wippit
2006-08-25, 08:06 PM
Minimic
Tiny Abberation (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Dex, +2 size, +3 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
Attack: Sting +5 melee (1d4-1 and poison)
Full Attack: Sting +5 melee (1d4-1 and poison)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft / 0 ft
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, mimic shape
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +6, Disguise +12, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: 1/10th coins, 50% goods, 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Even the most exquisite-appearing piece of artwork can sting you, if you don't expect it.

The minimic is a creature similar to a mimic. Unlike their larger cousins, minimics rely on finesse and their poisonous sting rather than the brutal adhesive/acid frontal assault. Like mimics, minimics are masters of disguise.

Combat:

Minimics wait for unsuspecting creatures to apprach and even pick them up, as they take the shapes of bottles, small boxes, and even some weapons. It will sting their target and the scramble to safety while the poison goes to work. It will then adopt a strike-and-retreat offense, injecting more poison until their prey can no longer function.

Poison (Ex): A minimic's poison is an ecclectic neurotoxin which attacks both the mind and the muscles of the target. Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial and secondary damage 1d4 dex and 1d4 int. The save DC is constitution-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Mimic Shape (Ex): 'A minimic can assume the general shape of any object of Tiny size, such as bottles, boxes, light weapons sized for Medium characters, or one-handed weapons sized for Small characters. It cannot increase or decrease its size. Unlike a mimic, a minimic can alter its texture too, becoming as smooth as glass or a rough as sandpaper. Anyone who examines a minimic can detect it for what it is with a successful spot check vs the minimic's disguise check.

Skills: A minimic uses its Dex instead of Str on climb checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on disguise checks.

olelia
2006-08-25, 11:50 PM
A minimic can assume the general shape of any small object, such as bottles, boxes, light or size-small one-handed weapons, and the like. It cannot increase or decrease its size. Unlike a mimic, a minimic can alter its texture too, becoming as smooth as glass or a rough as sandpaper. Anyone who examines a minimic can detect it for what it is with a successful spot check vs the minimic's disguise check.

If the creature is already tiny size, isn't assuming a small object already increasing it's size thus muting the point of it can't increase its size?

wippit
2006-08-26, 12:22 AM
"any small object" is just saying they're small objects... not a size small creature. Having the sentence say "any tiny object" sounds weird.

Should I change that word?

Peregrine
2006-08-26, 01:21 AM
Yes. It's ambiguous when 'small' is a formally defined size category. Hey wait, actually, you do use small as a size category in there!

Mimic Shape (Ex): A minimic can assume the general shape of any small object, such as bottles, boxes, light or size-small one-handed weapons, and the like.
Oh hang on, I see now. You mean small as in the weapon category, which in 3.5 is not the same as its object size category. So yes, a Small longsword is a Tiny object. (And you also mention light weapons, which are Tiny for Medium characters.) Okay, fair enough.

Ahem. Back to my point. Yes, you should reword it, to something like, 'A minimic can assume the general shape of any object of Tiny size, such as bottles, boxes, light weapons sized for Medium characters, or one-handed weapons sized for Small characters.'

wippit
2006-08-26, 01:35 AM
What are you talking about? What's what it's said from the beginning.

Bluff check.... natural 1... oops...

asromta
2006-08-26, 05:21 AM
Abberations have a d8 hitdice, not d6, giving it 2d8+4 (13 hp).
It has a really high Strenght for its size, tiny creatures are normally in the 2 to 5 range. Its Constitution is also on the high size of tiny creatures and the sting base damage too.

Prehaps you should lower Strenght Constitution and the base damage and give it a racial bonus on the DC for its poison, making it more a hit and run creature.

(I am in this part revering to Table 5-1 on page 296 of the 3.5 MMI)

And there should be a note on its touch and flat-footed AC under armorclass.

wippit
2006-08-26, 06:07 AM
Abberations have a d8 hitdice, not d6, giving it 2d8+4 (13 hp).

Heh... I was looking at fey to get a size comparison, hence the d6... my bad...

It has a really high Strenght for its size, tiny creatures are normally in the 2 to 5 range. Its Constitution is also on the high size of tiny creatures and the sting base damage too.

Quasits are tiny with an 8 strength, Imps have a whopping 10. I went middle of the road. I agree on the con, i can drop it.

Sting damage again is going off of an imp, which is the only tiny creature I know of that stings. I suppose tiny scorpions do, but 1d2? Those are bugs, this thing is an abberation, it's supposed t obe a bit harder.

asromta
2006-08-26, 06:22 AM
You forgot to lower the DC on the poison, due to the lowered Con. Or you should make a note about a racial bonus on the DC.

I would do the latter one, as the poison is the creatures main weapon.

wippit
2006-08-26, 06:36 AM
You forgot to lower the DC on the poison, due to the lowered Con. Or you should make a note about a racial bonus on the DC.

I would do the latter one, as the poison is the creatures main weapon.

Simu-posted with my modify :)

asromta
2006-08-26, 05:35 PM
MitP Vote: Yes