PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Foreshadowing!

MattR
2009-04-03, 05:16 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0118.html

Foreshadowing of Parson's Volcanic Ruthlessness, the shape around ruthless Parson looks a lot like the shaft and chamber of a volcano AND it's red :)

Anyone else spotted possible foreshadowing?

Ovaltine Patrol
2009-04-03, 09:32 AM
I think you have something there, nicely spotted.

Zagaroth
2009-04-03, 09:12 PM
Must have rolled a 20 on his spot check.

Oh wait, wrong comic....

Bogardan_Mage
2009-04-04, 02:48 AM
Uh, personally I think this cigar might just be a cigar.

DoctorJest
2009-04-04, 03:29 AM
Uh, personally I think this cigar might just be a cigar.

Yeah I have to agree here. That's a really big stretch. REALLY big. As in hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy entry on the universe big.

Haven
2009-04-04, 03:50 AM
Yeah I have to agree here. That's a really big stretch. REALLY big. As in hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy entry on the universe big.

Saying it's that big a stretch is a bigger stretch.

I like to think it's foreshadowing. My read of the situation is that uncroak the volcano was a tactic he'd thought out a while ago, but hadn't considered in anything more than an academic way because he didn't want to be that horrible, but then, ruthlessness. Really, remembering this page was the only way I could reconcile his actions since--the slaughter in the tunnels, sending Bogroll to die, ordering Sizemore to collapse everything, killing a guy himself, and especially detonating the volcano, which is the culmination of it all--so linking the two makes a lot of sense.

Plus, you know...it's not like these pages just happened by accident.

MadScientistMat
2009-04-04, 02:48 PM
Good call. The cereal box art is at the very least a reminder that we're sitting on a volcano, and I hadn't paid it that much attention when it first appeared.

Gez
2009-04-04, 03:17 PM
Well yeah, but on the other hand, circles to surround character icons are hardly something out of the ordinary, and a red background behind sadistic or evil character is also quite common.

Imagine if the city's configuration was different, with a rainwater lake in the volcano's crater; and instead of making the volcano erupt Parson would have broken a dam to flood the coalition. Do you think the symbolism (circle around characters, red background) would have been different as well? With the color blue for Evil Chibi Parson, maybe? Personally, I don't think so.

Glome
2009-04-05, 03:43 AM
Imagine if the city's configuration was different, with a rainwater lake in the volcano's crater; and instead of making the volcano erupt Parson would have broken a dam to flood the coalition. Do you think the symbolism (circle around characters, red background) would have been different as well? With the color blue for Evil Chibi Parson, maybe? Personally, I don't think so.

Yes, actually I think in that case the background would be blue. We know that these stories are planned well in advance and Erfworld contains lots of inside jokes and often many layers of meaning. Why does it seem so improbable that this is purposeful foreshadowing rather then coincidence? Honestly though the only one who can answer this question for sure is either Rob or Jamie.