PDA

View Full Version : Where should this thing go?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-06, 06:14 PM
I want to make a new thread, but I'm not sure which subsection of the forum it should go in. It's based on something I found on the WOTC Character Development boards.

I saw this thread on another forum and thought it would be cute. The way it works is, someone posts a song (and YouTube link if possible, especially if the song is obscure), and the next poster responds with a character type that fits the song, and a short 1-2 sentence explanation why, then he posts a song of his own.

This was a lot of fun, because some characters are inspired by songs for some people. I know I got the idea for a Hexblade I played from hearing Turn the Page (Bob Seger's version) on the way home from work.

Merits can be anything - the lyrics, even the feel of the song.

Example:
Someone might post: Led Zepplin, Stairway to Heaven

Second Post might be: Gnome Cleric of Garl Glittergold. What other priest would actually want to buy a stairway to heaven? Then the second poster posts another song.

I wanted to do something similar here, but I'm not sure whether it would go in the Roleplaying Games section or the Silly Message Board Games. I'm personally hoping for an honest and serious discussion on D&D characters based on popular music, but I'm uncertain if the rules here preclude that. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2009-04-06, 10:19 PM
and the next poster responds with a character type that fits the song, and a short 1-2 sentence explanation why, then he posts a song of his own.

I think that right there will guarantee that the thread will devolve into a game, and not a serious discussion.

As you posted it, I'd say Silly Message Board Games. If you altered it a little, maybe by just saying "What songs do you associate with a character type and why?" then it might elicit more detailed responses.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-06, 10:59 PM
Could you explain in a little more detail please?

NerfTW
2009-04-07, 09:04 AM
I just think a starter that says "Post one or two lines" is going to result in a mass of one or two line posts. If you want detailed discussion, you need to start a discussion, not hope it evolves naturally out of a game.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-04-07, 11:01 AM
I agree with Nerf. Even if the posts are more than one or two lines, a rule that one must respond directly to the previous example and post an example of their own will hinder serious discussion of any examples. Everyone will be too concerned with the previous example and won't look very closely at any of the examples before that.