PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a Dragonfire Adept

Enochi
2009-03-31, 07:28 PM
I have a level 6 dragonfire adept and roughly 10-12k to spend on an item for him. I was hoping to find something to boost his breath damage but baring that whatever you think would be good for him

He is a Mongrelfolk, Stats are str S6 Dex 17 Con 22 Int 13 Wis 14 and Cha 11

Only item of note currently is Bag of tricks - tan

Current Feats

Dragontouched
Power Surge
Maximize Breath
Lingering Breath
Clinging Breath
Extangling Exhalation

And I have so many due to 1 extra at first level from DM and 1 flaw

Flaw:
Shaky -2 to ranged attack rolls

Breath Effects:
Frost Breath
Weaking Breath

Invocations:
Magic Insight
Endure Exposure
Humanoid Shape

Also good to know is items to look for in the future.

Oh I also have a limited wish ....what should I use it for?

DMs are very nice when you bring them in 3 new splatbooks.

Draz74
2009-03-31, 07:34 PM
Well, the all-time Must Have Item for DFAs is the Dragon Spirit Cincture from Magic Item Compendium. It only boosts your breath a little bit (1d6), but then again, it's not expensive (2000 gp).

streakster
2009-03-31, 07:59 PM
JanusJones DFA Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=11306509&postcount=8) I linked to the items section, but really, the whole thing is a great read.

I personally would grab some metamagic draughts.

If you go with the cincture (also a great choice), be sure to get a weapon, and some crystals for it. Synergy and whatnot, and that's a really cheap way to go about it. Defending and Smoking are great weapon enhancements, if you don't like armor, so you can keep those in mind for later.

Enochi
2009-03-31, 08:55 PM
What kind of weapon would you sugest and where can I find the smoking enhancement?

streakster
2009-03-31, 09:01 PM
What kind of weapon would you sugest and where can I find the smoking enhancement?

Smoking is from Lords of Darkness - 3.0, I believe. I was lucky the DM had it.

As for weapons, they're simple, so whatever. I believe I went with a defending smoking wand-chambered punching dagger, with crystals, of course. Only ever used it for coup-de-gracing sleep-breathed foes.

VelvetThunder
2009-04-01, 07:04 AM
I have a level 6 dragonfire adept and roughly 10-12k to spend on an item for him. I was hoping to find something to boost his breath damage but baring that whatever you think would be good for him

He is a Mongrelfolk.

You're after my heart for sure, picking my favorite race and class! As for your question though, A cloak of arachnidia! You probably know what it does already but in case you don't.... It'll give you spider climb, and there is nothing cooler than a cone of fire coming from the ceiling. The only issue is that it's 14K so you'd have to save up a little bit. I will say from experiance though that it is a good compliment to the class, and will get you some interesting breath weapon set ups.

Enochi
2009-04-01, 01:40 PM
thanks for the wonderful items so far I think they will be alot of help. One thought though. Given that I am a Mongelfolk I can use any item that would normally limited to a single race ex. Elf-only items. Would any of those help me much?

Prime32
2009-04-01, 01:51 PM
Get a dwarf buckler-axe (Make it out of mithral if you use invocations in battle and are worried about ASF). Put least energy assault weapon crystals on it, your main weapon and both your gauntlets. That should cover you for Five-fold Breath of Tiamat.

Prime32
2009-04-01, 01:52 PM
Get a dwarf buckler-axe (Make it out of mithral if you use invocations in battle and are worried about ASF). Put least energy assault weapon crystals on it, your main weapon and both your gauntlets. That should cover you for Five-fold Breath of Tiamat. If you need another weapon crystal on your main weapon, get armour spikes.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-04-01, 02:09 PM
I'd get a +1 Twilight Mithril Breastplate with a Thistledown Suit. Twilight is in PH2 in a sidebar with Duskblade, Thistledown Suit is in Races of the Wild. You'll take its -3 armor check penalty to attack rolls, unless you want to pull some humanoid racial proficiency shenanigans by describing your character as wearing light armor. That armor has a 0% chance of arcane spell failure, and add on a mithril buckler or light shield and your AC will be amazing.

Draz74
2009-04-01, 02:20 PM
For weapon, I recommend Longspear. If you're not planning to use a weapon much anyway, it's surprisingly useful to have Reach and occasionally pull off an opportunity attack.