PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight PrC (PEAR)

Seraph
2006-07-16, 03:29 PM
Hey! Goth-boy!” Brezock the Barbarian shoved a man clad in black full-plate, who sat at the bar. “I hear you’ve got a price on your head, see? Sounds like you killed the entire Town Guard of some town out in the boondocks!”

“the Guard Captain was on the take from some bandits,” Said the Armored Man Coldly, setting his tankard down, “and he did nothing while those bandits murdered my fiancée.”

“Oh? Well, that’s a nice sob-story, but for 10,000 gold pieces, me and my buddies don’t give a Kobold’s Ass!”

“Very well, then,” said the Armored Man, standing up. Rapidly unlimbering a scythe from his back, the man slashed across the Air.

The last thing Brezock ever saw was a roiling wave of Darkness boiling over his body . . .

Many people have suffered a grave disaster, and Risen from it with their beliefs and morals strengthened. Others suffer, and are destroyed. However, Some take a Different way – they become a little tarnished, a little corrupted, but hone themselves into something greater, determined to prevent this from happening to them again –

- And making sure those responsible suffer by their hand.

Such is the Dark Knight, a warrior whom has suffered a tragedy and has risen from their own ashes, determined to seek vengeance and champion a twisted form of their own morals.

Prerequisites:

Alignment: Any Non-good
BAB: +8
Feats: Weapon Specialization in any two-handed Weapon, Power Attack
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 6 Ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks
Special: Must have suffered a personal crisis and subsequently shifted one step towards Evil

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Darkseraph15/darkknight.jpg

Hit Die: d10
Base Attack Bonus: Full
Fortitude save: Good
Reflex Save: Poor
Will Save: Good

Class Skills

skill points per level: 2 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Spellcraft (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (int)

Class Features:

Bonus feats: at 1st, 3rd, and 5th level, the Dark Knight gains bonus feats from the Fighter Bonus Feat list.

Spellcasting: a Dark Knight studies the Arcane, and learns to cast arcane spells at 2nd level. The Dark Knight uses Intelligence as his dependent skill for spellcasting, and learns and prepares spells in the manner of a wizard. However, they may only learn and cast spells from the Evocation and Necromancy schools.

Dark Strike (Su): The Dark Knight has learned how to convert positive energy into negative energy, and can use their own life force to power a melee attack. As a Standard Action, the Dark Knight may make a single Melee attack against an enemy. This does damage as normal, plus 2d8 negative energy damage. In return, the Dark Knight takes 2d6 untyped damage that cannot be negated in any way, including damage reduction. The Negative Energy bonus increases by 1d8 every odd level, totaling as 6d8 at 10th.

Reckless Assault (Ex): a Dark Knight sometimes cares less for their own safety as they do for the death of the enemy. A Dark Knight may sacrifice AC for a bonus to attack rolls. The attack bonus is equal to the sacrificed AC, but cannot exceed the Dark Knight’s Class Levels.

Aura of Fear (Su): a Dark Knight exudes a kind of unsettling intensity that unbalances foes. Enemies with HD lower than the Dark Knight must make a Will Save (DC 10 + DK Class Level + CHA Mod) to attack the Dark Knight, though they may attack allies normally. While Aura of Fear is active, the Dark Knight gains a +5 Morale Bonus to Intimidate Checks. Activating the Aura is a standard action, and it consumes 1 HP per round, and it may be dispelled as a free action on the Dark Knight’s turn.

Quivering Weapon (Ex): the Dark Knight is familiar with the heft and balance of their chosen weapon to the point that they may make extremely delicate motions with it. Whenever the Dark Knight has their weapon in their hands, they do not suffer ASF when using spells they have learned as a Dark Knight. However, if the Dark Knight loses their weapon or it is destroyed, they must familiarize themselves with a new weapon before they may use this ability again. Adjusting to a weapon takes 1d4 days.

Dark Wave (Su): the Dark Knight gains even greater knowledge of Negative energy as they gain power, and the Dark Wave is a perfect example. As a Full Round Action, the Dark Knight generates a 40’ cone of negative energy that deals Dark Strike damage to all enemies in the area. In return, the Dark Knight takes 4d6 unblockable damage.

Drain (Su): the Dark Knight can, eventually, harness life force that has recently been released, such as when someone is wounded. Once per day, when the Dark Knight makes a melee attack, the Dark Knight is healed an amount of HP equal to the damage dealt. The Dark Knight gains an additional use of this every other level after 6th, totaling at three uses at 10th.

Soul Eater (Su): the Dark Knight has become a magnet for the souls of those they have killed. Whenever a Dark Knight kills an enemy, the soul is absorbed by the Dark Knight, healing them 2 points of HP per HD of the slain enemy. Souls taken this way cannot be resurrected unless the Dark Knight frees them or the soul is removed via a wish spell. All collected souls are freed if the Dark Knight is killed. The Dark Knight gains a +1 bonus to damage rolls for every soul absorbed in the last 24 hours.

Dark Burst (Su): the Dark Knight has learned an ultimate form of negative energy manipulation. As a full attack, the Dark Knight may release almost all of their life force in a burst of destructive energy. The Dark Knight is reduced to –9 HP automatically, and all enemies within 50’ of the Dark Knight must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + DK Class Level + CON Mod) or die. Passing the save means permanent loss of one level, which may only be restored via a wish or miracle. The Soul Eater ability does not apply when using Dark Burst.

edit: huh. wonder what I need to chop off that table to keep the page from stretching.

edit 2: fixed.

Catch
2006-07-16, 03:49 PM
A couple of quips, I have.

One, in terms of ability descriptions, don't say "as a full attack," use the term "full round action," unless you want the ability to come in to effect when the character makes a full-attack.

Two, I don't think the Dark Strike/Dark Wave abilities are worth it, in all honesty. I'd rather get a sneak attack or skirmish damage than take almost as much damage as I deal. I'd choose another restricting factor than taking damage yourself. Evil doesn't generally like self-sacrifice; it's selfish like that. With that said, I'd limit the Dark Wave ability to X/day and I think that making Dark Strike only work with a single melee attack would be enough of a balancing factor. Dark Strike would work just fine as a standard action, actually.

And finally, you need to make a "Spells Known" table for this class.

Nice work.

Hurlbut
2006-07-16, 03:55 PM
I would change the Dark Strike to dealing d6 instead and doing d4 to the Dark Knight in return. It's more of keeping the number same like skrimish, sneak, and eldtich attacks.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-16, 03:56 PM
...This is based off of FF2, isn't it?

It's rather nifty.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-16, 03:57 PM
I would change the Dark Strike to dealing d6 instead and doing d4 to the Dark Knight in return. It's more of keeping the number same like skrimish, sneak, and eldtich attacks.
Precedent: Soulknife uses d8s.

Raum
2006-07-16, 03:59 PM
It's an interesting PrC. I like the concept.

However, the Dark Strike ability seems a bit overpowered as something usable anytime he has a ful round attack available. It would be better with a limited number of uses per day or, alternatively, doing lesser damage. It's even more overpowered when combined with Soul Eater. Regarding Soul Eater, it's encroaching on the territory of gods to prevent souls from going on to the worshipped god's plane. I'd expect they'd have something to say about it..

A couple other comments, the class has too many powerful abilities to have full BAB, two good saves, and d10 hit die. Soemthing should be reduced. And finally, your save DC calculations may be overpowered. Even if you are defining "Class level" as the levels taken in Dark Knight, a 10th level Dark Knight will have a better save than pure casters with equivalent abilities.

Seraph
2006-07-16, 04:01 PM
And finally, you need to make a "Spells Known" table for this class.

it learns spells like a wizard, they don't have an upper limit on spells known so long as they shell out for research and putting it in their spellbook. and the flavor isn't Evil so much as Hardcore.

Hurlbut
2006-07-16, 04:03 PM
Precedent: Soulknife uses d8s.I don't know that PrC.

Seraph
2006-07-16, 04:05 PM
Regarding Soul Eater, it's encroaching on the territory of gods to prevent souls from going on to the worshipped god's plane. I'd expect they'd have something to say about it..

you'd think they'd have something to say about thinaun on the same grounds, but they don't smite anyone who crafts a dagger out of the stuff.

And finally, your save DC calculations may be overpowered. Even if you are defining "Class level" as the levels taken in Dark Knight, a 10th level Dark Knight will have a better save than pure casters with equivalent abilities.

it's standard DC calculation. 10 + class level + ability mod.

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-16, 04:05 PM
I don't know that PrC.

its a Psionic base class.

http://d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm

Raum
2006-07-16, 04:13 PM
you'd think they'd have something to say about thinaun on the same grounds, but they don't smite anyone who crafts a dagger out of the stuff.
I haven't seen that one, what's the reference? Out of curiosity, what are the abilities of a thinaun weapon? Something close to morganti weapons in Steven Brust's novels?

it's standard DC calculation. 10 + class level + ability mod.
Yes, but it's usually specified as "knight's class level". That's what I was trying to clarify.

Hurlbut
2006-07-16, 04:17 PM
Precedent: Soulknife uses d8s.
Please name a non Psionic one.

Seraph
2006-07-16, 04:25 PM
I haven't seen that one, what's the reference? Out of curiosity, what are the abilities of a thinaun weapon? Something close to morganti weapons in Steven Brust's novels?

basically, anyone killed with a thinaun weapon has their soul trapped in the metal indefinitely.

Yes, but it's usually specified as "knight's class level". That's what I was trying to clarify.

'kay.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-16, 06:17 PM
Please name a non Psionic one.
Why? It's a base class that's considered Core enough to be included in the SRD. I think that qualifies it as precedent enough.

Hurlbut
2006-07-16, 06:33 PM
Why? It's a base class that's considered Core enough to be included in the SRD. I think that qualifies it as precedent enough.
But it is not included in the Core set books.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-16, 06:35 PM
But it is not included in the Core set books.
Uh... SRD=Core.

Hurlbut
2006-07-16, 06:38 PM
Uh... SRD=Core.
ACtually that site you use, it's divided between Core and Supplement SRDs, your Psion is in the later one.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-16, 06:46 PM
ACtually that site you use, it's divided between Core and Supplement SRDs, your Psion is in the later one.
"Site I use"? I referenced no websites, just the SRD.

And besides, I'm only pointing out precedent. In addition to precedent, the Dark Knight detailed here receives less dice than a rogue or other standard sneak attack advancing class receives, a total of six dice at 9th level. Considering he has to be 8th level to get in (BAB +8 req.), that means that a 17th level Rogue (which is at an equal level) would receive +8d6.

8d6 has a better average damage than 6d8, even if the damage maximum is the same, because the damage minimum changes from six to eight. It's not much, but it's a bit.

To top it off, the Dark Knight has to expend hit points (2d6 of them) in order to gain this ability once, and can only do it once in a round. Meanwhile, the equi-leveled Rogue can sneak attack without hit point expenditure, and can do it multiple times in one round, potentially with more than one weapon. The way this is written, Dark Strike doesn't work with two weapons, while Sneak Attack does.

Sneak Attack is far better. All the Dark Strike does is tack some extra damage on.

Ojoxsofeta
2006-07-16, 07:23 PM
8d6 has a better average damage than 6d8, even if the damage maximum is the same, because the damage minimum changes from six to eight. It's not much, but it's a bit.

Just to strengthen this argument with some numbers other than minimum damage (and because game balance is based off of average rolls):

average roll on a d8=4.5
average roll on a d6=3.5

average on 6d8= 27
average on 8d6=28

Thusly, there is an average increase of 1 point of damage on rolling the 8d6 than the 6d8.

Now, in the sense of gaming terms, using d6s are more friendly to players because they are more likely to have d6s than any other dice save the d20.

For example, I have app. 20 d6s in my main dice box, compared to four or five d8s. (Disintegrate for the win!)

To comment on the class, I have the following thoughts:

-Ditch the stacking levels for fighter feat requirements. Quit stealing the fighter's thunder.

(For example, a clr10/dark knight 4 could take weapon spec).

-I would make a uniform die for damage dealt, through Dark Strike, Dark Wave and the resultant damage to himself.

-The damage dealt back to the DK should scale somewhat as well; perhaps not linearly, but the damage dealt should not increase while the damage dealt remains the same. (Esp. with increasing HD/Con mod).

-Lastly, I would create some method of limiting the number of spells known. It doesn't seem right.

Squangos
2006-07-17, 09:25 AM
Since you referenced Skirmish attacks and Edritch Blasts (both from non-core books not referenced in the SRD), Hurlbut… Anyway, I digress.

Even though this is horribly angst-ridden, I like it. All the class abilities sound fun, the Dark attacks are funky (though useless against the undead… change to entropic damage like the Doomlord PrC deals, maybe?), the BAB and saves make sense (might think about reducing the hit die to d8, if you need to balance it more)… Good.

Fizban
2006-08-27, 09:25 PM
I know it's only up here cause it got moved, but still:
I like. I second the idea of changing it to entropic damage so you can mow down hordes of zombies as well. For spellcasting I would change it to spontaneous casting based off cha, probly using the same spells per day/known as the Assassin, but class list of all evocation/necromancy spells.
It captures the dark knight image very nicely. I suddenly want to play a fighter.

Behold_the_Void
2006-08-28, 11:59 AM
With those skill, feat, and BAB requirements this class is an absolute nightmare to get into.

Uber_Nerd
2006-08-28, 01:33 PM
Quivering Weapon (Ex): the Dark Knight is familiar with the heft and balance of their chosen weapon to the point that they may make extremely delicate motions with it. Whenever the Dark Knight has their weapon in their hands, they do not suffer ASF when using spells they have learned as a Dark Knight. However, if the Dark Knight loses their weapon or it is destroyed, they must familiarize themselves with a new weapon before they may use this ability again. Adjusting to a weapon takes 1d4 days.

Weapons don't have spell failure.

Athanatos
2006-08-28, 01:42 PM
I think he means that armor doesn't cause ASF when he's wielding that weapon.

Uber_Nerd
2006-08-28, 01:59 PM
oh.. That makes more sense.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-28, 06:18 PM
Please name a non Psionic one.I think the Order of the Bow Initiate uses d8s.