PDA

View Full Version : Married itP

Occasional Sage
2009-03-30, 07:53 PM
I've seen a lot of references recently to husbands and wives of Playgrounders. Really, more than what I would have thought a reasonable number, which makes me curious.

So how many of us are married*? How many married folks are both Playgrounders?

I am married, but am the only one of us who has an appreciation for RPGs and webcomics and the like. We share a lot of geekeries, but nothing that would bring her here.

*in which I include folks who are not allowed to marry legally, or are opposed to marriage but not lifetime commitments, and such

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-30, 07:58 PM
one of these days...

Sneak
2009-03-30, 08:01 PM
I'm married.

THAC0
2009-03-30, 08:14 PM
I'm married. He reads OOTS but doesn't frequent the forums.

blackfox
2009-03-30, 08:19 PM
I'm married.News to me. How'd I manage to sleep through *that* one?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-30, 08:51 PM
Married for 18 years this summer, June the... um... 24th?

:smallbiggrin:

Just kidding on the hesitation. Yes, 18 years, (ALL OF THEM IN A ROW!), and still happy!

Unfortunately, my wife is neither a Playgrounder, nor a D&D geek. Her game is poker, and I advise you not to bring any more than you can afford to lose. :smallcool:

Two wonderful kids, our daughter is 16, while our son is 8. The 16 year old played D&D a bit when she was 8 or 9, but not anymore, and my 8 year old goes with me every weekend.

And a dog, who begs for human food every chance he gets, but doesn't play any games... On the other hand, he does lick his... And I guess that's entertainment enough for him! My daughter's boyfriend once said he wished he could do that as well, but I warned him that the dog would bite!

Old Geeks Rule!

dish
2009-03-30, 08:55 PM
I'm married. My husband is mainland Chinese, so I don't think he's ever going to understand D&D / RPG / OOTS - though Science Fiction is getting very popular over here, so there is hope. Anyway, hanging around all the time on forums is something that the mainland Chinese love to do, so he totally understands what I'm doing in the playground.

Recaiden
2009-03-30, 09:02 PM
I'm married.

When did this happen? I suppose it's possible you fall under the not legally allowed to marry or have really weird parents, but...:smalleek:
Anyway, Congratulations, Sneak.

Sneak
2009-03-30, 09:05 PM
OK, you called my bluff, I'm not married.

I do have cats, though.

Hell Puppi
2009-03-30, 09:11 PM
Married...he's the one who got me to read OOTS.

OverdrivePrime
2009-03-30, 10:11 PM
It'll be 8 years of a very happy marriage for my wife and me this October. No kids (maybe that's why we're so happy), just a very, very spoiled golden retriever named Fable.

Mephibosheth
2009-03-31, 11:56 AM
Also married. Relatively recently, in point of fact. May 24, 2008. My wife is not a gamer, nor is she nearly as nerdy as I am, but she does like Star Wars and MST3K a lot...

Jibar
2009-03-31, 12:09 PM
I'm married.

To my job.

Telonius
2009-03-31, 12:13 PM
Married since 2005. Despite years of cajoling, I've been unable to get her into D&D. I have, however, gotten an agreement that the kids will be indoctrinated .. ahem, introduced to gaming by 3rd grade at the latest. With the first one due this August (we think it's a girl :smallsmile:) I'm just counting the years. :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2009-03-31, 02:40 PM
Married since 2005. Despite years of cajoling, I've been unable to get her into D&D. I have, however, gotten an agreement that the kids will be indoctrinated .. ahem, introduced to gaming by 3rd grade at the latest. With the first one due this August (we think it's a girl :smallsmile:) I'm just counting the years. :smallbiggrin:

Hey, congratulations! Our first arrives on (theoretically) the 30th.

Married...he's the one who got me to read OOTS.

Quincunx, just because I need to see who is behind those posts.

I feel that need too. Though I probably wouldn't actually meet her, just follow behind Jane Goodall style and write things down in a notebook.
Mostly because I'm not very good at conversation....and she scares me a little. :smalleek:

Is it just me, or is this juxtaposition interesting?

The Valiant Turtle
2009-03-31, 08:22 PM
I'm married as well. Wife doesn't do any RPGs, but does enjoy good board games and a few video games occasionally.

Quincunx
2009-04-01, 05:33 AM
. . .It's just you. (Wrong thread, too, they're discussing my weirdness on the Meet a Playgrounder one. ((points)) )

We're an Internet romance gone well, and resolved to never again get involved in the levels of drama it took to meet in RL in the first place. He reads OotS but doesn't lurk on roleplaying forums generally, enjoys diplomacy and Diplomacy, and has forgotten more about computer programming than I have ever known. We raid in MMOs (he likes to play essential classes, I like to play ones not populated by the female flavor of idiot*), trade reads, coo over our feline overlords, and enjoy extending the "Last to Know" list of aggravated mutual friends who somehow missed the announcement we were together.

Which leads to misunderstandings of its own. Paraphrased and translated:

Me (playing Neato Necro Gnomie Girl): Nightnight!
Friend: Heh, your mom is telling you to go to bed, huh?
Me (gnomie): Nope! I'm a grownup!
(at this point the penny drops)
Me (dropping RP): Didn't the whole I'm-married-to-Star thing tip you off?
Friend: Oh.
Friend: I thought he was a guy. . .
(at this point the other penny drops)
Me: He's a guy. . .
Me: I'm a girl.
Friend: OMG I'm so sorry! I've been speaking to you so harshly!!! Please forgive me!
Me: It's ok! I hang out with other necromancers! Wait, you're not nearly so rude as them, what are you apologizing for? . . .

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-02, 09:44 PM
I am married, but am the only one of us who has an appreciation for RPGs and webcomics and the like. We share a lot of geekeries, but nothing that would bring her here.

Ditto here. The one time I coaxed her into making a character she made a female sorceress named "Hermione." No imagination.

Maybe when my kids are older they'll play some D&D with their old man. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-02, 10:00 PM
There is hope for you oldgeeks, yet.

My dad intorduced me to D&D.

Also, not married, but wanted to give the oldgeeks some hope.

AmberEye
2009-04-02, 10:42 PM
Happily married to fellow Playgrounder Irving for over 6 years, with a 5-year-old daughter and two cats. He was the one who pulled me into Giant in the Playground PBP.

Ours was a LARP romance originally. We saw each other at two Atlanta LARPs, both sets of characters got romantically involved IP, and we realized there might be something to this OOP. The particular games that we played had numerous couples, both married and committed (including at least one gay couple). Later, when day care was tough to find for weekend events, we moved to hosting another family for tabletop -- we'd cook supper together, put the kids to bed, then start up the game over dessert and coffee. Just like any other adult friends getting together, except we're planning how to outrun the Darklord after reading "Good Night Moon".

Yeah, Ravenloft politics is our pillow talk and parenting has given us new insight in kender psychology :smallsmile:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2009-04-03, 01:29 AM
I'm married.

To my job.

Well, at least if you have any problems you can work on them? Just make sure you don't get caught sleeping on the job:smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2009-04-03, 01:47 AM
Married. This year it's tenth anniversary.

Three kids, 9, 7 and 4. I try to introduce the older into DnD just now (already made a character sheet with him)

Hell Puppi
2009-04-03, 03:36 AM
Is it just me, or is this juxtaposition interesting?

O_o

...are you stalking me?

Kidding :smallbiggrin:...but what do you find interesting? The fact that I can't hold a conversation and yet am married, or the fact that I would follow around Quincunx?

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-03, 05:19 AM
I'm married! Does anyone not know that yet? :smallcool:

I met her (in person) at the first Johnson City, TN GitP meetup (#3 is linked in my sig, you want to go, you know you do...), though we communicated non-romantically prior to that. And you're darned tootin' she reads the forums, keepin' tabs on all you miscreants out there. :smallwink:

*is still waiting for Rich to grant me Mod-in-law status so I can start posting in Purple :smalltongue: *

billtodamax
2009-04-03, 06:34 AM
You could just post in purple anyway.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-03, 07:13 AM
Kidding :smallbiggrin:...but what do you find interesting? The fact that I can't hold a conversation and yet am married, or the fact that I would follow around Quincunx?

The first. The second is just... like breathing. And no, I'm not a stalker, not when I make sane and balanced comments like that one! :smallwink:

I dunno, I read the two statements within minutes of each other and while I can see how they COULD fit together, they're not a pair that are an intuitive match y'know?

Hzurr
2009-04-03, 09:48 AM
I'll be tying the knot next January. 9 months from yesterday, to be more specific. My wife-to-be is not a gamer, by any sense of the word (and around her, I don't really talk about most of my nerdy habits. My gamer-life is fully in the closet), however, she is aware that I'm a bit of a geek sometimes, and puts up with it.

Heh, the closest thing she does to gaming is playing the Aladdin game on my SNES. It's pretty entertaining to watch...

The_Librarian
2009-04-03, 11:06 AM
I've also tied the knot. We're both very geeky, but I'm the role-playing, fantasy type geek and he's the Linux programming sci-fi sort of geek. We have separate computers :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-03, 11:08 AM
That reminds me, Libris: I need you to go ahead and send me the wedding pictures again. My computer crashed since then.

Jibar
2009-04-03, 02:46 PM
Well, at least if you have any problems you can work on them? Just make sure you don't get caught sleeping on the job:smalltongue:

...I missed you Death.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-03, 09:55 PM
The first. The second is just... like breathing. And no, I'm not a stalker, not when I make sane and balanced comments like that one! :smallwink:

I dunno, I read the two statements within minutes of each other and while I can see how they COULD fit together, they're not a pair that are an intuitive match y'know?

My husband is extremely hyper, talkative, intense person. We kinda balance each other out.

How we got together went something like this:

Him: "You play RPG's?"
Me: "Yes I play RPGs."
Him: "You like Star Wars?"
Me: "Heck yes I like Star Wars."
Him: 'Wanna go make out?"
Me: "After this game of DoD."

...well not exactly but close. Apparently it's pretty easy to land a male if you're a geeky female.

Krrth
2009-04-03, 10:21 PM
'Tis married going on three years now, and still happy.

BlueWizard
2009-04-04, 02:44 AM
I'm married. My wife has an avatar somewhere around here.

EmeraldRose
2009-04-05, 10:00 AM
Andre and I met at the DnD table. Married 7 years now, with a 6 year old gamer-in-training, and a 4 month old who will almost certainly be a gamer too...

Darth Stabber
2009-04-06, 03:19 PM
Looking to join you guys in the near future. Fiance not particularly interested in PnP RPGs, but loves starwars and especially the KoTOR series. We may try LARP'ing this summer, and since neither of us have done it before we can be n00bs together.

Coidzor
2009-04-08, 01:09 AM
How much did y'all spend on the engagement ring? And was a separate wedding ring also purchased?

Occasional Sage
2009-04-08, 01:14 AM
We had her set custom-designed and made, but supplied the stones for her rings ourselves rather than buying from the jeweler. So, we're enough of an anomaly that I don't think we're a useful datum.

Killer Angel
2009-04-08, 01:43 AM
I'm married since 2004, and a gamer since 1990.
So my wife knows very well my priorities... :smallbiggrin:

(don't worry too much for her: I'm a very conscientious husband and D&D it's not on the first place :smallwink:)

Quincunx
2009-04-08, 05:12 AM
100 SEK! (Buy the first band at full price and get the second for. . .) Boy, did the customs agent give my declarations a funny look once I converted that into U.S. dollars. I don't have a rock, I don't want a rock, we couldn't've afforded a rock at the time.

banjo1985
2009-04-08, 07:08 AM
Not married yet, but me and Mrs Banjo are getting married next May. We're both gamers and big board gamers, which Mrs B blames me for. :smalltongue:

THAC0
2009-04-08, 12:05 PM
How much did y'all spend on the engagement ring? And was a separate wedding ring also purchased?

We spent just under 2k on the ring, and about $500 total for both wedding bands.

Hzurr
2009-04-08, 04:33 PM
Gah... ring shopping. That was stressful. I definitely recommend you shop around a lot, to get a better feel for what you want, and what a reasonable price is. I ended up getting a very good deal, and spent about 2.5k on the engagement ring (getting the quality of ring I'd seen for around 3-4k at other places).

We haven't gotten the bands yet, but we've looked a little bit, and it's looking about like what THAC0 said (~$500 for the pair).

Fun side note: For the guy, don't get a titanium wedding band. They look cool, and they're getting popular, but if for some reason you get into an accident, and the hospital needs to cut the ring so they can get to something more important (say, your fingers), most places don't have the equipment to cut through a titanium ring. No matter how cool the ring looks, it's not worth losing your finger over just because a hospital couldn't cut through it.

(Ahh the things you learn from friends who are nurses)

pendell
2009-04-08, 07:07 PM
Married for 15 years, since 1 FEB 1994. We both read OOTS together, but only I frequent the forums. Though she was looking over my shoulder a moment ago.

... which is why I must now say that Susan is the kindest, most wonderful human being I have ever known.

... yeah, she's still there. Said something about 'bull'. Ah, that's marriage.

Happiness is marrying a gamer chick.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Coidzor
2009-04-08, 07:38 PM
100 SEK! (Buy the first band at full price and get the second for. . .) Boy, did the customs agent give my declarations a funny look once I converted that into U.S. dollars. I don't have a rock, I don't want a rock, we couldn't've afforded a rock at the time.

What's SEK? ... Also, What was it made out of?

And what are you supposed to do with the engagement ring if you're also supposed to be wearing a different wedding band/ring?

V: On the same finger? Or one on the left ring finger and the other on the right ring finger? If so? Which on which?

...Where does the ring go? I suddenly find my mind going blank as to whether wedding/engagement rings go on right or left hand....

THAC0
2009-04-08, 08:33 PM
And what are you supposed to do with the engagement ring if you're also supposed to be wearing a different wedding band/ring?

I wear my e-ring and my wedding ring together...

Alteran
2009-04-08, 08:38 PM
What's SEK?

...No. Too easy.

I believe it stands for Swedish Krona.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-08, 09:45 PM
What's SEK?

V: On the same finger? Or one on the left ring finger and the other on the right ring finger? If so? Which on which?

...Where does the ring go? I suddenly find my mind going blank as to whether wedding/engagement rings go on right or left hand....

Wedding and engagement rings are worn on the left hand. Typically the woman's engagement and wedding rings are worn together on the left hand and are made to be a set (my mom had hers welded together, although I think there's another word for that), although they are sometimes worn apart (the engagement ring with the large, raised central stone is sub-optimal when changing diapers, for instance).

Together or separate at any given time is a matter of personal taste and pragmatism, really.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-09, 01:38 AM
No engagement ring, spent $150 to repair my grandmother's wedding ring.

It means a lot to me, but I'll probably end up getting another ring further down the road so this one doesn't end up breaking again and I can pass it on to someone else.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-09, 03:29 AM
That's a nice touch.

Quincunx
2009-04-09, 04:19 AM
...No. Too easy.

I believe it stands for Swedish Krona.

Correct. Gold prices were still depressed at the time; that particular buy-one-get-one-cheap offer is long gone. It's hallmarked with the three crowns and 18K, but is extremely thin--the perfect band for a wedding on no budget whatsoever. (This will cause problems later down the line with another ring--18K is too pure and soft and a band with more alloy will wear it down if they're rubbing together all day, every day.) HellPuppi has reminded me that I could have had the same remodeling done with my late grandmother's ring, but it's ill-omened.

Another wrinkle in ring relations: my mother's anniversary ring (I forgot which anniversary it was) was one of those 'ring jackets' designed to fit around a single-stone ring and add more jewels to the side. They stacked on her finger from the palm outwards as plain wedding band, next single-stone engagement ring, anniversary ring jacket last, and from the outside looked like a plain band lying next to a ring with multiple jewels.

Krrth
2009-04-09, 08:57 AM

We ironically enough bought two sets of wedding rings, as the first set we ordered got delayed and wasn't going to make it to us in time.

I have no idea how much the engagement ring is worth, since I got it at cost. (gotta love it when your SO works in a jewelry store.) I paid around $500 though.