away from her TV again. :smalleek: