PDA

View Full Version : Red Survival Theories

Brewdude
2009-04-02, 10:49 PM
So, why do you think Red will survive?

My crackpot theory:

The pliers turn uncroaked things to dust. The volcano is uncroaked, therefore, the area around the pliers fails to erupt.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-04-02, 11:19 PM

My crackpot theory:

The pliers turn uncroaked things to dust. The volcano is uncroaked, therefore, the area around the pliers fails to erupt.

A question to your question:

Does it really matter?

boxart
2009-04-03, 01:58 AM

My crackpot theory:

That's all well and good, but I don't think that your logic will hold up when she gets doused with a massive torrent of lava.

Edit: It would be like the plier's protecting Ansom from the swords of his uncroaked companions.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-03, 04:38 AM
A question to your question:
Does it really matter?

What are you doing here, only members of the SINDY (Scarlet Is Not Dead Yet) or RIDY (Red Isn't Dead Yet) are allowed.

As for my crackpot theory, it involves fire resistance (natural and item granted) and a certain as yet unaccounted for "carpet".

Opal Tide
2009-04-03, 02:05 PM
A proud (though lonely) member of RIsDY (new name of for Red Isn't Dead Yet (RIDT) Club, membership still available) checking in.

I think that right now the Arkentools are very much still a mystery. We know, in Stanley's case, they grant combat bonuses, the taming of dwagon, a nifty Van De Graaf attack and the ability to turn some nuts into birds (and vice versa). for Charlie they apparently enhance thinkamancy to an extreme degree. It strikes me that these are pretty inconsequential abilities if they were once tools of the very creators of Erf World reality.

Stanley is probably not introspective enough to explore all the subtleties of his tool and Charlie is too crafty to let anyone else know his full power. With this is mind I believe the Erf World team has near limitless flexibility with what Arkentools can do.

In this case I believe the arkenpliers deal with Fate magic. If there is one thing the canon of myth and fantasy has taught us, its that Fate is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. I could see the pliers being able to twist reality in such a way that the lava and poisonous gas pass around Red/Scarlet. It might be a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance of occurring but the arkenpliers could twist reality to attain that outcome.

Mostly I want her to still be alive because of the unique perspective and motivation her character would bring to the rest of the books.

Glome
2009-04-04, 03:31 AM
The only even slightly plausible way Red could have survived is if the pliers teleported her out of the hex. None of the other theories also explain why all the thinkamancers report every unit was lost except for teleportation and the carpet theory. But for the carpet theory to be correct, it would have to have lava immunity and be at ground level, both of which seem very unlikely.

I really don't know why so many people want Red to be alive anyway. Even if she survived, she would be too scarred by the events at GK to be a real player in coming events, nevermind that her overlord probably wanting to play it safe from now on. Frankly, I don't see what role she could play that Jillian wouldn't do a better job at. In fact, there are at least a half dozen people I'd rather the pliers end up with, rather than a no name redheaded warlord.

FalconPunch
2009-04-04, 08:13 PM
The only even slightly plausible way Red could have survived is if the pliers teleported her out of the hex. None of the other theories also explain why all the thinkamancers report every unit was lost except for teleportation and the carpet theory. But for the carpet theory to be correct, it would have to have lava immunity and be at ground level, both of which seem very unlikely.

I really don't know why so many people want Red to be alive anyway. Even if she survived, she would be too scarred by the events at GK to be a real player in coming events, nevermind that her overlord probably wanting to play it safe from now on. Frankly, I don't see what role she could play that Jillian wouldn't do a better job at. In fact, there are at least a half dozen people I'd rather the pliers end up with, rather than a no name redheaded warlord.

BUT SHE'S HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

DigoDragon
2009-04-04, 08:35 PM

The biggest reason to keep any character on a show, eh? :smallbiggrin:

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 02:51 AM
I really don't know why so many people want Red to be alive anyway.

Ya know, you can pile arguments for her demise: she's wearing red, no name badge, barely a couple of lines a hundred strips ago, sitting on a raging volcano ...

The sheer improbability of her survival makes her an epic Woobie and Underdog.

Go Scarlett!

mortissimus
2009-04-06, 04:22 AM
I think the simplest theory would be to assume that Arkentools all give flight power (like we have already seen with the Arkenhammer), it is Reds turn and she has move left so she attunes and flies away.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 04:50 AM
I think the simplest theory would be to assume that Arkentools all give flight power (like we have already seen with the Arkenhammer), it is Reds turn and she has move left so she attunes and flies away.

While I thought of that, it is not clear how much of that was the Hammer levitating and how much was an Invisible Dwagon hidden by Jack's veil.

mortissimus
2009-04-06, 05:26 AM
While I thought of that, it is not clear how much of that was the Hammer levitating and how much was an Invisible Dwagon hidden by Jack's veil.

In that scene it could be, but there is no invisible dragon here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0031.html

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 05:44 AM
Whoa, good call, I didn't remember that!

Thanks, well it looks like our favorite plausibility breaker has gotten a bit more plausible!

Opal Tide
2009-04-06, 09:20 AM
Of course flying didn't help the Archons out very much...

If she did survive (which is by no means certanin as much as many of us would like), I am still leaning towards the twisting of the odds/fate by the pliers to allow her to avoid all the harm form the volcano.

Red Isn't Dead Yet

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 09:45 AM

If she did survive (which is by no means certanin as much as many of us would like), I am still leaning towards the twisting of the odds/fate by the pliers to allow her to avoid all the harm form the volcano.

Red Isn't Dead Yet

Mix fire resistance, natural or (other) item gained with a possible Arken-levitation and you may have a recipe to avoid the Archons' fate.

I don't know if we're that many that want her to survive; it's just that it's so astronomically unlikely that it makes for good speculation. I am still holding my fingers crossed.

Scarlett Is Not Dead Yet!

Haven
2009-04-06, 10:20 PM

Lava does that.

mortissimus
2009-04-07, 02:08 AM

Red Isn't Dead Yet

The Archons used up their move on Charlies turn, before joining the RCC. The vulcano was uncroaked on the RCC's turn and Red should still had move left (warlords generally appear to have lot of move and the RCC's footsoldiers still had enough move to attack the dungeons). So if she could fly she could get the boop out of there.

Seeing how the only party we now know is heading towards Gobwin Knob is Stanley's we have two obvious endings here (the comic could pull a non-obvious one of course). Either Red has the Arkenpliers (which means she is not dead) or Stanley gets them. Both would work for alternative versions of book two.

Kreistor
2009-04-07, 02:11 AM
Either Red has the Arkenpliers (which means she is not dead) or Stanley gets them. Both would work for alternative versions of book two.

Or they are thrown far away by the explosion, or buried under layers of magma to be found decades later. Lots of possibilities.

TheMutant
2009-04-07, 08:03 PM
As I noted in the main thread, even if the 'pliers magically protected Red somehow, she still has to contend with Stanley's group likely showing up very soon- his turn's coming up soon, isn't it? It's plausible that she could move before him, if the RCC breaking restores units to when they'd normally move or GK's side is destroyed (wonder how barbarian turns work?)- but something tells me a single unit on foot and unmounted aint getting far. Really, nothing less than the pliers teleporting her several hexes out of the danger zone could save her from an eventual messy fate, the way I interpret it.

Grothka
2009-04-07, 08:50 PM
Allright so I don't know if this has been discussed, lord knows I haven't seen it, but it seems to me like the arkentools could all have an elemental allignment. We've already seen that the arkenhammer grants at least one electrical attack and allows for flight, could be alligned with air/wind type stuff. The Arkendish is housed in a frozen mountain range, doesn't necessarily mean much especially considering the fact that Charlie seems to be a recluse, but it could mean something. Well continuing with that idea the arkenpliers could be related to fire and could have a strong enough magic to either force the lava away (lava is close enough to fire right?) or something like that. Of course if this was the case I would assume that there are only 4 arkentools, and the final one would be the arkenshovel.

Opal Tide
2009-04-07, 11:42 PM
Seeing how the only party we now know is heading towards Gobwin Knob is Stanley's we have two obvious endings here (the comic could pull a non-obvious one of course). Either Red has the Arkenpliers (which means she is not dead) or Stanley gets them. Both would work for alternative versions of book two.

Which is why I am holding out for some sort of encounter with the shellshocked, though living Scarlet/Red who has become attuned to the pliers and Stanley. We don't know how attuning works (if only one person ever can become attuned ot them for instance), so Stanley may not kill Scarlet/Red but instead try to convert her to his side.

We don't know what impact the arkentools have on loyalty/duty (Stanley may have been granted the free will to commit regicide because of his attunement and it would explain why Scarlet/Red hasn't shown up on her faction's thinkamancer awareness). If Stanley could manipulate her into joining his side ("Come on kid, we're both attuned to an Arkentool, we were destined to be together.") I think that could be a really interesting plot line in the second story but mostly I hope Red is still alive.

Red Isn't Dead Yet!