PDA

View Full Version : Akinator, the Web Genius

Mirrinus
2009-03-30, 08:53 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8136/1380313.jpg

Can you beat the Akinator Genie (http://en.akinator.com/)?

Just think of any character, real or fictional, and answer his questions truthfully, and he will try to guess the character. The Genie's knowledge is quite broad. You can try to stump him with some really obscure characters, but you'd be surprised when he manages to occassionally even beat you there. I've seen him correctly guess a minor boss from a recently-released demo game of an obscure series only available in Japan.

And remember: like any shonen hero, the Genie will become stronger each time he is defeated.

So, which characters were you able to stump him with? Or which characters were you surprised by when he guessed correctly?

Ascension
2009-03-30, 09:09 PM
What gets me is that I sometimes don't think that the questions he asks are enough to get the answer, yet it's still always who I was thinking of. He correctly guessed Anew Returner after a series of questions I don't think narrowed the field sufficiently.

EDIT: Ah, I did manage to defeat him that last time, and the character I was actually thinking of was part of a fairly short list of characters who all met the criteria I had entered, including the one I meant. I guess he'll know to ask more questions in that scenario next time.

Tensu
2009-03-30, 09:14 PM
I beat him with wolf link.

although I probably cheated, seeing as how I picked a form of a character, which really threw him off ("does your character fight with a sword?")

Edit: I got him fair and square this time with Barbarossa, and again with the main protagonist from breath of fire three.:smallbiggrin:

though those where on his list of next guesses...

I stumped him two more times (with Valens and Magus Gallant) before he finally guess right (Soma Cruz)

Ascension
2009-03-30, 09:23 PM
I got him with Miko so that she wasn't even on the list of possible options afterward, but that's probably because I told him she was "bad" and he was looking for outright evil instead of misguided Lawful Good.

arguskos
2009-03-30, 09:26 PM
Got 'im with Kaylee from Firefly, but she was on the list afterwards. He DID manage to get the God-Emperor of Mankind though. o.O

ZeroNumerous
2009-03-30, 09:27 PM
I beat him with Negi Springfield. He expected "Is your character a teenager" to mean "is he young or old".

EDIT: He successfully guessed CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

snoopy13a
2009-03-30, 09:30 PM
I got him with Bedtime Bear from the Care Bears and Hermia from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

He did guess Macbeth. I think that was fairly good.

Raz_Fox
2009-03-30, 09:45 PM
I stumped him with Art from Sequential Art, Reyson from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Secret from Keychain of Creation.

He got Ike and Seto Kaiba, though...

Freako
2009-03-30, 10:03 PM
I got him on the first try with Balrog from Cave Story, although he was right on the top of the list afterward. He guessed Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario. The questions which threw him off were "Is your character bad?" to which I said "Probably not" (that's such a subjective question, really...), "Is your character a robot?" to which I said "Don't know" (which is true; Pixel himself doesn't even know!), and "Is your character linked with Nintendo?" which was a "Yes" (he'll be on Wiiware pretty soon).

This is certainly interesting. I'll have to show my friends this.

Coplantor
2009-03-30, 10:16 PM
I beat him with Negi Springfield. He expected "Is your character a teenager" to mean "is he young or old".

EDIT: He successfully guessed CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

Hahaha, that's funny, because I beated him with Miyazaki Nodoka.

Rutskarn
2009-03-30, 11:01 PM
GOT: Gordon Freeman
DID NOT GET: Gordon Frohman

KNEW: Black Mage
DID NOT GET: Richard

GOT: Elwood Blues
DID NOT GET: Jake Blues, considering it's the exact same description.

GOT: Shaun of the Dead
ALSO GOT: Zoey from Left 4 Dead (dammit, thought I had them)
ALSO ALSO GOT: The Pyro
ALSO ALSO WIK: Agatha Heterodyne (Frick, I was sure it was on the wrong track)
ALSO ALSO ALSO WIK: Carrot Ironfoundersson
OKAY, HOLY CRAP: Fenix. That one minor character from "StarCraft".
SERIOUSLY, HOW THE HELL: Scheherazade? Seriously? How the hell?

DID NOT GET: Max from Sam and Max
DID NOT GET OR EVEN FRIGGIN' KNOW: Opus (seriously?)
DID NOT GET, BUT GOT CLOSE TO: Moist from Dr. Horrible.

Okay, enough dancing around. Time to put this thing through its paces.

A-HA!

Not only did it not guess Tsarmina, major adversary of Brian Jacque's Mossflower, it didn't even KNOW Tsarmina!

I...yeah, I probably just wasted ten minutes.

EDIT: What the hell? It didn't know Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer?

Another_Poet
2009-03-30, 11:10 PM
NOOO!

Why did you show me this website? WHY?

Pink
2009-03-30, 11:49 PM
This is really awesome, but I stumped him with Anansi from American Gods

And then I proceeded to stump him three times in a row with Diana Wynne Jones. It was only by the third time she appeared on the 'next best guess' list.

Rutskarn
2009-03-31, 12:21 AM
Okay, it got friggin' Chicago Ted.

We, as a species, have now a.) created Chicago Ted, and

b.) Created a computer program capable of recognizing Chicago Ted.

I think...yeah, I think we've just about done it all.

For the uninitiated: this is the sum total of Chicago Ted's existence.

http://philnelson.name/wpfiles/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/1226558229824.jpg

Athaniar
2009-03-31, 04:58 AM
Let's see what this thing can do, I'll start out easy...

It correctly guessed Jack O'Neill from Stargate. A good start.

It correctly guessed Xykon. It has proved its worth.

It correctly guessed Grand Admiral Thrawn. Very impressive. I'll have to try more later.

Fri
2009-03-31, 06:20 AM
HOLY FREAKIN BOOP! He correctly guessed Feena! From Grandia!

How the hell did he do that?

Mind reading cyborg is on the loose. Prepare for war, guys

Edit:

holy boop man... he got our favourite hot blooded heterochromic tsundere mecha pilot Katina Tarask. How the hell did he do that? I didn't really think the questions were that pointing. Sure she's blond, she's riding a giant robot, and she's not french. BUT HOW THE HELL DID IT PINPOINT LIEUTENANT KATINA!

Dispozition
2009-03-31, 06:49 AM
Got him with Vincent Volaju from the Cowboy Bebop movie.

This has totally made me fail Year 12 though...I hate whoever made this.

Athaniar
2009-03-31, 06:59 AM
Let's see how good you REALLY are, Akinator...

Correct guess on Sargeras. So far, so good.

Correct guess on The Master, although that one wasn't too hard.

Failed guess on Seven of Nine. He came up with someone I've never even heard of, although Seven was on the "second choices" list.

Failed guess on Mabus. Apparently, the only First Wave characters he'd heard of were Cade and Joshua. Well, now he knows one more.

Correct guess on A'dal, but then again, not many characters match that description.

Correct guess on Delenn. Good.

Correct guess on Darion Mograine. Also good.

Failed guess on Xavius (guessed Lich King), but I let him try again. Failed again (guessed Thrall).

Failed Miko. Ah, I have to go now. Still, intriguing program.

Dr. Bath
2009-03-31, 07:04 AM
Pft. It didn't even know Captain Bluebear! Not at all! Bah!

And for some reason knew Mr. Croup, but not Mr. Vandemar. :smallconfused:

It did get Hari Seldon, so it can't be all bad.

Thormag
2009-03-31, 07:25 AM
He guessed Nite Owl II, Jim Carrey, Jim Gordon, El Chavo del 8 (!) and Boromir.
He failed Babi (from Golden Sun).

I love this little genie.

EDIT: He guessed Yathzee! ...I'm shocked.

WNxHasoroth
2009-03-31, 07:45 AM
Got him with Commissar Yarrick. He thought it was Rico from Starship Troopers :P

To his credit he got the right Captain Price from CoD 4

Pronounceable
2009-03-31, 07:56 AM
Not this again. I hate that thing. Ugly, smug, time wasting little bastard...

Got Zeus, which I knew it would.

Failed on Ms Bellum of Powerpuff Girls (got Daphne instead).

Failed on Shaper Barzahl from Geneforge 2 (unsurprisingly didn't even know of him).

Failed on Erika from Exile/Avernum series (amusingly got Elika which is totally unrelated but matches %80).

Then decided to get funny about connection. Luckily, not much time's been wasted this time.

Athaniar
2009-03-31, 08:36 AM
Let's try the OotS cast, starting with the Order itself:

Roy: Correct
Haley: Correct
Elan:Failed, thougt it was Roy again. Same on second try.
Durkon: Failed twice, but at least it was a dwarf second time.
Vaarsuvius: Correct
Belkar: Correct

And Team Evil (except for Xykon):

Redcloak: Failed
MitD:
Roaches:

More later.

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-31, 08:39 AM
Stumped him with O-chul. But then, I didn't expect him to get O-chul anyway. That would have been just creepy. :smalltongue:

Tensu
2009-03-31, 08:53 AM
If you get bored, try answering every question with the same answer:smallbiggrin:

He correctly guessed himself.

I found a few that weren't on his list. I know Magus Gallant is on his list and tried to make him guess him, but he always guesses Ike... the two just have too much in common, se he goes for the better known one I guess.

I think He often wastes time asking question about hair color and nationality, which especially hurts him with fictional characters that he should have otherwise gotten. He also seems to ask questions in an inopportune order from time to time, or ask a question that seems redundant given an already answered question.

Egiam
2009-03-31, 09:11 AM
http://en.akinator.com/photo/partenaire/h/505777__2088410010.jpg

Yeah.

Aptera
2009-03-31, 11:18 AM
I got him with Loki, Nobody Owens, and Coraline. Doesn't seem particularly well versed in the works of Neil Gaiman, but I'm helping!

Haven
2009-03-31, 11:26 AM
It didn't get Molly Hayes, thanks to a series of staggeringly irrelevant questions. Which is too bad.

...Wow, didn't get any of the Runaways. In fact, I need to "introduce" Xavin, Gert, Alex, and Chase to it. That's sad :( Runaways needs more love :(

Fostire
2009-03-31, 12:54 PM
He didn't guess Zadok Allen. I tried 3 times and he couldn't guess it (his guesses were Huckleberry Fin, Quetzalcoatl, and some guy I don't know)

Athaniar
2009-03-31, 03:16 PM
Let's try more OotS:

Redcloak: Failed again.
MitD: Failed Once, Failed Twice.
Demon Roaches: Failed Once, Failed Twice.
Lord Shojo: Failed.

This Genie needs to read more OotS.

UltraDude
2009-03-31, 03:35 PM
Ibis Douglas from SRW: Failure.

Harry Ord from Turn A Gundam: Success!

Bian Zoldark from SRW: Still learning.

Asuna Elmaritt from Gundam Ecole Du Ciel: On the list a lot, but never gotten...

Needs to ask if people are real earlier.

Tengu_temp
2009-03-31, 03:55 PM
Ibis Douglas from SRW: Failure.

Ha, he got her when I asked. He also seems to have good knowledge of fairly obscure anime series, such as Genshiken, Mushi-shi or Twelve Kingdoms. On the other hand, sometimes he tends to ask a lot of redundant questions and then can't correctly guess very well-known characters.

Well, it's up to us to make him smarter!

Athaniar
2009-04-02, 05:08 AM
Let's try some Watchmen characters.

Rorschach: Correct
Silk Spectre II: Correct
Nite Owl II: Correct
Ozymandias: Correct
Doctor Manhattan: Correct
The Comedian: Correct on second guess
Bubastis: Correct

He's good. Too good...

By the way, who adds the pictures?

Eldan
2009-04-02, 07:58 AM
Okay, I started with some easy ones, then got harder.

Barack Obama: guessed correctly. As I said, easy.

Albert Einstein: 16 questions, but he found him. Strange questions here. After the basics, he asked if it was a scientist, if he was dead, if he lived in the 20th century, if he was european. good so far. Then came "Is the character confused about his gender?" followed by some logical ones again.

Getting slightly more difficult:
Wilhelm Tell: 19 questions, then he guessed El Cid, with a title page from what I assume is a PC game. He was on the list, though. Two questions after each other: Is your character European? - Yes - Is he from New Zealand? :smallsigh: