PDA

View Full Version : Where will V go now?

The_Void
2009-04-02, 04:01 AM
Azure City? Greysky? The boats? Somewhere else?

TheBST
2009-04-02, 04:06 AM
I foresee an epic teleportation spell being used to drop the entire Azurite fleet inland.

Or maybe V gets in contact with Haley at last, only to find out that, behind the scenes, Durkon got the sending message, the party's been reunited and Roy's alive.

Or would that be too cruel to V (and we readers)?

evileeyore
2009-04-02, 04:47 AM
Azure city to kick Xykon's ass, where upon it will be determined Xykon is gone and the fleet is already returning, then to Greysky to save Haley and Roy's body where it will be found that Haley and the new imporved faux-Lawful Belkar have already gotten Roy raised...

Then Vaarsuvius will see the futility inherent in the system.

Belkster11
2009-04-02, 05:54 AM
I could see the Giant doing that to V.

Maybe the Great Sacrifice isn't over, the family thing was just beginning.

Maybe...

V gets back and Roy discovers what she had done and in anger, removes her from the Order? Look at how Haley kicked Belkar out for offing the Oracle before they walked through the Memory-Erasing charm/barrier.

Axl_Rose
2009-04-02, 05:59 AM
He's going to give new meaning to the phrase meta-humour by appearing in the Giant's living room.

Damn that woulda made for a nice April Fool's comic.

Volkov
2009-04-02, 07:50 AM
At the moment V probably could not take on Team evil. A level 17+ strangely medium sized goblin, a level 21-25 Sorcerer, a Level 3-5 wizard with 3-5 cleric levels who has 7-10 levels in mystic theruge, and lastly a childish monster who has more damage reduction than most demon lords. Not to mention a couple boatloads of clerics to heal them.

Also V is still limited to just one rounds worth of actions.

Zevox
2009-04-02, 08:06 AM
At the moment V probably could not take on Team evil. A level 17+ strangely medium sized goblin, a level 21-25 Sorcerer, a Level 3-5 wizard with 3-5 cleric levels who has 7-10 levels in mystic theruge, and lastly a childish monster who has more damage reduction than most demon lords. Not to mention a couple boatloads of clerics to heal them.

Redcloak is level 15+ - we've never seen any evidence of him being higher than 15.

Xykon is 22-23. Someone in the Class Levels & Geekery Thread pegged him at that ranged due to Durkon's ability to dispel one of his spells during the Battle of Azure City arc.

We've never seen any evidence that Tsukiko is more than a Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 6 (CL 9 in each). 5th-level is the highest power of spells she has cast.

Considering V has the power of two of the most powerful evil epic casters from history at her disposal, the only one of the lot who may be a problem for her is Xykon, and even he is probably fairly well out of his league facing V in her current state. And any lesser clerics they tried to get to aid them would be smoked with a couple of Quickened and/or Widened Fireballs, at most. The Monster is the one unknown factor, but if he can't fly, and we've no reason to believe he can, odds are V'd be fine.

Which is in part why I really doubt V will go to Azure City - too easy a resolution to the threat of Xykon and Redcloak. Plus, her current prerogative is to find Haley and reunite the Order - and since she currently has no idea where Haley & co are, we can rule out Greysky City. If I had to guess where she just teleported off to, I'd say the refugee fleet. But that's strictly a guess, mostly because I can't figure out where else she could possibly want to go.

Zevox

Omegonthesane
2009-04-02, 08:09 AM

V on his own probably couldn't do the job, but V still has Ganonron's Epic spell slots. Ganonron is described as having teleported vast armies to conquer world after world. It would be reasonable to assume some of those armies are still in existence, and would still follow Ganonron if he could offer them a chance for bloodshed. So it won't be V versus all of Team Evil, it'll be V and Ganonron's whole army versus all of Team Evil, with the net result that V will at least stand a decent chance.

My guess is V summons Ganonron's army to take Azure City only to leave them to it, and Team Evil loses Azure City to the invaders (or maybe they defeat Ganonron's army only to be caught off guard by the Azure City Resistance). V's next priority is to reunite the party, which works, followed by getting Roy rezzed - which Haley & Celia have covered already.

Then ve drops the splice, judging that ve need not damn virself for any more rounds. After all, why should V be satisfied with temporary Ultimate Arcane Power, when ve's only a little level grinding (and perhaps a few doilies) away from permanent Ultimate Arcane Power?

Volkov
2009-04-02, 08:54 AM
V on his own probably couldn't do the job, but V still has Ganonron's Epic spell slots. Ganonron is described as having teleported vast armies to conquer world after world. It would be reasonable to assume some of those armies are still in existence, and would still follow Ganonron if he could offer them a chance for bloodshed. So it won't be V versus all of Team Evil, it'll be V and Ganonron's whole army versus all of Team Evil, with the net result that V will at least stand a decent chance.

My guess is V summons Ganonron's army to take Azure City only to leave them to it, and Team Evil loses Azure City to the invaders (or maybe they defeat Ganonron's army only to be caught off guard by the Azure City Resistance). V's next priority is to reunite the party, which works, followed by getting Roy rezzed - which Haley & Celia have covered already.

Then ve drops the splice, judging that ve need not damn virself for any more rounds. After all, why should V be satisfied with temporary Ultimate Arcane Power, when ve's only a little level grinding (and perhaps a few doilies) away from permanent Ultimate Arcane Power?

I doubt V will ever live to see level twenty.

Omegonthesane
2009-04-02, 11:47 AM
I doubt V will ever live to see level twenty.

Sure V won't see level twenty in OotS, because then he'd be permanently too powerful for Xykon to challenge him - which is a bit of a big no-no story-wise, given Xykon is the primary antagonist of the entire story. This isn't FF, you can't entertain uber-powerful characters just by throwing in a bonus boss or three.

However there's every reason to think he'll survive the final fight with Xykon, and if he gets out of that alive, there's little need to worry about his safety when the story is over and there's no way he'll stop his research until he's got for himself some of the power he's tasting now, during the soul-splice.

Mannryu
2009-04-02, 12:14 PM
I pretty much think that V will go find Haley. Seeing as his/her powers failed so many times in finding her, it's about time s/he uses the new ones to search for her.

Silverraptor
2009-04-02, 12:41 PM
Where will V go now? Back to the island? Who knows.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-04-02, 12:53 PM
I like this possible scenario (it hinges on Haera sharing the Familicide spell with Ganonron):

:vaarsuvius: I must keep my wrathful impulses under control...though I may be indebted to fiends, I shall-
Female Chimera: Vaarsuvius? Almost a year ago you destroyed a chimera named Trigak-my mate. I-
:vaarsuvius: Quickened Maximized Magic Missile! Empowered Fireball!
Female Chimera: Ow! The Death! (Dies)
:vaarsuvius: Create Greater Undead! Familicide! I have taken the necessary precautions to protect my family from any vengeance your kind may-
Undead Female Chimera: :smallfurious: I was going to THANK you, you trigger happy psychopath! He was an abusive ***hole and I wanted to express my gratitude!
:vaarsuvius::smalleek:
Ganonron: :smallbiggrin: I'm outta here, see ya Jeph.
Jephton: :smallfrown: I'm last...and all alone...just like high school. :smallsigh:

Volkov
2009-04-02, 02:02 PM
Sure V won't see level twenty in OotS, because then he'd be permanently too powerful for Xykon to challenge him - which is a bit of a big no-no story-wise, given Xykon is the primary antagonist of the entire story. This isn't FF, you can't entertain uber-powerful characters just by throwing in a bonus boss or three.

However there's every reason to think he'll survive the final fight with Xykon, and if he gets out of that alive, there's little need to worry about his safety when the story is over and there's no way he'll stop his research until he's got for himself some of the power he's tasting now, during the soul-splice.

Xykon is known to be above level twenty, so even if V was level twenty by the time he got there Xykon would have gained plenty of levels and maybe even reach level 30. Or worse yet, reach level 30 and become a demi-lich. A CR 38 monster would blow the party out of the water even if they all reached level 20, then again, his hit point count would not equal a non-templated challenge rating 38 monster.

Also if Xykon became a demi-lich, he'd be pretty much the only one in the entire OOTSworld to have a decent spot, and listen check, as he'd get a +25 bonus to them. 20 from the bonus from the template, five from the stat increase.

Not to mention he'd get five bonus spells per day.

But by the time the party reached level twenty Xykon would be seven levels above them and Red Cloak four to five levels above them. Tsusiko would also be level 20, probably a level 5 wizard and cleric with ten levels in mystic theruge.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-04-02, 02:25 PM
Well, judging from her last words, "I need to fix everything", I'm guessing that (s)he's going to go back to the boat and apologize for leaving them. What happens then is anyone's guess. What I think? V's familiar will come back and something will happen with that. I'm just guessing, though.

David Argall
2009-04-02, 03:20 PM
V teleports away...that would seem to be to a known target. I suppose there is somewhere a "teleport to named individual" spell, but it seems more likely V is off to a named location.

That puts Azure City at the top of the list, to just blast Xykon away. And yes, V can take Xykon, Redcloak, and assistants, fairly easily. She is level 30 at minimum and possibly level 60. It is not even a fight, except to the extent V wants to amuse himself.
We can't have Xykon destroyed now, so Xykon escapes permanent destruction, tho he may get killed again. But he or Redcloak may hide. Or V may get distracted by the rift.
Anyway, V likely ends up losing the splice and Xykon heads for the next gate.

A variant here may be more likely. V first drops in on the fleet and has words with the paladins. This may well not work well. However, she may get the fleet to Azure City.

snafu
2009-04-02, 03:32 PM
Can V teleport to the fleet?

She's been gone, what, a week? The fleet could be hundreds of miles away from its last known location by now. I don't think that counts as having a clear idea of the location of the destination; Greater Teleport relaxes those restrictions considerably, but I'm still not certain: does 'a reliable description' include a reasonably accurate location?

batsofchaos
2009-04-02, 05:01 PM
I think V is either headed towards the fleet, or back to the barren island. The plan? Use some epic magic to locate Haley. This will, of course, be too late as the party will have been reunited sans V before V even accepted the deal. This impotence, which has been a niggling problem with V since Azure City fell, will drive V over the edge; here V is, buffed up with Ultimate Arcane Power, and gosh-darned it, V is going to USE IT to show EVERYONE how powerful magic is. This is, of course, after the shock wears off (which will include the shedding of another splice). This will, unfortunately, be Ganonron, leaving V considerable power, but will make V's planned course of action considerably more difficult: take down Xykon. The plan will be brash, half-cocked, and unsuccessful. The end result will alter V's relation to the Order forever.

GSFB
2009-04-02, 11:21 PM
What happens if you teleport to "the bridge of the ship" as opposed to, say, 180W, 35N? The ship is moving, but "the bridge" is always in the same spot relative to, say "the rudder."

And considering the WHOLE PLANET is moving in space, it makes sense that THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a "fixed point" for reference.

So, I say, V could teleport to the ship, regardless of where it is.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-04-02, 11:30 PM
Azure city to kick Xykon's ass, where upon it will be determined Xykon is gone and the fleet is already returning, then to Greysky to save Haley and Roy's body where it will be found that Haley and the new imporved faux-Lawful Belkar have already gotten Roy raised...

Then Vaarsuvius will see the futility inherent in the system.
No, the "futility" is that V will have to pay back three times the time spent in the soul splice.

The fact of the matter is that V is very strategically placed to do a lot of damage, should the underlords decide to collect their debt at an inopportune moment.

Think of it this way: The OotS are at a gate. And at the last moment: "You will deliver control of the gate to us by backstabbing the party."

Colmarr
2009-04-02, 11:33 PM
"I need to fix everything"

Given the level of magic available to V at the moment, I highly doubt V's plan will be anything so simple as "teleport here, kill that" or something similar.

I think we're going to see something pretty mind-bending, possibly including time travel.

theMycon
2009-04-03, 12:16 AM

This is conventional thinking. Conventional thinking on an epic scale, yes, but it's still basically Greater Teleport/Gate on steroids- it still lets them fight back.

Epic thinking is more along the lines of "I'll cast a single spell to teleport every living creature in Azure City to a random position on a random plane, then turn the air itself into a greater disrupting weapon, then smash Xykon while the zombie allies he has around him are still wondering why they're all spontaneously combusting." That just leaves the problem of finding Redcloak (who may return on his own) and smashing him, the phylactery, and any creatures who happen to be nearby.

And, I suppose were Epic-V nonevil, bringing back all the rest of the folk he just ported.