PDA

View Full Version : Artificer build

Os1ris09
2009-03-28, 01:24 PM
I noticed the discussion on Artificers in the thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108047 and was wondering. What makes a good build? Can the GITP help me see a good build that is somewhat optimized in what artificers do best. Also can you please post the build so I can actually see what you are posting. Thanks again guys just me the simple fighter/brawler trying to understand magic. :smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2009-03-28, 01:47 PM
There's no one thing that artificers do best. IMO, what they do best is "I can do that better than you, given some time and money".

Here's a straight damage example, available as soon as you get the Metamagic Spell Trigger class ability....

1) Craft two or more CL1 Wands of Seeking Ray (and the occasional Scorching Ray for variety).

2) Take the "Split Ray" and "Dual Wand Weilding" feats.

3) Do 16d6 as a standard action, with no save and massive accuracy, for 78.75 gp per use (assuming Artisan feats), as often as you can afford to.

4) Take "Twin Spell" to do 36d6 as a standard action, with no save an massive accuracy, for 168.75 gp per use.

5) Craft yourself a Belt of Battle to 1/day deal 72d6 as a standard action, with no save an massive accuracy, for 337.5 gp per use.

monty
2009-03-28, 01:59 PM
Alternately, get Persistent Spell and use the Metamagic Item infusion, and watch Clericzilla go cry in the corner.

Os1ris09
2009-03-28, 02:20 PM
Okay well those both help me understand how an artificer is good. But can someone please post an actual build like feats, skills, items, etc and where to find those things. Thanks GITP :smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2009-03-28, 02:45 PM
Okay well those both help me understand how an artificer is good. But can someone please post an actual build like feats, skills, items, etc and where to find those things. Thanks GITP :smallbiggrin:

I think maybe you missed the point- there is no one Artificer build. You can make it do pretty much whatever you want, and the feats you'll want for it will depend on what you decide to do. That said.. there is one feat almost every Artificer is going to want: Extraordinary Craftsman, from the Eberron Campaign Setting. It reduces your gold cost to make stuff, and since so much of what the Artificer can do revolves around consumable magic items that's a big benefit.

Here's a couple of basic Artificer plans. The way they play is pretty much the same until level 7, when you get Metamagic Spell Trigger.

Levels 1-6: Buy a crossbow. Use the Personal Weapon Enhancement and Magic Weapon Infusions to make it a +1 Bane (Whatever you are fighting) weapon on demand. It's not the best once you get to level 4 or so, but you'll still be reasonably useful.

Blastificer: If you want to do direct damage, pick damage-enhancing metamagics as your open feats. Rays tend to be good damage for the level, and Split Ray is a cheap metamagic. Enhance/Empower/Twin/etc can be added as desired. Make wands of your favorite damaging ray spell, then blow stuff up with them by using the Metamagic Spell Trigger ability. This also works well for debuffing, with things like Split or Twinned Rays of Exhaustion or Enfeeblement, or both at once if you grabbed Dual Wand Wielder. If you find your damage output insufficient later on, switch to staves.

Buffificer: Instead of damage wands and damage-enhancing metamagics you make buffing wands and scrolls and take buff-enhancing metamagics, like Extend, Persist, and.. uh, well, there actually aren't all that many good buffing metamagics. Suppose you could Maximize some of the ones that have variable effects. Again, same deal as blasting: Use your ability to apply metamagic to things that can't normally benefit. You can also make good use of the spellcasting-like Infusions here, as most of them are buffs to start with.

monty
2009-03-28, 02:48 PM
That said.. there is one feat almost every Artificer is going to want: Extraordinary Craftsman, from the Eberron Campaign Setting. It reduces your gold cost to make stuff, and since so much of what the Artificer can do revolves around consumable magic items that's a big benefit.

This and the two other related feats. One reduces XP costs, and the other time. Depending on how much downtime you have in your campaign, you may or may not want the last one, but taking the other two practically triples your WBL instead of doubling it.

Waspinator
2009-03-28, 03:25 PM
Also, you probably want to make a "Dedicated Wright" homunculus. Basically, you hand it the XP and gold to make an item and then you can walk away and go on adventures while it finishes making it. Very nice for making big items during any campaign with time-critical elements.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-28, 04:03 PM
Artificer is one of those classes that do not need any prestige classes to be better, in fact, they are best without. Artificer 20 embodies anything you could ever want from the class, hands down. Getting the two Ebberon feats: Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan, after that the world is yours for the taking.

monty
2009-03-28, 04:16 PM
Artificer is one of those classes that do not need any prestige classes to be better, in fact, they are best without. Artificer 20 embodies anything you could ever want from the class, hands down.

There are only two classes that I know of that don't benefit from prestige classes: Druid (except Planar Shepherd, but that's like saying that Superman can't be improved except by giving him immunity to Kryptonite) and Artificer. That should say something about it.

Os1ris09
2009-03-28, 05:12 PM
Okay well thank you GITP for helping me understand why artificer is so bad a*****.

Maybe I didn't word my question right and I apologize for that. I was hoping someone would post a build so I can see what they look like. You the feats that make it good in one area and the feats that make it good in another with the books there in.

I was thinking of multiclassin into it with in another campaign or suggesting it to a friend because our party is "magicless". Lol that level 30 campaign I am in has no main arcane guy. We have a rogue/bard going into sublime chord, warlock (the person I may suggest it too), me Ranger/Scout/Dervish, and a straight cleric.

So I guess my question was can you guys post examples and stuff so i can read it for myself and then come back with questions. It's kind of how I learn.

Thanks GITP :smallbiggrin:

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-28, 05:23 PM
Artificer's Handbook. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=520855)

Bayar
2009-03-29, 04:20 AM
Also, you probably want to make a "Dedicated Wright" homunculus. Basically, you hand it the XP and gold to make an item and then you can walk away and go on adventures while it finishes making it. Very nice for making big items during any campaign with time-critical elements.

NONONO. You put the Wright in a portable hole and carry it everywhere so you always have anything you need at your person.

Heh, it is like a ammo cheat code for the alchemical flask throwing rogue.

Waspinator
2009-03-29, 04:59 AM
Won't you need to construct some kind of magical lab in your portable hole to do that?

mostlyharmful
2009-03-29, 05:02 AM
There's also the quill that does the same for scrolls, Eberron magic suppliment I think.

Really Artifacer's all about the items not the PrCs or even (much) the feats. Pick up craft feats you don't get automatically if you want to do something special like build a portal network, the cost reducers (plus magical Artisan from FRCS if you can talk your DM into cross world feats) and as many metamagics (extend, persist, split ray, twin, empower, maximize, chain being the first few off the top of my head) and then sit down to do your homework.

Artifacers have Infusions, crafting and skills/trapfinding.

Max Int for Infusions and backup skill monkeying. Once you've worked out what feats and skills you'll be taking (max UMD, Spellcraft, Diasable Device, Search, Open Lock in that order and scatter the rest as you'd like, you should have a nice high number since Int is you primary stat, not Cha whatever the books say) then work out which items you don't actually need by going through the infusions list and replacing standerd gear for yourself and others.

By then you should have a lot of haoppy team mates and a big pile of GP to cook up your tools, a Dedicated Wright homonculous down a portable hole as has been said is the standerd magic item factory, you can have several at once down there if it isn't keeping up with your needs.

Wands and Scrolls are your nova equipment, with your infusions you shouldn't need these every time to save money and xp but when you need them you should be able to crank out the damage or whip out a spell beyound the parties level on a scroll ludicrously often compared to a full caster.

So take Human, Dwarf or Warforged as race,

Stats are Int>Cha>Con>Dex>Wis>Str
Starting feats are something like legendary artisan, Extraordinary Artisan (Exceptional Artisan if human) and pick up metas from there

side note, the Errata for the reducer feats says they can each be taken only once so no reducing costs down to nothing.

Bayar
2009-03-29, 06:44 AM
Artificiers are caster class. They are better off without PrC. Artificier 20 is a good solid build.

Also, I prefer taking catfolk and acting like an engineer. Grabbing Craft Construct as a feat at level 9 and trying to create my own mecka. yeah, I dont always get metamagic feats, my gaming group are creating characters using Redblade :sigh: