PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps we will never see Parson again?

keybounce
2009-04-05, 07:35 PM
My thought is that we will never see Parson again. We will never find out what happens to him, his group, or his dice.

The comic is Erfworld. Chapter one was about the battle that just ended. Parson was a part of that battle, not a part of Erfworld, and he has left.

The only reason we say Parson before he appeared in Erfworld was to give his background, since he was going to be summoned.

Yes, Erfworld is based on his game system. But he's no longer around, and there's no reason to expect him to return.

Brewdude
2009-04-05, 08:28 PM
Yup. Loose plot threads always make for an enjoyable yarn. Clearly we should expect the authors to fail to clean any of them up.

Kreistor
2009-04-05, 09:15 PM
Since Parson gotti is an anagram of Protagonist, I'm thinking he'll be back.

That or you could be right. Otto Parsing. Or Gino Spartto. Tina Protogi?

Heh...

T-O-E
2009-04-05, 09:16 PM
We're going to at least see him return home.

Bawon von Howse
2009-04-05, 11:27 PM
it would be a shame not to see Parson again...however much a possibility, I don't think that it will happen! With the comic shooting back to Vinny, Jillian & Co, I don't think that we won't see Parson again before the end of this arc...I think the next comic will go back to Stanly however, but I'm also puzzled about turns....seeing as the coalition has fractured, the battle seems pretty over, who's turn is it next or will everyone be symultaneously turning as the main conflict is over!

small pumpkin m
2009-04-06, 12:49 AM
My thought is that we will never see Parson again. We will never find out what happens to him, his group, or his dice.

It was mentioned by Rob or Jamie at one point that Parson's group would probably be showing up again, which means it's likely (although not certain) that we'll see Parson again.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 02:33 AM
We will see Parson again.

The question you might have on your mind is whether he will stay on Stanley's side. I think not, for balance reasons (his work here is done), and the departure may be a return to the real world, disbanding/becoming barbarian (although this is not how disbandment works, apparently) or whatever the authors can think of.

But we'll see Parson again. And imo he will leave Stanley.

Hailfire
2009-04-06, 04:43 AM
Well, it could be that Parson is the tutorial character for Erfworld. The guy who's a good excuse for telling the audience the mechanics of Erfworld, whilst still being a master tactician. Once the viewers know how Erfworld works, Parson is put on a bus and the character who the rest of the story is focused on will then rear their head and take centre stage. This is even more viable as the huge upheaval of power after the Eruption may give a space for another budding warlord to start making an empire. That could also give us some insight into how the higher up 'economy' of Erfworld works, when a member of a small faction is suddenly forced to learn how to govern. Whilst we were (or possibly still are) with Parson, we only really saw the combat aspect of the world.

However, I doubt this is the last we see of Parson. I think he's either A. Gonna be forced to some other part of Erf, where he builds up another army B. Gonna be sent home and recalled later or C. Is in fact sent to the magic kingdom with the other casters (somehow).

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 04:48 AM
This is even more viable as the huge upheaval of power after the Eruption may give a space for another budding warlord to start making an empire.

This is the theory I've been putting forward for a while now. In Erfworld, everyone believes Stanley to be capable of blowing up volcanoes. Added to his "Titans' mandate" shtick, and the fact that he still has a sizeable army after most everyone else has been severely crushed, means that he will be feared by all. Feared enough to be made ruler of Erfworld or some-such.

In this scenario, a perfect Warlord is surely useful, but from a story point of view, very very imba.

Anias
2009-04-06, 09:47 AM
This is the theory I've been putting forward for a while now. In Erfworld, everyone believes Stanley to be capable of blowing up volcanoes. Added to his "Titans' mandate" shtick, and the fact that he still has a sizeable army after most everyone else has been severely crushed, means that he will be feared by all. Feared enough to be made ruler of Erfworld or some-such.

In this scenario, a perfect Warlord is surely useful, but from a story point of view, very very imba.

Ummm...Stanley doesn't have a "sizeable army." He has half a dozen dwagons, a KISS or two, and himself. And, perhaps, the trimancer and Parson if he has some way to get them back to Erf. He's got enough trouble just trying to get back on his feet, let alone conquering the rest of Erf. Also, no one (except perhaps Charlie) knows that he actually just blew up a volcano (as far as we know). If they find out that all he did was use a volcano, he will no longer be "feared by all" unless he finds himself another volcano. Also, while the spare troops (i.e. those spared to join the RCC and attack Stanley) were killed, each side will have kept its garrisons strong. The only serious threat, I think, is probably to Jetstone, since they lost the most of any of the Coalition sides. But Stanley no longer has three of his mages or his chief warlord (unless he can find a friendly portal), and so has nothing more than himself and a small strike force. His troops are powerful, and he's even tougher, but they're not nearly enough to take or intimidate any nearby side. Transylvito's already hunting him down, with a force powerful enough to take him out. Stanley must run and hide until he can build up a new city (perhaps GK, perhaps Faq) and form a new army.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-04-06, 09:57 AM
IRT Anias:

If your enemies are down to the palace guards, any army begins to look "sizeable". Point taken that the members of the coalition would have kept reserve troops, but on the topic of the volcano I disagree. From what Caesar told us in the previous strip, every side in the RCC believes there to have been a dirtamancy trap. That is, Erfworlders know Stanley to have very powerful forces at his command.

It is on that latter point that I think most sides on Erfworld would prefer to leave Stanley alone, and even more so pay tribute or whatever the appeasement diplomacy mechanics are.

EDIT: PS: you forgot Jack the Invisibilitator.

Cracklord
2009-04-07, 08:15 PM
Well, I dislike the character so much because he is very reminiscent of a self insert marty stu, but it would seem odd to get rid of him now. Of course, I could be so lucky. But I would prefer to see him die...